Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 140141142143144 215>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2014 at 07:16
American Psycho

I don't know why I held off on seeing this film for so long. Probably because I really don't like films with an emphasis on violence toward women, which is what I misunderstood this movie to be.

I've heard hints in the last couple of years that it was something else altogether and was pleasantly surprised to see that it was pretty much a dark comedy - and not even that dark - it was all out funny.

I think it has more in common with Fight Club than any other movie - violence born out of the apathy and disgust that the more sentient of us have for the daily soul sucking grind.
(I haven't read either book - that was just my interpretation)

Edited by Walton Street - December 04 2014 at 07:16
"I know one thing: that I know nothing"

- SpongeBob Socrates
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2014 at 09:57
I have read the book, and the film is very different - perhaps as a result of having a female director and screenwriter it's a lot more focused on satirizing masculine vanity. A lot of the grisliest stuff in the book was left out, or not described anywhere in as much detail.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Walton Street View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2014 at 22:54
Interstellar 

holy crap.

I'm not easy to impress - this film was incredible.

- SpongeBob Socrates
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2014 at 22:46
Beyond the Edge

Reasonably engaging mix of original footage and dramatization illustrates Edmund Hillary and legendary sherpa Tenzing's historic climb to the summit of Everest in May of 1953.   Not the best mountaineering film I've ever seen but not bad.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
mithrandir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mithrandir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2014 at 00:58
Da Blues Brothers - 8/10
couldn't get some of these tunes out of my head afterwards! 
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Person Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2014 at 00:48
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0d/Enemy_poster.jpg
...huh.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2014 at 06:40
Royal Flash - 1975 Malcolm McDowell

I found this in a sales bin on the weekend - I had no idea it existed.

Also starring Alan Bates and Oliver Reed .... 3 of my favourite actors in one film..

fun british comedy based on the Harry Flashman books

- SpongeBob Socrates
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2014 at 13:39
Silverado - i revisit this from time to time. Not as good as Tombstone as far as modern westerns go - but it's very entertaining.

The Anderson Tapes : Weird little Sean Connery film i've never seen before that boasts the credit: Introducing Christopher Walken.

An unorthodox heist caper with an oddball score and a straight forward - almost dull -  story made interesting by the performances.

based on a story by Lawrence Sanders, directed by Sydney Lumet (1971)
weird.
very weird

- SpongeBob Socrates
bloodnarfer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bloodnarfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2014 at 13:52
Whiplash [9/10]

An aspiring jazz drummer suffers his incredibly abusive director because he knows it's exactly what he needs to succeed.
Something about this movie really clicked with me.  It seemed pretty relevant in today's world where soccer moms everywhere claim everyone's a winner and your best is good enough, etc.  Awesomely shot and it really makes you feel the intensity music.  

MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MillsLayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2014 at 16:49
Originally posted by A Person A Person wrote:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0d/Enemy_poster.jpg
...huh.

Good, or no?  I have this on my Nook, but haven't watched it yet.
ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ole-the-first Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2014 at 23:23
Still Crazy

Quite funny British comedy starring Bill Nighy and Stephen Rea.
This night wounds time.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2014 at 04:47
Rounders

Though this buddy/caper flick is largely entertaining, one does get the impression an outstanding script was compromised to suit the quick-process industry standard and two colorful characters cut down to size by the banalities of Damon and Norton.   Still, the language and minutia of card sharking is its own lead player and is enough to carry a movie that's potential outshines its reality.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2014 at 06:30
Originally posted by ole-the-first ole-the-first wrote:

Still Crazy

Quite funny British comedy starring Bill Nighy and Stephen Rea.

fantastic film

- SpongeBob Socrates
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2014 at 06:33
Batman Begins
The Dark Night
The Dark Knight Rises

felt like revisiting.
One thing that stood out this time - I like Nolan's fight scenes.
Most directors/editors these days present a hyper kinetic fight scene edited in such a way that
you could make 2 old grannies look like bruce lee fighting himself.

The batman fight scenes - while the action is quick - the camera is not too close and you see the finished moves.
Not sure if Bale did his own fighting but whoever did it looked good ..

Edited by Walton Street - December 15 2014 at 06:34

- SpongeBob Socrates
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 00:47
^ the choreography was quite interesting, especially with Bane--  two large, well-armored combatants with few martial arts or other traditional fighting; not necessarily real-world either, but very good.   I love the Nolans' interpretation of the character, they seem to be the only ones willing to take a superhero seriously.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 04:52
Snowpiercer 

Highly original future-shock adapted from the GN Le Transperceneige puts us on a perpetually moving train traversing a frozen, post-catastrophe Earth and follows the uprising of the trains' lower classes.   Refreshingly unique and with a distinct Asian worldview, Seolgungnyeolcha possesses an acuity not often seen in modern action movies and is as engaging as it is disturbing.   Tilda Swinton is hysterically chilling as the sadistic controller who manages the hordes, and John Hurt equally good as their spiritual leader.

Edited by Atavachron - December 21 2014 at 06:00
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 04:59
I like everything I've seen by the director, so I should probably get around to viewing Snowpiercer at some point. That kind of violent dystopian SF seems to be very popular right now, probably because the world's economy has spent the last 6 years in the toilet. (just like the late 1970s and early 1980s, last time that stuff was really popular)
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 05:19
I was surprised to see Captain America in the lead, he was actually good-- I think he'd be a far better Bruce Wayne than Affleck.   God I'm dreading that.
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 05:23
^ Yeah, I remember you saying something like Affleck making poor project choices. I think I can already see that: a fan fiction universe-crossover film.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 05:26
^ unfortunately people keep hiring him, I don't get it  Confused
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 140141142143144 215>