Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 131132133134135 215>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bloodnarfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2014 at 10:50
Originally posted by Luna Luna wrote:

No Country for Old Men

Fargo

Are you on a Coen Brother's kick? I kind of want to go back and see the ones I missed like Burn After Reading and Inside Llewyn Davis

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Thor-Dark World

Decent 'Marvel Comics'  film......good action and effects.

Really? I had to put down 3 beers just to sit through this one... I was considering leaving the theater. 
Luna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2014 at 14:04
Originally posted by bloodnarfer bloodnarfer wrote:

No Country for Old Men

Fargo

Are you on a Coen Brother's kick? I kind of want to go back and see the ones I missed like Burn After Reading and Inside Llewyn Davis
Yeah, I have been. Though those are the only ones I've seen so far. Looking forward to watching more.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2014 at 20:31
^ i don't know if it gets much better than Fargo and No Country--  I mean Barton Fink and Raising Arizona are fine when you're young but they don't hold up like the other two.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ole-the-first Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2014 at 06:12
The Guard is a great black comedy/action flick, one of the funniest comedies I've watched recently.
This night wounds time.
ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ole-the-first Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2014 at 06:21
The Prisoners

Starts as a terrific thriller, but its final 30 minutes spoiled it a bit. I really liked it when it stepped into a bit Lynchian psychic enigma territory, but its resolution comes too abruptly and places each puzzle onto it's place way too long before the movie's end.
This night wounds time.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2014 at 13:51
Originally posted by bloodnarfer bloodnarfer wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Thor-Dark World

Decent 'Marvel Comics'  film......good action and effects.

Really? I had to put down 3 beers just to sit through this one... I was considering leaving the theater. 
They don't serve beer at my theater....must be a Texas thing.
LOL

I thought it was ok for a comic book film.......; also saw Iron Man 3 yesterday....now that I was disappointed in even though they gave it 3 stars. Downey is always fun to watch but the villain and other actors were really mediocre.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
mithrandir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mithrandir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2014 at 13:24
Frankenstein: The True Story (1973) - not sure what makes this a "true story", but its another interesting and radically different interpretation/telling of the Frankenstein story, when the monster is birthed he looks normal and is innocent and childlike, something went wrong in the process of course and he eventually starts to rot and become "ugly" looking while still remaining innocent and childlike, but of course everyone starts treating him like sh*t because of how he looks on the outside and his father abandons him, thus his ill treatment by society eventually turns towards revenge, a few other big side plots and characters added, this is a 3 hr movie btw, some definite filler for sure but over all I enjoyed it, considering I'm always on the hunt for unique Frankenstein movies - 7.5/10
*an extra half point for a few really good gory/gross-out moments!
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2014 at 13:33
^ Maybe it is a true story, only the monster was a figurative one.
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2014 at 17:03
All Babe Network. Mary Carey and Jazy Berlin were surprisingly good LOL 
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2014 at 23:38
Originally posted by mithrandir mithrandir wrote:

Frankenstein: The True Story (1973) - not sure what makes this a "true story", but its another interesting and radically different interpretation/telling of the Frankenstein story, when the monster is birthed he looks normal and is innocent and childlike, something went wrong in the process of course and he eventually starts to rot and become "ugly" looking while still remaining innocent and childlike, but of course everyone starts treating him like sh*t because of how he looks on the outside and his father abandons him, thus his ill treatment by society eventually turns towards revenge, a few other big side plots and characters added, this is a 3 hr movie btw, some definite filler for sure but over all I enjoyed it, considering I'm always on the hunt for unique Frankenstein movies - 7.5/10
*an extra half point for a few really good gory/gross-out moments!

I remember that, it was a British TV movie and aired in the States a few years later.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2014 at 01:55
Originally posted by mithrandir mithrandir wrote:

Escape from New York - always had a little bit of a problem with this movie, the first act is much better than the rest of the movie, the rest of the movie is fun, but somewhere around the appearance of Ernest Borgnine and the Pimpmobile, it looses what was set up by the bleak first act, - 7/10 - meh, still a classic but wouldn't say its as good as The Thing or The Road Warrior

Gotta disagree, that's when the plot begins, otherwise it's just Snake running around Manhattan.  The Thing may be a better film technically but I love EFNY, the trashy piece of pulp.

"What's wrong with Broadway?"

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2014 at 05:27
Pompeii

By-the-numbers period action with just enough heart to avoid disaster, this summer product doesn't live up to a Noah or even a Troy but may distract on a dull Saturday night enough to lose two hours you'll never get back.
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 00:25
The Girl Next Door Big smile LOL  That Elisha Cuthbert. Oh man Wink

Edited by ProgMetaller2112 - August 01 2014 at 00:27
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2014 at 04:29
Jodorowsky's Dune

Undeniably one of the great untold stories in sci-fi cinema, director Alejandro Jodorowski's Dune was gonna be a spectacle like no other; "It would've changed zee world! " Jodorowsky reminds us frequently,"...a film that would show zee audience a new way of seeing!", he gleams.   And it was well on its way to being just that with dudes like Moebius and Pink Floyd on board.   But whether the timing was wrong or everyone was just too stoned to actually do anything, the vision was never realized, we were left with 3,000 storyboarded drawings, and an enthusiastic if grizzled Jodorowsky lamenting what could've been.   A documentary that is both sad and illuminating, and a reminder of a time when the world had greater limitations.

MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MillsLayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2014 at 22:32
Aliens

I'll just keep this short.  My all time favorite sci-fi movie.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2014 at 23:59
"Here, kitty..."
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2014 at 09:20
Going to watch Worlds End with Simon Pegg....hope it's funny.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2014 at 13:09
I wouldn't bet on it. Wink
What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 05:58
Bad Words

Surprisingly funny irreverence about a forty year-old guy who's found a loophole in Spelling Bee rules and starts competing nationally.   Jason Bateman directs and stars.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2014 at 04:39
Bronson

Chameleon Tom Hardy portrays "Britain's Most Violent Prisoner" Michael Peterson (aka Charles Bronson) as he's bumped from jail to nut-house to criminal asylum leaving a trail of bruised and bloodied guards, inmates and prison staff in his wake.   Stylized and progressively strange, Bronson is a dark movie about a dark life with the eminently gifted Hardy overdoing it on occasion and the film more nightmarish delusion than biopic.   Rather good though, and earns points for lines like "You just pissed on a gypsy in the middle of f*cking nowhere-- hardly the hottest ticket in town".

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 131132133134135 215>