Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 215>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mithrandir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies
    Posted: May 13 2008 at 20:46
Well, I did a search and didn't find a thread quite like this, so if you don't mind me starting one here...

...just like the topic says load this thread up with your recently watched movies! Rating and discussing them is optional but I'd like to see what you fine folks are watching.  Yes, Im a netflix junky and have much love for fine (or bad) cinema...

...hopefully this thread will be constantly active as I watch at least 3 movies a weekend, I'll be listing them all here once a week or so...and hopefully I wont be the only one listing!
Cool

a few of my recent viewings of mine to start the thread off with:

Protagonist - this was a neat little movie, actually a documentary about 4 completely different people and their stories of ups and downs and various revelations in life, basically a cautionary film about the frailty of certainty - 8.5/10

Rory O'Shea Was Here - eh, goofy and sappy not in a good way - 3/10

Dogville - this is the 3rd Lars von Trier movie I've seen and I think I can safely say this guy has become my favorite director of modern times, damn I loved this movie so much....with each movie he seems to add something novel and unique for the process this one was no different, it was sort of set up like you are watching a play on a giant stage which was all of Dogville, it all takes place within one prelude and 9 acts, its funny cause by the 2nd or 3rd act after I got past the novelty of the set up I starting to think the story itself seemed a bit weak and began to wonder if it was going to hold my interest the rest of the way through....boy was I wrong! by the 5th act I was completely enthralled, what a fantastic ending too, I loved it to death! one of those movies you can really only see once to get the full impact, a 2nd watch just wouldn't be the same since all the surprise and suspense is gone, I say - 10/10

Room -kind of like Hitler, it started off strong but ended up in failure...neo-avant silliness - 2/10

Neco z Alenky(Alice) - this is my first experience with Jan Svankmajer and after this I cant wait to see more, basically a retelling of Alice In Wonderland with stop motion animation, a very imaginative use of tools, sewing accessories, children's toys, animal bones, gross food, and variety of other junk to make all the creatures and props Alice experiences through her journey, awesome stuff - 8/10

Neverwas - yikes! this was bad, even the Philip Glass soundtrack couldn't save this disaster, I even wanted to like it just a little bit cause it was kind of a pathetic movie, but nah, who am I kidding? - 2.5/10

Edited by mithrandir - May 14 2008 at 14:04
BroSpence View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BroSpence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2008 at 22:29
Hurray for Netflix (sort of)! And HBO for allowing me to see all those bad movies I didn't want to pay much of anything for.

Recently I've been on a bad and goofy movie streak.:

Ghost Rider:  WOW! It was even worse than it looked.  The Marvel company seems to be good at putting out tons of their comics into half-assed movies like the Hulk, Fantastic Four, and Ghost Rider.  Nicolas Cage was pretty funny (although he was trying so hard to be good).  Provided some good laughs at the overall very very terrible flick.  2/10

Teeth: A girl proponent of God and Celibacy finds out she has some teeth in her Vag.  that will bite stuff.  A pretty well done grossout/horror type flick.  It was very entertaining.  8/10

Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back: This was one of two Smith movies I avoided for a while for some reason.  Having watched both Even With Kevin Smith movies my interest was peaked.  So, I rented it, enjoyed it.  8/10

Tenacious D and the Pick of Destiny:  I caught this on HBO the other day.  I own it.  This was the 5th time I watched it in a year.  Its a beautiful film.  16/10.

Ratatouille: I don't know if my spelling is right, but I think we all know the movie I'm talking about.  It followed the basic disney plot, but it was still pretty good.  Good laughs, and I wasn't tired of the nonw over abused pixar animation style.  8/10

Brick: Saw this last night, finally.  It was very well done.  I liked the noir style set in a high school setting.  Gordon Levitt was good too.  9/10
Chris H View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2008 at 22:54
Originally posted by BroSpence BroSpence wrote:

Ratatouille: I don't know if my spelling is right, but I think we all know the movie I'm talking about.  It followed the basic disney plot, but it was still pretty good.  Good laughs, and I wasn't tired of the nonw over abused pixar animation style.  8/10

I pretty much echo this, I thought it was going to be crap when I started watching it, just the same run of the mill Disney garbage. Much to my surprised, I enjoyed it very much and it was quite funny as well!
Beauty will save the world.
mithrandir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mithrandir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2008 at 14:06
whoah! what happened to all the posts that were here? they get deleted or something?

edit update:
hmm, looks like we lost a few of our posts due to the hacking last night, well let us persevere in the name of cinema!

Edited by mithrandir - May 14 2008 at 19:36
avalanchemaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avalanchemaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2008 at 18:31
okay let me try to recapture what I originally said:

The Golden Compass- 8/10- I really enjoyed this one, even though it is clearly geared towards children....
I just bought the trilogy of books that the movie is based on (the Dark Materials), and cannot wait to dive into them now that the summer is here and school is over for me.

