Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Aquarium Thread

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Aquarium Thread
    Posted: May 03 2008 at 14:00
Аквариум appreciation time! (or Aquarium, as they're known in English). Anyone else a fan of this great Russian band? From their PA bio:

"Aquarium are a legendary Russian rock band, formed by singer/songwriter/multi-instrumentalist Boris Grebenshikov in Leningrad in 1972, along with Anatoly Gunitsky, poet and playwright.
In the 70's rock was banned in the communist Soviet Union, so rock bands were forced to remain underground and could not record albums. They played mostly to intimate audiences in private apartments or small auditoriums. These concerts were popular among Soviet's few lovers of Rock music, as there was no exposure to Western rock bands. The concerts were sometimes taped on simple recorders, and those low-quality recordings were the only way to get records on tape.
Aquarium became one of those who made it big after Rock became accepted in Russia in
the 80's. Led by a Grebenshikov throughout their career, their influences aside from
traditional Russian folk music vary from The Beatles and David bowie to Progressive
artists like JETHRO TULL, KING CRIMSON, ROXY MUSIC, etc. Also reggae influence is
clearly visible on certain tracks. "

I only have a few of their albums (Electricity and Radio Africa are my favorites) because they've been difficult to find, but I know there's quite a few at Russian Beat.

Fans, unite!

Post Reply Post Reply