Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPresent, Univers Zero, Vortex -- disappointing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which album least lived up to your expectations?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
1 [16.67%]
1 [16.67%]
1 [16.67%]
1 [16.67%]
1 [16.67%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [16.67%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Present, Univers Zero, Vortex -- disappointing
    Posted: May 05 2008 at 21:58
Foregoing any anxiety over riding on the coattails of others, the success of Cacho's Genesis' and Yes' "most disappointing albums" threads led to this. 

If rock needn't be innovative to be considered Progressive Rock, then screw originality. ;)

'Twas originally just to be about the Belgian bands UZ and Present, but I opted to throw Vortex into the whirlpool.  The reason being simply that I discovered Vortex around the same time as UZ, and Present a little later.

I'm only referring to studio albums here... This is about the album that didn't live up to your expectations, maybe it's the only album you heard of that band... That's fine.  Maybe it's where the band changed direction.  Maybe it's the album where you think the band sold its soul to commercial rock n' roll or the teeny-bop pop music scene. Darn those sell-out albums!  From Rock in Opposition to pablum pop -- sad  I know I steer clear of Univers Zero's and Present's Spice Girls phase.  It's not about what you think is the worst album per se, of course it might well be the the one you consider worst, maybe just the one that you had the highest expectations of but the album did not live up to what you were hoping for.

UNIVERS ZERO Albums (8)

Univers Zero (1313)
(20 ratings)

Heresie
(43 ratings)

Ceux Du Dehors
(25 ratings)

Uzed
(15 ratings)

Heatwave
(21 ratings)

The Hard Quest
(11 ratings)

Rhythmix
(10 ratings)

Implosion
(15 ratings)

PRESENT Albums (6)

Triskaidekaphobie
(11 ratings)

Le Poison Qui Rend Fou
(9 ratings)

C.O.D. Performance
(4 ratings)

Certitudes
(8 ratings)

No 6
(13 ratings)

High Infidelity
(10 ratings)

< ="text/" ="http://tags.expo9.exponential.com/tags/Progarchivescom/ROW/tags.js">

VORTEX Albums (2)

Vortex
(7 ratings)

Les Cycles De Thanatos
(8 ratings)

rileydog22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2008 at 22:01
I haven't really strayed from any of these bands' "glory periods," but I've yet to be disappointed by any album I've heard by any of theres guys.  

Weston View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2008 at 22:06
I can't vote because I only have Implosion - and I LOVE it.  Not sure how it can not live up to expectations, unless by being a little more accessible than the clips I've heard from the other UZ albums. I expect to dip into the backlog as soon as budget allows

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2008 at 22:27
Weston, I like every UZ album I know.  Present is excellent and worth checking out too.

Incidentally, I almost entitled this "biggest sell-out." :)

I haven't been disappointed with any Present, UZ, or Vortex albums, and I have almost all of the studio ones, but we're bound to find someone who has been disappointed.  '80s music doesn't get a lot of respect from quite a few people here, and certainly UZ is such a big name that many of those not into avant generally might have risked it based on glowing reviews.

I know at least one forum member here who didn't get the big deal with Vortex.

Thought this might be a rather interesting or strange companion piece to Cacho's most disappointing Genesis and Yes polls.
horsewithteeth11 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2008 at 22:33
I've only heard UZ unfortunately, but I can honestly say I didn't dislike any of their work. Then again I need to hear it more.
VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2008 at 22:46
Where's the none option?

Now if you'd stuck in Art Zoyd's Nosferatu...

I've yet to hear '80s UZ or Present, so it's hard for me to vote on this.  I've heard everything by Vortex too and none of them have disappointed me.

However, Eider Stellaire's second album did disappoint me, but that's not on the list eirher.
laplace View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2008 at 22:51
I haven't really liked the last three UZ albums.

Lapirella tasted 1313 and declared, "Why, this is far too sour!" Then, she nibbled on Implosion and remarked that it seemed far too sweet. But when she came to sample UZed, her verdict was that it was *just right*.

Or something ;P ze point being zat UZ had something good going in the late '80s and I listen to that side of them much more than Heresie.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2008 at 23:23
James: opted not to have a "none" option this time, or an "all" option, though that would usually be more my style.  People can always say so in posts if they wish.  I am now regretting that I didn't include a "nun" option, however.  I certainly did consider adding Art Zoyd, too many albums, though (all studio albums or none for my purposes).  Listening to Eider Stellaire I in honour of your mention (awesome album), which interrupts a Mekanik Kommandoh session. 

Laplace, UZed is just right.

Gratuitous ZardoZ quote (a film with Connery playing an exterminator named Zed in a red diaper)

"We've all been uzed."
"And re-uzed."
"And abuzed!"
And amuzed."

Actually, I wouldn't say i was disappointed, but the first album I heard of Univers Zero was Heresie, and I was a little underwhelmed (unlike with my first Present album -- double album in fact -- Triskaidekaphobie/ Le Poison Qui Rend Fou and my first Vortex album, Les Cycles de Thanatos).  I think I got Vortex's and UZ's at the same time, and Vortex held my interest more.  I did like UZ's though.

Edited by Logan - May 05 2008 at 23:36
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2008 at 23:33
Try Shub-Niggurath's Les Morts Vont Vite, it'll blow your mind!

I reviewed a Vortex album didn't I?  I'm sure I did.  It's just I cannot remember the music... I think I'll to have spin them again.

Have you heard Eider Stellaire's second yet?  Their best album in my opinion is their unreleased one, which actually is the most Zeuhl one.

This is the most successful poll ever, nobody has voted. LOL

Edited by James - May 05 2008 at 23:57
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2008 at 23:52
I love Shub-Niggurath's Les Morts Vont Vite.  One of my favourite albums, and strangely enough, I considered adding S-N to this poll (cause of the darkness).

I actually did a poll a few weeks ago that mentioned that album:  The only good thread is a mort thread.

I'm pretty sure we've talked about Vortex before, when you acquired the debut (or was that someone else)?

No, I never did get ES's second.  Heard some of it it though and liked what I heard.

I didn't really expect much in the way of voting, these are strong albums.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2008 at 23:56
I'm listening to Vortex's debut again and I know it'll sound odd to say this, but I reviewed this album and now it sounds completely unfamiliar to me!

It's brilliant as ever, but I don't remember any of it. LOL

Also, Les Morts Vont Vite and Triskaidekaphobie are two of the few album titles I always spell incorrectly. LOL
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2008 at 00:08
Why did Délicieuse Créature have to end?  It's bloody amazing.

By the way, if you haven't done so already, check out Volapük.

Question: what is the availability of Vortex on CD?

Edited by James - May 06 2008 at 00:13
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2008 at 00:17
Volpapuk, another one I considered for this poll,  interesting.  I lent "Where is Tamashii?" to a friend who moved away more than a year ago, and never got it back. :(  It's okay, I've borrowed Cds from him that I forgot to return too (now wish I made a copy). Polyglot has been top of my most wanted list for months, but, well, a lot of expenses over the last months.  I do have the first two albums.

EDIT: to respond to your edit: Les Cycles was issued by Triton in 2003 on CD. I don't know how available it is now, or if it's still in print.

Edited by Logan - May 06 2008 at 00:29
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2008 at 00:27
I love the Japanese lass' violin playing on Where is Tamishii? it has to be said, it breathes new life into the band.

The only one I have of theirs still to listen to is their live album Pukapok, which I have on CD somewhere.

Again, I will get the rest of their albums officially in the future, especially PolyglotLe Feu du Tigre is excellent too, mind you.

Edited by James - May 06 2008 at 00:28
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2008 at 06:40
I guess i'm the first to vote."The Hard Quest" came out 13 years after the previous record and for me it was disappointing.Still a good one mind you but my least favourite.The only one i haven't heard  is "Rhythmix" but the rest on the list i have oh except "C.O.D. Performance" which i don't know if i'd call an official PRESENT recording or not.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Pnoom! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2008 at 08:44
Far from the worst, but my expectations were ridiculously high for Ceux du Dehors since I had heard it was better than Heresie and I absolutely loved Heresie.  I liked it (still do), but not nearly as much as Heresie.

Least disappointing (aka most exceeded expectations)... definitely the two by Vortex.  Both amazing albums.  Also, Heatwave, which is way better than it gets credit for.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2008 at 09:03
I'm going to be a wee bit controversial... or maybe I'm not in retrospect... but I think Vortex's self-titled debut is  just a tiny bit better than Les Cycles de Thanatos, but then again, Hipopotalamus Negrus is just perfect in every way... but then so is Délicieuse Créature... it's a tough call!

I'll call them equal. LOL
Cesar Inca View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2008 at 09:14
Originally posted by James James wrote:

This is the most successful poll ever, nobody has voted. LOL

That's because the poll's question is a phallacy: it takes for granted that any of these bands is capable of creating a dissapointing recording. One must listen to each one of the aforesaid recordings without too many expectations... only expecting to be challenged, driven to emotional tension, even scared...
A quest for the least favorite would have been more motivating for me, at least. 

Kind regards.
Pnoom! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2008 at 09:42
Originally posted by James James wrote:

I'm going to be a wee bit controversial... or maybe I'm not in retrospect... but I think Vortex's self-titled debut is  just a tiny bit better than Les Cycles de Thanatos

I agree, debut gets 9.5, Cycles gets 9.3
Yukorin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2008 at 10:11

edit: apologies for brusqueness, I've been off the fags for a month

Edited by Yukorin - May 07 2008 at 03:13
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>