Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 136137138139140 215>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2014 at 13:03

In which Alfred Hitchcock plays catch-up with the more explicit modern kind of serial killer movie that he helped create with Psycho, which would afterwards mutate into the slasher. It takes a lot of time setting up the background for the plot and characters, perhaps a bit too many for modern viewers with the protagonist not being a much more pleasant man than the real villain, but a lot of those nuances end up paying off and really adding to the emotional impact once the conflict escalates. The camera work and "visual grammar" is also first rate, quite a few central scenes rely on the peculiar rhythm of the camera movement and editing to disturb so much.

I also quite appreciated the few touches of humour, which are actually very funny without coming across as out-of-place.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ole-the-first Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2014 at 13:23
^'Frenzy' was filmed on the screenplay by Antony Shaffer, who's also written many cult classic thrillers. I would recommend also 'Sleuth' (1972, starring Laurence Olivier and the great Michael Caine) in case if you didn't see this, and of course 'The Wicker Man'. I also adore few Poirot movies (starring Peter Ustinov) based on Shaffer's script.
This night wounds time.
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Garten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2014 at 06:13
Noah

Errrrmmm...

Well....

It's entertaining, certainly. Very well made with cracking effects & cinematography, without doubt...

I have to say, it's been a while since I read the Old Testament, so I'll put my forgetting the following elements in the story down to old age:

1 - Rock Monsters/Watchers/Angels (or as I prefer to call them, stone Ents)

2 - Epic battle before the flood with the entities in #1 above acting like doormen denying entry to the ark to sinners (presumably for wearing sandals).

3 - Primitive firearms being used by the sinner-king to crack the stone skin/armour of the entities in #1

4 - The sinner king stowing away on the ark, being looked after & fed by Noah's son, Ham then recovering from an open leg fracture in time to have a fight to the death with Noah.

As I say, it has been a while since I read the bible, so it would be easy to forget such minor detail.

All the above aside - forget it's a re-telling of an epic tale, switch your brain off & go along for the ride; ridiculously entertaining, unintentionally funny in places but still very well made - there is a particularly chilling scene where those on the ark have to listen to the screams of those drowning outside.

Yep - recommended (sort of)

Edited by Jim Garten - October 21 2014 at 06:15

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2014 at 06:22
...so no two-headed animals then...Unhappy 

I was hoping it was an epic Hollywood remake of "Noah and Nelly... in SkylArk". Disapprove
What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Garten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2014 at 07:09
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

...so no two-headed animals then

Difficult to say - the king of the sinners took to killing & eating some of the animals during his recuperation, much to the consternation of Ham (there must be a joke somewhere about a jewish guy called Ham... ), so one assumes these included two headed animals, unicorns, honest politicians & Dream Theater vocalists with good voices

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2014 at 07:51
Nice review JimLOL

I may have to see that for myself.
Truth be told - I don't think I've ever watched a film with Russell Crowe in it without being somewhat entertained (Master & Commander not includedDead). Conversely, like it's never a guarantee for great film-making having Samuel L. Jackson included in a movie *wink wink* Snakes on a Plane.
My fave of his though (Crowe) has to be the overlooked Cinderella Man, which in mind is among the very best boxing movies ever made. Ohh and it also features one of the most unjustly overlooked actors, Paul Giamatti as the infamous Joe Gould. Wonderful performance from him.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2014 at 08:40
I liked Crowe in A Beautiful Mind but never been a big fan of his and I prolly won't bother with Noah. Giamatti was excellent in the cable  tv mini-series John Adams.

Has anyone seen The Raven with John Cusack about the last days of Edgar Allan Poe..? Didn't get great reviews but it sounds intriguing.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2014 at 21:18
Noah was surprisingly good; forget the Bible, it's cinema.   In fact I'd wager the film theorizes the past far more accurately and interestingly than the book.

Two-headed animals?   Well there's a sort of dog/bird chimera near the start, but I think it only has one head.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Garten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 03:27
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Noah was surprisingly good; forget the Bible, it's cinema.  

Absolutely - and entertaining cinema at that.

Could be interesting when Ridley Scott's 'Exodus' is released later this year with Christian Bale as Moses:

Not the usual cinematic image you associate with Moses

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 03:53
well I'll always give Ridley a shot
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 04:43
3 Days of the Condor

Potentially smart spy flick deflates into a third-rate thriller with Robert Redford the unlikely target of a secret hit squad in the CIA.   Cut down from the six days in the novel, this thing may've been edgy and modern in 1975 but has lost most of its credibility and barely holds up against similar films of its time.   Max von Sydow characteristically brilliant as a freelance killer but is unable to salvage this dated political commentary.

Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 04:50
I might have asked this question before in the thread, but what are people's main sources for film criticism around here? For more upscale fare I like the Danish-language film magazine Ekko, it also helps that one of their reviewers I tutored when she started at college and Ordet (The Word) which is the official student publication from the Copenhagen University's film studies department, as well as Pitchfork Media's new film review site The Dissolve. The strange thing is that I am not a very big fan of PFM and find the writing at The Dissolve to be much higher quality.

When it comes to genre work, I like Cinematic Happenings Under Development and Dread Central. Empire Magazine are also quite neat for their indepth coverage of films currently under production, and their sheer Britishness makes them stand out from the pack not just regarding cultural perspective but also the films they cover. Quite a few UK films you don't hear about in the international or Continental European press get way more coverage in Empire.

Speaking of genre cinema, for the real obscure work all the sites under the sect of the B-Masters Cabal can be recommended as can Mondo Exploito. (which is not safe for work at all)
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 04:54
^ I have none, I find them unhelpful, but you're right I'm sure there are many good films you wouldn't see covered elsewhere.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 05:14
Hmm. When it comes to more "serious" discourse regarding film I actually prefer film history books focusing on specific fields of expertise like particular countries, artists, genres or "movements". That's one reason I didn't refer to that many publications or websites when it came to more 'highbrow' film.

For the record, one of the Danish publications Ordet printed an article studying the effect of film criticism upon audience tastes and they found that in Denmark at least it's a very small segment of the filmgoing public who actually read reviews on a regular basis. Most filmgoers are more driven by loyalties to specific directors, actors, series etc.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 05:22
It's funny, sometimes I'll glance at the blurbs for a certain film and can gain a sense of whether it's any good or something I'll enjoy; one little blurb that says "A thrill-ride" does not bode well.   But ultimately I have to watch it.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 05:54
I'm frankly coming more and more to view the "review as buying guide" paradigm as obsolete or at least very limited. It has its uses for more obscure films that can be expensive to access, though. For the most part, however, I prefer in depth analysis of film I'm already familiar with, perhaps because that way I don't have to worry about spoilers and can focus on picking up new details in the narrative or layers of theme next time I watch. Writing about the nuts-and-bolts aspects of filmmaking can also add to my appreciation upon rewatch that way too, just more the technical side.

To be blunt, I basically approach film/literature/music criticism from an art historian's viewpoint.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 06:02
So do you feel the need to have seen the bulk of a filmmaker's work before analyzing a particular film?

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 06:38
I can understand where you are coming from Simon. In more ways than one I actually agree. The way media, in general, has become prone to reveal half the movie in either reviews or 30 sec previews is another thing adding to why I don't pay attention to movie reviews any more.
There are even times where (certain) movie goers read up on everything about the given release, so as to not come out the other end looking like a cultural illiterate. The folks who don't really 'get' Kubrick, Lynch, Von Trier and the likes who make "weird" and "impenetrable" flicks, yet they're most likely going to tell you everything they've read about them - although handed over to you as their own words. Brilliant.
A lot of people strike out on cinema's real punch, because they see the media as a way of exerting their own extremely insightful cultural appendage. These folks wouldn't know true art on the screen, if it went up behind them and took a huge chunk out of their arses.

On the other hand, it can help being just a little prepared going into certain film experiences. Before going to watch her first Lynch movie, I told a friend of mine that one of the keys to better "understanding" Lynch was dreams. 'Dreams?' she said. 'Well, I'm not going to tell you anything more my dear. Just remember the word and go watch the movie.' Afterwards she thanked me, had she been by herself and not known about this dreamworld (her new word for it) and how most of what she didn't 'get' somehow mirrored what she imagined dreams are like, - she'd left the theatre in a heartbeat.

Edited by Guldbamsen - October 22 2014 at 06:41
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 08:44

well I'll always give Ridley a shot

Good director but do we need another Biblical epic...?
Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 08:46

3 Days of the Condor

Potentially smart spy flick deflates into a third-rate thriller with Robert Redford the unlikely target of a secret hit squad in the CIA.   Cut down from the six days in the novel, this thing may've been edgy and modern in 1975 but has lost most of its credibility and barely holds up against similar films of its time.   Max von Sydow characteristically brilliant as a freelance killer but is unable to salvage this dated political commentary.

Always enjoyed that film....very entertaining imo though it does seem a bit dated.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 136137138139140 215>