Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 132133134135136 215>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2014 at 03:35
Thief

Caught between the true-crime realism of the 1970s and designer tech of the early 80s, Michael Mann's directorial debut has a lot going for it and yet somehow manages to bore us half of the time.   We want to like Thief, we certainly like James Caan, and Tangerine Dream's score is nice to hear.   But the disconnect between the character's professional life as a diamond burglar and legit job as car salesman & husband never comes together and what could've been one of the great cult films of the era ends up mostly forgotten about.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ole-the-first Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2014 at 03:50
The Hit

Great thriller, magnificent cast featuring John Hurt, Terence Stamp, Tim Roth and Fernando Rey.
This night wounds time.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2014 at 06:31
Syriana

Palpably atmospheric psych-thriller set in the Middle East intersects three main storylines following players in the Big Oil/CIA/State Department intrigues post-9/11.   Drawn from ex-CIA man Robert Baer's memoir, it brims with inside swagger and geopolitical savvy as we get a rare peek into a grim, oddly finite world of petroleum politics and the machinations that keep it going.   Believable but still entertaining, the sad reality of modern day espionage through the looking glass.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2014 at 16:38
Watchmen (Director's Cut)*.

Disclaimer: I haven't read a lick from the Watchmen graphic novel, though I did do a bit of research on the universe.

I'll try to keep it simple, short, and sweet (because otherwise I'd be beating myself over much longer paragraphs in this review). I've never seen such an ambitious film in which the characters and their ideals were so conflicted. The film mostly relies on the main story about a great deception, a story full of "jokes", a story that leads to the ultimate practical joke of fate (if that's what I wanna call it). In addition to that, there are six secondary pieces, one for every hero. While some of those pieces contribute to the main story, others seem to be there just to pad the film or complete the sextet. It also explores in depth the theme of salvation/idealization of mankind vs. man's evolution/living a lie, and only touches on themes like the American dream, the value of life, and the freedom of choice.

These themes are uncovered through the differing perspectives of the six (super)heroes (though maybe not everyone can relate to at least one of those characters). Each one of the characters seems to represent a fundamental (most likely dark) part of human psyche. I guess that could explain why I sympathize with Jackie Earle Haley's Rorschach (a truth and justice absolutist), who gets some of the best lines. I also had a soft spot for Patrick Wilson's Nite Owl II (an idealist and a "squeamish" humanist of some sort), who gets what is probably the best line given the context of the entire film (spoiler alert, I guess) - "You haven't idealized mankind; you've deformed it! You've mutilated it! That's your legacy. ... That's the real practical joke."

However, some characters are not well explored (Ozymandias) and at times some of their points are rather confusing and not fully developed (Dr. Manhattan). Then there come a little more serious flaws: over-stylization in some places (that includes some slightly overdone acting); the presence of weak lines; lack of improvement on the graphic novel (some ridiculous outfits are still there, loyal to the novel); awkwardly done Nixon make-up job; the inclusion of over-played classics; and an overly long intro. Yep. The film-makers bit off more than they could chew.

Nevertheless, I'm not saying it's bad, though it could be better. Oddly enough, for all the merits it actually has, I do recommend it. As you watch it, don't over-analyze the content of the film until you get to the very end. Seeing those short clips on YouTube isn't enough to get an idea of the quality of the film's content, though they were enough for me to decide on finally renting it.

================================================================================

* That was when I finally remembered what Director's Cut means. Good thing I rented it (for the same price I could rent the original version cut for theaters).

Edited by Dayvenkirq - August 11 2014 at 17:08
threaz View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote threaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2014 at 16:44
The Silence - Ingmar Bergman. 

