Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Get The Word Out
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Space Pirate Radio

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 23>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Guy Guden View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guy Guden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2015 at 05:17
^
Thank you deadcrow for the kind words.  I am very happy you listened to and enjoyed SPACE PIRATE RADIO.

Please don't even think of compiling a Wikipedia bio from these comments.  I would only have to correct it. Wink
I came out of the woodwork in many ways to cheerfully confront some of the misinformation that has appeared here. Wink Wink If you need any basic info on the show, you can find it on my Melting Watchtowre blog at guyguden.blogspot.com.  A complete biography is in the works.

Although sometimes it appears that one is doing a balancing act.  That of a public person who loves to do creative things, juggling with a private person who actually likes being low-key and ( can you believe it? )modest.  A challenge, like so many things in life.  But I'm easy to reach, if there are any questions.  About the show.  About the music.  About the work at hand. 

Otherwise, I'd hate to say, like a lead singer of Jefferson Airplane:  "I'm Balin." Big smile   *giggles*

Thanks again
Blobfish View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blobfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2015 at 18:36
A package was found on my mixing board today when I came home.
 Three SPR shows of 2000.

Presently enjoying July.

Grazie mille G'tre mio caro amico,
DJ Scungilli

"Everyone has a time machine. The ones that take you back are memories; and the ones that take you forward are dreams."   H.G. Wells
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2015 at 12:27
Hi,

Was just listening to one Christmas show you did ... and how nice it was ... sad that no one else can hear these things ... you with the balloons ... next!!!

Merry Christmas and all that good stuff ... for a long dead dog ... I mean show!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2016 at 09:49
Hi,

On a Sunday night ... this January 24th ... I will light a candle at midnight, and open a bottle of Blue Nun ... and remember ...

... remember ....
... remember ....

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Guy Guden View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guy Guden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2016 at 05:57
Thanks Pedro for the Blue Nun toast of SPACE PIRATE RADIO and the Christmas show memories too.

If you toasted Sunday the 24th, you were celebrating early.  The actual anniversary was the 27th.  Saturday
January 26th at Midnight, Sunday morning January 27th for historians.  The Sunday night/Monday morning
timeslot came later.

Myself and the lady celebrated SPACE PIRATE RADIO's 42nd Anniversary by attending the UK production
of George Orwell's 1984, brilliantly interpreted by author/directors Robert Icke and Duncan Macmillan at The
Broad Stage in Santa Monica.  More on the day appears on THE MELTING WATCHTOWRE blog:  [email protected]

It was an inspiring evening of theatre, like seeing PINK FLOYD-THE WALL at the Los Angeles Sports Arena, or
the 1970 production of MARAT/SADE I was lucky to be in.  Or dare I say, VOID IN WISCONSIN, NOTHING IS
SACRED and CASANOVA'S LIPS in Santa Barbara.

Great work by others has always inspired me to do something a bit above and beyond the expected.  I remember the brand new release of CAN's LANDED helped me finish the script of CASANOVA'S LIPS.

And without all the great music we talk about here... where would SPACE PIRATE RADIO have been?

Thanks everybody...
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2016 at 12:12

Originally posted by Guy Guden Guy Guden wrote:

Thanks Pedro for the Blue Nun toast of SPACE PIRATE RADIO and the Christmas show memories too.

Thanks everybody...

Heck, I can easily tell you that SPR was my 1984! As was a lot of the music. But you already knew that! 

Almost everything I have is of the Sunday night stuff, right after JC and his show. you know what's funny? All of a sudden I want to get Bitches Brew, or that Esther album, or that Return to Forever album ... simply because of the bit before your show.

I put on the show that had those two hours of your bits back to back that I had put together, and gracious ... you're right ... that was too much, but it was fun to listen to! And at 65 1/2, I still cracked up to a lot of that stuff.

My speakers, if you remember the AMT's ... just had them "re-coned" again, and they are still blasting away ... a place here in Portland "re-coned" them in 1985 and then did it again a couple of years ago. I had fun blasting the opening of "Deadwing" for my roomate, the day after I had them fixed.

Wouldn't you know it ... just like magic ... I walk into 7/11 to get a cup of wake up juice (decaf with a skinny expresso) and ... Ventura Highway in the sunshine ... MY SONG! Yeah ... made my day! Another trip to Moby Disk, or a bookstore ... or ... using a coat hanger as the gas pedal ... adventures, indeed!