I think it is hilarious that the religious right was up in arms about this film, trying to boycott it because they think it is anti-god.....haha, yeah right!

The Orphanage- 7.5/10
one of the better and more original, spine-chilling Psychological thrillers I have seen in some time.  definitely worthwhile stuff.

I feel like a false compared to Mithrandir, because lately I only rent from Blockbuster, I need to start renting more indie stuff from my indie store again.

My father still owns an old-style theater with two carbon-arc powered projectors, I used to work the projectors as a teenager.....gave me my love for film, you cannot beat the seat up in the projection booth,
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2008 at 10:01

Iron Man. I'll give it a 8.5/10 right now but I'm not sure how much of my enjoyment was because of my fond childhood memories of the cartoon.LOL

Pnoom! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pnoom! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2008 at 10:15
The Gods Must be Crazy
9.5/10

Awesome and pretty funny at times.  Very satiric, well recommended.
Pnoom! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pnoom! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2008 at 10:16
Originally posted by avalanchemaster avalanchemaster wrote:

The Golden Compass- 8/10- I really enjoyed this one, even though it is clearly geared towards children....
I just bought the trilogy of books that the movie is based on (the Dark Materials), and cannot wait to dive into them now that the summer is here and school is over for me.

I think it is hilarious that the religious right was up in arms about this film, trying to boycott it because they think it is anti-god.....haha, yeah right!

I didn't see the movie because it got crap reviews, but I can tell you that the book itself is pretty clearly atheist at heart, not that children would be able to pick up on that.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mithrandir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2008 at 14:33
Originally posted by Pnoom! Pnoom! wrote:

I didn't see the movie because it got crap reviews, but I can tell you that the book itself is pretty clearly atheist at heart, not that children would be able to pick up on that.

I'd hope children who would read this would get the impression that there's more to the universe and creation than a simple monotheistic explination, Wink

the movie wasn't horrible, the setting, Daemons, specFX, and actors were pretty well done, but they completely messed up the flow of the film, and totally left out the true ending, a shame....its funny cause people at first were blaming the director(Chris Weitz), but he stated it wasn't his fault...he intended the timeline to follow the book and to include the proper ending,  it was the execs that came in and edited it to hell, they also had a few unreleased scenes up on a site I saw where they indeed had much of the proper ending filmed....my GF and I think they shouldn't have even attempted to do a film adaptation of His Dark Materials to begin with, Not even sure how they would make a commercially sucsessful movie the the 2nd part "The Subtle Knife" since there really isn't that much action or dazzling moments that could be filmed and would drive audiences to the theaters...unless they forced a bunch of crap that just isn't there....lame,
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avalanchemaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2008 at 15:29
Originally posted by mithrandir mithrandir wrote:

I'd hope children who would read this would get the impression that there's more to the universe and creation than a simple monotheistic explination, Wink

the movie wasn't horrible, the setting, Daemons, specFX, and actors were pretty well done, but they completely messed up the flow of the film, and totally left out the true ending, a shame....its funny cause people at first were blaming the director(Chris Weitz), but he stated it wasn't his fault...he intended the timeline to follow the book and to include the proper ending,  it was the execs that came in and edited it to hell, they also had a few unreleased scenes up on a site I saw where they indeed had much of the proper ending filmed....my GF and I think they shouldn't have even attempted to do a film adaptation of His Dark Materials to begin with, Not even sure how they would make a commercially sucsessful movie the the 2nd part "The Subtle Knife" since there really isn't that much action or dazzling moments that could be filmed and would drive audiences to the theaters...unless they forced a bunch of crap that just isn't there....lame,

WOW.  so do you have a link to the alternate ending?  is that available in the 2disc release of the movie?
that makes me want to read the books even more.....soon, very soon.....
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mithrandir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2008 at 20:13

WOW.  so do you have a link to the alternate ending?  is that available in the 2disc release of the movie?
that makes me want to read the books even more.....soon, very soon.....

http://www.hisdarkmaterials.org/news/the-golden-compass/what-about-the-directors-cut
at the bottom of the blog where is says, Watch the director's cut scenes,
its not the full ending, just a montage of scenes they cut, not sure if they'll ever put out the full director's cut, we'll see
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avalanchemaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2008 at 20:48
thanks man.  ifl,
BroSpence View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BroSpence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2008 at 22:53
Genghis Blues - The famouus documentary about blind bluesman Paul Pena, who learned to do Tuvan throat singing from listening to a Russian radio station.  He was invited to show his talent at the somewhat annual tuvan throat singing contest in Tuva.  It was excellent.  9/10.
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Petrovsk Mizinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2008 at 04:22
Originally posted by BroSpence BroSpence wrote:

Hurray for Netflix (sort of)! And HBO for allowing me to see all those bad movies I didn't want to pay much of anything for.

