FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDavid Bowie

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: David Bowie
    Posted: April 30 2008 at 16:18
Hey. I've seen in the forums many threads about the musical chamelon, comedian, corinthian and charicature that is David Bowie, but they all end up on the theme of wether or not he should be included on the archives. This is not the purpose of this thread. I want people to discuss there views on this artist who has given us such wonderful music over the past decades. I am not, I repeat NOT claiming that Ziggy/The Thin white Duke/Aladdin Sane et al. is prog. He isn't (most of the time).
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2008 at 16:36
He's one of if not my favorite artist. I know he does have the most technically outstanding voice, but he's up with Hammill and Gabriel as my favorite vocalist. I think he makes great decisions while singing and adds very many subtles that distinguish between a good singer and a great singer.

Musically he gives you plenty of variety to feed on, which is one of the most important things in an artist to me if I'm following their entire career. Another is consistancy which he mainted up until lodge IMO.

I used to be able to state a favorite album of his, however now it fluctuates between Hunky Dory, Ziggy Stardust, and Young Americans depending on my mood.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
burtonrulez View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2008 at 10:43
Hmmm... I wonder why you say up to Lodger? I think Scary Monsters is a great album.

I could definitely pin down Hunky Dory as my favourite album, but The Man Who Sold the World comes close.

By the way any thoughts on DBs self-titled debut. A bit diferent isn't it?
Linkzie View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2008 at 11:49
David Bowie is an amazing artist & Outside is his best album, IMO. I wish he would release the outtakes he recorded from Outside (known as the "Leon" tapes) as a boxset sometime soon!
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2008 at 12:22
I agree with your policy of "let's not turn this into an argument about PA inclusion", having been in a few of those arguments when I first joined the site, I really don't enjoy discussions like that at all.

Having said that, I am an older guy and was around when progressive rock was just getting started and we always pretty much considered Bowie to be "progressive rock". I think he lost his good standing with the Let's Dance album and I am sure many younger people who grew up when that bland album was everywhere would have a hard time seeing him as progressive.

There you have it, a little history for you younger folks and maybe some insight into why people see him different ways.

It might also be hard for people to imagine that early in his career Elton John was considered to be fairly progressive.
Help the victims of the russian invasion:
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28523&PID=130446&title=various-ways-you-can-help-ukraine#130446
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2008 at 13:07
What got me into Bowie was when I first heard some tracks of Heroes on a local progressive radio show.  I pretty much like everything he's done whenever he gets together with famous progressive musicians. Heathen, Heroes, Low, Outside, Scary Monsters, Lodger are tops with me.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2008 at 16:10
Yes I can see how tracks from ''Heroes'' would definitely be attractive to a prog fan.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2008 at 17:31
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

What got me into Bowie was when I first heard some tracks of Heroes on a local progressive radio show.  I pretty much like everything he's done whenever he gets together with famous progressive musicians. Heathen, Heroes, Low, Outside, Scary Monsters, Lodger are tops with me.
He worked with nearly "famous progressive musicians" on the Space Oddity album - the most notable being Rick Wakeman and John Lodge, but Tim Renwick, Keith Christmas, Herbie Flowers and Paul Buckmaster also have prog connections.
What?
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2008 at 19:00
Originally posted by darqDean darqDean wrote:

Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

He worked with nearly "famous progressive musicians" on the Space Oddity album - the most notable being Rick Wakeman and John Lodge, but Tim Renwick, Keith Christmas, Herbie Flowers and Paul Buckmaster also have prog connections.

There are a few albums I haven't heard yet, and that is actually one of them, I've done a pretty good job collecting albums from Heroes forward, still have much exploring to do in the other direction.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

BroSpence View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2008 at 23:54
Bowie is awesome! I got to see him on the last tour which was great.  He is not only one of the best recording artists ever, but an omega ba BOOOOM performer.  Even in a big stadium he can make you feel like its a tiny room. 

Aladdin Sane, Lodger, Never Let Me Down, Heathen are my top picks for best Bowie albums.
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2008 at 02:00
Originally posted by burtonrulez burtonrulez wrote:

Hmmm... I wonder why you say up to Lodger? I think Scary Monsters is a great album.

I could definitely pin down Hunky Dory as my favourite album, but The Man Who Sold the World comes close.

By the way any thoughts on DBs self-titled debut. A bit diferent isn't it?

I liked Scary Monsters very much, however I didn't enjoy Lodger. When I said up to I did not mean up to and including.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2008 at 02:09

Shocked you like Never Let Me Down, BroSpence. That's a horrifyingly BAD album in my opinion

BroSpence View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2008 at 01:57

Shocked you like Never Let Me Down, BroSpence. That's a horrifyingly BAD album in my opinion

I don't see what is so bad about it.  Bowie is great on it.  The guitar playing is excellent.  Its also a good segue into the Tin Machine era which I also enjoyed (minus the Lennon cover).  I also though Black Tie White Noise was pretty good.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2008 at 17:07

Never Let Me Down falls into the category of  "it could have been a lot better if he had progged out on it". Maybe relatively bad but it stays in my collection, plus I got it used for a reasonable price.

Edited by Slartibartfast - May 03 2008 at 17:08

BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2008 at 18:03
"Lodger" is by far the most  prog album of Bowie and definitely my favourite.

Edited by BaldFriede - May 03 2008 at 18:04

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
DocJ View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2008 at 16:04
"The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars" is his best album.  I don't care if it's Prog or not.
Guzzman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2008 at 04:07
It was The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars which really got me into David Bowie back then (which is almost 36 years ago Shocked) and it is my favorite DB-album. To me it still sounds fresh every time I put it on. I also like Heroes a lot, but after that I somehow seem to have lost track on Bowie. Maybe I should dig deeper into his later works.
"We've got to get in to get out"
Avantgardehead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2008 at 14:48
So far, I only like "Space Oddity" (the song), the ambient halves of Low and Heroes, and the first track from Heathen. This guy's discography is so varied (even within the albums) that it gets pretty frustrating...
http://www.last.fm/user/Avantgardian
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2008 at 16:31
hmmm... I guess 'Never Let Me Down' has a few good moments here and there, but nothing comparing to the greatness of 'Man Who Sold the World', 'Hunky Dory' and of course 'Ziggy Stardust...'
ClassicRocker View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2008 at 22:09
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

I agree with your policy of "let's not turn this into an argument about PA inclusion", having been in a few of those arguments when I first joined the site, I really don't enjoy discussions like that at all.

Having said that, I am an older guy and was around when progressive rock was just getting started and we always pretty much considered Bowie to be "progressive rock". I think he lost his good standing with the Let's Dance album and I am sure many younger people who grew up when that bland album was everywhere would have a hard time seeing him as progressive.

There you have it, a little history for you younger folks and maybe some insight into why people see him different ways.

It might also be hard for people to imagine that early in his career Elton John was considered to be fairly progressive.

Hell, I'm only 16 but i don't find the idea of Bowie being progressive so far-fetched! "Space Oddity" always sounded a bit different from typical pop to me, as does Low and (parts of) Diamond Dogs. Obviously there are others as well. (And just remembered "Memory Of A Free Festival" - really great)

As for Elton John (even though it's "mainstream") I have four words: "Funeral For A Friend"Clap

But yes, back to the topic. I ♥ the Bowie. Currently # 9 in my last.fm!

Edited by ClassicRocker - May 07 2008 at 23:50
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>