Topic ClosedNew Keith Emerson solo album news

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Keith Emerson solo album news
    Posted: April 08 2008 at 11:17

Here's a tidbit:

Forming the core of Emerson’s current recording and live setup is his beloved Hammond B3 (modified by Al Goff); a large Moog Modular system and an acoustic piano. In addition to these three staple components, Korg’s flagship workstation, the OASYS, has been drafted in to provide all the orchestral textures and Keith’s favorite pipe organ sounds. As Keith sees it, the Moog, Hammond and piano collectively represent the past, whereas the OASYS (and some of the other Korg keyboards he also regularly uses), introduce more contemporary elements into the music. “My new album takes in a lot of my past while making a huge departure into the future – hence the OASYS,“ he explains. “Bob Moog’s creation was, for me, the mother of all inventions which allowed great companies, such as Korg, to take it further. The material covers pretty much the history of prog rock and beyond; it is very organic.”
JBiegel View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2008 at 10:05
I have developed a warm friendship with Keith Emerson, whose Piano Concerto I will perform this weekend in a revival performance in IL. Just three hours south of Chicago, it is a national event for fans of Keith Emerson, who may indeed have worn-out LPs of Emerson, Lake and Palmer. 

As the repertoire in classical and crossover expands, I am bringing Keith Emerson's Concerto no. 1 out of hibernation. Keith phoned, as he will definitely be present at the revival performance of his Piano Concerto in the US on April 13th. Apparently, after he completed composing the second movement in the 1970s, a fire brought down his cottage and took the music to both the first and second movements with it. He had to re-write the entire score, and, in his fury, composed the dynamic and tempestuous third movement, a la Ginastera.

My very best wishes,

Jeffrey Biegel

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE!!

By Naturally Sharp, Inc.

April 3, 2008

ROCK LEGEND KEITH EMERSON'S RARELY PLAYED CLASSICAL COMPOSITION
"PIANO CONCERTO NO. 1" GETS NEXT COMMAND PERFORMANCE

Rock-and-Roll's legendary keyboard artist, Keith Emerson, from the iconic group, Emerson,

Lake and Palmer, composed his own classical 'Piano Concerto no. 1' in 1977, which will

be performed on April 13th by the internationally renowned pianist, Jeffrey Biegel.

Historically, Mr. Emerson recorded his piano concerto with the London Philharmonic for the

1977 ELP release titled, 'Works'  featuring Emerson, Lake and Palmer. Mr. Emerson has

performed the concerto worldwide, including Madison Square Garden in New York, and in

Montreal. The final movement of the piano concerto is featured in a classic YouTube video

with Mr. Emerson performing it in Montreal in 1977:

Fast forward 31 years later: the internationally renowned pianist, Jeffrey Biegel, has

performed all of the standard piano concerti with orchestras worldwide, and has premiered

several new concerti composed for him by today's most important composers, including

Ellen Taaffe Zwilich, Charles Strouse, Lowell Liebermann, and for 2009 and 2010,  works

by Richard Danielpour and William Bolcom respectively. Thanks to the inspiration from his

friend, the brilliant producer, composer, and arranger, David Foster, Mr. Biegel ventures

into the pop world with fire and excitement. His publisher at Theodore Presser ignited his

interest in Keith Emerson's 'Piano Concerto no. 1' . As a result, the two have become close

friends and esteemed colleagues.

On April 13th, Keith Emerson's 'Piano Concerto no. 1'  makes a bold re-appearance with

Mr. Biegel as soloist at the Krannert Center at the University of Champaign-Urbana, with

the Champaign-Urbana Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Steven Larsen. Mr. Emerson

plans to attend this performance. Mr. Biegel also performs Leroy Anderson's 'Concerto in

C', composed in 1953. Mr. Biegel has been the leading exponent of this work, having

recorded it with Leonard Slatkin conducting the BBC Concert Orchestra for the Naxos

label. This cd celebrates the 2008 centennial of the birth of Leroy Anderson, released to

critical acclaim in January, 2008.

For more information, please contact the Champaign-Urbana Symphony:

701 Devonshire Drive C-24
Champaign, IL 61820
Phone: 217-351-9139

and you may also visit Mr. Biegel's web site www.jeffreybiegel.com and Mr. Emerson's web site www.keithemerson.com

www.jeffreybiegel.com
 Post Reply Post Reply