Recently I've been on a bad and goofy movie streak.:

Ghost Rider:  WOW! It was even worse than it looked.  The Marvel company seems to be good at putting out tons of their comics into half-assed movies like the Hulk, Fantastic Four, and Ghost Rider.  Nicolas Cage was pretty funny (although he was trying so hard to be good).  Provided some good laughs at the overall very very terrible flick.  2/10

Come to think of it, I watch Ghost Rider two weeks ago. The emoticon coming up will tell you what I thought about its quality as a film.....

Dead
Passionist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passionist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2008 at 05:19
Hard to Kill, Steven Seagal... I saw this last night. A hard boiled martial arts cop gets in the middle of corrupted politics. 2/10 stars, the movie was awful, but yet funny. One of those "get a bad movie and loads of beer" -flicks.

Edited by Passionist - May 16 2008 at 05:20
Jimbo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2008 at 12:20
Ghost Dog: A very interesting film by Jim Jarmusch. Tells the story of a weird 'samurai' assassin who gets in the middle of mafia business. It effortlessly blends just about every film genre out there; thriller, comedy, drama, mafia, martial arts etc. Lots of interesting philosophical excerpts from Hagakure, the book of the samurai. 8/10

The Seventh Continent: A film by Michael Haneke. Do not watch this if you're depressed. A film about a wealthy Austrian family who suddenly realize how shallow and empty their seemingly comfortable life is. As a result, they take some rather drastic measures to get rid of the problem. The movie offers very little comfort or explanation, the characters are cold and distant. Good for shock value, but it's difficult to be emotional about all of it when the movie is anything but. This was done intentionally though. 7/10

The Science of Sleep: directed by Michel Gondry (Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind). A fun little film about a boy who wanders off to his own dreamworld all the time and has difficulties separating reality from it. The basic premise is not all that original (the whole 'boy meets girl' fare), but as we spend most of the movie in the dreamworld, it becomes fascinating and fun to watch. Nowhere near as convincing as Eternal Sunshine... but certainly worthy of viewing if you liked that movie. Charlie Kauffman could have spiced up the movie a little bit though... 8/10
GoldenSpiral View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldenSpiral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2008 at 13:05

I recently watched this too.
I liked the novels a lot, but this movie was awful.  They butchered it to hell trying to cut out "offensive" things, and of course cut out the entire ending of the book.  The only cool part was the ice bear fight and the fact that Sam Elliot was the best possible casting choice for Lee.

As far as the Atheism thing goes, it's all a matter of how you interpret it.  I have my own interpretation, but I don't think most people would see it as I do, they choose the easy scapegoat.  I can't really go into it though (it would give away a lot of the 3rd book).

Anyway, I hope they don't even make the 2nd two movies if they're going to be as half-assed as that one.

So, movies Ive seen...
The Other Boleyn Girl - 7/10.
I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would, and it is woth watching just for the tornado of hottness that is ScarJo and Natalie Portman together.  Actually, it's a pretty nicely done film.
http://www.myspace.com/altaic
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon
TGM: Orb View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TGM: Orb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2008 at 14:13
The Hole - 7/10
Good, original, psychological/thriller. Some good twists, interesting characters and plot. Great atmosphere. Acting was convincing enough. I liked it.

Resident Evil - 8.5/10
I was skeptical about the film of a game, naturally, but they pulled it off with flying colours. Good underlying themes and action scenes, convincing performances all round, especially from, Milla Jovovich, who is also *mmmf* Heart. Great action/horror film.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mithrandir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2008 at 14:34
Originally posted by GoldenSpiral GoldenSpiral wrote:

the fact that Sam Elliot was the best possible casting choice for Lee.

As far as the Atheism thing goes, it's all a matter of how you interpret it.  I have my own interpretation, but I don't think most people would see it as I do, they choose the easy scapegoat.  I can't really go into it though (it would give away a lot of the 3rd book).

Anyway, I hope they don't even make the 2nd two movies if they're going to be as half-assed as that one.

agreed on all 3 points! Thumbs%20Up
KoS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KoS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2008 at 14:49
Originally posted by TGM: Orb TGM: Orb wrote:

Resident Evil - 8.5/10
I was skeptical about the film of a game, naturally, but they pulled it off with flying colours. Good underlying themes and action scenes, convincing performances all round, especially from, Milla Jovovich, who is also *mmmf* Heart. Great action/horror film.
Those Resident Evil films are a bit of a guilty pleasure.
It is a well done brainless action movie but it is quite enjoyable if you don't over think or expect something else from it.
What I find interesting is that loyal fans of the game think of it as an abomination like the game has a first rate story anyhow.LOL
And Milla is lovely.Embarrassed

Edited by king of Siam - May 16 2008 at 14:50
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 215>