Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMagma

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 17>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2008 at 19:30
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

Originally posted by tuxon tuxon wrote:

So stony Magma is a name drop band?

Well, for newbies into prog, I certainly think it is, insofar as that goes in the realm of prog. Mags like Classic Rock often toss in "MDK" into a compilation list and say "this stuff is way crazy, man. It's the quintessential token weird prog album.

who cares about n00bs, or the unexperienced.

the only way to get people interested is by immidiat exposure, not by building up, fr that only causes boredom, I was builded up to Magma, and I was geting bored until I heard Magma, so why should one build up towards the final when the final is all we want to hear.
I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT
Squonkman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2008 at 19:41

I experienced them live twice, and I got bored during both concerts. So much so that I found I was fighting to concentrate, and when you do that, its really not enjoyable.

Shakespeare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2008 at 19:46
Originally posted by Squonkman Squonkman wrote:

Originally posted by Shakespeare Shakespeare wrote:

I have seen Magma twice live, have a DVD and a few albums. So I have given them a very good listen and a chance to impress me. Vastly overrated imo. They do nothing for me. Seeing them live is interesting, but ultimately neither time I saw them spurred me to run out and listen to their albums. Its really closer to avant garde classical music than progressive rock. While other people around me were in musical nirvana, there was also a lot of people who headed for the exits. I think that's rude, so I stayed throughout both times, but they are definitely a style that you either like or could simply do without and not miss it. The odd thing is, I am into all kinds of classical music, and symphonic prog, but the Kobaian chanting just loses me. I need to be emotionally invested in the music and/or lyrics, and the chants do nothing for me emotionally.

They don't claim to be progressive rock. In fact, they deny it.

But they are listed here as a progressive rock band. For people who are perusing this site, and come upon Magma, they might have a certain preconception of what they might sound like. If they understand going in, this is closer to avant garde classical, with jazz and opera influences, they might not be as disappointed when they hear it.

We also list John Zorn, Protest the Hero, and Death as progressive rock. How pure avant-garde music, punk, and death metal are related to a short-lived bombastic keyboard music of the early 70s is beyond me, but if they are, then surely the Zeuhl movement must be as well. The only pure prog is in the Symphonic and the Eclectic subgenres. I think most people either realize this, or think that prog rock encompasses anything 'good', therefore they should be open to prog being anything from bombastic keyboard music to Neo-pre-post-avant-triple B flat-noise-core.

Sorry for the laplacism.
Squonkman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2008 at 19:54

I have seen Magma twice live, have a DVD and a few albums. So I have given them a very good listen and a chance to impress me. Vastly overrated imo. They do nothing for me. Seeing them live is interesting, but ultimately neither time I saw them spurred me to run out and listen to their albums. Its really closer to avant garde classical music than progressive rock. While other people around me were in musical nirvana, there was also a lot of people who headed for the exits. I think that's rude, so I stayed throughout both times, but they are definitely a style that you either like or could simply do without and not miss it. The odd thing is, I am into all kinds of classical music, and symphonic prog, but the Kobaian chanting just loses me. I need to be emotionally invested in the music and/or lyrics, and the chants do nothing for me emotionally.

But they are listed here as a progressive rock band. For people who are perusing this site, and come upon Magma, they might have a certain preconception of what they might sound like. If they understand going in, this is closer to avant garde classical, with jazz and opera influences, they might not be as disappointed when they hear it.

We also list John Zorn, Protest the Hero, and Death as progressive rock. How pure avant-garde music, punk, and death metal are related to a short-lived bombastic keyboard music of the early 70s is beyond me, but if they are, then surely the Zeuhl movement must be as well. The only pure prog is in the Symphonic and the Eclectic subgenres. I think most people either realize this, or think that prog rock encompasses anything 'good', therefore they should be open to prog being anything from bombastic keyboard music to Neo-pre-post-avant-triple B flat-noise-core.

Sorry for the laplacism.

I'm not arguing that Magma is not progressive rock. It certainly is. You're the one that said Magma themselves rejects the designation. I was simply saying that in sound, to the unitiated, it sounds more like avante garde modern classical than what is traditionally thought of as classic progressive rock. That's all. So this original poster of this thread probably hears it being raved about and recommended and described as genius, probably doesn't read up enough on what he's getting into, and then when he hears it, he's disappointed....
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2008 at 20:01

Sorry for the laplacism.

I'm not arguing that Magma is not progressive rock. It certainly is. You're the one that said Magma themselves rejects the designation. I was simply saying that in sound, to the unitiated, it sounds more like avante garde modern classical than what is traditionally thought of as classic progressive rock. That's all. So this original poster of this thread probably hears it being raved about and recommended and described as genius, probably doesn't read up enough on what he's getting into, and then when he hears it, he's disappointed....

