Message Reverse Sort Order
DJPuffyLemon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transatlantic Virus
    Posted: April 15 2008 at 01:25
Okay, add The Tangent to my list of complaints:
Originally posted by wikipedia wikipedia wrote:

....n 2002 by keyboardists Andy Tillison and Sam Baine of Parallel or 90 Degrees and Flower Kings guitarist Roine Stolt, bassist Jonas Reingold, and drummer Zoltan Csörsz.
Oh god! Roine Stolt ruins music!
ProgRockerJDS View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2008 at 17:26
I don't see the problem. Personally, I think that as long as it's good music, a band can do whatever they want, including writing a pop song designed to be a hit single. Pop music isn't bad, it's not prog but as long as it's well written pop, it's still good.

And as far as the outside influences go, a lot of artists copy other artists when they're writing music. It's nothing new.

Edited by ProgRockerJDS - April 12 2008 at 17:38
meat puppet View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2008 at 19:50
You misunderstood my comments.

I can quite happily live with any amount of outside influences in music, its the tag 'progressive' that I think is wrong, it probably always was. There are probably very few truly progressive bands around that take music to another level, most of those would be found in the true (eventualy mainstream) pop culture.....rap, reggae, soul, hiphop, dance etc, metal. Those influences find their way into 'progressive' bands, so you have to wonder what is truly progressive. I would suggest (and interviews with band members back this up) that most 'prog' bands regard themselves as simply 'rock'.

Your assertion that progressive bands borrow from the past can hardly be seen as innovative which is exactly my point........borrowing from the past is regressive. It is why these bands all have similar elements without one strong theme emerging, its the theme that is innovative.

Classicals heyday might be over but the classical music scene is far from dead........and its not my particular interest either. Take a look through the contemporary classic releases over the last few years, the music is pretty challenging !!

Again, remember I listen and love Tool, DT,Riverside, Opeth and cut my teeth in the heyday of prog which I lived and breathed.......ELP, Amon Duul, KC,VDG,PF,Genesis,PFM,Gentle Giant,Pete Sinfield,Yes,Nice,Moody Blues Hawkwind, BackDoor and many others. That was the days when  'progressive' was tabbed and back then it was a springboard from the bands of the day, the sound was different. These days that sound has simply been welded to other genres and though it is interesting its far from new......ie progressive.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2008 at 12:24

Meat puppet your comments sound like they came out of the mouth of someone who hates music with any outside influences....so like ALL music!

Of course rock/pop/prog music takes influences from previous sources, but it doesn't mean its regressive. True rock takes its influences from blues and folk, while prog admittedly does look further back to jazz and classical music, but that's only to become more innovative and original.

As for classical music, its innovative era seemed to exist around 300 years ago, what new stuff is it coming out with now? As far as I know, its a stagnant genre. While, rock (and in extension prog) is constantly evolving and looking forward...PROGRESSING if you will. :-p

Edited by DJPuffyLemon - April 06 2008 at 12:27
meat puppet View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2008 at 07:40
This is an interesting thread. It makes sense to me.

A know a classical composer who has listened to various bits of prog.....from ELP,Yes,Crimson,Tool,PF,DT..............he states, "its not proper music, its just an overlong pop song, or a combination of seperate songs bolted together, it doesn't go anywhere, just one big jam". I didn't understand that comment at the time.

That seems to be the essence of it........prog is just a re-hash of other music styles bolted togeter........thats why this thread exists. These bands are not progressive at all !

The real innovation is in the 3 minute pop song, not just the one you hear on the radio, the underground stuff, otherwise only classical music is really is progressive.

Thats not to stop anyone enjoying prog, immerse and enjoy I say and be aware that the lack of true progression is actually the nature of prog..........its actually regressive music. When metal bands happened then progsters welded that modern sound into the musical tapestry and continue to weld more bits as they become popular in the mainstream

EnglishAssassin View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2008 at 18:32
Originally posted by E-Dub E-Dub wrote:

Originally posted by el böthy el böthy wrote:

Originally posted by DJPuffyLemon DJPuffyLemon wrote:

very innovative neo-prog band

Isnt innovative and neo-prog an oxymoron?Geek

And didn't we just have a fairly big blow-up a month or two ago when somebody made a similar statement from way out in left field that had nothing to do with the thread?

