Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPolifemo (Argentina)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Polifemo (Argentina)
    Posted: April 05 2008 at 09:55
Hi,

This band was like a who's who of Argentinian rock/prog.Basically they were an off shoot of the great Sui Generis.Legendary guitarist David Lebon(Color Humano,Pescado Rabioso,guest with Sui Generis),bassist Rinaldo Rafanelli(Sui Generis,Color Humano) and drummer Juan Rodrigez(Los Mentales,Sui Generis) came toghether in 1975 and recorded a couple of basic hard/blues rock singles that got them instant recognition.The following year they enlisted yet another important figure of the fertile Argentinian scene, keyboardist Ciro Fogliatta(Los Gatos,Sacramento,Espiritu) and started working on their first eponymus album.
The result was quite a departure from those two early singles,beign a blend of hard rock with the bombast and symphonism of prog.Most of the tracks are heavy and song based,yet the elaborated arrangements,instrumental sections and lush keyboards makes them more than your average run- of- the- mill hard rock band,although there are a few dud tracks(similar to their early singles) that seemed out of place on the album.Side two of the original vinyl was spectacular to say the least,with all three mid-lenght tracks spliced together in suite-like fashion.
The second album,released in 1977, was more of the same,yet this time the instrumental sections were longer,more elaborate and Fogliatta seemed to have more freedom and was let loose, along with Lebon,to produce some mind bogling solos of pyrotechnical proportions.There seemed to be more of a latin flair than on the first release too.
Unfortunately,before the album came out,the band broke out and Fogliatta was left ''holding the baby''.He apperantly finished producing the album by himself.
Both albums are recommended to those into the heavier side of 70's elaborated/prog rock such as Queen,Uriah Heep,Argent,mid-period Styx and maybe Santana.Both albums have been re-released on CD with the singles as bonus.
I suppose the heavy prog category would be apropriate,if not, at least crossover or at the very least prog-related.

Unfortunately there isn't much about them out there,except maybe this link;(It is obvious that the one who wrote the band's bio isn't a fan of prog as he critisize them for turning their back on their simple rock origins to the detriment of symphonic rock!)

Alain

Edited by The Rock - April 05 2008 at 12:13
What's gonna come out of my mouth is gonna come out of my soul."Skip Prokop"
Cesar Inca View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2008 at 18:48
I know their two albums and definitely they should be listed here in the Prog Related genre.

Kind regards.
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2008 at 19:01
I have their first album (nothing spectacular, an ok album) and I agree with Cesar. At most, I'd say Cross-over.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2008 at 17:22
since no tracks are offered by that link, I'll trust Cesar and Assaf's take on the music
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2008 at 04:36
Eventually if Alain wants to write up the group's bio, we'll be able to open up the artiste entry page.
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
The Rock View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2008 at 07:45
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Eventually if Alain wants to write up the group's bio, we'll be able to open up the artiste entry page.
I don't mind writing a bio,of coures,but I think that my initial post in this thread,sums it up pretty accurately.Maybe I'd have to add a few details.

Alain
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2008 at 13:34
Originally posted by avestin avestin wrote:

I have their first album (nothing spectacular, an ok album) and I agree with Cesar. At most, I'd say Cross-over.

They started as a blues-rock band with moderate artsy pretensions. When they recorded their second album, Lebon-penned ballads became longer, more eerie and more melodically elaborated, while Rinaldo-penned tracks (espacially the two instrumentals) tended to be more complex. Rinaldo had become momentarily obsessed with Mahavishnu and Crimson, but it only lasted one year, and anyway, he and the rest of the band became a bit scared of their own acquired complexity, so the band was finally terminated due to musical differences, as usual. Despite themselves, Polifemo seems in tune with the Crossover label, only for their second album.

This case is a bit similar to Ave Rock although it's nos the same, really. Ave Rock started as a hard rock band wwith obvious artsy pretensions and they really wanted to become progressive, and so they did for their second album.

Kind regards.
The Rock View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2008 at 15:18
Originally posted by Cesar Inca Cesar Inca wrote:

Originally posted by avestin avestin wrote:

They started as a blues-rock band with moderate artsy pretensions. When they recorded their second album, Lebon-penned ballads became longer, more eerie and more melodically elaborated, while Rinaldo-penned tracks (espacially the two instrumentals) tended to be more complex. Rinaldo had become momentarily obsessed with Mahavishnu and Crimson, but it only lasted one year, and anyway, he and the rest of the band became a bit scared of their own acquired complexity, so the band was finally terminated due to musical differences, as usual. Despite themselves, Polifemo seems in tune with the Crossover label, only for their second album.

This case is a bit similar to Ave Rock although it's nos the same, really. Ave Rock started as a hard rock band wwith obvious artsy pretensions and they really wanted to become progressive, and so they did for their second album.

Kind regards.

I agree,this band always seems to be unsure of what kind of music they wanted to play or what kind of band they wanted to be.They had many personalities;pop,blues,heavy,proggy,pomp,ect...

The first is regarded as a natural evolution over their first singles,wheras the second seems like some sort of coming of age.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2008 at 15:26
Cesar >>> Crossover or Eclectic prog would you say??? Smile

Alain and Assaf also have an opnion....Wink

Edited by Sean Trane - April 12 2008 at 15:27
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2008 at 19:11
I strongly believe Crossover would be the thing. I feel that the Eclectic prog thing can be labelled to those bands that (willingly or not) really want to be very artsy, very heavily prog-related, if not genuinely progressive even if they dislike the label itself.

POLIFEMO is not the kind of band that especially wanted to be involved with the prog ideology, yet they ended up writing and recording material in their second album that mixed their rock'n'roll and blues-rock habitual tendencies with instrumental jams very much inpired by prog rock and jazz-rock. While this is of interest for the prog melomaniac, it proved to be a cause for crisis in the band. 

I think Crossover would be fine. Now that I have seen USA's Leviathan labelled as Crossover, maybe POLIFEMO should be there too.

Kind regards.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2008 at 19:35
did someone say Xover? ... taking a listen Cesar..Clap
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2008 at 19:36
wait.. nothing to listen to hahahha

dumbsh*t. Micky...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2008 at 19:40
Originally posted by Cesar Inca Cesar Inca wrote:

I strongly believe Crossover would be the thing. I feel that the Eclectic prog thing can be labelled to those bands that (willingly or not) really want to be very artsy, very heavily prog-related, if not genuinely progressive even if they dislike the label itself.

POLIFEMO is not the kind of band that especially wanted to be involved with the prog ideology, yet they ended up writing and recording material in their second album that mixed their rock'n'roll and blues-rock habitual tendencies with instrumental jams very much inpired by prog rock and jazz-rock. While this is of interest for the prog melomaniac, it proved to be a cause for crisis in the band. 

I think Crossover would be fine. Now that I have seen USA's Leviathan labelled as Crossover, maybe POLIFEMO should be there too.

Kind regards.

well... your word is good as gold.. if you feel comfortable with Xover..  I guess we can go ahead and add. . as I like to say.. you've forgotten more about prog than I know of it hahahha. 

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2008 at 08:19
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2008 at 18:42
Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply