Topic ClosedDancing to Floyd???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Founding Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2004 at 01:11

Uh...guys?...

I know some classical purists who have the same reaction to ELP; i.e., "muckin' about" with "proper" classical music, creating the equivalent of musical blasphemy...  What makes what you're discussing all that different?  Indeed, if memory serves (and I am, after all, an old man...), a great many people had the same reaction to a little known quartet called The Beatles: that they were "muckin' about" with listenable "pop" music, "making a racket" with "all those guitars and stuff"...

Thoughts?

Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2004 at 03:31
Many thanks for your support on that one Maani

Well, I've now listened to the remix, and I have to say it's not exactly what I was expecting, but a good album nonetheless.

When you read the words 'Trance Remix' you generally expect the original songs to be recogniseable, but filtered and combined with electronic tomfoolery to create a new dance track with a familiar feel.

This remix isn't so much Trance as 'Euphoric Ambient' - i.e the ideal vibe for chilling to; Meddle, in its way is an ideal chilling album anyway, but the re-mixers have created an electronic chill-out album which drops in the occasional basic element from the original tracks - just enough for you to recognise it, but not so much as to make you think you're listening to a straight remix.

To conclude, I think the title 'Trance Remix' is a misnomer - this is more of a straight electronic chill-out album flavoured with just enough Meddle to create a crossover (and to annoy the more straight-laced prog-holes out there )...

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Joren View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2004 at 15:54

Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

Many thanks for your support on that one Maani

Well, I've now listened to the remix, and I have to say it's not exactly what I was expecting, but a good album nonetheless.

When you read the words 'Trance Remix' you generally expect the original songs to be recogniseable, but filtered and combined with electronic tomfoolery to create a new dance track with a familiar feel.

This remix isn't so much Trance as 'Euphoric Ambient' - i.e the ideal vibe for chilling to; Meddle, in its way is an ideal chilling album anyway, but the re-mixers have created an electronic chill-out album which drops in the occasional basic element from the original tracks - just enough for you to recognise it, but not so much as to make you think you're listening to a straight remix.

To conclude, I think the title 'Trance Remix' is a misnomer - this is more of a straight electronic chill-out album flavoured with just enough Meddle to create a crossover (and to annoy the more straight-laced prog-holes out there )...

DAMN IT Jim! Now I'm getting curious too! Does 'One Of These Days' still have the same tension?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12