Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Internal news
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - BT admits tracking 18,000 users with Phorm systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBT admits tracking 18,000 users with Phorm systems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Co-founder, Admin & Webmaster

Direct Link To This Post Topic: BT admits tracking 18,000 users with Phorm systems
    Posted: April 05 2008 at 13:29
with Progarchives.com Forum Members ...

BT Broadband has admitted that it carried out secret trials on 18,000 user accounts in autumn 2006 with technology from 121Media, which became the targeted advertising company Phorm. Though BT has not yet said where the trials were done, the systems were used to analyse web traffic and then serve selected adverts on a number of selected websites.

The revelation, first detailed on The Register website, might lead to legal action by any of the users who can show their data was used. That is because it appears to breach the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act (RIPA) 2000, which makes it an offence to intercept internet traffic without consent or a warrant.

Phorm is negotiating a deal with BT, Virgin Media and Talk Talk, the UK's three largest ISPs with about 10m users. It would analyse web browsing and offer targeted adverts, as well as warning about phishing sites. Talk Talk has said it will make the service opt-in; BT has implied it will be opt-out. Virgin Media had no comment.

BT's 2006 trials certainly involved some sort of interception, because the data streams had extra Javascript inserted into them - which puzzled a number of people at the time. Two examples can be seen at the forums of raisingkids.co.uk and progarchives.com. In both, the Javascript and other tags inserted by the 121Media system are clearly visible, with one showing the referring page and possibly "interests" of the member. Both contain links to sysip.net - the 121Media-owned site through which BT sent browser requests during the 2006 trials and later ones in summer 2007.

BT declined to comment beyond a prepared statement, saying: "The purpose of the test was to evaluate the functional and technical performance of the platform. It is important for BT to ensure that before any new technologies are deployed, they are robust and fit for purpose. No personally identifiable information was processed, stored or disclosed during this test."

But serious questions remain. BT said that the test was only carried out for two weeks - yet the second forum posting above was made in December 2006.

Last week Guardian News and Media, which publishes the Guardian, announced that it would not pursue any advertising tie-up with Phorm, after having initially expressed an interest. "We have concluded at this time that we do not want to be part of the network," said Simon Kilby, GNM's advertising manager. "Our decision was in no small part down to the conversations we had internally about how this product sits with the values of our company."

Phorm says its technology means adverts can be better targeted to individuals, by creating "profiles" of their browsing behaviour while not retaining any personally identifiable information; users are identified by randomly-numbered browser cookies, whose number matches to a profile on the Phorm system. Adverts could be better targeted, and because it monitors the sites people visit, could also warn users about known phishing sites.

Edited by M@X - April 05 2008 at 13:30
Prog On !
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2008 at 17:09
Can you confirm this bit M@x?

"BT's 2006 trials certainly involved some sort of interception, because the data streams had extra Javascript inserted into them - which puzzled a number of people at the time. Two examples can be seen at the forums of raisingkids.co.uk and progarchives.com. In both, the Javascript and other tags inserted by the 121Media system are clearly visible, with one showing the referring page and possibly "interests" of the member."
tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2008 at 18:15
BT wants to be Big Brother I guess, shamefull compagny etics.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2008 at 05:11
I editted out a huge piece of html from this post last weeK: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=47565&PID=2806511#2806511 - I cannot say whether it was the same kind of insert, but it was random addition that I don't think bluesynight added himself because he immediately posted again without the html (he's a newbie and didn't know how to edit his posts).
What?
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2008 at 11:49
I wondered perhaps if this was where the active links for phrases like "lead guitar" and so on came from.
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2008 at 02:59
The thread in the ProgArchives link is related to Micky - just scroll down to see it after clicking the link. Looks like it's the one that indicates 'member's interests'  Angry
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2008 at 07:18
What mystifies me about this, and the forum hack-attack we had last year, is the code doesn't actually work. Why go to all the effort of hacking a site to embed chunks of HTML and Javascript into a post that only interprets BBCode?

What?
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2008 at 19:08
^ no clue....  this sh*t happened to me...  as I told the guy who informed M@X of this...  was at a hotel (here in the US) using their ISP when I made that post that set off red flags.  

Edited by micky - April 15 2008 at 19:09
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2008 at 00:20
Are these the same people that send me transmissions through the fillings in my teeth?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2008 at 03:38
No, that's the BBC World Service.
What?
Frippertron View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2008 at 09:51
Ahh.. BT eh.. Next time I make a phone call I will no doubt be listening out for the bugging devices.

Bloody Typical
The Cheerful Insanity of Prog Rock
Mutley View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2008 at 13:05
Please sign the 10 Downing St. Petition against Phorm and similar invasive snooping:

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/ispphorm/

If you want to join the campaign to stop Phorm Webwise being deployed in the UK, please
visit the following campaign sites:

http://www.nodpi.org

http://www.badphorm.co.uk

Ian Livingston Phorm collaborator
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2008 at 23:30
Don't know what all this means but as far as I can see anything anyone posts on the bloody internet is fair game. I mean you're taking your chances. I never take anything seriously on the web. Intrernet law ???? It's like giving out speeding tickets at the F1.
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2008 at 03:49
I knew they were after me!
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2008 at 03:15
We best get used to it too. Telescopes in cities, satellites viewing our back yards and bedrooms, google world view, WAP, virtual microchipping, the list is endless. So if you crave privacy, I repeat get used to it-----modern day exposure.
Or live a reclusive lifestyle with zero technology...............back on the farmErmm
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
 Post Reply Post Reply