Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Get The Word Out
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Space Pirate Radio

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 23>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Witchinghrsmagik View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Witchinghrsmagik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2014 at 02:47
I have been for yrs now looking for something/somewhere of substance for SPR. Finally found you all. For me Guy is one of a kind. I looked forward to The witching hours on Sun nights. I had a very intense emotionally draining job. Guy gave my mind a time and chance to recharge, imagine and to just listen and be. It was my joy and therapy. I want to thank those who've posted some of Guys playlist so I can somewhat TRY to recreate. But sadly while the music was incredible it was Guys bits, movie dialog, my favorite I think was from the movie the haunting. So dazzling you need sunglasses, or something close to that. My dream for the perfect old age home, Pink Floyd DVDs, & SPR shows on audio and good medications, absolute bliss.
Thank you Guy! And thank you to those who input to this site.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2014 at 13:55
Hi,

Hiyas Witchin ... I wonder if the movie you are mentioning is the one Ray Milland ... and I think it was called "The Uninvited". But there were also others, like "Forbidden Planet", and "X, the Unknown" (never seen it that I know, btw!!!) and I have no idea which a couple of other films are ... the hatfield/mccoy style of gunfight that went on non-stop for so many minutes that makes you think it was Sam Peckinpah's unknown film of some sort!!!! I still hear that one, and I think it was the sound of plates, glasses and windows and other things getting smashed that really made that effect work so well.

There still is, NOT, a single radio show out there comes close!

Or worse ... I have not found in 30 years, anyone that can mix music so well and blend it right. Every "radio" person out there has no ears for music and can only segue to another hit song.

Sadly, or happily, depending how one looks at it, life goes on. But as is usually the case ... some good things will be gone, dead and wasted! And I don't mean stoned!

Edited by moshkito - December 23 2016 at 19:29
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Witchinghrsmagik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2014 at 19:07
There was maybe 10 yrs ago a radio DJ named Chris Cohen I believe. But that station went off air. Not SPR but came close
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Witchinghrsmagik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2014 at 19:07
PS it was a SB radio station
slolibraryguy View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slolibraryguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2014 at 00:40
I too was a fan of SPR. I was living in Thousand Oaks listening to KTYD every night from midnight till I fell asleep. My Sunday nights were not complete without listening to Guy. That was back in 1981 through 1986.

And everyone I told about this experience had no idea of what I was talking about.

That radio show, and that style of music has effected nearly every part of who I am. Listening to that show was like having a really (really) long conversation with a really close friend.

The music was superb, the comedy was funny (as odd as it was), and the atmosphere was when and where it needed and should have been.

I also would like to add that I now live in SLO, and in 2000 was listening to our local station (can't remember if it was KCPR or KCBX) but there on the radio was Guy. I just had to call him and thank him for all the hours he spent sharing his creative influence. It was a great shared conversation. Thank you Guy.

I currently listed to streams like Radio IO Ambient (Forrest) and have followed him through the years as the Musical Star Stream jockey, but there isn't anything that can replace Guy Guden.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2014 at 19:25
Originally posted by slolibraryguy slolibraryguy wrote:

I currently listed to streams like Radio IO Ambient (Forrest) and have followed him through the years as the Musical Star Stream jockey, but there isn't anything that can replace Guy Guden.

I don't think that it is possible to have another "Guy" on the air. I think he might have written off radio for good, even though the streaming possibility would make it easier, although it would probably kill his ability to use movies, tv, and other things over the air, as it would likely get criticized and bring unnecessary and unwanted comments.

His comedy would still work, but some of his more subtle commentary would likely have to be curb'd I bet, but I think he is clever enough to hide it better. He's not a better writer today than he was then, but he is clever. I do think that what he might miss the most from any radio station is the large collection of sound effects, which made up the bulk of the backgrounds for his skits. We need more philosophy bowling! And a few more Moliere's!

Edited by moshkito - December 23 2016 at 19:31
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Guy Guden View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guy Guden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2014 at 23:32
(Suddenly a dark figure enters the room.)

"Hello Everybody!" he says. 

(A silence descends upon the room.)

Someone quietly murmurs, "I think maybe that's Thomas Pynchon."
Blobfish View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blobfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2014 at 01:18
Hello Mr. Guy,
Care for some Dorito Grey Pynchon?

Do Miss hearing a record in its entirety for the first time on live radio,
'El Rio Sin Fin' por Pink Floyd, sobre el Espacio Pirate Radio'.

