Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDavid Bowie

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2008 at 23:20
I've gone over this territory before, in at least one previous thread, so pardon the repetition.

Amongst prog listeners (at least those I knew) back around 1970, Bowie represented everything that prog was not.  To put it another way, he was the embodiment of the whole style-over-substance problem and was regarded in my prog circles anyway as nothing more nor less than perhaps a warmed over Alice Cooper or T Rex. 

With 30 years' hindsight, I have of course come to recognize the errors of my ways, though it took collaborations with Eno/Fripp for me to accept Bowie.  I would think the 'Berlin' albums qualify as prog-related. 

Bowie got a bit of a boost rep-wise when Nirvana covered  wha? -- Man Who Sold the World?

But I'd put Bang A Gong or Metal Guru up against that early stuff and maybe cover the point spread.

Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2008 at 08:50
Thumbs%20Up I love loads of Bowie's music! Cool

Among my favourite albums, in rough order, are:

The Man Who Sold the World (Width of a Circle is one of my all-time fave classic, epic R&R songs, plus we get the late great Mick Ronson on lead!)

Ziggy Stardust (Starman -- that singing Ronson lead hook! Soul Love! Five years!)

Hunky Dory (so many essential, iconic songs here!)

Lodger (very cool -- very varied & "progressive," with some absolutely classic, but often neglected songs like Red Money, Boys Keep Swingin, Red Sails, etc! Belew's in the band!)

Heroes
Low (On both of these, perhaps unlike many die-hard proggers here, I prefer the more accessible "pop" songs, but it's all cool.)

Stage (the version of Station to Station is KILLER, and, by itself, worth the ticket price! Play it at a party, and for gawd's sake, TURN IT UP!!)

Scary Monsters (The Frippster! What a cool lead on the title track! & Major Tom returns!)

Heathen (he's still got it -- in spades!)

Plus LOTS of other superb stuff! Clap

"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2008 at 13:56
Been a fan for years, have most of his work. I don't think you can label him as being any one genre as like Frank Zappa and The Beatles, I think he's in a class of his own and has done so much it seems daft to put him one genre.

Favourite albums? 'Station To Station' is my personal favourite, with 'Low' chasing just behind.

The worst thing about 'Never Let Me Down' is the production, which is simply ghastly- the worst example of 80s over-production I've ever heard. The first half of the album is actually not at all bad; indeed, I'd say 'Glass Spider' (daft narration notwithstanding) is an overlooked classic, and the title track is a nice ballad let down by terrible keyboard/drum sounds. The second half is crap, to be blunt but I'd still rate it higher than 'Tonight'.

Came away with a new appreciation for 'David Live' and 'Stage' in their reissued, remastered formats; never cared for either in their original versions, particularly 'Stage' which infamously had the applause mixed way down ('Warszawa' originally had audible crowd boos, allegedly!) and what's more, bizarrely shuffled the setlist around so it didn't resemble what was played live. The reissue with extra tracks sorted all that out.

His back catalogue, like Queen and The Rolling Stones, is in a bit of a mess IMHO. Lots of B sides that have fallen by the wayside or songs that were issued as extra tracks that are no longer available. Live Bowie material is still somewhat poorly represented too. Perhaps it's better not to get me started on what a terrible, inconsistent mess The Stones' back catalogue is in, though...
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2008 at 13:59
Originally posted by salmacis salmacis wrote:

Been a fan for years, have most of his work. I don't think you can label him as being any one genre as like Frank Zappa and The Beatles, I think he's in a class of his own and has done so much it seems daft to put him one genre.

very wise James.. struggling with that very idea on a unrelated... to this thread.. matter.

Edited by micky - May 08 2008 at 14:00
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2008 at 14:08
David Bowie.........................UB40
burtonrulez View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2008 at 06:53

what's Ub40 got to do with anything? Confused

ziggystardust360 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2008 at 14:25

He's a true genious.
My favorite album is Lodger.
Scary Monsters is also very excellent.
Young Americans is great.
The Man Who Sold The World is amazing.
Aladdin Sane is a masterpiece.(but not as good as Lodger)
I also liked his debut with the songs ''Uncle Arthur'',''She's Got Medals'',and ''We Are Hungry Men''.
If i could get rid of one album though it would be Let's Dance.

''I always had the repulsive need to be something other than human''-David Bowie
Spiritinthesky View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2008 at 15:57
Have you heard the new Live in Santa Monica album, it is fantastic. Recorded by a local radio station in 1972. All the band are on fire, and Mick Ronson...what a player!
"I gave up drugs when the doctor told me I had 6 months to live" Keith Richards

Zargus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2008 at 18:19
I always seen it as an unwriten law that every serius music fan shuld have atleast 10 bowie album in his/her collection. Yust as with the beatles, rolling stones, Led zep, pink floyd and so on... he is sutch a iconic and major artist you yust cant ignore him.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12