1 [20.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bob Drake
    Posted: April 30 2008 at 22:11
DRAKE, BOB is a composer and musician (multi-instrumentalist) that has played both in various bands (Thinking Plague, 5UU's) and alone, which is what this thread is about. He is also an accomplished producer and has his own recording studio at home (France).
Like in my other polls, the voting itself is not what matters but rather discovering and discussing this prolific musician.

his latest album, The Shunned Coutry is a brilliant release of 52 very short songs that show how his mind works; complex and intricate, at first I felt as if he's cutting the deal too soon, but after having chatted with him over at Progressive Ears, I understood his vision and his choice in doing it this way.
I also like Little Black Train and Medallion Animal Carpet a lot.

Here is the bio here in PA:

BOB DRAKE is a veteran of many notable RIO/Avant-rock acts; a founding member of THINKING PLAGUE and comprising one third of the trio that was 5UU’S classic middle period, DRAKE is a central and recurring figure in modern experimental rock music. DRAKE’s talents as a solo artist also appear to be limitless; his bass guitar often recalls the ability and sound of Chris SQUIRE, his guitar and banjo playing brings to mind the fast-picking bluegrass-tinged virtuosity of Steve HOWE, and his voice (often overdubbed into complex harmonies) bares a striking resemblance to that of Jon ANDERSON. Although I’ve just made him sound like a one-man YES, that really does not sum up his style at all: rather, imagine the talents of YES applied to darker, sillier, and generally more complex music. Then throw in the fact that DRAKE is also an excellent violinist and drummer that, additionally, plays keyboards and records, produces, mixes, and engineers his own albums, and you’re starting to get the picture. Did I mention that his production style is exceptionally masterful and recognizable as well? In fact, DRAKE’s amazing ear has been utilized to mix many albums by other artists (avant and otherwise) over the years.

But don’t take my word for it; listen for yourself: check out the samples at www.bdrak.com - if you were intrigued by my description, you shall not be disappointed by the music.

Bio written by Dex F. (penguindf12)

Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2008 at 23:17
I will divert threads purpose already on post one.

What is your opinoin on the skull mailbox? Wayside makes it seem damn fine.

And edit...I have found the rest of Drakes discog at wayside. Tongue What do you recommend to start with?

Edited by Man With Hat - April 30 2008 at 23:25
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
ShW1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2008 at 04:42
congrats for adding Bob Drake to the archives.
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2008 at 09:55
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

And edit...I have found the rest of Drakes discog at wayside. Tongue What do you recommend to start with?

I need to go back to it, but I remember liking it and it having the usual BD trademarks. 3.5 stars.
I can say that for me, he hasn't released a bad album but if I were to choose the one I liked less, than 13 Songs and a Thing would be it, though it has some great trcaks on it!
It has a cool theme of songs about Horror and other mysteries.

However he told me that the first album that today he isn't feeling some shame about doing or justt have a crunge when listening to, is Medallion....
I think he shouldn't be ahamed of anything and I like Little Black Train a lot.

I say you should start with Medallion Animal Carpet; it has the trademark of his sound, short songs, complex and intricate, his particular sound (eerie and also ethreal), his particular voice....

Check out his website for his solo material and his other projects:

He's visiting the US every once in a while (was in Nearfest last year) to perform with his Cabinet of Curiosities
Also he performs with Thinkiing Plague in their curretn Eurpoean mini-tour/shows.
He's dressed as a bear...

Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2008 at 12:05
Originally posted by avestin avestin wrote:

Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

I need to go back to it, but I remember liking it and it having the usual BD trademarks. 3.5 stars.
I can say that for me, he hasn't released a bad album but if I were to choose the one I liked less, than 13 Songs and a Thing would be it, though it has some great trcaks on it!
It has a cool theme of songs about Horror and other mysteries.

However he told me that the first album that today he isn't feeling some shame about doing or justt have a crunge when listening to, is Medallion....
I think he shouldn't be ahamed of anything and I like Little Black Train a lot.

I say you should start with Medallion Animal Carpet; it has the trademark of his sound, short songs, complex and intricate, his particular sound (eerie and also ethreal), his particular voice....

Check out his website for his solo material and his other projects:

He's visiting the US every once in a while (was in Nearfest last year) to perform with his Cabinet of Curiosities
Also he performs with Thinkiing Plague in their curretn Eurpoean mini-tour/shows.
He's dressed as a bear...

LOL

Well...seeing that certainly wakes you up in the morning/early afternoon. That should be added as his artists pic here. Tongue

And thanks. Thumbs%20Up I was thinking either Skull Mailbox or Little Black Train based on waysides discriptions but MAC did sound interesting (hell they all did...haha). He'll be included in my next order for sure.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2008 at 21:03
Originally posted by ShW1 ShW1 wrote:

congrats for adding Bob Drake to the archives.

Hi Shirley,

What you heard from him?

ShW1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2008 at 09:18

Hi Assaf,

Not much, I must admit. But I've heard some cooperates with him. His fingertips is very distinct. Plus if you are into that kind of music (this particular RIO american movement) you couldnt miss him...

I've heard the samples in his site and for now it seems that '13 songs and a thing' are apealing to me the most.

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2008 at 16:42
Originally posted by ShW1 ShW1 wrote:

Hi Assaf,

Not much, I must admit. But I've heard some cooperates with him. His fingertips is very distinct. Plus if you are into that kind of music (this particular RIO american movement) you couldnt miss him...

I've heard the samples in his site and for now it seems that '13 songs and a thing' are apealing to me the most.

Then you should definitely get his albums, You'll love 'em
Whatever you can lay your hands on, grab it.

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2008 at 19:03
Ouch...
Watch the bump
mithrandir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2008 at 20:24
I never did get any of his solo albums, I remember having Little Black Train on my want list forever, there was about a dozen times I almost added it to a Wayside order, now that I have the capabilities I should DL some of this stuff and give it a proper listen...finally, 
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2008 at 23:39
Originally posted by mithrandir mithrandir wrote:

I never did get any of his solo albums, I remember having Little Black Train on my want list forever, there was about a dozen times I almost added it to a Wayside order, now that I have the capabilities I should DL some of this stuff and give it a proper listen...finally, 

May I suggest starting with Medallion Animal Carpet?
Though I like Little Black Train a lot. so...

If you like the eeriness of 5UU's, the complexity and intricacy of Thinking Plague (and U Totem) and soft, haunting vocals (some say like Jon Anderson's, not without merit) then his albums are for you!

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2008 at 10:48
bump
Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2008 at 11:18
Little Black Train. It's the kind of music Fred Frith would have made on Gravity and Speechless if he'd been American rather than English; folk idioms (bluegrass, country, blues etc) with a RIO twist, simultaneously  accessible and complex. Mind you, the same can be said for much of his solo output.
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

d_drak View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2008 at 21:39

If I can only pick 1 it would still have to be "What Day is it?" I have pretty much all of his music and every recording has plenty to enjoy, but I prefer the structured type of songs on "What Day" and "Little Black Train" as well. 

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2009 at 21:35
Bumping this for other people to chime in or discover this creative and talented musician.

Post Reply Post Reply