Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Books and Miscellaneous Reviews
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The Strawberry Bricks Guide To Progressive Rock
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Strawberry Bricks Guide To Progressive Rock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2017 at 08:09
The cover photo was taken with a Scanning Electron Microscope, it's the record grooves of Jethro Tull's Minstrel In The Gallery vinyl!
Author, "The Strawberry Bricks Guide to Progressive Rock"

www.progressiverock.com
djfake View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2017 at 18:58
Here's a few encapsulations from very recent reviews of The Strawberry Bricks Guide to Progressive Rock, Revised and Expanded Edition (2017):

“In this updated edition of his 2007 book, an idea of the kind of depth Charles Snider goes into can be gleaned from the revised artwork, an electron-microscope image of the grooves of Minstrel In The Gallery. It’s a heck of a project, and his dedication and breadth of choice is to be applauded. Snider’s summaries are intensely fact-packed but academic – this is still an enthusiast’s mothership.”
--Jo Kendall, Prog Magazine

“[H]is time-centric genre definition cite[s] supportive data from various sources and suggest[s] that progressive rock is/was music created by a generation of men born roughly between 1944 and 1950 (median birth year 1947): Fascinating, and persuasively explained in the context of his premise.
Where “guide” books of this ilk sink or swim lies in how convincingly the author makes his/her case for inherently subjective viewpoints and conclusions. Snider deserves credit for tackling this head-on. The Strawberry Bricks Guide to Progressive Rock is an informative, enlightening read that’ll keep you occupied for hours and certainly get you thinking. Snider supports his [opinions] with considerable research/study. This book offers valuable perspective on where “prog” came from historically, in one handy (hefty) volume.”
--John Collinge, Progression Magazine

“I don't often use the word massive, but this book is, in fact, massive. At over 600 pages, The Strawberry Bricks Guide to Progressive Rock is a sort of bedside reader for prog fans of all stripes. Author Charles Snider taps his deep knowledge of the genre for a fascinating read.
It's a strong piece of work. Snider makes his points well and writes in a smooth conversational style. We don't share the same views on every release, but who does? The Strawberry Bricks Guide to Progressive Rock is very honestly the most enjoyable book on progressive music I've read to date! I must now seek out several albums I never even knew existed before I read this book!”
--John Wilcox, Progsheet

www.progressiverock.com
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2017 at 09:02
I would say that not just men born between 1944 and 1950 created it or listened to it especially not these days. That's pretty absurd if you ask me. Maybe for a while that was the case but certainly not now. Plus some of them like Steve Hackett and the guys from Rush were all born a little later anyway. 

I know about your book. The thing is I know most of what's in it so it would be of no real value to me. If I see it in the library I'll check it out though. Or if you ever do a version of more recent prog. Anyway, good luck with it though.
djfake View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2017 at 15:11
Is it also absurd that you would dismiss an entire book on the basis of one sentence in a review, even when the reviewer (who read the book) found it "Fascinating, and persuasively explained in the context of his premise."

Here is no substitute for heavy lifting, my friend!

www.progressiverock.com
Disconnect View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2017 at 06:45
I have a copy of the 2007 printing, I page through it no less than 3-4 times per week as I spin my way through my prog vinyl collection.

Is there a newer edition available?  The copy I have has a different cover than the "Minstrels" vinyl groove cover. 
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2017 at 06:55
If you are referring to what I said I didn't dismiss it based on what one reviewer said. In fact I didn't dismiss the book at all. I'm sure it's a great book for those who want to explore prog further and don't know where to start. For me personally I have all the information I need to buy prog music for the next several years. 

Also, being that these days it seems that mostly newer prog is what is on the radar of most prog fans it's good to expose at least some of them to the older bands and albums they might not otherwise know about so kudos for doing that.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - August 17 2017 at 06:59
scruffydragon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2017 at 12:44
This is my 4th attempt at posting here. I AM NOT A ROBOT, I AM NOT A ROBOT,I AM NOT A ROBOT, perhaps it will go away if I close my eyes and wish hard enough.

It's a good book and a must for every coffee table. My only grumble.................................More pages pleaseThumbs Up
Been around and collecting the progressive underground of the late 60's early 70's for years and this book has been a real eye opener. Thank you for a marvellous reference book. 
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2018 at 04:37

Fairly few books merit the name of a "brick", but this one does: not only because of its name, but also its format that comes close to a real clay brick, though the book's cover is neither strawberry or clay colour like. Despite its foundational reference book nature, it is a brick which you shouldn't place at the bottom of your library's foundation, because you will probably pull it out repeatedly to verify some info on an album's place in progressive rock's history.

Though a lot of encyclopedian music books follow some kind of chronology, Charles Snider has a different concept than most music books, who either go through the history of a musical movement either year by year, group by group. In the present case, he goes one further by respecting a more strict chronology, going through the year's releases month by month, which is as far as I know the first time this has been done. Aymeric Leroy has done this to some extent on his Canterbury School recent book, but if that other (thicker) brick does review somewhat the albums released, it is not its main goal.

Indeed, this monthly release notion is relatively important in understanding as to whom influenced whom and eventually on on which album. Most other books will present a given year's output on the same pedestal with no chronological order, unless a band/artiste has put out more than one album that year.

This monthly release notion is not only an important one, but a sometimes complicated task, as the information is not necessarily easily available/ Most records will give the recording date, but never the actual release date, though one can extrapolate that it would normally be marketed roughly six to 15 weeks after the recording sessions, though there is no rule at all. In some case, the author did not manage to find a more precise date, so he will give "Autumn 71" (which is still fine) or "Sometime in 73" (which means that the author's search for additional info failed)  

Of course the book doesn't fully manage to translate  Snider's excellent website of the same name, as the actual timeline is simply unformattable (read practically impossible) onto paper, unless using the foldable leporello format, but even then I doubt the result will be very practical. Though still focusing on the late-60's until the late 70's, this 2.0 version of Strawberry Brick book sees the timeline extended to the early 80's, and he gives us a rapid overview of decades to come as an epilogue. As another "bonus", a series of lengthy and fascinating interviews of some of the key actors - no superstars, but some essential artistes – are very welcome.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123