Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: In Vain
    Posted: April 18 2008 at 17:31

In Vain -- The Latter Rain
http://www.myspace.com/invainno

In Vain is a seemingly little known, but very progressive black/death metal band from Kristiansand, Norway. I recently purchased their only album, The Latter Rain, and was absolutely blown away by it.

"The Latter Rain was recorded in DUB Studio (Green Carnation, Blood Red Throne & Chain Collector) in the summer/fall of 2006. The recording was a huge project involving close to 20 guest musicians and several guest vocalists such as legendary Jan K. Transeth (In the Woods...) and Kjetil Nordhus (Green Carnation, Trail of Tears). Although the band kept the same vibe as on the two previous recordings the music was taken a step further, in every direction.

The highly anticipated full length debut from Norwegian newcomers In Vain, offers a vastly creative addition to the extreme metal canon which will erase their unknown status for good. Imagine a complex extreme metal giant with imposing technical progressive parts. Ravaged by striking black metal passages diving into an ocean of melancholy and loss. Great song writing and enchanting melodies, all spiced up by the bands' Norwegian cultural heritage."

I STRONGLY recommend this band to fans of Emperor, In The Woods, Opeth, Enslaved, or anyone who likes the heavier, and much darker side of prog. Enjoy your new favorite band Wink

Edited by _JC_ - April 18 2008 at 17:33
_JC_ View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2008 at 03:08
No love for extreme/tech prog metal?

EDIT: That's odd. It seems this topic is in two places at once (the recommendation section, and the general music section). Did someone move the topic or something......or did I succumb to a brief stroke of  memory loss when creating this topic?

Edited by _JC_ - April 20 2008 at 03:15
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2008 at 03:27
I'm giving it a listen now.
I'll give some feedback, maybe in 10-15 minutes if you're still around.
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2008 at 20:42
Originally posted by _JC_ _JC_ wrote:

EDIT: That's odd. It seems this topic is in two places at once (the recommendation section, and the general music section). Did someone move the topic or something......or did I succumb to a brief stroke of  memory loss when creating this topic?

I moved it because In Vain aren't in the archives,so they can't be discussed in the Prog Music Lounges.I leave the moved icon up for a bit so you know that the topic has been moved and hwere it has been moved to.

In Vain are on the PMT's voting chart,and have been for awhile.I voted YES for their inclusion.

_JC_ View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2008 at 20:57
Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

Originally posted by _JC_ _JC_ wrote:

I moved it because In Vain aren't in the archives,so they can't be discussed in the Prog Music Lounges.I leave the moved icon up for a bit so you know that the topic has been moved and hwere it has been moved to.

In Vain are on the PMT's voting chart,and have been for awhile.I voted YES for their inclusion.

Ah okay, lol. I was just making sure I didn't put it in two places at once LOL. And I'm glad to hear they're up for vote right now Clap

Edited by _JC_ - April 20 2008 at 20:58
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2008 at 21:48
Actually they are cleared.I will try to add them soon.

_JC_ View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2008 at 00:54
Clap Clap Clap

Good deal!

Edited by _JC_ - April 22 2008 at 00:55
 Post Reply Post Reply