Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2008 at 12:09
R.I.P. Blinky
febus View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2008 at 12:19
I guess now looking at EMERSON website DAVISON really passed away.

I have to admit even if i knew THE NICE for more than 30 years, i never really gave a special attention to the drummer. I do own the ARS NOVA album and a compilation ''KEITH EMERSON WITH THE NICE'' but DAVISON was not the star.

What affects me is the actual fast pace of those musicians we grew up with in the 60's and 70s leaving us now one after each other (BOZ, Ian Wallace, and more )or being seriously ill (Latimer).
The passing of time doesn't forgive or forget no one!

Fighting presently a big battle against a bad disease on my own, this kind of news really make you deal with your own mortality and sometimes i wish i can go back when i was 16 buying a THE NICE album and this time give more attention to the playing of mr DAVISON.
Cesar Inca View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2008 at 09:08
I prefer his work on Refugee - the material was more demanding than The Nice's, yet we found a very matured and more powerful drummer dealing proficiently with the elaboration of the rhythm foundations.

Kind regards.
Cesar Inca View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2008 at 09:34
Originally posted by elpprogster elpprogster wrote:

He was more than a competent drummer and made an even greater work on Refugee than he managed to do on  The Nice (according to the liner notes on the Refugee Live Newcastle 1974 CD, one person that was at the time overwhelmed about the band and Davison´s perfomance, was Keith Emerson: he could´t believe that Brian  could play so fast.

I also believe that his Refugee days signalled the apex of his drumming style. Powerful, dynamic and complex a he had never played in previous albums in other bands.
BOBXHEWIE View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2008 at 21:51
Look...can someone get this straight ..is blinky alive or  dead and  Lee for that matter...it doesnt make sense after all they got back together in 2002 for vivacitas -live at glasgow..when i heard that it amazed me..i thought apart from the usual suspects like 'she belongs to me' and the great 'hang onto a dream' i was looking forward to some new material...ok so Lee's voice had gone...but still..to these these old mates together i wish i couldve been there..odd since the other day i bought ELP  live from the front row on DVD Audio in 5.1 how apt since that was me--years ago in the front row...I saw Blinky's band EveryWhichway (is that on CD?) at marquee  years ago...flippin good they were...better then Lee's Jackson Heights (sorry Lee)..odder still .call me psychic go I dare you..but I was on gracenote site the other day..criticising them for not being as comprehensive as they claimed .in the example I used I mentioned blinky's everywhichway as they had no mention of them ..worse still after entering 'the nice' it described 'the nice' as being some prat singer who does c(rap) music...so i had to put that straight!..but..sod it..blinky..is Lee Ok...? you think of all the t**sers in todays music scene (scissor sisters) who committed sacrilege by destroying floyds 'comfortably numb' i wouldnt shed one tear for any of them had a 6000 ton weight fell on all of them..but....this really is a shame...I used to pass Lee in the street when I worked in London..and I went into moogs repair shop in oxford street only to bump into 'emo' himself.....emo and the lads inspired me to get into classical music..so im very grateful for that...ok guys let us know the score ok? asap...
robert..........
Karyobin View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2008 at 06:51
This is realy sad news, I knew Brian in the 80's when he was teaching drums at Clapham College in London and was fortunate enough to get to jam with him on several occasions. He was a lovely bloke very down to earth, always ready with an amusing anecdote (Syd Barratt having a hissy fit for being left off of a tour bus was my favorite) and an inspiration to play with, my condolences to his family and friends he will be greatly missed.

Also if you can find it search out his solo record Brian Davidson's Every Which Way.

K

Edited by Karyobin - May 27 2008 at 06:52
Every musical movement that is big enough has to produce some good musicians who wouldn't have had the incentive to start playing without it.

Alexis Korner
BOBXHEWIE View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2008 at 08:40
i saw every which way at the marquee not long after the nice broke up..i also saw lee jacksons jackson heights and unfortunatley the david o list band also at the marquee..(i think his mum turned up)..of all the ex nice bands i think brian's was the most interesting.....i did buy the album not long after..like all things in the midst of moving house several times it got lost...i think keith emerson formed a band after the nice ..but they  couldnt have been up to much as no one ever heard of them again..:) yeah 'blinky' eh?  sad sad  sad...i hope that theres  his stuf will get a second look now..btw theres a post on pat arnolds site as keith,lee and brian were her backing band originally..is there any of that stuff still about?....sad to see ya go bri.. ps did every which way get released as cd?
robert..........
Karyobin View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2008 at 09:14
It's showing on Amazon @ £11.99 much cheaper than an original copy of the LP

K
Every musical movement that is big enough has to produce some good musicians who wouldn't have had the incentive to start playing without it.

Alexis Korner
Karyobin View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2008 at 09:18
Another thought on Brian, he told us a story of how his feet were very sensitive and how he could not bare to be tickled so one day when he trod on a drawing pin it took most of his family to hold him down to remove it, he said between the laughing and the pain he ended up breathless!!

