Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 141142143144145 215>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 05:27
I get the impression that Ben Affleck stars in blockbuster action movies and rom-coms mostly to finance the more serious crime/espionage thrillers that he really wants to make. (Gone Baby Gone, The Town, Argo etc)
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 05:29
^ A valid theory.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 05:34
maybe but he stinks, even Matt Damon would be a better Wayne
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ole-the-first Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 06:36
The Butcher Boy

It's like an Irish Clockwork Orange. More a social satire than a dystopian science fiction though. Neil Jordan at his best, excellent supporting cast featuring Stephen Rea and Brendan Gleeson.
This night wounds time.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 06:50
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Agreed. 
My own take on this is that Ben Affleck often is referred to as the "nicest guy in Hollywood", which makes for a comfy and stress-less work milieu......that and he's supposed to be a hunk, and those hunks sell tickets. 
I did enjoy Argo, but it wasn't because of Affleck's spellbinding performance.

The man is about as talented as a human macaw - regardless of how sympathetic he comes across in real life.

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 07:21
Affleck is a much better director than actor if you ask me, and also turns out his best performances in those films he himself directed. Like I say, there's quite a gap between the kind of films he has to do in order to pay the bills and what he actually wants to do.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 07:45
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Agreed. 
My own take on this is that Ben Affleck often is referred to as the "nicest guy in Hollywood", which makes for a comfy and stress-less work milieu......that and he's supposed to be a hunk, and those hunks sell tickets. 
I did enjoy Argo, but it wasn't because of Affleck's spellbinding performance.

The man is about as talented as a human macaw - regardless of how sympathetic he comes across in real life.

Sympathetic pssh, I sympathize with his missing skill and presence as an actor.  You could be right though, it's possible Bale was no picnic to work with.   But Chris Evans would be perfect; he's hunky, he can act, and now he has black hair, so...

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 07:54
I'm pretty sure I've read that Bale is something of a diva, who quite frequently makes demands to the production and/or director. The problem with that is that actors are and have always been pawns in a game of chess - or so they should be imo. They're like models in that respect. Sure they should be encouraged to add their twang and magic to the role they play - or conversely interact with the director in certain scenes so as to maximise whatever outcome the scene is in need of, just like Kubrick used to do.
BUT they are in essence a blank piece of paper in need of a director's paint.
90% of the big Hollywood productions seem to have forgotten this aspect to filmmaking.

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 07:58
^ Hmm, indeed, that would explain much of the questionable casting that occurs.   But I tend to agree; actors are actors and filmmakers are filmmakers, nothing wrong with that.  

A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Person Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 10:43

Snowpiercer 

Highly original future-shock adapted from the GN Le Transperceneige puts us on a perpetually moving train traversing a frozen, post-catastrophe Earth and follows the uprising of the trains' lower classes.   Refreshingly unique and with a distinct Asian worldview, Seolgungnyeolcha possesses an acuity not often seen in modern action movies and is as engaging as it is disturbing.   Tilda Swinton is hysterically chilling as the sadistic controller who manages the hordes, and John Hurt equally good as their spiritual leader.

That movie was fun but I couldn't help but keep thinking things like "man i hope no one breaks the toilet because it's going to be a long ride."
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2014 at 05:43
Magic in the Moonlight

Sweet little period piece from Woody Allen circa 1925 has Colin Firth a skeptical illusionist bent on debunking an upstart young psychic who begins to intrigue him.   Full of great old-time jazz and robust dialog, Magic in the Moonlight is about what, in the end, all of Woody's films are about: Romance.      
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2014 at 16:59
In the last few evenings I have watched:
Divergent
Captain America - The Winter Soldier
Lone Survivor
Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes
Thor - The Dark World
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2014 at 17:56
1978's `Convoy' by Sam Peckinpah and starring Kris Kristofferson. Just had a pristine beautiful Bluray release down here in Australia.

A bit of a guilty pleasure, it's a craptastic tale of truckers verses corrupt cops. I may be straight as an arrow, but damn Kristofferson is smouldering in it! Such a cool swagger.

Terrific and fun first half is later let down by an overly serious and plodding second half, and poor old Ali McGraw is just dreadful in it, so deadly serious and seeing FAR too much substance in a throwaway adventure movie.

Plenty of opportunities for the renegade director's trademark slow-motion though, so all good!

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - December 31 2014 at 18:00
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2015 at 11:39
The Worlds End.......minor comedy with Brit guys doing a pub crawl in their home town years later who meet up with aliens and the 'end of the world'. Mildly amusing...
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MillsLayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2015 at 16:25
One of my Christmas presents (blu-ray!) and one of my favorite Sam Rockwell movies!

TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2015 at 21:36
I really liked Sam Rockwell in Seven Psychopaths and Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2015 at 04:57
The Equalizer

Lethargic and predictable revenge/action with Denzel Washington as a retired secret operative who starts cleaning things up Death Wish-style, and is loosely based on the 1980s television series.   Disappointing generally, though Marton Csokas steals the show as a psychopathic Russian enforcer.

Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2015 at 05:15
Over the week I've watched two very different movies about scientific expeditions where things didn't quite go as planned.

Surprised at how well the underwater photography holds up to this day, even though it's probably not as groundbreaking as back in 1954, and how convincingly the title monster is realized. The story's really bare-bones, but the conflict between the characters in how to deal with the creature is still somewhat well thought out.

Kinda reminds me of a more mainstream-friendly version of some of Werner Herzog's movies about mad explorers and colonists, in how it seems to focus on Thor Heyerdahl's ambition teetering unto the edge of full-blown hubris as well as the conflict it creates with the other members of the Kon-Tiki expedition. It obviously didn't wow me the same way as Aguirre the Wrath of God or Fitzcarraldo, but I liked that it struck an agreeable balance between that kind of film and a more accessible Hollywood adventure epic.

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2015 at 05:45
The Theory of Everything - The Extraordinary Story of Jane and Stephen Hawking

...it's a romantic biopic based upon the biography by Jane Wilde Hawking, so don't expect any science (or even accuracy it appears as most of the events depicted seem to take place in Cambridge whereas the reality was they lived in Cambridge, London and Pasadena). While my wife enjoyed the film, I was less impressed, and I suspect that it appeals more to women than men as most of the emphasis is on the relationship side of Hawking's life, for example his (career defining) conflict with Hoyle over Big Bang vs Steady State is completely overlooked.

However it is enjoyable enough and superbly acted by the lead actors Eddie Redmayne and Felicity Jones with David Thewlis turning in a work-a-day performance as Denis Sciama.

Personally I preferred the 2004 BBC docu-drama staring Benedict Cucumberbatch and John Sessions (who was surprisingly good as Sciama) even though it only covers the three years of Hawking PhD studies, his early years with Jane and the beginning of his illness. Cumberbatch manages to portray Hawking's single-minded intensity and the sharpness of his intellect far more convincingly that Redmayne, though it has to be said Redmayne does capture the playful side of Hawking's character rather well - there are some laugh-out-loud moments in The Theory of Everything such as Hawking as a Dalek.

Edited by Dean - January 04 2015 at 05:46
What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2015 at 05:50
I saw the Kon-Tiki flick as well Simon and my reaction perfectly mirrors the one you had. Good movie, but I'd rather go watch Aguirre again if I'm in the mood for the explorer vs megalomaniac conundrum.

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 141142143144145 215>