Edited by moshkito - February 17 2016 at 10:05
www.pedrosena.com
Guy Guden View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guy Guden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2016 at 03:38
hello everybody,
Just to let you know, that though I regularly check into here as often as I can, time permitting.  And that I
especially enjoy contributing to threads like WHAT ARE YOU LISTENING TO NOW?, READ ANY GOOD BOOKS
LATELY?  and various discussions and polls... my main source of SPACE PIRATE RADIO information seems
to be at Twitter; singular articles and illustrations on THE MELTING WATCHTOWRE at guyguden.BlogSpot.com
and at Facebook (which I held back from for the longest amount of time, but consented to when I found so
many people who don't use the Twit Hair).

I still hope to come back here and answer to some of the outrageous, one sided posts from eons past.  Although sometimes it doesn't seem worth the effort, an opinion that i know to be unexplained or an outright
fabrication, bothers me when it remains singular and seemingly unchallenged and definitive.  *giggles*

these are desperate times and desperate measures, etc. etc. etc.

best of the Winter Solstice to you all (or U-Haul... whichever Moves You).  cheers!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2016 at 11:27

I still hope to come back here and answer to some of the outrageous, one sided posts from eons past.  

Does an artist have to explain himself?

Let me ask Picasso, or Bunuel ... ohhh that bar of soap ... and the rake?

these are desperate times and desperate measures, etc. etc. etc.

best of the Winter Solstice to you all (or U-Haul... whichever Moves You).  cheers!

Times, places ... desperate ... yeah, now that I am on SS, means no extra expenses to make use of, but all in all, it's OK. Health is alright with some issues here and there, which would appear normal for a 66 year old, otherwise ... quite happy. Not really "desperate" unless we're talking about more dreams, visions, ideas and hopes for the overly active young mind? I save those for my writing.

The best to you and family and of course New Year.

I will be playing the Christmas show you did on prime time ... "you with the balloons ... NEXT! ... " and laugh one more time, and absolutely love it. A pat on the back ... well done, my friend ... well done!

BTW, I caught Anderson, Wakeman and Rabin here, and it was a fine show, and yeah, Rick is very good and then some, and Anderson was doing really well all night. Plenty of energy. Reminds me of the days at Micheltorena ... and the "Yes Album" ... goodness! How time has sped through since!

Edited by moshkito - December 25 2016 at 07:05
www.pedrosena.com
Guy Guden View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guy Guden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2016 at 04:03
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

I will be playing the Christmas show you did on prime time ... "you with the balloons ... NEXT! ... " and laugh one more time, and absolutely love it. A pat on the back ... well done, my friend ... well done!

thank you kindly, Pedro.  we had a lot of laughs and cosmic giggles during that time.  how much easier it was then to be on each other's wavelengths.  hoping for a magickal, positive and productive 2017.
best to you...
Nada One View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nada One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2017 at 01:59

It's 2017 and I feel like Rumpelstiltskin. I meant to check back here much earlier but to quote Gandalf:

“I was –eh… delayed”.

I've been out so long I missed the grand entrance!  I have some catching up to do with the blog as well. All good things to look forward to.

Edited by Nada One - February 17 2022 at 22:45
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2017 at 14:16
Hi,

Let me see ... one ... two ... three ... four ... five ... six ... seven ... eight ... nine ... ten ... I'm trying to see if I can get far enough to figure out which birthday it will be Thursday Night/Friday Morning!

I shall be up all night for this one, playing nothing but ... many shows!

Happy Birthday SPR, you ol' tripping sun!
www.pedrosena.com
Guy Guden View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guy Guden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2017 at 18:55
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Let me see ... one ... two ... three ... four ... five ... six ... seven ... eight ... nine ... ten ... I'm trying to see if I can get far enough to figure out which birthday it will be Thursday Night/Friday Morning!

I shall be up all night for this one, playing nothing but ... many shows!

Happy Birthday SPR, you ol' tripping sun!

Thank you, Pedro.  Today would make it the 43rd anniversary of SPACE PIRATE RADIO.

Celebrated by spending two nights with Stick Men in Studio City.  Our seats were on stage left with Tony and Pat.  You couldn't get closer.  And finally got to meet Markus Reuter.  Very nice folks.  Great shows.

And now to prepare for Jean-Michel Jarre...

43 years?  Feels like only 45.  Cheers!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2017 at 10:06

Thank you, Pedro.  Today would make it the 43rd anniversary of SPACE PIRATE RADIO.
And now to prepare for Jean-Michel Jarre...

I am entertaining the thought of making the trip to Berkeley and catch the show there, but will have to make this decision quickly, as I have a feeling the tickets will fly to Katmandu or Siberia real quick and that will be that.

The only logistic is driving down or flying and rent a car, though I am not a great fan of driving in that area at all, though I would not have to cross the bridge which is a nice thing. I could fly to Oakland and back easily enough from PDX.

