Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Get The Word Out
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Space Pirate Radio

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 24>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
dmastous View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmastous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 23:02
Originally posted by Nada One Nada One wrote:

Sweet! Like uncovering buried treasure.
Still interested in planting the Tangerine Tree?  Tangerine Tree LOGO

Not sure what that would entail. I have a lot of TD.  All as MP3's. Many live shows from the previous Tangerine Trees.
Blobfish View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blobfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2013 at 16:34
Nada, 
SP wit, cheers. 
Guy spitting Tangerine Dream seeds from the 9th floor of the Granada, planting Porcupine Trees in San Luis Obliss...
 oh so do miss, the radar blips n' flounder flips on the channel islands.

Swimmingly,
Blobfish
"Everyone has a time machine. The ones that take you back are memories; and the ones that take you forward are dreams."   H.G. Wells
dmastous View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmastous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2013 at 10:56
So I've gone through all the shows I have with Shazam, in addition to SoundHound, and Google Music Search. With all three I was able to identify about 80% of the unidentified songs. I'm down to about 300+ songs unidentified.
Many thanks for the suggestion. I thought about doing that, but didn't think the program would encompass more than the most popular and most recent music.
In the process I discovered many new songs, artists and options to add to my musical pallat. I've purchased the songs I like, and updated the SPR songs on my Ipod and I'm listening now to Sadistic Mika Band's Kurofume Kai (a long ago identified song from my initial SPR recordings) nesting along with Solution's Chappaqua (another song from both my missing tapes, and my new shows, now IDed thanks to SoundHound), and about 650 other wonderful SPR type songs.
Thanks for suggestion Shazam and other programs of it's Ilk.
Now I've created low quality mono versions of the unidentified songs, and will post them on my web site's SPR page and send a link to see if anyone can ID the remaining songs. Then I will post the playlists at some point.
Shazam was definitley the best at Identifiying Prog-Rock, but SoundHound was better at new wave. Google search was a very distant third, but once in awhile it would come up with a song the other two couldn't. You'd think with Google's resouces they could make it better, but no such luck there.
The only  real issue I had was Shazam, and to a lesser extent Google, suggesting recent songs, more or less throwing them out as possiblilies. SoundHound was definitely better at accuarcy. When it IDed a song, that was the song. Shazam was the worst.
Anyway, I'll be working the web pages over the next few weeks or months, and link to them when I'm done. Time for some work on the SPR page anyway. It's been too long neglected.

Nada One View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nada One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2013 at 00:18
dmastous, would you please post a link to your SPR page?
dmastous View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmastous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2013 at 09:24
Well, I created the page (rudimentally anyway), and wanted to link it to my current SPR page, but had no real inspiration to redesign the current 15 year old page (here: http://www.mastous.net/spr.html). After a couple of weeks of no inspiration, I also got no replies to my comment, so I kind of let it go.
I'm trying to post it now as a standalone, but I'm now having difficulty logging into my site. It may take a couple days to sort this out. I'll send the link when it's posted.
Nada One View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nada One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2013 at 23:15
Smile Good luck with whatever is needed to get your page going. When I posted "a taste of the past" I needed a place to link the audio from so I hastily threw something together on my free ISP web space and quickly found that things did not work like before as well. My ISP "updated" things a bit, so I had to learn their new methods to move forward. 
I have been searching to find anyone that remembered SPR for decades now and even sections of a playlist seemed beyond hope. I'm jazzed that you are considering doing this at all. When I mentioned the tangerine tree I was alluding to putting together a similar work, but of SPR playlists.  Please post a link when you think it's ready. For now I'm content to follow Guy's blog when time permits. I'm very glad he started that. I am especially pleased that he is posting David Fontana's work. Perhaps you can get Guy's OK to use Dave's art on your page.

