Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedVelvet Underground for Proto

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2008 at 18:37
hahahah.. 
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2008 at 18:40
^what's the cause of your laught Micky?
clarke2001 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2008 at 02:04
VU again? Proto prog? Are they really within the scope of the site?

Even if the answer is yes..there are so many bands that deserve to be here in proto prog with much greater prog credibility (Grateful Dead, Bonzo Dog Band, damn!)
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2008 at 11:23
Originally posted by debrewguy debrewguy wrote:

I have no problem with their inclusion being put to a vote. As long as anyone who is part of, influenced by, or in any way under the sway, associated or informed by the East Coast "artsy fartsy" critics' clique is excluded in the decision. 

Don't find myself agreeing with the above very often but I do here. Yes, I do concur that the Velvets were a hugely influential band but cannot help but sound a note of caution here:

Apres nous la deluge eg Lou Reed, John Cale, Nico, Stooges, Seeds, Television, Patti Smith, Richard Hell etc (Where will it end ?)

Yep, as fine a collection of urban poets utilising simple stripped down rock music as you could ever possibly hope to meet, but does the east coast bohemian art loft scene even anticipate prog ?

I do think that we are guilty of being seduced by both Reed and Cale's namedropping of avowed avant garde influences more than anything else i.e. Lou Reed's citing of Coltrane as having a significant bearing on VU is just risible 'hipper than thou' posturing and even John Cale's collaborations with Lamonte Young do not carry over the slightest residue into the Velvets. Let's face it, it Mr Young did not patent the drone as exploited by 60's rock music.

VU were probably of more lasting value to the post-punk movement and blazed a trail more for confrontationaly adult lyrics wedded to guitar based chromaticism in their song writing than any genuine musical progress ?

Hey ho....

Edited by ExittheLemming - June 10 2008 at 11:32
akin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2008 at 14:47
Originally posted by clarke2001 clarke2001 wrote:

VU again? Proto prog? Are they really within the scope of the site?

Even if the answer is yes..there are so many bands that deserve to be here in proto prog with much greater prog credibility (Grateful Dead, Bonzo Dog Band, damn!)

Bonzo Dog Band? I don't consider the band prog or prog-related, but maybe the jazz and avant-garde connection to early Zappa and Captain Beefheart Magic Band could render then a proto-prog spot, but I think they are less elegible than VU.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12