There is something of a fair point being made here; that Marillion's early career bore a substantial creative debt to Gabriel-era Genesis.

Otherwise, I agree wholeheartedly with E-Dub; they've never been mere copyists, and they've successfully reinvented their sound several times over, Marbles being a case in point.

To try to address the original contention; I have always rather felt that much of the enjoyment to found listening to Transatlantic lay in the fact that they were paying unabashedly affectionate homage to the prog rock bands of the '70s.  Much the same applies, love them both as I do, to the Flower Kings, and, albeit to a lesser extent, Spock's Beard.  That's just something one has to accept when listening to them.  Modern symphonic prog is a somewhat backward-looking genre, but that doesn't, for me anyway, spoil the enjoyment of it.

Dream Theater are, to my mind, something of a different case.  Twenty years ago they staked out their territory, called it prog metal, and have been largely content to play around within those (fairly wide) boundaries since.  I think it would not be unfair to say that, like Marillion, they've still enjoyed more creative growth than most of the bands who influenced them.

A further thought occurs; Marillion have been recording for twenty five years, Dream Theater for nineteen, and have both managed, with, it must be admitted, some ups and downs (This Strange Engine, Falling Into infinity) to remain critically well-regarded.  From a certain point of view, that's a good deal longer than either Genesis, Yes or ELP ever managed.  From a certain point of view...

Edited by EnglishAssassin - April 05 2008 at 18:32
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2008 at 14:45
Transatlantic, though not groundbreaking, produced some of progressive's most memorable music in the past 10 years, in my opinion. What you have is sturdy prog music that stands the test of time. Then again, I'm not one of these over-thinkers who has to find meaning in every guitar chord or tom fill. I simply like what I hear.

The comments about Marillion simply slay me (as many of you could surmise). This band is constantly re-inventing themselves and trying new things to keep their music fresh. There's nothing stagnant or complacent about Marillion. The critique strikes me as being preconceived and ill-informed, but it shouldn't take away from what the band has done to re-establish themselves in the past 8 years.

I think it's abundantly clear that Marbles became one of Marillion's best...including anything from the previous administration. It's music that I haven't heard previously and many consider it a masterpiece. If people didn't "get it", then that's not Marillion's fault.

E
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2008 at 14:30

And didn't we just have a fairly big blow-up a month or two ago when somebody made a similar statement from way out in left field that had nothing to do with the thread?

I've seen it time and time again how there's no room for stuff like this, but it obviously goes in one snobbish ear and out the other.

E
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2008 at 14:13
Oh I like the Transatlantic albums, don't get me wrong! Smile Am less enthused about Neal Morse's solo output, though- he's another one that seems to be repeating himself now IMHO.

But really, let's face it, even some of the old acts started repeating themselves at some point- Yes' 'Keys To Ascension' albums and the ABWH album springs to mind.
I preferred albums like '90125' and 'Drama' to those backward-looking affairs; at least '90125' and 'Drama' had a contemporary sound, whilst ABWH and KTA show a band desparately trying to match former glories and failing (played 'That That Is' yesterday, it's still a mess!). I heard some samples of Asia's latest opus 'Phoenix' and it looks like they are stuck in a 1982 timewarp. Disappointing, really.

I agree with you, sleeper; looking to the 1970s for inspiration is not a bad thing in and of itself. As long as the songwriting is up to scratch I'm fine with it. But too often, I find it isn't. The worst offender for me was Glass Hammer's 'The Inconsolable Secret'- there was just no flow to the big epics on there, hardly any melodic refrains to latch onto. The only pleasure came from picking out where the influences came from and the retro synthesisers/keyboards...which is a pretty hollow pleasure in the end!
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2008 at 12:44
Originally posted by salmacis salmacis wrote:

Never had an issue with Spock's Beard's work. I think their recent output is weaker but at least they haven't repeated themselves. Compositionally, though I'll grant you there IS a definite AOR influence, I find them in a completely different league to most in the 'retro prog' field in that the melodies tend to be discernible and not tied up in endless musical derring-do. I liked Transatlantic too, but there's a tendency for greater 'bloat' than Spock's Beard had, with their two albums being almost entirely dominated by massive epics.

