Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 129130131132133 216>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mithrandir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2014 at 02:27
Paranoid Park - vapid artsy, IFC crap - 2/10

Rats: Night of Terror - Italians hate animals, rats attack! - 6/10

Johnny Got His Gun - dream sequences were a little drawn out, early 70s antiwar agitprop - 7/10

Mary and Max - cute, stop-motion, liked the first half better, got a little depressing towards the end - 7/10

Metalstorm: The Destruction of Jared-Syn - Charles Band blatant ripoff of Spacehunter - 6.5/10

Galaxy of Terror - pretty darn elaborate for a schlocky Alien ripoff (also think Event Horizon) , A LOT of familiar faces, nice background sets, props, sound effects, and pretty neat practical effects - 7.5/10

The Road Warrior - always a classic, the cinematography in this sucker will always impress - 10/10
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2014 at 12:51
Finally got around to watching Total Recall with Farrell and Beckinsale.
Good action and look to the film, lousy plot.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2014 at 04:40
Non-Stop

A typically grim Liam Neeson is a troubled air marshal on a flight to London who begins receiving texts threatening to kill one passenger every twenty minutes.   Marginally suspenseful and mildly imaginative but mostly just implausible verging on absurd.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2014 at 06:27
Run Fatboy Run (2007) directed by that talentless c*nt in Friends David Schwimmer

Far be it from me to prejudice you towards this movie but not even the abilities of the routinely excellent Dylan Moran and Simon Pegg can rescue this 'off the shelf' heart-string tugger. Sentimental, cliched and with a 'feel good factor' that is a war crime against British comedic sensibility. Moran and Pegg should be embarrassed by this and the only credible reason I can think of that they failed to ask Schwimmer to go take a well earned f*ck to himself was the huge fat cheque on offer. Imagine an Ealing comedy directed by someone whose never been there, never seen one and whose target audience believe that cruelty and sadness can be banished forever by more hugging. There are some funny moments but these are because of Moran and Pegg in spite of Schwimmer. Erm.. the soundtrack's good.
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2014 at 14:14
^ What do you know - Michael Ian Black took over the story- and script-writing duties. No wonder it sucks. I heard his stand-up. His jokes are stupid and juvenile.
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2014 at 16:51
Nightmare On Elm Street 3 Dream Warriors

What a classic Evil Smile
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2014 at 17:34
^ I think I caught that in theaters, is there a very young Keanu Reeves?
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2014 at 19:53
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

^ What do you know - Michael Ian Black took over the story- and script-writing duties. No wonder it sucks. I heard his stand-up. His jokes are stupid and juvenile.

Ah...I didn't pick up on that so thanks, guess that might explain the sugar coated pacifier of a plot
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 02:18
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

No, actually Keanu was not in the movie but there is a young Patricia Arquette Big smile

Edited by ProgMetaller2112 - July 12 2014 at 02:24
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2014 at 00:57
Creature from the Black Lagoon

This stunner from 1954 still draws us in with its gorgeous photography, costumes, sets and stunts, and some of the most effective suspense moments in film history.   With a sympathetic attitude toward the creature that echoes the Frankenstein story, the impact Creature from the Black Lagoon had on everything from Jaws to Alien is clear.
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2014 at 05:14

Quite inventive "man on the run" thriller from the late 1940s, making some interesting use of 1st person perspective in the camerawork and having a well-constructed slow burn plot storyline grappling with a lot of thorny guilt issues forcing several main characters into moral dilemmas there's no easy escape from. (a hallmark of David Goodis' novels one of whom this is an adaptation, but to be honest I don't like his writing style that much and hence prefer the film adaptations) 

Edited by Toaster Mantis - July 16 2014 at 13:32
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2014 at 05:30
^ what is??  title please !
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2014 at 05:40
Dark Passage. Edited the post to find an image link that isn't broken or too big for the forum software.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2014 at 05:45
oh love DP, one of the best American noirs ever--  that whole first scene in the car where we are Bogey is fantastic, very innovative at that time
mithrandir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mithrandir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2014 at 19:26
Escape from New York - always had a little bit of a problem with this movie, the first act is much better than the rest of the movie, the rest of the movie is fun, but somewhere around the appearance of Ernest Borgnine and the Pimpmobile, it looses what was set up by the bleak first act, - 7/10 - meh, still a classic but wouldn't say its as good as The Thing or The Road Warrior

The Planet of the Apes - CGI apes can never defeat ape costumes and a brilliant soundtrack - 8.5/10

Creepozoids - the entire movie took place in like 3 rooms, how many times can you film monsters sneaking up on you, and then not knowing where it went right after it threw you into a shelf? - 3.5/10

Babe: Pig in the City - the Citizen Kane of the 90s, actually greater than Citizen Kane, cute animals > Orson Welles - 7/10
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2014 at 03:58
Apollo 13

Though diabetically mawkish, Ron Howard's painstaking recreation of the third manned moonshot in 1970 is among the best syntheses of science and dramatic filmmaking and gave everyone a crash-course in spaceflight and physics.   Claustrophobic, well-documented, probably Howard's best movie.

Edited by Atavachron - July 14 2014 at 03:59
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2014 at 04:03
^ diabetically mawkish just made my day pearClap
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2014 at 04:10
I at first read it as "diabolically mawkish". I haven't seen Apollo 13 but I imagine it would make an interesting compare-and-contrast with The Right Stuff. ("diabolically mawkish" certainly seems like a phrase Tom Wolfe could use)
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Garten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2014 at 05:05
Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

No, actually Keanu was not in the movie but there is a young Patricia Arquette Big smile

You may be thinking of the first Nightmare On Elm Street film, which featured a very young Johnny Depp

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2014 at 13:40

Creature from the Black Lagoon

This stunner from 1954 still draws us in with its gorgeous photography, costumes, sets and stunts, and some of the most effective suspense moments in film history.   With a sympathetic attitude toward the creature that echoes the Frankenstein story, the impact Creature from the Black Lagoon had on everything from Jaws to Alien is clear.
Having grown up watching those on black and white tv as a kid I always liked them but that one was always one of my least favorites of the old Hollywood classic horror films (Frankenstein, Dracula, Wolf Man, The Mummy, etc..) . The underwater scenes bored  me for some reason and The Creature didn't really scare me. In the 50's I preferred the sci-fi horror like Them, It came From Outer Space, The Thing, etc.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 129130131132133 216>