D' Scungi 

Edited by Blobfish - November 14 2014 at 01:53
"Everyone has a time machine. The ones that take you back are memories; and the ones that take you forward are dreams."   H.G. Wells
Guy Guden View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guy Guden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2014 at 02:18
The second punchline to my original entry is as follows:

"No," says another.  "Pynchon is taller."

The Elephant ( Talk ) in the Room...

Thank you DJ Scungilli for your good thoughts.  You have sailed the Seas for so long.  I appreciate the kind
feelings and artistic support from a true artist in himself.

As for SPACE PIRATE RADIO, it is gratifying to see so many who appreciated the trips we shared.  As a Fan Myself, I humbly say I have heard every show ever broadcast.  And I am very pleased with the journey.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2014 at 13:48
Originally posted by Guy Guden Guy Guden wrote:

As for SPACE PIRATE RADIO, it is gratifying to see so many who appreciated the trips we shared.  As a Fan Myself, I humbly say I have heard every show ever broadcast.  And I am very pleased with the journey.

Yeah, but more excursions into philosophy bowling, into Chef Bruno's new accordions, or St Guido's adventures, or Oscar B. Chow giving us a new adventure, or a new flag to plant in a new country, is always fun and neat and wanted! With comedy these days so cheap and weak, hearing something different would be nice ... but you know, it looks like that at the end of the road we're all getting old and walking away as the discreet charm of the bourgeoisie!

I guess I value the phantom of liberty a little more, and many of these shows are just that for me! 

With care, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone and hopefully we will all make it to another January 27th and ... dream again! 

I think I need to read some Pynchon! Just finished reading "Stranger in a Strangeland" ... and the things I missed in those early days because my English was so bad, was not as much fun! Reading them today is awesome! I also "recommend" "The Trip", the film about Ken Kesey. Very nice, and there are some lines in the end that really splash the whole thing ... and makes things like Guy's shows even more special. 
www.pedrosena.com
Guy Guden View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guy Guden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2014 at 04:38
Yes, it's true.  Death and Disease can put a serious Dent in one's social life and creative output.  But we must Carry On, Regardless.  Keeping up Enthusiasm is like going to the gym, but with different odors.

SPACE PIRATE RADIO is rather in a high gear shift these days, which is refreshing.  Those who wish to seek, can find bits of info on my blog, The Melting Watchtowre at guyguden.blogspot.com.  Years 2010, 2011, & 2012 have many entries on the basics of the show.  New information pops up as well as forthcoming factoids.

Otherwise, I have attempted bits of visual surrealism and wordplay that would have been interpreted in an audio experience on the show.

Might I also mention that SPACE PIRATE RADIO ephemera appears on two Twitter accounts, @guyguden & @greenneonmotel .

I think if Certain Death can be avoided at all costs...2015 will be a good year for New Horizons in Sight and Sound. 

Stay Well.  Stay Bunuel.  Or Sun Welles.  As Burt Lancaster said in Bill Forsyth's LOCAL HERO:

"We can do good things here."
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 12:49

Hi,

Very nice pair of entries on your blog ... they brought back a lot of memories from Altair 4.

Not sure that today's stuff is much easier to edit and play with ... heck, I have 4 computers and a laptop, a mixer, and last year bought me a nice $400 dollar Stanton turntable, because the old Pioneer you probably remember finally hit the skids! Oh, the speakers hit the skids again, and JaMac in Portland re-coned them (2nd time!!!) and I immediately blasted "Deadwing" as soon as I got the speakers back. I asked him about them and the quality, and he said that those are still massively great and the magnets alone are worth the price! So you know the Heil's are still alive! AND I have a turntable! That Stanton cartridge that cost over $200 dollars then, finally died a couple of years ago!

I can mix, together, microphone, turntable, midi-keyboard (any software), piano, mp3, all at the same time right now ... so much so that I felt intimidated thinking that I would be copying you ... well, no one can copy Guy, so that's that! And I can record the output from the stuff to yet another computer, or my laptop! This might be fun ... you play it all together ... and add even more to the confusion ... and you end up with revolution missing a number!

All in all, the mixing side of things is the easiest part of it all these days, because you can go back if you want and add more ... unlike tape, in general, when you add something else to the elements in digital, it does not add noise ... which allows for more edits and such ... however, for example, it would make it harder to hear things inside of things as you once did with Daevid Allen's Good Morning. Doing that live would be harder, but just like your work THEN, it's really about the cleverness of it all, and the person behind it, and not the equipment. I look at the equipment as just another toy!