The Flower Kings are often guilty of that padding I mentioned, with melodies tending to be obscured by tangled music and overlong compositions. TFK are capable of moments of sublime beauty and they probably get closest to the original symphonic sound, but I agree with most of Bob/Easy Livin's reviews of theirs where he says that compositionally, their work does not always really 'flow' as well as the 70s symphonic acts did at their best. I love 'Stardust We Are' and 'Space Revolver' though, which keeps the epics to a minimum.

As for Dream Theater? I've never liked any of their albums in their entirety. Again, compositionally I have issues with them, as the solo sections are often too long and occasionally bear little resemblance to the crux of the song. I liked 'Systematic Chaos' when it came out but I can't have played it for months and months. It sure as hell didn't break any new ground, I'll grant you that much, and that's my issue with TFK's latest output too- they are retreading their own steps.

Marillion, though, I find to be on a higher plane than any of these acts. I'd argue that as much as I love the Fish-era albums, they have now become a more complex, rich (complex/rich to me doesn't mean twiddly time signatures and long solos) and certainly more diverse beast over the years. Perhaps the Hogarth albums are less consistent than the Fish ones, but more risks are arguably being taken. Fish still has something to say too though- '13th Star' is a brilliant album, sounding contemporary and packing a real emotional punch. I don't really see them as being more 'poppy'- there were always singles on the Fish albums too.

Once agian I find myslef having to agree almost completely with what salmacis has said (not the bit about Transatlantic though, I think they are two very well balanced, concieved and executed albums).

Good job that man.Clap

With rregards to the bands that stay close to thier influences, I have no problem with them. Symphonic prog is now the oldest genre of prog (I think) and subsequently has been explored to a very large degree, so its very hard for a modern band to brake the mold, besides how many of those classic bands are still recording albums at a high quality? Not many as far as I know , and they do say that veriety is the spice of life, I know I'd get bored with only a specific number of old albums and nothing new in the same style to look forward too after a while. 
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2008 at 11:39
Nice one Salmacis, well said!

Good to see you around, hope things are going well.
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2008 at 11:05
Never had an issue with Spock's Beard's work. I think their recent output is weaker but at least they haven't repeated themselves. Compositionally, though I'll grant you there IS a definite AOR influence, I find them in a completely different league to most in the 'retro prog' field in that the melodies tend to be discernible and not tied up in endless musical derring-do. I liked Transatlantic too, but there's a tendency for greater 'bloat' than Spock's Beard had, with their two albums being almost entirely dominated by massive epics.

The Flower Kings are often guilty of that padding I mentioned, with melodies tending to be obscured by tangled music and overlong compositions. TFK are capable of moments of sublime beauty and they probably get closest to the original symphonic sound, but I agree with most of Bob/Easy Livin's reviews of theirs where he says that compositionally, their work does not always really 'flow' as well as the 70s symphonic acts did at their best. I love 'Stardust We Are' and 'Space Revolver' though, which keeps the epics to a minimum.

As for Dream Theater? I've never liked any of their albums in their entirety. Again, compositionally I have issues with them, as the solo sections are often too long and occasionally bear little resemblance to the crux of the song. I liked 'Systematic Chaos' when it came out but I can't have played it for months and months. It sure as hell didn't break any new ground, I'll grant you that much, and that's my issue with TFK's latest output too- they are retreading their own steps.

Marillion, though, I find to be on a higher plane than any of these acts. I'd argue that as much as I love the Fish-era albums, they have now become a more complex, rich (complex/rich to me doesn't mean twiddly time signatures and long solos) and certainly more diverse beast over the years. Perhaps the Hogarth albums are less consistent than the Fish ones, but more risks are arguably being taken. Fish still has something to say too though- '13th Star' is a brilliant album, sounding contemporary and packing a real emotional punch. I don't really see them as being more 'poppy'- there were always singles on the Fish albums too.
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2008 at 08:33
Originally posted by fuxi fuxi wrote:

If I can add my two cents, it's worth listening to BANTAM TO BEHEMOTH by Birds and Buildings, the latest project of Dan Britton (keyboard virtuoso behind Deluge Grander): ambitious, highly inventive prog, predominantly instrumental and with all the restless fury of "The Gates of Delirium". I mean, let bands like Spock's Beard or Marillion compromise as much as they want to (IF that really is what they're doing), there still are first-rate North American bands out there, taking ideas from classic British prog to new levels!