Hope to see you there, or around sometime ... one last handshake before time says goodbye ... to us all ... all that is left is a recording of this or that for me ... and some old memories. 

Edited by moshkito - February 01 2017 at 07:57
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2017 at 08:42
Hi,

GG has not posted in his blog for sometime, and hopefully all is well with him and family. Here's wishing for another happy birthday upcoming soon.

Life ... is what we make of it!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2019 at 20:09
Hi,

Thank you DamoXt7942 for having unlocked this thread ... much appreciated.
www.pedrosena.com
Guy Guden View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guy Guden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2019 at 15:24
hello, everybody... it's been awhile.

just wanted to let those who might be interested know, that my old radio program SPACE PIRATE RADIO is broadcasting again, live online on Twitch. 

for those unaware about the show, SPACE PIRATE RADIO was the first all import progressive, electronic, experimental freeform music and comedy radio program broadcast on a commercial radio station.  it had the honour of introducing an incredible amount of artists to U.S. audiences.  and despite the changing nature of the business and formats of commercial rock n roll FM radio, the show stayed true to its presentation of sound and music without restrictions.  enough to keep it alive on radio from 1973 (when I signed the deal at KTYD Santa Barbara, California ) to its final radio home in 2002.

so to make a long story longer... fans of the show and hopefully new ears of curiosity can find the show broadcasting here  https://twitch.tv/guygudenspacepirateradio">https://twitch.tv/guygudenspacepirateradio  but, a twist here, folks.  for some reason this link doesn't work from this location.  you can connect to it on my Twitter account.  if it is worth your time, all roads lead to Rome (in other words, you can find a way in to Twitch, join, Follow the show and Tune In)

shows come on in the classic time spot of Sunday night at Midnight/Monday morning Pacific Standard Time.
other pop up shows happen like a covert rave... and I keep everyone informed on my Twitter account @guyguden

I would appreciate all those interested to go to Twitch, start an account and Follow the show.  it's all free.  no salesman will call.  it's in the Music and Performing Arts category, so knowledge of Fallout, Assassin's Creed or Grand Theft Otto Preminger is not a requirement (well, maybe the last one)  *giggles*

would love to have you on board...  thank you.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2019 at 07:02
Hi,

Got my feet wet these past two weeks ... not able to make it through all 6 hours the first time, but this last time I made it, barely ... though I had to go in and out of bed all the way through Tuesday!

I am impressed ... considering that what I have is before 1982, and only a bit from here and there that I got from Paul some eons ago on a cassette kind of sampler of the latest stuff ... the show has continued to be interesting and not give in to the commercial touches that I remember being forced on you at the start.

It was nice to hear a few comedy bits ... well, we didn't get HOMER, but he is on sabbatical studying his next adventure! But all in all, it was cool to actually hear a couple of things from the old days, mixed in with new things, that even I have not kept up with ... and a couple of things that I could not even remember .. CAN anyone? ... but all in all, it was fun and exciting, even to remember a few bits and pieces from the past.

On discussing the show on another location, the comment was that there would be a need for you to provide a listing so folks would know what things are, and maybe even go after them ... I suppose that it could be said that the idea of the whole thing is also to make sure that the artists benefit from the show ... so his comment makes sense, and although I like the "trip" side of things and not knowing what they are/were, yeah, over the years, I still have a lot of bits and pieces on the old shows that I can not identify at all ... and I would have gotten the CD's, which I have acquired for most of the stuff on the shows I have.

So, there is a good side there ... I don't think we need to get detailed here, maybe just a list of the artists and leave it at that ... to help people find/appreciate that same music at home. HOWEVER, today there is a wider/larger ability to record the show and enjoy it all the same ... although the chat won't help in the recording of the music ... but for me, that is enough to enjoy the continuity of the show ... but not knowing some of the stuff ... yeah, I like Guy's show more than a lot of music, but I would like to welcome the ability to endorse the artists that are featured and then some.

Hopefully some more folks will show up and get a good/solid listen, so they can find out what this whole thing is about ... and I have not yet posted on the "Prog Radio" thread, because compared to many of those shows, this one does not fit ... the majority of things listed over there are not "Progressive" for my tastes, in that they are so conventional and metric (tops) oriented design and presentation, possibly because that is all those folks have ever heard and they can not conceive of a stream of consciousness that your show is ... something that I would even say ... is way too literate for many listeners. 

Some Requests: 
1. Philosophy Bowling!
2. Homer!