Edited by Nada One - October 28 2013 at 23:29
dmastous View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmastous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2013 at 07:42
Here's the link:

Pretty rudimentary. The files are low quality mono MP3s. They should play in your browser, or you can download them and play them on your computer.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2013 at 04:39
Originally posted by dmastous dmastous wrote:

Here's the link:

Pretty rudimentary. The files are low quality mono MP3s. They should play in your browser, or you can download them and play them on your computer.

This kinda defeats the whole thing, and in some ways, it was a fair criticism that Guy had about me ... because I wanted the music, too!

The show, for all intents and purposes, was a "movie" from beginning to end, and separating the parts of the movie, broke it up into nothing. Having the music, is of course, what radio is about! He DID have a promo that said "like a foreign movie without the sub-titles" and I think that is appropriate, specially when you stop at a Foreign Film Festival and you can see how many folks DON'T go to foreigh films, and instead go see all the American, and English films ... excuse me, here in Portland they will go if Pedro Almodovar shows up!

There are a lot of things in these, that are difficult to identify, because Guy himself also did many sound effects and fun things that ended up in the midst of the music, and might not necessarily be an album at all. Adding these on top of an album, with the tv or some foreign radio behind it, made it even more foreign and interesting to listen to, which was a nice touch, all around. He also had a friend that had a nice synthesizer and I can not tell you how much he and that friend played with it, and recorded, but it would be very much like Guy to go find out and fool around on it and do something strange/weird/different/funny ... !!!

It is one of the things that is missing in "radio", yesterday and today, that will never be there again! The  most radio can do is 3 teacher songs back to back ... wooowwwww ... before the next commercial!  Oh, wait, I just heard one of those DAW radio stations with the same beat for 4 hours, and someone just throwing sound effects forwards and backwards and no music! How intelectual that sounds! Maybe listening to the turkeys at KUFO here in Portland is better! Radio is dead! Long live Guy!

I just don't think that Guy is interested in radio, or some of its morons and megalomaniacs! And Xirius and the other one are just more of the same corporate bullmerde selling only their stuff. They would never be man enough to give Guy 10 minutes!

AND this is the part that a board like this will have a hard time dealing with. You can't hear just the music.

You have to have the song or the album, and if there was an experience with it ... IT'S GONE!  In some cases, the music is even better because of his show!

The context with which, the stuff is shown and heard, makes the difference about it all!

Unlike many radio and internet folks out there, none of them, have the conceptual ability to do anything anywhere as good or entertaining as Guy did ... though it changed somewhat and I find the shows I heard from 1995 sounding morelike radio, but still different! The early days were massively "out there", and as such much more valuable and fun to listen to.

No one here, other than us, has any idea, what we are talking about. And sadly, they NEVER will know, because Guy's wishes are to not show or share these.

Edited by moshkito - November 02 2013 at 15:44
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Blobfish View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blobfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2013 at 16:34
Heya,

Yes, I can't agree more with Moshpito, SPR was a soundtrack under the evening's moonglow to shimmering sunrise... 
...for me, at sea.
Phosphorescent squid eyes dashing through the foam under a full moon to Ash Ra Temple... Cosmic.
Iridescent inklings' milky way smoke through Pink Floyd meddle rippling... Stellar.

Guy Guden, thanks for the memories.
"Everyone has a time machine. The ones that take you back are memories; and the ones that take you forward are dreams."   H.G. Wells
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2013 at 12:48
Originally posted by Blobfish Blobfish wrote:

Heya,

Yes, I can't agree more with Moshpito, SPR was a soundtrack under the evening's moonglow to shimmering sunrise... 
...for me, at sea.
Phosphorescent squid eyes dashing through the foam under a full moon to Ash Ra Temple... Cosmic.
Iridescent inklings' milky way smoke through Pink Floyd meddle rippling... Stellar.

That's one thing that is missing from a lot of stuff out there, and I have gone through the Live 365 list, for example, and the folks running that place are nuts, and just repeating the same pieces over and over again. Well, they could get cynical on us and say that moon and sun still come up, but I get the feeling they don''t know how to trip and enjoy the time and space at all! The music is meaningless to them, in the middle of ... next song!