True, and not only north american bands, but also some european bands. However, influence is one thing and repetition / copy is another. any bands nowadays are simply copying the 70's and that really sucks. If i wanted to hear prog that sounds like the 70's i would listen to the actual "old school" prog from the 70's itself or "old school" prog metal from the 90's and late 80's, i preffer listening to Yes / King Crimson / Dream Theater / ELP than to a band that souns like Yes / King Crimson / Dream Theater / ELP.

A good example of influence is Neal Morse's music, which is very influenced by thge 70's but its not exactly a copy, and , Pagan's Mind, that is a total Dream Theater copy (hell, even their name is written with the same DT letters).
fuxi View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2008 at 03:46
If I can add my two cents, it's worth listening to BANTAM TO BEHEMOTH by Birds and Buildings, the latest project of Dan Britton (keyboard virtuoso behind Deluge Grander): ambitious, highly inventive prog, predominantly instrumental and with all the restless fury of "The Gates of Delirium". I mean, let bands like Spock's Beard or Marillion compromise as much as they want to (IF that really is what they're doing), there still are first-rate North American bands out there, taking ideas from classic British prog to new levels!
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2008 at 19:47

Originally posted by CCVP CCVP wrote:

I think that you got it by the wrong approach. Instead of saying that this is the "Transatlantic Syndrome", you should call it "damn, we are too tired and way too old to write something interesting, so lets destroy everything we already did and make some horrible music".

In the Flower Kings case, i disagree. Stolt keep making his music as he always did but with more freedom to write whatever he wants to
Dude you are like the first to agree.

Important point with the kings. I don't know about them so I'll take your word for it and made power to them if that's what's up.

Maybe its because i am the only one here that shares your view of things that, after a wile (in DT's case that have been 20 years for Christ sake, and here i mean that they have been making good albums until Octavarium, but i really believe that Systematic was some kind of "accident"), people just run out of ideas and then go to some side that may be unwanted by the fans (like Metallica sadly did Cry).

In Marillion's case i think that the band is incredible mediocre without Fish and Fish's solo career is not that good also, in the matter of making masterpieces like he did back in the 80's.

Another thing: i really think that bridge across forever is better (please read here more balanced and "complete") than stmpe. All of the above is a masterpiece for itself, but the rest of the album just ruined it from being a masterpiece Cry. Bridge across forever album is not as mindblowing as stmpe's all of the above, but the balance to me puts bridge across forever above all of the above.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2008 at 17:56
Originally posted by sean sean wrote:

I do agree that a lot of the time Transatlantic sounds a bit too similar to their 70's idols,

it seems they are trying too hard to copy their idols.

well see the members of DT have always liked having throwbacks to their influences. and they've kept from sounding too much like them until lately, i think. as for transatlantic, its pretty much a throwback project, and even though the musicianship is top notch, the songs sound way too forced (SMTPe is okay, but Bridge Across Forever sounds way too manufactured.)
Originally posted by Soul Dreamer Soul Dreamer wrote:

Marillion - Marbles without any (new) ideas? Have you ever listened to Ocean Cloud or The Invisible Man?? Are those pop songs??? Marillion is still going strong, live I cannot think of a better band (I saw them twice the last year)  allthough their album Somewhere Else was not nearly as good as Marbles. But I bet they'll be back this year with a killer (double) album....(and yes, I'm a fanboy of that band...)...So...I think that virus has not hit them as hard as you say here...(I also think Transatlantic has some great tracks, and isn't nearly as dull as you make it seem here...)
I'm not saying that its all pop songs, but its become very easy listening ambient sort of music...prove me wrong please, but I can't find Marbles having that much substance. I have relistened to the Invisible Man and Ocean Cloud, and those songs too sounded somewhat formulaic.
Originally posted by debrewguy debrewguy wrote:

Listen to enough music, and you'll find similarities (conscious or not) abound.
Of course of course, and no that doesn't change whether Iike them or not, I actually like Transatlantic, Spock's Beard, Dream Theater, and Marillion (haven't heard enough of TFK so I can't comment fully). But with the other four bands, I'm running out of patience because they all without fail (yes, even marillion) are running out of ideas, which is natural given that most of these bands have around 8 or more albums.