I realize that some of the music you used to play is probably way too much "rock" for the style and flow of your show these days, but I miss some of the finest bits you ever did ... like talking about the sodas and getting your shorts clean (Guru Guru behind it -- and now there is a better version on the live album release ... longer, too!), and a myriad of other things you did here and there ... but all in all ... son of a gun ... there still isn't anything out there half as good!

Edited by moshkito - August 16 2019 at 13:54
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2019 at 08:54
Hi,

For many folks that do not "know" the show, here is a small primer ... 

1. "Progressive" ... there is no "radio show" out there, that is more progressive and experimental than this one. The combinations and works that Guy puts together, along with some moments from his early years, are really neat and special ... and you won't find that anywhere else.

2. "Ambient" There is a side of the show that might make you think of "ambient" something or other. In general, that is the portion that glues the other parts of the show. In the early days, a lot of this was handled by Klaus Schulze, and many others underneath, but basically each portion had their own music, and calling it "ambient" is a bit weird, because most "ambient" stuff is not "active" at all ... it just keeps repeating forever and has the personality of a stone in a cemetery!

3. When it comes to "progressive", the show still has the largest list of bands ... non-stop ... and it is something that a lot of folks enjoy (specially many of us from the old days), but there are also some new folks that are totally impressed with the presentation. 

4. In those days, Guy did not list the albums/bands, until the end of the show ... nowadays, this is not necessary, as there is a LIVE CHAT the whole time and all of us listeners are on it, and between us and occasionally Guy, we learn who/what things are. Thus, the need for a "conventional" show is not in question whatsoever, and you can enjoy the continuation of the music and work.

5. If you come to listen to this show, from a top ten perspective, you likely will not enjoy it ... but you will be missing a lot of gems in between the ticks of the clock! But, the idea is for you to be prepared (if it's possible to say that!) to listen to ... something else.

6. Remember that PIRATE RADIO, when it came around (go ahead ... read some Wiki!), was playing stuff that was not found on the air in England, and they were all new bands, with new material ... so, think about this show as exactly the same thing ... a lot of the things you will hear are way out there, and you won't know what it is (you can ask on chat!) ... and the best part of the show? ... it doesn't stop ... just keeps on bringing out the music and more music ... 

7. This is AN EXPERIENCE. A TRIP if you will ... and if you come expecting a "radio show", you will be disappointed. This is meant to be lived through ... and enjoyed likewise.

The regular night is Sunday Night into Monday Morning, starting at midnight (Pacific Coast time!) ... see if you can stop by and enjoy this ... I think you will be surprised ... but remember, that you are listening to one of the biggest "progressive" giants in the history of "progressive" radio ... in terms of how much music he brought to the show, and presented to so many folks ... that he is capable of still doing this is a miracle for many of us ... who just can't get enough!

Edited by moshkito - August 25 2019 at 08:57
www.pedrosena.com
Guy Guden View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guy Guden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2019 at 18:19
hello, everybody...
    for some reason, I find I am unable to write anything on other subjects, or post a new topic...
    I am allowed to get a test message here on my SPACE PIRATE RADIO page, so I will limit my thoughts to 
    this corner for the time being.  if anyone has knowledge why this happens on my glowing cathode, I
    would appreciate it...

anyway, happy to say that my little creation, GUY GUDEN'S SPACE PIRATE RADIO has been having a 
    great time over on Twitch TV.  30 shows have already been broadcast.  46 years old and beaming in
    the classic time zone of 12 Midnight Pacific, Sunday night, Monday morning.  but now also in the same
    slot Friday night, Saturday morning, 12 Midnight Pacific.  this makes it a little easier for those who sleep
    in.  

of course, now with the power of the immer net wireless thing, SPACE PIRATE RADIO is truly global.
    like the Strawberry Shortwave I always envisioned the show to be... I'm sipping on my glass of Rodan
    Light White Wine in darkness, while my tuned in friends in Japan are 16 hours ahead of the day.  it 
    makes me very happy to have friends listening in Spain, Italy, Germany and the U.K.  also talking in 
    chat with other friends listening in Detroit, Pittsburgh, San Francisco, Portland, Santa Barbara & Austin.

so let me invite the curious to tune in this Friday and Sunday on Twitch TV.  it's all free, folks... join, 
    Follow & tune in.  it's a trip.  thank you...

http://twitch.tv/guygudenspacepirateradio

https://twitch.tv/guygudenspacepirateradio
Guy Guden View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guy Guden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2019 at 18:21
tonight... Guy Guden's SPACE PIRATE RADIO at 12 PM Midnight Pacific on Twitch TV.  broadcast number
    46 of Year 46.  zehr kosmmiche!
https://twitch.tv/guygudenspacepirateradio
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 23>