Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Bedlam in Goliath

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Bedlam in Goliath
    Posted: April 11 2008 at 13:57
First, I am sure there has been discussion on this, but the search option never works for me.

I am just wondering what Volta fans think of think of this album. I think it is thier best since De-Loused (De-Loused still being my fave.) I like FtM, and could never get into Amputechture. What I really love about this album i the lack of filler, something FtM has an over-abundance of in my humble opinoin. Also, the new drummer is just a joy to listen to. Man, he rocks. I love the fast and heavy tracks, and this is pretty much the album I have been waiting for since De-Loused.

I think there are a lot of fans out there not happy with this album, and I am just trying to understand why. What're your thoughts?
I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress . . .
laplace View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2008 at 14:06
Originally posted by ~Rael~ ~Rael~ wrote:

First, I am sure there has been discussion on this, but the search option never works for me.

I am just wondering what Volta fans think of think of this album. I think it is thier best since De-Loused (De-Loused still being my fave.) I like FtM, and could never get into Amputechture. What I really love about this album i the lack of filler, something FtM has an over-abundance of in my humble opinoin. Also, the new drummer is just a joy to listen to. Man, he rocks. I love the fast and heavy tracks, and this is pretty much the album I have been waiting for since De-Loused.

I think there are a lot of fans out there not happy with this album, and I am just trying to understand why. What're your thoughts?

given that I two-starred the thing I'd better respond.

Mostly I think that the music is now too overtly muso-ish and that I miss their soundscapy tendencies. There's nothing wrong with making good rock songs, especially when they're a little experimental, but I just didn't want to hear an album like this from TMV. =(
~Rael~ View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2008 at 15:38

I can understand that, though I am not sure what you mean by "muso-ish" (I haven't visited here in a while). If your personal tastes tend to go towards the soundscape sounds of FtM and Amp, then I guess this wouldn't be your album. I have a feeling there next one will go in that direction after such a fast paced album.

I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress . . .
BroSpence View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2008 at 23:28
I feel like they went a little over-indulgent on this one actually.  I like it quite a bit, but I feel like they were strongest on FtM and Amputechre. 

Bedlam seems to focus more on just pounding out whatever can be pounded with no real dynamic contrast or cooling off parts (the spacey bits).  The new drummer is great, and like I said I do enjoy the album, but I feel like they've taken a step back rather than forward.  Cedric especially as he no longer has any real vocal melodies just constant stream of conscience rambles.  On De-Loused he had loads of great vocal parts, and a pretty good amount of Ftm, but there's almost none in Bedlam save for the "single".
~Rael~ View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2008 at 23:32
I kind of agree they took a step back. That is kind of why I lime it, lol. Amputecture is just to flipped out for me, and FtM is right on the edge, though I haven't given up on Amp. I'm determined to get into it, at some point. My resolve just hasn't been strong enough.
Lynx View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2008 at 05:05
I like TMV and I do like their last effort. I consider TMV a very creative band and it might be the reason why I consider every single album of this band without thinking of their previous efforts.

I do the same with Rush, I love all their albums but sometimes is difficult to link them together and see if there is any continuation in their works. "A Step forward or back" never applies to Rush. Same thoughts for TMV  Thumbs%20Up

Just my 2 cents...

sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2008 at 07:05
Personnally, I consider The Bedlam in Goliath to be their best album. As I said in my review, its their most focused album musically  and all the songs flow into each other brilliantly.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2008 at 07:52
I'm just listening to The Bedlam in Goliath right now for the first time,  and already I love itBig%20smile
the main appreciation thread.
Philéas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2008 at 09:35
Originally posted by laplace laplace wrote:

Mostly I think that the music is now too overtly muso-ish and that I miss their soundscapy tendencies. There's nothing wrong with making good rock songs, especially when they're a little experimental, but I just didn't want to hear an album like this from TMV. =(

Seconded.
mrcozdude View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2008 at 09:42
I was like most volta fans stuck on de-loused as my fav but now bedlam is fast becoming my favorite goliath is a monster of a track.It took me about 30 listens to get to this stage though,my first few listens i wasn't impressed.
 Post Reply Post Reply