K

Alexis Korner
BOBXHEWIE View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2008 at 17:18
ok, thanks..i'll go take a look ..i've got an account with amazon...i also saw 'five bridges' as a cd a few years back..after i did conversion job from my vinyl....isn't there a drum solo on that?.think so...
robert..........
BOBXHEWIE View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2008 at 17:24
ps i dont think the every which way cd is cheaper than the original vinyl...as at £11.99 would have at that time been a large chunk of my weekly wage...when did it come out? 69? 70? somewhere around then...no i think i paid about £3 or so....
robert..........
Karyobin View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2008 at 02:25
lol I suppose you're right I picked mine up at Cheapo Cheapo in the early 80's for £2 but I've seen copies going for £30 in collectors shops

Alexis Korner
Karyobin View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2008 at 02:29
I spoke to a pal of mine who I managed to get Brian to give private drum lessons to and he said that Brian also had a spell with Gong in the mid to late 70's

K

Alexis Korner
BOBXHEWIE View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2008 at 06:26
well i ordered the every which way cd from amazon..they didnt have any in stick..so this one is second hand and at same price..dont know why...they didnt have album cover art on page..i was trying to remember waht it was like..cant even remember tracks...was there only one eww album?  isaw the nice at lyceum london, also fairfield halls croydon...i thik rare bird was support band at lyceum....saw lee jackson's jackson heights at somewhere i think it might be olympia......eww at marquee..and david o list band at marquee..all around same time...did you hear the vivacitas glasgow cd?...still don know what to make of it..lee's voice has gone that much is true...its a sort of elp meets the nice.without the lp...
robert..........
Karyobin View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2008 at 10:34
I was never a big fan of Lee's voice in the first place but it fitted in well with a lot of The Nice's tracks I'd have liked to hear maybe Chris Farlow on some of that material.

K

Alexis Korner
Karyobin View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2008 at 10:47
 Here is the cover art

Alexis Korner
Karyobin View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2008 at 11:00

Brian Davison: Drummer with The Nice

Tuesday, 22 April 2008

A battering fusillade at the climax of "America", the West Side Story song adapted by The Nice, was a hallmark of the drumming style of Brian Davison. A passionate and gifted player, he saw his role in any group as a fellow musician and creative percussionist. He was inspired by the jazz drummers Jack DeJohnette and Art Blakey, and brought a dynamic approach to rock when he joined the keyboard virtuoso Keith Emerson in The Nice in 1967.

Davison was part of the progressive rock movement that boldly blended elements of rock, jazz and the classics. Although he had previously played in pop and soul groups, he was happiest being given free rein for expression and The Nice proved a perfect home for his talents.

His bubbling personality endeared him to his fellow musicians and his quick-witted responses would disarm even those in the firing line for criticism. Eyes twinkling, he'd laugh his way out of most situations, although he would endure some pain and despair as well as joy during a turbulent career.

He was born in 1942, the second child of Bella and Jack Davison, in Leicester, where his mother had been evacuated from London during the Blitz. His interest in drumming was encouraged by his Uncle George, a jazz drummer who gave him his first kit. Brian also received help from his older brother Terry, who played him records by Max Roach. Brian played in a youth club skiffle group before leaving school to work as a delivery-van driver for the London Evening Standard. He carried on drumming in his spare time and joined his friend Terry Goldberg in his group The Rocker Shakes.

In 1962, Davison joined the Mark Leeman Five, managed by David Bowie's mentor Ken Pitt. The band was impressed by Brian's left-hand independence, which led to him being compared to Art Blakey – "on the blink". As a result he earned the nickname "Blinky", which he disliked. The Mark Leeman Five released one single, "Portland Town" produced by Manfred Mann, before Leeman died in a car crash in June 1965. The vocalist Roger Peacock replaced him but the group broke up in July the following year.

Davison joined The Habits and later the Mike Cotton Sound. He also played with The Attack soul group fronted by the singer Richard Shirman with Davy O'List on guitar. Shirman recalled:

I remember we did a gig at the Mojo Club in Sheffield run by Peter Stringfellow. Blinky did a solo and half way through some wag in the audience called out "Ginger Baker the Second – ha, ha!" Blinky stopped playing, stood up and shouted "No – it's Brian Davison the first." He got an enormous round of applause and carried on with a phenomenal solo.

Shortly afterwards Davy O'List left to form The Nice, with Keith Emerson and the bassist/vocalist Lee Jackson in 1967. The group was signed by Andrew Oldham to Immediate Records and was scheduled to support the soul singer P.P. Arnold. However, The Nice soon parted company from Arnold as they began to experiment with extended arrangements. Davison replaced their regular drummer Ian Hague on O'List's recommendation and The Nice began to develop such numbers as "Rondo", "America" and "Hang on to a Dream". Davison played on all the band's albums including The Thoughts of EmerlistDavJack (1967), Ars Longa Vita Brevis (1968), Five Bridge (1970) and Elegy (1971).