is this a barb or do you have an actual point to make with this?
Originally posted by Moatilliatta Moatilliatta wrote:

What I think is that too many prog fans try to find fault in modern prog bands. Why, I am still not sure. It has gotten quite ridiculous though.
Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to find fault in new bands, its just that occasionally, a band regardless of year, will be open to criticism. If you look into some of my previous posts you'll see that I find fault in Rush (an 80s band) and Genesis (70s band). So its pretty much everyone! Wink

why is it that The Flower Kings and Spock's Beard have managed to get popular and not those other bands? I'm sure that at least for a large amount of those bands the problem is that they haven't been able to innovate.
The simple answer is that TFK and SB have talented instrumentalists, which is always a fast track to fame. The complicated answer (and by complex i mean debatable) is that yes, they have been able to innovate, you're right. And like I said, they have their own edge, but really, there's a difference between having an edge and having your own ideas. An example of the former: a cover song. You take someone else's idea and make it yours, but its not an original idea and if your entire repatoir consists of songs without ideas...then less power to you.

The Flower Kings are still doing their thing and trying to find new ways to do it.

There is nothing wrong with trying something out. And even if it's not the most original, it can still be a great song.
Point taken, and admittedly most of my judgment regarding the kings is taken from Stolt's Transatlantic work and Stardust We Are.

Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

All the bands you have mentioned have all been influenced by 70's bands to an extent but it's a bit unfair to say they don't have any ideas of their own....but then you say they have a unique edge to their sound which sounds kind of contradictory. In the case of Spock's Beard in particular I would agree they have written many commercial tunes, even more so since Morse left but they still retain enough a Prog edge to keep them interesting.
its not contradictory, see above. also, the point is that by writing commericalized music, they aren't being true to themselves and they're making fake, forced, and just plain manufactured music.

Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

Speaking personally, I find the original premise of this thread over simplistic and the thread title unfortunate. It would be helpful if the specific tracks and albums being referred to by TFK and SB could be mentioned.
Unfortunate? Please elaborate. Also, refering to specific songs is just nitpicking and granted, every band can make songs which are exceptions to their rule, but these bands are now consistantly doing this.
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

About DT: Yes, I think that they appear to be stuck in a rut ... but I would never call Octavarium and Systematic Chaos bad albums, rather the reverse.
No, not bad albums at all....but not as good by far!
Originally posted by CCVP CCVP wrote:

I think that you got it by the wrong approach. Instead of saying that this is the "Transatlantic Syndrome", you should call it "damn, we are too tired and way too old to write something interesting, so lets destroy everything we already did and make some horrible music".

In the Flower Kings case, i disagree. Stolt keep making his music as he always did but with more freedom to write whatever he wants to
Dude you are like the first to agree.

Important point with the kings. I don't know about them so I'll take your word for it and made power to them if that's what's up.

Originally posted by chessman chessman wrote:

I firmly believe a lot of today's bands are producing better music than ever. Of course, the argument will always be 'without those seventies bands a lot of today's bands wouldn't exist'.
I don't necessarily believe that's true. I think some of today's bands would have invented the genre themselves if it wasn't already around.
Anyway, as a fan of seventies music, I still like to hear that type of thing now, whether it's from old bands or new bands.
I agree, people are making better music and reaching for higher peaks. The thing is, if I want to listen to 70s sounding music, I'll listen to 70s music. New music should sounds different (progress if you will) otherwise...what's the point?

The alternative is bands like Sigur Ros and Radiohead, both of which I find vastly overrated and under talented.
Actually, Sigur Ros' Takk... is an amazing album. () is a little too empty...but fans adore them. sometimes, less is more. WHile I don't like Radiohead, they do have some good compositions, but I agree that they are very overrated. But these bands focus on texture and layered music rather than virtuousic instrumentals, which is what 70s music like Yes was all about....so obviously it wouldn't be your thing!

