Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedActual Music Quartet RSM (Russia)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Actual Music Quartet RSM (Russia)
    Posted: May 11 2008 at 04:51
ACTUAL MUSIC QUARTET RSM

Bio taken from the band's page in their label's website (R.A.I.G):

AMQ RSM, an anonymous instrumental rock quartet from Smolensk, European Russia, was formed in 2005 by four classically trained musicians who also work in various professional academic and jazz orchestras. They were brought together by common love to modern rock-music and idea to create «actual music» – the term which, in their own interpretation, describes not «timely» or «vital» music but the music «directly related to any creative act of metaphysical transmission and perception». «Actual music» also implies the crisis of traditions and stereotypes, as well as the freedom from any conventionalities or obscurantism. Whether we label their music as post-rock or experimental rock, there are a lot of spaces for stylistic and emotional variety: from minimalism to fusion, and from melancholy to courage.

ACTUAL MUSIC QUARTET RSM — Actual Music Quartet RSM
Review by avestin (Assaf Vestin)
Special Collaborator Zeuhl/RIO/Avant Team

— First review of this album —

4%20stars This review was originally written for and posted at the Sonic Frontiers.net website

The many faces of Actual Music Quartet

At first it would seem that Actual Music Quartet RSM is a group with several faces. One side is displayed in the 1st track, Tram Song, the 5th track, Clock 77:77 and the 7th track, Face 2 Face, in which the style is that of post-rock; quite mellow (at times almost ambient), with caressing guitars and keyboards in the background. This side shows a more varied than usual aspect of post-rock, vivid and rich sounding.

On the other side I hear a very creative band, which tries (and succeeds) to create a mix not found often, a mix which the term experimental rock truly fits. At times going into an almost minimalist approach with a somewhat gloomy and eerie sound, which works perfectly (3rd track RM), they give us a taste of quite a wide array of atmospheres and sounds. A good example of an upbeat and vigorous side they expose to us is on the 4th track, where a great very fast fusion rhythm with a great throbbing bass gives the perfect background for the lead guitar to play an exhilarating role. This is a brilliant high energy track, sure to give you a kick in case the previous track was too mellowing. More variety comes in the next tracks (the 5th one, Clock 77:77) in which some of the post-rock sounds comes back along with some spacey-sounding electronic effects; again magnificent sounds are displayed here evoking great imagery and emotions.

I started by saying that at first it appears they have several faces; I then realized I shouldn’t approach it that way. Rather, this is a talented group capable of speaking in many musical tongues to create whatever textures and musical texts they want to relay to the listeners. Come to think of it, this album would be perfect as a soundtrack; the switch from one mood and texture to the others is done very well and is flowing naturally giving the impression that we are following events unfolding as if being shown an invisible movie we can only listen to. In addition, the continuity of the music all through this instrumental album makes this one of the most rewarding listening experiences I’ve had in a while.

The fact that the band members are multi-instrumentalists is shown through the richness of the sound and in its variety of instrumentation – guitars, keyboards, piano, vibraphone, mandolin, flute, percussions, electronics etc. The musicianship shown here is top quality, and the compositions are well written and well thought-out.

In short, this is a fantastic release, one that will appeal to those looking for an intriguing and beautiful musical ride. If you love music which paints soundscapes, music that seems to depict scenes, or post- rock/rock that experiments (but not in a noisy or off the wall way) then this is for you. Personally, I can’t wait for more material from this group -- highly recommended!

Report this review (#166019) | Posted Monday, April 07, 2008, 22:50 EST
Review Permanent link | Submit a review for this album

Actual Music Quartet RSM: Actual Music Quartet RSM

The Actual Music Quartet is an anonymous group of classically trained musicians hailing from Russia. Originally brought together in 2005 through their common love of modern rock music, the aim here is a rather lofty one in that they're not only out to create diverse music which is new and fresh sounding, but more importantly to create music which defies categorization as well. This debut self titled disc can be considered a success in large part due to the very fact that they don't really subscribe to any one specific musical genre. They incorporate everything from jazz and progressive rock, as well as elements of post rock, into their melting pot, and the results provide an extremely challenging and satisfying listening experience. In fact if I had to draw comparisons with any band, I would say that AMQ's sound here is very reminiscent at times of the American post rock band Tortoise in that AMQ really know how to use their various different instruments to paint a broad aural canvas. The mixture of funky and laid back rhythms are hypnotic, and when combined with the clean sounding, richly layered guitars and various electronic elements, it just adds to the overall ambience. The 8 songs on this disc flow so cohesively into one another, it really gives the listener the feeling that they're listening to one long, multi-faceted composition rather than 8 distinct tracks. There is also a very soundtrack like vibe present throughout as well, as the haunting melodies and contemplative atmospherics allow the listener to drift off in their minds and choose their own cinematic visuals to accompany the music.

AMQ RSM have certainly crafted a debut disc full of a wide range of different textures which all lovingly weave together to form a unified whole. This music will appeal to people that appreciate everything from minimalism, progressive rock, jazz and fusion, and experimental rock. Simply put this is forty two minutes of musical heaven.

Track Listing
1) Tram Song
2) Number Two
3) rm
4) Grooba
5) Clock 77:77
6) In One Point
7) Face, 2 Face
8) Watermirrors

Added: March 26th 2008
Reviewer: Ryan Sparks
Score:
Related Link: R.A.I.G.

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2008 at 10:28
bump
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2008 at 19:34
Maybe I should resort to the skillful techniques of the over-hypers:

ZOMG, BEST ALBUM EVA!!!

Will that convince you?

Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2008 at 09:14
Originally posted by avestin avestin wrote:

Maybe I should resort to the skillful techniques of the over-hypers:

ZOMG, BEST ALBUM EVA!!!

Will that convince you?

I guess most of PA's thousands visitors basically don't care They feel comfortable with their YES or DREAM THEATER thing and refuse to look deeper
Moatilliatta View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2008 at 13:19
I've been meaning to check this band out! So far so good!
www.last.fm/user/ThisCenotaph
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2008 at 22:08
Anyone get to listen to this?
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2009 at 21:51
Originally posted by avestin avestin wrote:

Anyone get to listen to this?
Doomcifer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2009 at 14:43
Yes, and it's really GREAT.
Greater is the man who conquers himself, than he who conquers a hundred times a hundred on the battlefield.
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2009 at 13:20
This is an amazing album, and I have been slow to embrace Post-Rock.  Bravo!
"I have seen the broken sky turn blue."

My Gnosis Ratings

Post Reply Post Reply