Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 133134135136137 216>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2014 at 04:31
The Beguiled

A surprisingly tonic spell is still cast by this third partnership of Don Siegel and Clint Eastwood about a wounded Northern soldier recovering at a girl's boarding school in the South during the Civil War.   The contrast between the sympathy we feel for Eastwood's vulnerable predicament and the resentment rightly felt by the women he takes advantage of keeps the tension going as the film gradually becomes a house of horrors that's effectiveness has rarely been equaled in cinema.   Makes Misery look like a holiday.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2014 at 04:54
^ Sounds like it has a bizarre plot after I've read the synopsis on Wikipedia.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - August 30 2014 at 04:55
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2014 at 05:17
the early 70s was a very weird time in movies, human perversion, rape, incest were no longer hinted at, and a growing drug culture made it even weirder

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2014 at 05:34
Film critic Nathan Rabin said something about how the early 1970s had all the decadence and experimentation of the 1960s but none of that decade's optimism or faith in progress, and that's why so many interesting films came out of that era.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2014 at 05:40
I'd agree with that, a dark but honest period, actually I think it was one of the greatest times for movies;  Straight Time, Panic in Needle Park, French Connection just to name a few.

mithrandir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mithrandir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2014 at 23:10
70s (and early 80s to a lesser degree) is my favorite era for movies
mithrandir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mithrandir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2014 at 23:19
The Good the Bad and the Weird -  absurd Honk Kong era John Woo, meets Sergio Leone, meets Big Trouble in Little China,  this was pretty much nonstop fun and each of the 3 main characters were interesting, especially "the weird"  8/10, maybe even higher the more I think about it

Guardians of the Galaxy - yeah, it was pretty fun, liked the raccoon and tree best, lot of eye candy,  I don't think I like it as much as others, but I'll have to think about this one more 6.5/10 sort of...?
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Intruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2014 at 12:19
Anyone see David Mamet's House of Games?  A great story with a great twist, which is Mamet's calling card.

Can't believe someone above mentioned Straight Time, the Dustin Hoffman just-out-of-prison tale.  Not a classic by any stretch, but it has that gritty realism and full on desponency that we just don't see much of in Hollywood anymore. 
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2014 at 20:27
^ well yes I might not call it a 'classic', but it is a spectacular film in its realism.   Not to mention that cast; Harry Dean Stanton, Gary Busey, etc.

Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 04:03
Just watched this piece of work from the 80s out of nostalgia from watching it some time back in the mid-90s:

... : The Legend. An overly sentimental movie for kids with a tad too much sensual "Texan" romance.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - September 03 2014 at 04:04
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2014 at 06:20
Concerning the 1970s being a great decade for bleak films, a week ago I saw...

I very much appreciate the social realism Martin Scorcese brings to the film while keeping the visual style interesting and having the characterization take centre place. Gotta say I prefer his down-to-earth depiction of organized crime in a very businesslike manner to the half-romanticized stereotype you usually see in the movies. Indeed, the main conflict of the story comes from the much more universal themes of people being forced by their community's social structures into expected roles they don't really fit into.

Having read about the somewhat troubled production (a result of the very low budget) first, it was somewhat interesting looking for signs of having to cut around corners. The soundtrack consisting entirely of contemporary pop songs was apparently done because they couldn't afford recording an original score, but I prefer it that way because it adds to the realism.

Edited by Toaster Mantis - February 04 2015 at 11:28
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PrognosticMind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2014 at 07:20
The last movie I saw was "It's a Disaster" (2012) last evening. It wasn't bad; rather funny, but also predictable. In all honesty, it's not something I could write much about, lol.
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"
ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ole-the-first Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2014 at 22:48
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre

Quite atmospheric but sometimes is just so over-the-top it starts to lack any realism. Not a fan of a 'dumbhead teenager' collective character as well, which is unfortunately quite typical for horror flicks.
This night wounds time.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2014 at 23:06
^ the '74 original ?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 01:02
Since he's writing "chain saw" in 2 words I guess that is the case.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 01:27
The Pink Panther   (2006)

In one of the worst and most embarrassing remakes in film history, Steve Martin, who wrote the screenplay, unaccountably destroys this comedy classic, miscasts himself as Clouseau, and under uses his much better and funnier costar Kevin Kline.   A true waste of time, money and talent, The Pink Panther should have a warning at the beginning:  "If you like to laugh, get out now".   Truly awful.
ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ole-the-first Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 11:08
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ the '74 original ?

Yes.
This night wounds time.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2014 at 03:03
I also watched this documentary:

Not what I expected, I had imagined something focusing purely on the ecosystems and the wildlife found within like BBC's Blue Planet series. Instead it's more about the impact of industry and pollution on the world's oceans, as well as conservation efforts, putting things in a very comprehensive historical perspective.

It's rather informative and worth watching, it's just a different documentary than advertised.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2014 at 03:30
^ Haven't seen it but I caught some of the series Earthflight where they spent four years capturing POV footage of birds, pretty amazing stuff.

*frinspar* View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *frinspar* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2014 at 16:45
I might have to check out Planet Ocean. Sounds interesting at least.

I've recently watched "Guardians of the Galaxy" twice. Been a fan of the comic and characters in their various series and appearances, and was stoked when I heard Marvel was including it into their ever-expanding movie universe. It has easily become my favorite Marvel movie so far, with Winter Soldier being a close second. The characters are all just fun and realized perfectly on the screen. The production design and visuals are fantastic, and even beautiful quite often. It's a fantastic space pirate movie about a bunch of misfits who band together to save the galaxy. Nothing too daunting. LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 133134135136137 216>