I still have moments, for example, listening to some things ... like Pink Floyd, and then Third Ear Band back to back, and its very nice, and followed by Colin Townes ... and each time I hear the Third Ear Band album it's very clinical and academic, but it's empty, compared to how it was played, and next to which pieces. On top of it, Guy even had sound effects of rain, some light thunder going in the background.

It takes a very special FEEL and appreciation for music, to be able to do this. Most folks in radio are just playing their favorites and it's so damn obvious in Live 365 or FM or any of those listed places! They always go back to a "song" that is a "classic hit" ... they forgot how to close their eyes and live!!!

Say hi, to your brother, btw ... miss his funny antics while we were cooking!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Blobfish View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blobfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2013 at 21:37
Gut Gott, where did these 'Emoticons' come from? Walmart's record bin?
For  'prog archives' ain't rush cheap enough?

I've been ogglin' up from the deep, lookin' for new bubble rain coats n' boots...but, nea,  not much here...
... polyester wear of the 70's still seems the 'fashion state'.

Grateful to those that appreciated SPR... like minds, that lived to drift out n' not be 'chum'.

Moshman, 
Si, Si, P' Scungilli is doin' well, cookin' n' playin' sax on occasion with the 'Wrinkling Brothers'.

Best to you n' yours,

DJ Scungilli Von Tuna
(in a blobfish bowler) 

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2013 at 10:57
Originally posted by Blobfish Blobfish wrote:

Heya,

...for me, at sea.

Guy Guden, thanks for the memories.

The more I read this, the more I shed a tear now and then, as to how much listening is being done to music that has no connection to anything, except another 5 minute cut. I was going to do a thing at Live365, but their support is horrendous and in the end, they only wanted "cuts" and they did not understand the rest at all. Like before, I wanted to do a nonstop collage for a couple of hours and then mix poetry, prose, and other comments like yours (with permission, of course) to try and get people to "re-connect" with music and the inner life of the magic theater, that so many of Guy's shows were about ... and I'm just glad to know that I am not the only one out there that knows this and "the secret" ... behind most music!

There aren't many of us that describe the music so poetically and artistically, like we do!

Good nourishment for the soul, let me tell yahhh ... like you don't already know!

Happy New Year to you et al!

Edited by moshkito - December 23 2016 at 19:18
www.pedrosena.com
Blobfish View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blobfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2014 at 15:49
Cheers ta' all  n' keep on listenin' to anew floatin' notes...
...forget da' bottom-feeders... n' don't get crabs.

Singnor,
Blob'Pesci 

DJ Scungilli
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2014 at 11:18
Hi,

Happy Birthday SPR on January 27th. God Almight ... 40 years.

The hard part of it all? Folks here don't believe it and even think we're fabricating Raving and Drooling!

Happy wishes to you and the family Blob ...
www.pedrosena.com
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2014 at 11:52
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

The hard part of it all? Folks here don't believe it and even think we're fabricating Raving and Drooling!

No they don't. Just stop with the unfounded accusations. It's not big and it's not clever.
What?
misterdirk View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote misterdirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2014 at 11:33
Greetings all — As I mentioned a few years ago, I am the registrant for <spacepirateradio.com>. I also have <spacepiratevideo.com>. I have offered them gratis to Guy several times since 1999 in hopes that an Internet radio/video show might happen, but he has declined. I got a medical diagnosis a few months ago which has considerably shortened my prospects, so in the interest of putting my affairs in order, I want to dispense with these domain names properly. I think that members of this group might be appropriate owners. I will sell them (only as a set) for $3k USD via PayPal in order to cover my holding costs since 1999. If no one in this group is interested, then I or my relatives will put them up for auction beginning in June 2014. Contact me by Private Message on this site if you are interested. Kind regards, Mr. Dirk.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2014 at 12:41
Hi,

Years ago, more like 15 or so, when I was doing support in a large ISP for Web Hosting, I had immediately sent a note to Guy, that even if he did not know the internet, that he would need to OWN these, regardless. However, I'm inclined to believe that Guy's computer knowledge at the time was not as good to make this possible for him to get/understand. It's not something that we're all comfortable with, anyway!