Edited by DJPuffyLemon - April 01 2008 at 18:10
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2008 at 17:11

I appreciate others like them, but they are not for me. Give me something that sounds old anyday! Wink

Try talking to my grand grandmother. She is almost 100 and sound as old as hell. LOL
chessman View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2008 at 17:00

If it's a virus they've got,  I wish I'd got it too! Transatlantic have recorded two top notch albums, especially the debut. And yes, they do show their influences on them, influences that for me are a good thing.

As regards the 'parent' bands, well, I love The Flower Kings; they are my second favourite band of all time, just, and only just, behind Genesis. Top class musicianship and songwriting is their forte. And yes they do sound like Yes especially at times; for me, that's a bonus!
Spock's Beard, though I haven't heard as much by them, have also produced some great music, especially on their earlier albums, when Neal Morse was with them. Again, great influences from the seventies.
Marillion have produced some superb music, and the odd album that has been less than impressive. Somewhere Else is in fact quite woeful in places. But Marbles is maybe my favourite album by them, with some great atmospheric, melodic music on it.
Only Dream  Theater leave me cold. Not my type of music, though I can appreciate their musicianship.
I was a big prog fan in the seventies, but I firmly believe a lot of today's bands are producing better music than ever. Of course, the argument will always be 'without those seventies bands a lot of today's bands wouldn't exist'.
I don't necessarily believe that's true. I think some of today's bands would have invented the genre themselves if it wasn't already around.
Anyway, as a fan of seventies music, I still like to hear that type of thing now, whether it's from old bands or new bands.
The alternative is bands like Sigur Ros and Radiohead, both of which I find vastly overrated and under talented.
I appreciate others like them, but they are not for me. Give me something that sounds old anyday! Wink
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2008 at 15:14

There's a few bands these days that have what I call the Transatlantic Virus so-called because Transatlantic is a compilation of members of Spock's Beard, The Flower Kings, and Marillion, all of whom have this problem (Dream Theater occasionally does this too but in a different way, I'll get to that later.)

Spock's Beard and The Flower Kings have many influences with 70s classic era prog rock. Unfortunately, it really sounds like they have no ideas of their own. Don't get me wrong, the bands have a unique edge on their sound but they have too many pop songs (which sounds like an attempt to commercialize) and many prog songs don't have unique arrangements, at least, SB doesn't I haven't heard as much Flower Kings as I'd like.

Marillion, which started out as a very innovative neo-prog band, has started to sound like they have this problem too. Especially with Marbles, which has many pop songs and really doesn't have any new ideas. Dream Theater is a bit different because they are metal, but lately (with Systematic Chaos) it sounds like they have started to immitate the bands that immitate the sound they've themselves created. Again, it doesn't appy as much to DT but they're also running out of ideas and trying to become more commercialized.

So...what you guys think?

this virus is wildly spread in musical business. Look at Metallica, Iron Maiden, SB (after Morse's departure), Marillion (after Fish's departure), DT (after they wanted to make a lot money and have poser fans instead of not so much money and some few tr00 hardcore fans). In the Flower Kings case, i disagree. Stolt keep making his music as he always did but with more freedom to write whatever he wants to (since he rules over the FK like God itself over the universe), so if there are more pop rock, its because he is writing more about what he also likes and not what the audience likes. I feel that Stolt is right now doing this: "i am going to record this album. if it sells ok and if it don't ok also, cuz i am doing what i want"

Edited by CCVP - April 01 2008 at 17:00
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2008 at 10:41

All the bands you have mentioned have all been influenced by 70's bands to an extent but it's a bit unfair to say they don't have any ideas of their own....but then you say they have a unique edge to their sound which sounds kind of contradictory. In the case of Spock's Beard in particular I would agree they have written many commercial tunes, even more so since Morse left but they still retain enough a Prog edge to keep them interesting.

I don't think the same can be said of The Flower Kings though, although recently Parradox Hotel comprised of shorter songs they aren't exactly Pop songs and they have recently returned with their most Symphonic album in years with 4 of the 6 tracks over 13 minutes long, one is actually 26 minutes.

Dream Theater have treading water a bit lately but still managed to produce consistantly enjoyable albums, if not classics lately. They're certainly not going down a more commercial road though; the nearest they got to that was when they bowed to record company pressure for their Falling Into Infinity album 10 years back.

Can't really speak for Marillion though as I've not bought too much by them sice the Fish years.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>