Yes and I'm simply saying that Magma is not the only band on the archives who sound more like [genre] than classic progressive rock, and who also has raving fans and reviews.

(I would just like to point out that I don't particularly think Magma is a progressive rock band...only by PA's standard for what is considered prog.)

Edited by Shakespeare - April 24 2008 at 20:03
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2008 at 20:04
Originally posted by alanerc alanerc wrote:

So, I listened to Magma
And you all call'em geniuses?

they suck

I'm fairly sure Magma don't like you either. LOL

Is it not within the realm of possibility that due to the diverse range of music on this site that they simply just don't appeal to you?  I've sampled a little and they haven't scored with me, but so what?

If you're going to try and start an interesting conversation in the forums you could at least explain yourself.  Let's see, I've rescanned the posts and did you even bother to respond to one, hell no.

So, if you are even paying attention, who are your geniuses?  I'll even let you off the hook a little and say you don't have to explain why.

For the Magma enthusiasts, please review my list of reviews (no, you don't have to actually read them all) and tell which album you think would make me a convert.  Now, you all should explain why.

I've listened to a few Zeuhl samples here and am a little intrigued, the genre hasn't caught fire with me, but I retain an open mind and ear.

Edited by Slartibartfast - April 24 2008 at 21:14
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2008 at 20:11
Originally posted by Moatilliatta Moatilliatta wrote:

^Right, not for everyone, but they clearly do not suck.

Except for maybe Popsicles, some might do penises, etc.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2008 at 20:28
...Popsicles don't suck either.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2008 at 20:50
^the category is things that people in the band might suck, I think.  Tongue

Oh, and please beware of popsicles that try and suck you...

Edited by Slartibartfast - April 24 2008 at 21:02

Magic Mountain View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2008 at 21:22
Last year at this time I only owned MDK and I didn't particularly like it all that much.  I definitely didn't get the hype.  Then NEARfest came along.  Magma was the last band on the last day, so I thought that I would get an early start going home.  So I went to their set thinking I would give them a few songs, seeing that I consider myself open minded.  Not only didn;t I leave early, they blew me away.  Out of hundreds/thousands of concerts I've been to in my life they were one of the best ever.  I now have 15 of their cds and love everyone.  I wish that I could have seen them in the 70s.
BroSpence View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2008 at 21:33
First time I heard Magma I liked them.  Then all the other times I did as well.  Its pretty cool that way.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2008 at 21:49
Originally posted by BroSpence BroSpence wrote:

First time I heard Magma I liked them.  Then all the other times I did as well.  Its pretty cool that way.

top 5 posts ever
Leningrad View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2008 at 21:59
Originally posted by alanerc alanerc wrote:

So, I listened to Magma
And you all call'em geniuses?

they suck

And seriously, folks, what's the deal with airline food?
VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2008 at 22:04
Theusz Hamtaahk!

I'm not upto date with Magma as I should be, but what I have heard is astonishingly good.  It does have classical and jazz influences, but it's not classical at all.

When did you last hear a classical band with fuzz bass and a big drum sound?  It's very unique music and it's also intoxicating.

I must buy Mekanik Destruktiw Kommandoh.

Edited by James - April 24 2008 at 22:05
rileydog22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2008 at 22:44
Originally posted by James James wrote:

Theusz Hamtaahk!

I'm not upto date with Magma as I should be, but what I have heard is astonishingly good.  It does have classical and jazz influences, but it's not classical at all.

When did you last hear a classical band with fuzz bass and a big drum sound?  It's very unique music and it's also intoxicating.

I must buy Mekanik Destruktiw Kommandoh.

And everything else that isn't Merci. 

DJPuffyLemon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2008 at 22:54
I actually think Theusz Hamtaahk is a little better than MDK, at least when you compare it to the live version of MDK.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2008 at 22:55
Is Merci that bad is it?

I'm listening to the debut, it's quite a lot different to Theusz Hamtaahk from Retrospektiw I-II.  I still love it though.
rileydog22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2008 at 23:16
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

If one can't stand the heat, stay out of the Magma.  The cool thing about Magma followers is that they rarely get hotheaded when discussing the group with those that feel burned by Magma.

Actually, the cool thing about Magma followers is that I'm one. 

The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2008 at 23:35
Well... Magma for me (the only album I've heard and reviewed, Kohntaktorzs or something) was like a "this is great and very interesting and intellectual but I'm just listening to it because I have to listen to every kind of music" kind of experience. Can't deny the talent and the creativity and anything, but after more than a few listens of the whole thing, I just decided: "Magma.. we have to talk. It's not you, it's me"

Funny how the worst post ever (well, one of them) can lead to interesting discussion. The first post should be deleted, changed to "i don't like Magma. Comment" and everything would be fine.

But of course, nothing beats a good troll-hunting...Tongue
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2008 at 23:37
Try a different album Teo, such as the debut or M.D.K.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 17>