Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAmygdala from Japan

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Amygdala from Japan
    Posted: May 13 2008 at 16:45
Amygdala are a Japanese band, the duo of Yoshiyuki Nakajima (keyboards, synths and programming) and Yoshihiro Yamaji (bass, guitar, and vocals). Drums are programmed by Nakajima and even though it’s inferior to having a real drummer, it is still well done. Nakajima is also the composer of the music.

Reminiscent of electric period Univers Zero (Uzed, Heatwave) and heavy sounding, creating a heavy throbbing and dark zeuhl sound that might conjure up a faster Shub niggurath with its dense brooding atmosphere. They are comfortable in this range of intense, dark and eccentric atmosphere in their music and they do it very well.
Fans of the aforementioned bands and all dark, obscure sounding music and zeuhl/avant-rock will relish with this band’s output.

In their new album, Comlex Combat, the lineup is expanded to include Daniel Jeand'heur on drums
and an appearance of Kenichi Oguchi on synths on track 2.

Here are two reviews for the two album by John, who's views I think highly of:

AMYGDALA — Complex Combat
Review by sinkadotentree (john davie)
Prog Reviewer

— First review of this album —

4%20stars Love the title they chose for this one because it does describe the music very well. For this their second recording they have added a real drummer in Daniel Jeand'heur from ONE SHOT.I'm a real fan of this talented drummer and was excited when i heard the news he was going to play on this album.He does not disappoint in the least.Kenichi Oguchi from KENSO guests on synths for 2 tracks.This is an album not unlike a UNIVERS ZERO record where you really have to give it your full attention or forget it.This is not good background music.I really felt that this album had more in common with UNIVERS ZERO and PRESENT than a lot of zeuhl bands i have heard.This is intricate,dark and complex. Double Army opens with odd-metered drumming and random keys before an outbreak of guitar.It's 2 minutes before we get a real melody, and it's slow paced.Scorching guitar breaks out as drums pound out intricate patterns.This is great! Lots of keys and organ.More ripping guitar comes and goes until we get a calm after 8 minutes of piano and drums.The guitar breaks that up 10 minutes in as the sound becomes very intense. Theatre Anatomy opens with slowly played piano as we can hear guys coughing over and over.This becomes dark and tense with organ and keys as the guitar scapes along with angular sounds.Complex not unlike chamber music but electric with all these intricate sounds coming and going.Dark sounding organ before 8 minutes also comes and goes. Mole's Egg opens with organ and drums before guitar comes in with attitude.Check out the synth solo 1 1/2 minutes in by Oguchi.Nice.It's followed up with a blistering guitar solo.Keys and angular guitar 3 minutes in.Some powerful organ comes and goes.Pounding drums after 6 minutes.Check out the guitar after 7 minutes to end it. Ozy is dark and heavy to start with.I love listening to the drums here as the angular guitar grinds and scrapes away.Another guest synth solo 4 1/2 minutes in and after 6 minutes.Complex combat aptly describes the rest of the song. Logos opens with powerful organ as drums burst upon the scene.It becomes very intense 1 1/2 minutes in.This is all about the drums and organ.The drumming before 6 minutes is outstanding.So much going on during this track. 4.5 stars.This really blew me away.Almost 5 stars in my opinion.The complexity,darkness,and drum work are mind-boggling.

Report this review (#170187) | Posted Wednesday, May 07, 2008, 23:59 EST
Review Permanent link | Submit a review for this album

AMYGDALA%20Amygdala%20progressive%20rock%20album%20and%20reviews Zeuhl
(Studio Album, 2004)
Avg: 3.09/5
from 2 ratings
AMYGDALA — Amygdala
Review by sinkadotentree (john davie)
Prog Reviewer

3%20stars This is very well done,especially for a two man band.A lot of programmed sounds though including the drums,but i swear if i didn't know the drums weren't real i wouldn't know.They are extremely well done.The music is dark and heavy with a zeuhl flavour. Utrecht opens heavily with slow pounding drums and scorching guitar.A lot of bottom end.The guitar really rips it up in this one and there are flute-like sounds as well.An intense ending to this one. Great opening track. 1998 opens with keys as a clarinet-like melody comes in.Drums and heaviness follows.Some nice bass lines early followed later by some scorching guitar.The melody stops before 5 minutes as synths and programmed sounds wash in for 1 1/2 minutes.The melody returns led at first by keys, then guitar and heaviness comes back. Bernoulli's Organ opens with bass,keys and drums.After 3 minutes it's hard to believe again that the drums aren't real,they are so well done.We get xylophone-like sounds and mellotron-like sounds,and organ too.Angular guitar after 5 1/2 minutes.The tempo slows down before 7 minutes as it gets darker.Back to the intensity to end it. Low Life is fairly slow going for the first 3 minutes reminding me of UNIVERS ZERO,then strange sounds come as the tempo picks up with background spoken words.Synths and drums end it. -DB opens with slow paced keys and bass before a clarinet-like melody comes in.Still slow paced.Drums and guitar 3 1/2 minutes in adds some life with guitar leading the way 4 minutes in. Under Utopian Universe is pastoral with running water,bass and flute-like sounds. The bonus track Theme Of Unteleported Man features some orchestral-like sounds along with what sounds like mellotron.It gets darker before 3 minutes.More orchestral-like sounds follow. 3.5 stars.A worthy debut from this Japanese band who are only going to get better.

Report this review (#169115) | Posted Tuesday, April 29, 2008, 23:39 EST
Review Permanent link | Submit a review for this album

Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2008 at 19:03
I have to say that I wasn't too keen on Amygdala when I first heard them - I think it was use of drum programmes rather than real drumming that put me off. I might give them another try in the next few weeks.
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2008 at 19:04
So you should try the new one with real drums, Chris.
But I have to tell you, I had the same worries for the first one, but it works well for me. I like that album a lot.

Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2008 at 22:58
They are fun.

Got their first cheap and wasn't blown away, but it was enjoyable. A little samey throughout (if I remember correctly, which I might not).  Once there's a random special on CC  I'll pick that up too. Tongue
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2008 at 23:07
I've got their new album Complex Combat and am looking forward to hearing it someday soon.  Now they have some assistance, especially in relation to a drummer, I hope they sound better (not that I hated their sound much anyhow).

Any thoughts on Complex Combat, Assaf?
 Post Reply Post Reply