Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 139140141142143 215>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2014 at 08:32
Originally posted by Walton Street Walton Street wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Any Peter Greenaway fans here....?
I've seen The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover. What are some of his better films after that one...?

that's probably his most accessible - god I love Helen Mirren

I saw The Draughtsman's Contract years ago - cant remember much about it.

I have A Zed and Two Noughts, The Belly of an Architect, Drowning by numbers, and Prospero's Books buried in the VHS part of the collection, but I haven't watched them yet

Mirren still looks good after all these years.......Smile

I'll ck out those other Greenaway films you named.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Walton Street View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2014 at 13:29
they were all around the same timeframe so they have a certain consistency .. I didn't realize he was still making films to this day
"I know one thing: that I know nothing"

- SpongeBob Socrates
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2014 at 06:49
in an attempt to clear the senseless hyper-violence of Sin City out of my head I watched some fluff last night :  The Nanny Diaries
Turns out I was in the right mood for it - I got a kick out of it as black and white and obvious as it was.
Good performances all around. Scarlett Johansson's reactions to the things going on around her was engaging  - made me think she's a much better actress than i'd previously realized - and I was surprised to see a younger Chris Evans in the cast. (Captain America)

So that's out of my system now  ..

- SpongeBob Socrates
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2014 at 06:13
Lord of War

Andrew Niccol's composite of arms trafficking follows international gunrunner Nicolas Cage as he peddles weapons and bullets to any government, gang, junta or uprising that pays.   Snappily written but facetiously plotted with Cage's flippant half-stoned swagger entertaining if not terribly convincing. 

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ole-the-first Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2014 at 07:26
^Probably it was the final movie with Cage which wasn't disastrous.
This night wounds time.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ole-the-first Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2014 at 17:36
Pierrot le fou

Seems like I finally discovered for myself what's so great about Jean-Luc Godard. What I have seen from Godard previously left me rather untouched, if not bored, but Pierrot le fou is a real masterwork. It is impossible not to notice its visuals, especially a lot of very stylish colour experiments, and, of course, its poignant postmodernist humour.

Edited by ole-the-first - November 29 2014 at 17:38
This night wounds time.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2014 at 22:06
Just finished watching a horror by the name of The Babadook. Typical supernatural horror but a twist at the end that I never expected. Damn good film.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2014 at 22:36
^ Australian ?
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Person Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2014 at 23:34
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Just finished watching a horror by the name of The Babadook. Typical supernatural horror but a twist at the end that I never expected. Damn good film.

I thought it was unusual for a horror movie in that it had a real story and characters.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2014 at 14:14
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ Australian ?
Surprisingly we can make good horror flicks here !!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2014 at 20:18
^ I could tell by the title
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2014 at 23:50
^ - Funny, I thought the name 'Babadook' was quite lame for a sinister spirit thingy........
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2014 at 00:00
it sounds like an aboriginal instrument; "Ktkm'nii will play the babadook tonight".
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2014 at 06:31
Originally posted by ole-the-first ole-the-first wrote:

^Probably it was the final movie with Cage which wasn't disastrous.

not really ..

Joe is a good film:

- SpongeBob Socrates
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2014 at 06:38
- Love Actually

Predictable romantic comedy with a great cast. Sucky in parts but very entertaining throughout.

- The Wolf Of Wall Street

Scorsese = extremely well acted, beautifully shot, but ultimately the same film he keeps making over and over again.

- My Life In Ruins

A wee romantic comedy starring the girl from My Big Fat Greek Wedding.
A quiet little film that was way more fun than I thought it would be despite the contrived charm.

Edited by Walton Street - December 01 2014 at 06:38

- SpongeBob Socrates
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2014 at 07:01

Terminator 3 - Rise of the Machines

I used to stick up for this film.  I'm mesmerised by Claire Danes and the big chase sequence with the huge truck was amazing - but this time around the flaws really stood out.
A lot of stupid classless choices not seen in the first two.
oh well ..

The Golden Compass

I've been listening to the sequel (the subtle knife) on CD to distract me from my long commute and found that I've been enjoying both the prose and the content - so it put me in the mood to revisit the first film (the only film - as it did so poorly they weren't about to spend a penny on the sequels - and that's a shame)

Knowing now what the broader scope of the story is - I enjoyed the movie more this time, but the richness is still centred more around the visuals instead of the characters which - although gorgeous to look at - betrays the books

Edited by Walton Street - December 03 2014 at 07:01

- SpongeBob Socrates
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2014 at 08:48

Master director Francois Truffaut's swansong, a pitch-perfect homage to "wrongly accused man on the run" film noir in the vein of Dark Passage. Truffaut replicates the visual style and plot structure of those films perfectly, right down with sneaking a lot of visual homages to specific noir classics (as well as Hitchcock's Frenzy) into the cinematography. The story also feels original enough as it's unusual for that genre at that time told from the perspective of a female protagonist, hence approaching the genre's gender roles in a different manner than usual.

(it's also known as The Long Saturday Night and Confidentially Yours in other English-language markets, I'm using the UK title as it's closest to the original French)
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ole-the-first Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2014 at 12:22

- Love Actually

Predictable romantic comedy with a great cast. Sucky in parts but very entertaining throughout.
The only thing I liked in that film was Bill Nighy. Even Alan Rickman wasn't topping the bill here and looked kinda uninspired.
This night wounds time.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2014 at 12:28
Originally posted by ole-the-first ole-the-first wrote:

- Love Actually

The only thing I liked in that film was Bill Nighy. Even Alan Rickman wasn't topping the bill here and looked kinda uninspired.

I agree 100% re Rickman, but I did like a couple of the other characters.
Nighy was the reason I picked it up in the first place

the worst was the naked performers - completely unnecessary - we got it, there are all kinds of funny situations for love.

i enjoy nudity when appropriate - i just dislike really obvious gags/points that fall dead flat.

- SpongeBob Socrates
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2014 at 01:58

Terminator 3 - Rise of the Machines
I used to stick up for this film.  I'm mesmerised by Claire Danes and the big chase sequence with the huge truck was amazing - but this time around the flaws really stood out.
A lot of stupid classless choices not seen in the first two.
oh well ..

I tend to agree, even T2 as good as it was couldn't hold up to the spellbinding first

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 139140141142143 215>