Its content doesn't appeal to me at all. Bored me unbelievably. Its problematic aspects are kinda alien to me. I prefer both "Through a Glass Darkly" and "Winter Light" to this one. 
mithrandir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mithrandir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2014 at 19:03
Blue Valentine - don't know why by I was grossed out every time these two were kissing, meh movie over all 5/10

last nights double feature:
El Topo - first time for my girlfriend, can't help but think if they shorted the 3rd act a bit it would have been better - 8/10

Re-Animator - another schlock classic from the 80s, - 7/10
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2014 at 05:38
Capricorn One

In many ways the peak of the 70s govt./conspiracy-thrillers and among the most outlandishly absurd and deliciously plausible ~ given a country still smarting from Kennedy and barely recovering from Vietnam and Watergate ~ Peter Hyams brings all his experience as a reporter to a script that draws from the No-Moonies claims but goes much deeper into an entirely believable setting where a country that had become an industry/war state was now willing to kill its own in order to survive.    Though mainly a quick-paced action flick, Capricorn One also explores corruption, patriotism, loyalty, psychology, and ethics.   Throw in Jerry Goldsmith's mercurial score, great performances from Elliot Gould and cast, a spectacular helicopter chase through the Texas desert, and one of the most memorable out-of-control car scenes in film history and you've got some compelling stuff if a bit contrived, as relevant today as in 1977.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2014 at 02:18
No Way Out

Despite the inexplicably positive reviews, this remake of The Big Clock is insipid, tedious political suspense with a young and bumbling Kevin Costner running around D.C. trying to save the day.   The cheap electronic score doesn't help.   Avoid. 
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2014 at 02:45
Mrs. Doubtfire Big smile
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2014 at 02:58
^ OK ... what can you tell us about it? Your opinion, any merits it has, etc. ... anything ... ?
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2014 at 03:08
^^ OK, Gaganov. It was a funny yet touching story about a man who loved his kids so much he would do anything to be with them including dress up like an Old Hag just to see and be close to them.

Edited by ProgMetaller2112 - August 17 2014 at 23:27
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2014 at 20:41
- "Your accent's a bit muddled".

- "Oh, well, so's your tan".

Edited by Atavachron - August 17 2014 at 22:13
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2014 at 03:37
The Amazing Spider-Man 2

Though the dazzlingly talented Andrew Garfield gives another perfect performance as Peter Parker, this one is only a decent follow-up to the very good Amazing Spider-Man.   Jamie Foxx pumps out the voltage as Electro and Dane DeHaan excellent as Harry Osborn but the film reads like the average Marvel comic, is laden with too much romantic sentiment and after several years of superhero flicks, TASM 2 doesn't quite deliver the way one would hope.   A good attempt at an increasingly limited character.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 02:48
In the Line of Fire

This polished suspense thriller has held up pretty well since its debut in '93 and saw the gelling of John Malkovich's mainstream film career with an electric performance as an ex-CIA killer targeting the Prez, Clint Eastwood an aging and wheezing Secret Serviceman, and an aspiring Renee Russo at her sexiest.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2014 at 04:17
The Presidio

Bland crime drama set at the San Francisco army base with Mark Harmon doing his best Tom Cruise imitation saved only by a beaming Sean Connery as a tough military policeman partnering to solve the shooting of a young female M.P.   Would've made a decent TV movie in 1980.   Pretty much stinks as a feature film.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 05:03
The Eiger Sanction

In what has to be one of Clint Eastwood's most meager efforts as director and star, this adaptation makes mincemeat out of the Trevanian novel, starts as a lukewarm spy flick, limps through an extraneous midsection and ends up a mediocre outdoor adventure.  With the same mistimed pace of the similar Firefox, it would be awhile before Eastwood would hit his stride as a filmmaker.   On the other hand if you were in a cable-less motel room far from home and the only thing on was news and religious programming, The Eiger Sanction would be a gift from Heaven.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 20:46
Anyone by any chance saw the '81 149-minute or the '85 293-minute version of Das Boot?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 20:51
I think I tried to watch the 149 min version but found it hard to get into.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2014 at 02:05
^ I've read from reviews on IMDb.com that it's filled with tedium, supposedly to add to the "realistic" factor. I take it that in your eyes the tedium didn't really increase any sort of tension between the characters in the film.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2014 at 02:30
^ exactly, and it doesn't encourage one to see the extended version
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 132133134135136 215>