Digital might make it more difficult to create some "audio alchemy", but I think that it would, instead, create something else ... you can always get a DAW, to change the piece of music to go backwards, and you can do the whole piece and see the results ... how trendy that might have been 45 years ago, hey? Today, you play that with the highway sounds, and they will probably think you are some sort of musical genius ... this one "radio station" in Portland, does not have CD's ... it's all "computer" ... you turn on the DAW and start a beat and voila ... the only problem is ... you want to throw some serious spaghetti, mac and cheese and clam chowder at those folks ... boring is not even a good word for it!

Today's audience, as PA shows, is not exactly about the music. It's about what they "want" and what they "like" and as we all know, every media this and that is always ready to say something about anyone and everyone. Every album is always liked by some and hated by some, and in the end, all it does is create more "confusion" in this great ball of it already! Many of them are totally enamored with the idea that they are more important than the artists ever were. The artist is there to kiss their ass, because they are buying the music, and personally, I'm not sure that was what radio, tv, and everything was made for originally, but, yeah, it has become that, and i don't think that many folks see the difference ... they never heard anything like your show or any show that is 100% out there and not a compromise. Even the 365 crap, can only play 20 minutes and has to go back to a "song" that you know ... it's like, it's too far out!

Would I like to see SPR on? Yeah ... but I have seen the likes of Live 365 and other spots and they are a bunch of geeks, that would not know music from anything else in their lives, except their favorite songs, and dope ... just like the old days! But I really do not want the old days back ... it was very rough, for example that it took me 8 years to get an AA because of really bad English and the only connection I had to my culture were a lot of these foreign bands, and someone like Guy to help a bit here and there put things in better perspective. It might not even have been fun for him, for that matter ... but that's OK, but in the end, I think that we can look back, and agree that there was way more good, than anything else ... and we did have our laughs and then some ... !!!

Today, I fear the media folks that think they own the world, and that their christianity is  the law and that they are never wrong. At least, in those days, there was a very real "freedom" that was much more visible than today, where the real intent is hidden behind some "correctedness" that basically says that you can't have different folks out there, because it would mean your religion would not be as famous, or as rich! And we thought the Borgia's were all about something else!

www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2015 at 15:34
Hi,

And another birthday ... a couple of days late, but another birthday all the same!

Would you have believed it? 
www.pedrosena.com
Guy Guden View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guy Guden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2015 at 04:28
Thank you for mentioning it, Pedro.  41 Years Ago!  Quite mind blowing and yes, it seems very Unreal.
The audacity of Youth. :)  Great music, though.  The joy of getting Amon Duul 2's Vive La Trance before the release date.  An interesting beginning... and the rest, they say, is a hysterectomy.  *giggles*

Are you planning on seeing Magma in Portland and/or Seattle?
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2015 at 12:29
Originally posted by Guy Guden Guy Guden wrote:

Thank you for mentioning it, Pedro.  41 Years Ago!  Quite mind blowing and yes, it seems very Unreal.
The audacity of Youth. :)  Great music, though.  The joy of getting Amon Duul 2's Vive La Trance before the release date.  An interesting beginning... and the rest, they say, is a hysterectomy.  *giggles*

Are you planning on seeing Magma in Portland and/or Seattle?

Checking into it right now ... was not even aware of it ... but I will definitly be at the Portland show ... with whom, I do not know, yet! I would probably try Seattle otherwise, but the drive over there is too harsh for me and with 3 right eye surgeries, driving at night is hard for me. But, a show in Portland? My rants and raves must be getting around ... I never expected this, and only Tangerine Dream (88) and Alan Stivell (87 I think) have been here! Progressive or different here is non-existant as this is a large small town that only knows top ten, and the Portland "hip" folks are all into the "punk/grunge" thing hardcore -- and the jazz scene is only into traditional and they don't even know who Keith Jarrett is ... ohhh Kenny G will be in town nexxt month I think I saw ... I'm sure the Portland Housewives Club will be there with their utensils!

(Ed) Got tickets for April 4th in Portland at the Alladin. Reasonable venue, though it is showing its age a little and soooooooo Portland like!