The Nice became a trio with the departure of Davy O'List and increasing demands were placed on the drummer. Emerson not only performed rhapsodic solos but had a dangerous stage act. This included stabbing his Hammond organ with a pair of German army daggers, donated by Lemmy Kilminster (of Hawkwind and Motorhead fame). The knife-throwing became a bone of contention. Emerson recalled:

I practised hurling the daggers into a dartboard but had a low hit rate. I threw the knives on stage at the organ anyway and after the show was confronted by a very angry drummer sporting a large cut across his forehead. "Who the hell do you think you are . . . Errol Flynn?" At the next gig Brian surrounded himself with a protective screen of gongs.

Lee Jackson remembers a night in Sheffield when both band and audience became helpless with laughter.

We were playing "Hang on to a Dream". Brian usually added a Doppler effect using a triangle spun above his head on a piece of string. Only the string broke. The triangle flew up in the air and crashed back onto the drum kit. We tried four times to restart the number but "corpsed" and gave up.

Relations later became strained between the band members due to heavy touring. Emerson subsequently split from The Nice and formed Emerson, Lake & Palmer in 1970. This shocked his old colleagues but Jackson formed his own group, Jackson Heights, while Davison set up Every Which Way, fronted by the singer Graham Bell. They recorded one eponymously titled album, in 1970.

In 1973 Jackson and Davison were reunited as Refugee with the Swiss keyboard virtuoso Patrick Moraz. They released one well-received album but Moraz left shortly after to join Yes. Davison began to drink, resulting in the breakdown of his marriage. For some time he was out of the music scene but received counselling and recovered from a period of alcoholism, vowing never to drink again. Life improved greatly when he moved from London to north Devon with his partner Teri West. He began teaching percussion at Bideford College and also played regularly in a local blues band.

On 9 April 2002 the three members of The Nice, Emerson, Davison and Jackson, performed at a reception at the 100 Club in London, the first time they'd played together in 32 years. It was the precursor to a full UK tour by the band which included a concert recorded for a CD, Vivacitas: live at Glasgow 2002. Although Davison suffered ill health in recent years he and Teri celebrated his 60th birthday at his cottage by the sea in 2002 with a party that reunited old friends, including Lee and Keith, when there was more laughter than tears as they remembered the heyday of The Nice.

Chris Welch

Brian Davison, drummer: born Leicester 25 May 1942; married (one daughter); died Horn's Cross, Devon 15 April 2008.

Alexis Korner
BOBXHEWIE View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2008 at 23:07
thanks....yes that cover looks familiar now...can you submit it to amazon...on the every which way sales part..they do say that the public can do that when they dont have it themselves..in this case..they dont...i think it would help and they would be very appreciative...blimey1 you have lot of info about the Nice etc. I had 'ars longa vita brevis'...and the nice album (the one with red photo album look and bw snapshots...also 'five bridges.'..and the one with the sand dunes and red balls (elegy?) its really wierd as the other day i was writing to gracenote the cddb people about their website and the fact that it had great gaps in its database..and was wrong about things .like ' the nice was some rap singer' ???? and that brain davison was some singer..well i write back complaining to them and telling them who the nice were and who brian davison was..and then a few days later the bes about brian...very odd.
these days i collect SACD and DVD Audio in surround...I just added an ELP live album to my DVD Audio surround collection...it sounds great... alive album in surround should give you that sense of occasion....I wish Five Bridges was done like that perhaps it will...Chris Farlowe eh? interesting choice..vocalist once with Steam Packet' along with Rod Stewart , Brian Auger and Julie/Jools (' wheels on fire' lady)...the rock/blues family tree is as interesting as the british comedy one-who worked with who is amazing. one could almost connect anyone to anyone..'steamhammer connects to antonioni' film maker  -how? steamhammer member martin quittenton co wrote 'maggie may' for the faces  starring rod stewart.,.rod stewart was in jeff beck band,..jeff beck was in movie 'blowup' directed by antonioni...see how odd it is..ok so maybe if you put up that cover on amazon that would be good..btw i wrote a piece on amazon about brian -with regard to that album...maybe you could add a piece yourself?..

robert..........
BOBXHEWIE View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2008 at 23:22
btw did you listem to the 3rd cd in the vivacitas glasgow triple box set..its an interview with lle, brian and keith..and stuff about rocking the hammond L102 across the stage till in nearly fell into the orchestra pit.and stuff about the daggers...on the emerson site how keith broke his nose during  a revolving piano routine on an elp gig..it was spinning so fast with firework rockets attached to it..that it stopped suddenly and he bashed his face into the keyboard...he really is quite mad our 'emo' eh? but talent? can that man play fast or what? on a dvd called inside ELP a musician is decribing and elp track and he says that theres one chord that takes two hands to play.but keith is playing this chord with one hand and doing something else with the other (maybe the moog) the guy says its impossible..but keith is doing it...
robert..........
Karyobin View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2008 at 02:30

Some good interviews on that disc. Brian told us that it was Warren Mitchell (the actor who played Alf Garnett) who gave keith the lighter that he burned the American flag with at the Albert Hall after he couldn't get some matches to strike. That stunt earned them all a ban from the RAH.

In the early 80's I had a band little blues/jam band that practiced after school and as our drummer at the time was in lower school and the rest of us in the sixth Brian used to sit in with us for the hour before Des turned up.

K

Alexis Korner
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>