FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProg Nation, LA 5/2/08

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog Nation, LA 5/2/08
    Posted: May 03 2008 at 13:57
So here is a quick review of the first date of the tour at the Gibson Ampitheatre in LA:

SInce Dream Theater set all of their stuff up and soundchecked before the show, every other band was squeezed into the remaining space in the front of the large stage. All of the bands were only given time to check the sound in their monitors, and the sound guy dealt with the crowd's mix while the bands were playing their sets. I was a bit frustrated with this, because each of the opening acts ended up with poor mixes even until the end of the sets. Dream Theater, of course, sounded amazing. I'm not pointing the finger at anyone; I'm just saying that the opening bands should have been given some sound check time so that the sound would reflect the quality of their performances.

Before and between the sets, I caught some Riverside, Dear Hunter, Beardfish, and The String Quartet Tribute to Dream Theater being played.

The sets were as follows:

3: "The World Is Born of Flame," "The End Is Begun," "Battle Cry," "All That Remains," "My Divided Falling," "Monster," an amazing sequence of acoustic guitar solo (a must see! that guy is amazing), it was basically "Bramfatura," a drum/percussion jam, then everyone joined in and the singer did some great skat vocals (hard to explain, but truly impressive), and they closed with "Amazedisgrace."

That instrumental jam really got the crowd going, and certainly caught the attention of and impressed those unfamiliar with the group. I wish that side of them would come out on their records a bit more. Regardless, 3 is a great live band.

BTBAM: Ants of the Sky and White Walls (with the segues from the preceding tracks on the album)

I would have liked to see more of them, but they did play the two songs I really wanted to see. What a stunning band!

Opeth: "Master's Apprentices," "The Baying of the Hounds," "In My Time of Need," "Wreath," "Heir Apparent," "The Drapery Falls"

It should also be noted that Mikael is a funny guy. Good, diverse, albeit short set

DT: "In the Presence of Enemies, Pt. 1," "Beyond This Life," "Blind Faith," "Forsaken," "Erotomania," "Voices," "The Ministry of Lost Souls"

Bertween the set and the encore they played a hilarious video where they mixed "The Dark Eternal Night" with Super Mario. Much happens in the video so I'm not going to even start explaining it

Encore: A medley of "Metropolis, Pt. 1," "Learning to Live" and the final movement of "A Change of Seasons" with a fantastic Petrucci/Rudess duel in Metropolis. Rudess played the continuum and this crazy-looking keytar which enabled him to walk about the stage and what not. It was an awesome encore!

As always, DT were spot-on. What an experience! I love seeing this band live. I was also surprised and thoroughly pleased they brought out Blind Faith, Erotomania and Voices.

Edited by Moatilliatta - May 04 2008 at 15:37
www.last.fm/user/ThisCenotaph
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2008 at 18:04
Opeth played almost the exact same set when I saw them at the Academy here in Birmingham last wednesday, though they opened with Demon of the Fall instead.

Looks like it was a good night.Thumbs%20Up
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2008 at 22:56
Well, it is Dream Theater taking out these bands on tour. I've seen all 4 bands before, but not together and I can say its a great lineup. Only really shame is that Opeth only gets to play for such a short time and not enough time to set up, because they are on par with Dream Theater in terms of popularity and should have been given more than the 45-60 minute set they got?? But its perfectly understandable setlist.

Too bad I'm missing this.
Drew View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2008 at 15:06
Saw them Saturday Night- yes- Opeth way on WAY too short. But EVERY band was excellent. Great concert.

Moatilliatta View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2008 at 16:36
^What were the sets?
Drew View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2008 at 16:40
Adding a track to the DT list- they played "Misunderstood." It was pretty freaking awesome. I didn't write down the lists- but it was pretty much the same as the LA list.

The Super Mario Brothers thing was pretty damn funny/cool.

Edited by Drew - May 05 2008 at 16:41

Statutory-Mike View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2008 at 07:50
Yeah, I'm looking forward to the 2nd NYC show at Terminal 5. It should be great, I know what you're talking about as far as the mix for the opening, when I saw them in August, Into Eternity and Redemption's sound was not so great until the end of the set. Dream Theater's sound was amazing as always though. I really hope Opeth's sound is good though, considering they are the other "Big" band on this tour.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2008 at 16:32
^Well the thing is that DT sets up and soundchecks before the show, so they have time to get everything perfect. The other bands have to set up and do a quick soundcheck right before they play.

^^And wow, pretty cool that DT is whipping out some of the less popular titles on Six Degrees for this tour.
acheron View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2008 at 21:33
I saw the show in Chicago last night at the Rosemont theater.  The set lists were basically the same, except I didn't like BTBAM at all.  If you're into bands that scream/growl and every song sounds the same, and that have the exact same radiohead rip-off interlude in every song then you might like them.   Opeth growl, but they pull it off better than any other band that i've heard, and their lead singer is hilarious and charismatic.

DT was spot-on as usual, but if anyone from the band or anyone who knows the band ever reads this tell them that they need to play longer sets, and they need to play "new millenium" and "under a glass moon" on the next tour! 
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2008 at 13:46
^When DT play by themselves, they play for 3 hours. The point of this tour was to bring out some lesser known prog bands and help them get out there a bit more.

Also, you're severely understating BTBAM's music. If you listen to the full Colors album, you wouldn't be saying those things.
acheron View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2008 at 14:09
I'm not getting into a debate about screaming/ growling in metal, but I hate it.  It sounds bad.  there is not one ounce of melody in screaming and growling.  It all sounds exactly the same.  That's just my opinion.   I did listen to some of colors last night and instrumentally there is some cool stuff, but the screaming completely ruins it. 
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2008 at 16:14
Haha, I was not striking a debate. I understand that the vocals ruin it for some people, and the vocals might sound the same, but you're generalizing the songs by the vocals. And obviously the screams/growls are not meant to be melodic. I have a difficult time with some screaming and growling myself when it's overdone or without seriously fantastic music.

We can agree to disagree!
etherealpixie View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2008 at 14:02
yeah I was there. It was pretty amazing, since it was 3 of my favorite bands!
The super mario thing made me laugh
it was just an amaing night...
Treasure View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2008 at 13:59
Oh man, I always wanted to see them play Beyond This Life live. That song rocks.

But, I got to see Scarred.
Statutory-Mike View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2008 at 22:08
 ^
I saw beyond this life in NYC Evil%20Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply