Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Live Performance Reviews
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Tinyfish at the Riga Club, Southend 9th May 2008
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTinyfish at the Riga Club, Southend 9th May 2008

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tinyfish at the Riga Club, Southend 9th May 2008
    Posted: May 10 2008 at 04:16
Another gig from the awesome ‘fish boys. Things didn’t bode well when I got to the ticket office proudly wearing my Tinyfish T-shirt and the lady behind the counter said “Ah, at least someone’s heard of them!”. Apparently the fame of the world’s smallest prog band has yet to spread to Southend. Perhaps it’s just a prog backwater, although Anderson and Wakeman did play there a while back. It has to be said the attendance was somewhat sparse, with only 20 or 30 Tinyfish faithfuls in the audience. Never mind.

The Riga is a nice club and the sound was excellent. After the Landmarq DVD finished, Tinyfish leapt onto the stage, or rather squeezed on as their equipment was at the front of the stage with main band Jump’s at the back. This time the curse of Motorville failed to strike and it completed without mishap. Other favourites such as “Nine Months on Fire” (tonight renamed “Nine Months on baby I love you but please go away”) and “Fly Like a Bird” followed, the latter for the last time (allegedly). Interspersed were some songs from the next CD, including the title track “The Big Red Spark” featuring Leon on synthesised percussion. Being recorded at the moment, this sounds like it’s going to be a cracker. An all too short performance finished with a fine rendition of the epic “All Hands Lost”. I’ll spare you Leon’s story about his kidney stones at this point, however the banter between band and crowd is an important part of the ‘fish experience. Only Simon Godfrey could get away with singing part of the theme tune to “It Ain’t ‘Alf Hot Mum” during a gap in a song!

I can’t recommend this band enough, get out there and see them when you can and buy the CD when it appears later this year.

Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2008 at 04:28
^^^sounds like you had a great evening, Alan...Clap

I have read elsewhere, that there is a small movement to make the Riga a kind of 'Classic Rock Society' south....its great that prog is being kept alive in such locations...I'm off to Lydney on the 18th to see The Watch....organised by another passionate group of individuals who are trying to do the same in rural Gloucestershire....Big%20smile
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2008 at 07:28
Sounds like a good evening, Alan. Couldn't make this one unfortunately. I enjoyed them at the Peel in Kingston back in Feb. I wish they'd do some more London gigs. I've suggested to Simon that they try to get a gig at the Half Moon in Putney. It's a great little venue.

Of course, nothing to do with the fact that it's easy for me to get to. That doesn't even come in to it..

Damn fine band, anyway. I'm looking forward to 'The Big Red Spark'
Wilcey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2008 at 12:04
Bummed I missed this, it was due to be a weekend off.................but plans never quite go according to plan!!!   I think I should just stay away from gig guides at the mo, I seem to be unable to get to any of the gigs I want to!

The Ickle fishies are always worth seeing, brilliant show at The Peel, sorry I missed Southend!
 Post Reply Post Reply