Too late, was my guess. Too little too late!

Honestly, considering that you knew/know the folks that are posting here, that are/were close to Guy, that I find it embarassing and a complete insult that you are doing this.

Guy's show, was a labor of love that cost him dearly in health and effort, specially in the earlier days, for which folks like you get the chance to take advantage of things.

I can not really condemn that, since this is America, and in America the law allows for people to be ripped off by those you (supposedly) know! Even I that have so many hours of his show, did accidentally share some of them once, but all in all, I have never shared it with anyone else, and if I did, there would not be a single cent involved. Why? Because it deserves the same spirit with which it was created. That spirit, my friend, is not corruptible, and can not be violated. You make the choice!

With that said, good luck and have a wonderful day. It is not for me to judge you and your maker. Only you can do that and find the love/care/understanding and appreciation that it takes to do something that Guy did against so many odds and abuses that he had to put up with, specially in the early days. It is your choice, and as such ... it is who and what you are.

Edited by moshkito - May 18 2014 at 12:58
www.pedrosena.com
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2014 at 13:34
Christ Pedro, have a heart. 

Dirk has a terminal illness and only wants to cover the cost of owning these domains for the past 15 years (@ $100 a year) - I don't see that as ripping anyone off.
What?
misterdirk View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote misterdirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 11:15
I don’t mean to play the sympathy card -- we're all terminal. I only mention my medical diagnosis because I can foresee a time where I am no longer in charge of these names. I would prefer to dispense with them responsibly. I have offered them to this group because you are presumably sympathetic to Guy’s art. If there’s no interest here, then I’ll submit them to the open market like a good little pirate.

To clarify further, I would still be perfectly happy to turn both domain names over to Guy completely gratis, but that offer only extends to him. I have never profited from owning the domain names, and I have never misrepresented myself as Space Pirate Radio. In all my communications both private and public I have made that clear (and I have all my email archives to prove it) — it’s nonsense to imply that I have taken advantage of Guy. It’s more accurate to say that I have held open for him the option of launching his radio show on the Internet, and I blocked anyone else from using the SPR domain names. My last two emails to Guy went unanswered, so I can only assume that he hasn’t changed his mind. I’d be stoked if I’m wrong and he wants them.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2014 at 15:43
Hi,

So sorry if it didn't sound right, and it was not meant to sound as bad. But we can always discuss Moliere and his philosophy bowling while ripping his tights! I do have a heart and losing another person that appreciate a piece of history, in my book, is not my idea of I hate life. I love the work he did and I know that all the folks that were all together and a part of it in one way or another, were all very special, and valuable.

Not sure it will work getting Guy to touch the rights to the show ... I think he's too busy to appreciate what it takes to own the website, and what he could/should/would do with it. But, from the couple of shows I have heard in the 90's, things were vastly softer and less "on it", or as exploratory and off the wall as the earlier shows were. Playing bootlegs in a top FM station might be an issue, that Guy has not told us about, but I doubt that 30 years later it is an issue. I could be VERY wrong! But Guy was hardly the only one doing it! There could be other un-savory moments, but all in all, I don't think that his comic point of view was that bad, or any worse than a Richard Pryor, Redd Foxx or anyone else around the time. I thought it was more surrealistic and not quite as TV-Soap-PrimeCrap defined. It was more intelligent and more artistic, if not more literary!

I do not feel that I should grab the ownership of these as they are not mine to own and I do not wish to have yet one more thing that might create more friction. But it is his choice, and chance to come out of the woodwork, if we can put it that way, for a new age, time and place. The blog is good, but not enough ... it's missing the music!

Edited by moshkito - December 23 2016 at 19:27
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 24>