Thx

Edited by moshkito - January 31 2015 at 11:25
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2015 at 13:49

Hi,

Today
While at work
I read the news
oh boy
silence
nada
quiet
tear
shock
just sad
a slight uneasy
feeling
of unrest
inner quiet
inner something
inner
feeling
alone
not always lonely
going somewhere
that we don't know
can't imagine
empty inside
thoughts all over
can't turn off
the internal dialogue
but today
I hear one thing
that was once called
Space Pirate Radio
and it did
something
that no one ever has done
before
and it was neat
but it taught me
something
about ability
poetry
appreciation
on the air
was
a wise man in your heart
and he was inside a radio on the air
inside of another radio
also on the air
and hearing that song
echo in the distance
far away from us all
became a theme
of sorts
for me
because one guy
had the ability
to really see
what it all was about
and then sing it
the wise man
in your heart
was not
far away at all
it just seemed that way
he spoke
serenely
sang quietly
to a soft beat
and that Guy
let it shine
in what
really
was one of the great
compliments
artistically
to another artist

Like any dream
no one that did not
hear that
on that particular night
will never
hear it
one of the greatest
moments of all
in music
and its art
the perfect theater
space
through the air
into the night
a wise man
was in our hearts
for a long time
yeah
I will miss him
and his friends
the photographs
the music
the glissando
to the stars
my very own soundtrack
you have lifted
some spirits
higher than you know
magick brother
and
the mystic sister
we will forever
live
love
hear
attune
to the glissando
of our hearts
and its wise words
amidst the quiet
beat of your hearts

(Daevid and Gong pictures)

(c) Pedro Sena 03/13/2015 Published at PA with permission

Edited by moshkito - March 13 2015 at 14:13
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2015 at 10:27

Hi,

As I get closer to the show tomorrow night at the Alladin -- I still have an extra ticket for the Ghost of Christmas past since I have no one to go with ... I guess I'm all alone in my appreciation of MAGMA (here at home!), except for the folks that I can meet at the door.

But I remember when I got the Live Double album from you ... and what a thrill it was to listen to it. For me, it was also a "connection" to the classical music I knew so well, even if that was not the intent of this music at all!

It's specially mind blowing that this was even played in the air, as much as you did play them ... it brings a tear to the eyes. But I will sit and enjoy the show by myself and cry to some of the prettiest vocal things ever done in music, tomorrow night! And I remember SF 1999, when we all gave them a standing ovation and then some! I don't think that Christian thought it was going down so well, until he saw the hall filled up!

Magic ... pure magic!

Edited by moshkito - April 03 2015 at 10:34
www.pedrosena.com
Guy Guden View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guy Guden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2015 at 18:08
That was a very nice Sunday night/Monday morning.  Like SPACE PIRATE RADIO airtime, but in the flesh.  Magma were superb.  Hanging with Giorgio G. and Mike Howlett backstage before going in to congratulate Christian and Stella.  And all this coming after your introduction to Porcupine Tree.  Steve and Richard wouldn't let you photograph them.  Not knowing what they sounded like, I'm sure you felt they were a bunch of arrogant punks.  But I think the performance made up for the snub ( Even with Barbieri's keyboards not operating at full capacity ).  You became a fan from that moment on.

But Magma even topped that classic PT selection.  The concert motivated me to get SPACE PIRATE RADIO back on the air after its most recent hiatus.  Enjoy your Portland show and give full report.  At least you get a chair. Smile
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2015 at 14:41
Hi,

I'm re-wording a couple of lines on it ... you're absolutely right ... about it inspiring and then some ... and yeah ... I hope to hear you one more time, before either of us leaves this earth!
www.pedrosena.com
deadcrow View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deadcrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2015 at 16:14
WOW!!!!  I had searched off and on for many years for SPR, and until now had never found anything.  I am from Oxnard, and had listened to many a show through most of its time on the air.  I even used to have many recordings of it, but those all degraded from over use and became screechy many many years ago.

And then, I find that just recently, the man himself came out of the wood work and has graced this forum with his presence.  Welcome Welcome Welcome!!!

Now I gleefully await either archives to listen to, or new content to stream on the interwebs.

If you don't mind, I think in the weeks to come I will compile some of the history laden comments found in this forum, and create the long missing Wikipedia article for SPR.  It really needs one.  For those many former listeners and others who, founded or not, feel it doesn't exist if it doesn't have a Wikipedia article.  ;)

Again. I am so glad to have found not just a forum for the SPR fans, but the man (and his rent payer. etc etc.) themselves!!! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 23>