Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 130131132133134 215>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2014 at 04:56
The Lion in Winter

Terrific film version of James Goldman's play abounds with crackling dialog and atmosphere as a middle-aged King Henry II resolves to settle the family business at Chinon, France in 1183.   Peter O'Toole was never better than in this role and Anthony Hopkins nice to see in his first feature film.   A treasure of linguistic pith, rhythm, and resolve.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
addictedtoprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addictedtoprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2014 at 05:04
Transformers latest
Was mighty bored...a head of garbage...
Had to listen to Blackwater Park in entirity on my cellphone wid earphones at full volume..
Luna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2014 at 20:28
No Country for Old Men

Terrifying and brilliant. The long periods of silence, the violent scenes erupting from nowhere, or lack of violent scenes when expecting them. All tied into the idea of fate and freewill and the helplessness of an individual. 
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2014 at 20:42
^ Agree, need to see that'n again sometime.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Luna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2014 at 21:35
The Room. Speechless. 
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Person Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2014 at 21:46
I think I speak for all of us of when I say, "oh hai doggy."
Luna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2014 at 21:49
That was the best scene
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2014 at 06:41
The Thomas Crown Affair  (1999)

The classic with McQueen and Dunaway usually gets the accolades but to be honest I've alway found it dull and much prefer this remake; it's art as the prize here rather than cash and Pierce Brosnan's Thomas Crown a more hands-on thief.   Clever detailing and plotting culminating in a memorable final scene.
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2014 at 06:42
Originally posted by Luna Luna wrote:

The Room. Speechless. 

Tommy Wiseau looks like everyone in Type O Negative combined into one person.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2014 at 15:17
Anyone seen this weird indy film called... Coherence...?
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Luna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2014 at 17:54
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

The Room. Speechless. 

Tommy Wiseau looks like everyone in Type O Negative combined into one person.
You just blew my mind Beer
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2014 at 03:07
Jack Goes Boating

Lugubrious slice of life focuses on two couples in New York; one challenged with the trials of a longterm relationship, the other struggling with the fears of a new one.   A good try but falls short frequently.   Philip Seymour Hoffman directs and stars, based on Robert Glaudini's play.
Luna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2014 at 22:28
Fargo - the most I've ever laughed at people being brutally killed
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2014 at 22:39
Thor-Dark World

Decent 'Marvel Comics'  film......good action and effects.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2014 at 02:13
Joe

Nicholas Cage's skills are showcased in this American Gothic set in a hard-nosed backwater community with Cage's character befriending a teen with an abusive father.   Not a lot new here but somewhat better than 2012's similar Mud, the mood and authentic feel making up for the lack of originality.   The standout is Gary Poulter, a homeless guy cast to play Tye Sheridan's dad.   Based on the Larry Brown novel.
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Garten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2014 at 09:05

Fargo - the most I've ever laughed at people being brutally killed

Perfect description of my favorite Coen Brothers' film

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ole-the-first Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2014 at 09:44
^Try 12 Monkeys. A really funny movie about unavoidable virus apocalypse.
This night wounds time.
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Garten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2014 at 09:54
That's one of those movies for some reason I always miss seeing; big Terry Gilliam fan (except the bloody awful 'Parnasus'), so can't understand how I've never seen this one

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2014 at 10:35
I watched The Guard the other night, a strange little film that's like Irish Coen brothers making an odd-couple police movie with the script-writers of Father Ted. Staring Brendan Gleeson (Mad-Eye Moody from Hogwart) and Don Cheadle (Oceans 11, Rwanda) as the mismatched pair it has plenty those uncomfortable but happily enjoyable dark comedy moments were you laugh though you know you shouldn't topped off with stream of dourly delivered unPC jibes from Gleeson: "Now I know what you're thinking. You're thinking, these men are armed and dangerous, and you being an FBI agent you're more used to shooting at unarmed women and children..."
What?
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2014 at 10:42
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

I watched The Guard the other night, a strange little film that's like Irish Coen brothers making an odd-couple police movie with the script-writers of Father Ted. Staring Brendan Gleeson (Mad-Eye Moody from Hogwart) and Don Cheadle (Oceans 11, Rwanda) as the mismatched pair it has plenty those uncomfortable but happily enjoyable dark comedy moments were you laugh though you know you shouldn't topped off with stream of dourly delivered unPC jibes from Gleeson: "Now I know what you're thinking. You're thinking, these men are armed and dangerous, and you being an FBI agent you're more used to shooting at unarmed women and children..."

I had the same ambivalence about this movie (which a pal recommended as yeah, Iain this is screaming right up your alley etc) It's really just a buddy cop movie which paradoxically, and somehow it pains me to say this, that Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy exploited to funnier effect in The Heat (which I enjoyed hugely but wanted to loathe heartily)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 130131132133134 215>