Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 135136137138139 215>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mithrandir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2014 at 14:07

I kick started my Halloween month viewing with: El jorobado de la Morgue [Hunchback of the Morgue] (1973)

pretty good gothic-horror/exploitation flick, fairly gory, a bit sentimental, a bit clumsy, a small lovecraftian twist, an overall good time...
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2014 at 15:21
Italian and Spanish horror movies from that era tend to be goddamn weird, the narrative structures and visual grammar often operating more by "dream logic" than conventional storytelling. Maybe it's just the influence of Fellini and Buñuel rubbing off.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2014 at 05:46
The Adventures of Robin Hood

From 1938 one of the great adventure flicks bursts with energy and color starred Errol Flynn as Robin leading his mercenaries against the insipid and monstrous Prince John and the Norman bullies.   World-class high adventure that holds up even now.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2014 at 00:49
Gone Girl.

A psych thriller where Rosamund Pike puts her immense talent to create an over-the-top character. Also this is where David Fincher (one of my favorite directors of all time) really blew it for me at the end, creating an ending that is not very believable. In addition to that, a few cuts to me looked rather rushed and/or unnecessary and were there just to pad the film, but that's no big deal. Some were just so absurdly over-the-top to the point of being plain comic, which does not belong in a psychological thriller in my book. Though I have to admit: despite these things, the film still somehow kept me thrilled ... as a thriller should.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - October 14 2014 at 01:01
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2014 at 00:58
^ I'm surprised Affleck actually found a decent script, his history for choosing projects is so poor

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2014 at 01:17
^ Yeah, the script was actually quite impressive in some places.
ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ole-the-first Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2014 at 03:34
Fantastic Mr. Fox is fantastic. Definitely Wes Anderson's finest work I have seen.
This night wounds time.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2014 at 04:19
80's flick `Over The Top' with Sylvester Stallone!

Despite being a mad Sly fan, I'd never actually seen this flick where he enters an arm wrestling competition. Mostly well-acted, but pretty forgettable, with an overdose of sentimentality, and damn his son cries a lot - man up, boy!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 04:10
Sly made some pretty strange career decisions during that decade. See also pretty much the entire running time of Cobra, it's like he made a checklist of everything he thought was really cool back in the mid-1980s and then wrote a film script around it.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 05:00
Toaster, you're aware of the history of `Cobra', that it was essentially Sly's rewriting of the `Beverley Hills Cop' script he was offered?! Think we dodged a bullet there, although I personally love `Cobra' to bits, such a guilty pleasure! Wall to wall action, nice `one-man-army' finale as well. It always cracks me up how the `cult' in that film had no real logical purpose! Have you say...the scenes with Bridget Nielson modelling with the robots was F**KED UP!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ole-the-first Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 05:20
'Cobra' was a funny movie, a good-looking action with silly script, but as a kid I liked it a lot.
This night wounds time.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 05:28
On a related note, Cobra was apparently a huge source of inspiration for my countryman Nicholas Winding-Refn while making Drive. This didn't occur to me at all neither time I watched it, but now I heard him mention it the parallels suddenly stick out: The entire "stoic loner protecting blonde woman from eccentric organized crime" set-up, the visual style that's halfways between 1980s B-action camp and almost avantgarde stylization, the minimalistic synthesizer soundtrack...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ole-the-first Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 05:30
^I always thought that 'Drive' was more of a nod to 'Taxi Driver'.
This night wounds time.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 05:45
I think Drive's a pastiche of 1970s/1980s action/crime films in general, I even caught some nods to Bullitt.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 05:53
I didn't like much that movie: the beggining of the movie sounds very promissing but the character/story development rapidly becomes uninteresting. I think I'll stay with 70's car chase movies. I saw 'Vanishing Point' the other day: it's such a crazy movie Tongue
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 06:11
Speaking of Cobra and how it functions as an unintentional "soul radar" for the weirdest recesses of Stallone's subconsciousness circa 1986, the one and only Nathan Rabin's analysis of that movie is as usual a pro-read. Even goes into detail with how it started out as an alternate-universe Beverly Hills Cop.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 08:18
Thanks for the `Cobra' talk and link, guys, very interesting!

Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

I saw 'Vanishing Point' the other day: it's such a crazy movie Tongue

Sam, I noticed that just got a bluray release on a label that I frequently buy movies from, and I was curious about it. I've never seen it, but in the end I left it, $30 is a bit steep for something I'm not sure I'll totally love.

Says the guy who just bought Stallone's `Over The Top' on bluray!
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 09:02
It's a nice movie with an appropriate soundtrack (R&B, Soul, Classic Rock). I don't know if it's worth the extra cash though. An advice from the person who recommended me this one: don't get the remake, it's awful Tongue
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2014 at 02:41
`Annabelle' , the horror spin-off about the possessed doll from `The Conjuring' movie.

What a terrible film. Barely even a single half-decent scare in the entire film, the story is a grab-bag of every horror movie cliche, the doll is possibly in the film a maximum of 5 minutes (and doesn't actually DO anything), and all the tired frights use big booming soundtrack jolts. No subtlety whatsoever. On the plus side, nice to see a priest portrayed in a modern film that was actually noble and didn't have some perverted secret agenda. Lousy movie.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2014 at 04:24
X-Men: Days of Future Past

Less than impressive chapter with Wolverine's consciousness sent back in time to save the mutants and civilization from the evil Sentinel robots.   Anticlimactic and somewhat dopey, the series continues to limp along waiting for someone to either kill it or pump some new life in.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 135136137138139 215>