Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 146147148149150 215>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 06:44
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

Originally posted by Walton Street Walton Street wrote:

been laid up with a bad back since noon saturday so i did a marathon and finished the last 4 Harry Potter films

Then i watched A Walk Among the Tombstones.

good film
I'm a fan of the Matthew Scudder novels, but after seeing the film travesty of "Eight Million Ways To Die" I'm nervous to give another film adaptation a shot...

it was a good low key crime thriller .. fairly gritty - it reminded me of more of a 70's flick which were my favourites.

"I know one thing: that I know nothing"

- SpongeBob Socrates
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 07:29
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 14:16
Cable TV is a curse. Or at least the scrolling channel
guide is. You come across something that you had no
intention of watching and before you know it...
*frinspar* View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *frinspar* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 17:10
Love that movie. It's a great Western, and a great tribute to the genre.
Walton Street View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 17:18
Originally posted by *frinspar* *frinspar* wrote:

my second favourite modern western after Tombstone

- SpongeBob Socrates
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 17:25
Back on the Bonds ..

just watched Connery's first return: Diamonds Are Forever.

Not a lot of 'oomph' but still fun...

Ive noticed a few interesting Genre things in the last few films.

Thunderball - the man in charge of the underwater scenes was Rico Browning.
He played the Creature From the Black Lagoon (in water)

You Only Live Twice - the screenplay was written by Roald Dhal

Diamonds Are Forever - one of Shady's goons was Sid Haig.  ("i have a bruddah")

haven't seen him yet but Jeremy Bulloch (Boba Fett) was in 3 different Bonds.

(i met all of those guys, except for Roald Dhal  - met Richard Kiel just before he passed as well ..

a ton of history in that franchise

- SpongeBob Socrates
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 17:53

Originally posted by *frinspar* *frinspar* wrote:

my second favourite modern western after Tombstone
Definitely a classic with an excellent cast. Kevin Kostner looks like he's about twenty years old.
Regardless of how many times I have seen it I had to watch it again when I saw it on the cable guide.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 21:02
First Men in the Moon

Among the best of the British steampunk sci-fi flicks and a ton of fun, this H.G. Wells classic somehow gets away with the absurd plot which is both completely unscientific and yet allows our suspension of belief as we follow a mad doctor, his lunar sphere, and an unsuspecting couple to the center of the moon.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2015 at 07:31
Live and Let Die

The first Roger Moore outing and the first film to noticeably be influenced by what was going in in the theatres at the time - in this case the 70's Blaxploitation films

(later on Moonraker would suffer from its attempt to compete with Star Wars and become the worst film in the franchise - which is ironic as it was the best novel in my opinion)

Live and Let Die was a little rough but had a lot of great moments and Moore looks pretty comfortable in the role, letting loose with some of the more dirty innuendo asides.

- SpongeBob Socrates
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2015 at 10:45
^ An embarrassing, racist, and dated film--  Fleming at his most ignorant and a low point in the Bond franchise.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2015 at 13:01
Another story where the main character comes 
out of retirement for one reason or another.
But, if they can do it and the movie goes 
keep going to their movies, why not?
A highlight for me was Olga Kurylenko
since I've liked all of the roles she has
played.
There will also be a sequel.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2015 at 14:01
Originally posted by TeleStrat TeleStrat wrote:

Another story where the main character comes 
out of retirement for one reason or another.
But, if they can do it and the movie goes 
keep going to their movies, why not?
A highlight for me was Olga Kurylenko
since I've liked all of the roles she has
played.
There will also be a sequel.

i didn't mind it at all.
I'd never heard of it so i saw it blind without expectations

Preferred him in The Matador though

- SpongeBob Socrates
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2015 at 06:52
The Man With the Golden Gun

This was my first Bond ever.
Didn't realize until last night that this was heavily influenced by Enter the Dragon
I guess following trends was a Bond trend - more than i'd realized.

Had I seen it for the first time last night I would have been thrilled to see Christopher Lee as Scaramanga.
Back in the early 70's I had no idea who he was.

A couple of people in this one were (and would be) recognizable cast repeats.
The hired hitman in the opening sequence was a thug in Diamonds are Forever, and Maud Adams would be another Bond Girl in Octopussy.  Apparently she was technically in a 3rd Bond - in a crowd scene but I've never picked her out.

In Diamonds are forever Blofeld was played by Charles Grey who was a different character just a couple of movies before in You Only Live twice.

I find this funny because Felix Leiter was never played by the same actor twice (until the Daniel Craig Bonds) .. he even changes race back and forth.

- SpongeBob Socrates
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2015 at 07:16
The Empire Strikes Back-I just saw it, and saw it really for the first time, as previously I had viewed it in parts only on television in the early 1980s sometime.
                      Definitely not a letdown after the blockbuster first film, and continues it's appeal and success. I was captivated all the way through like I was with the debut film. It, along with the first film, have rejuvenated my interest in the Star Wars films. 
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2015 at 07:34
^ My favourite SW movie Thumbs Up
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2015 at 07:36
the only Star Wars movie I like is the very first one made.

- SpongeBob Socrates
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2015 at 07:45
The only SW movie I don't like is A Phantom Menace, but I'm certainly not alone on this one. I hope Episode VII will not be this disappointing but I won't set my hopes high, since they ended with the good Dark Horse comics and put Marvel in charge again Dead
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2015 at 09:25

i didn't mind it at all.
I'd never heard of it so i saw it blind without expectations

Preferred him in The Matador though
I don't mind older actors playing action heroes either. In fact, since they're all in my basic age group I like the fact that they're still getting out there and getting it done. And as long as the fans are still buying movie tickets and DVDs (like me) then it's all good.
By the way, Sylvester Stallone has another Rocky and another Rambo scheduled for 2016.

I thoroughly enjoyed Matador and thought all three actors in the main roles did excellent jobs. I liked the way Brosnan's  character and Kinnear's character interacted. I've seen other films with assassins or CIA operatives having an identity crisis at the end of their careers.
An enjoyable one for me was John Cusack in War Inc (similarly in Grosse Point Blank and The Numbers Station). 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2015 at 09:27
Grosse Point Blank has one of my favourite fight sequences in it ..
(in the school hallway at the reunion)

no flashy editing - it looked sloppy and desperate and real

- SpongeBob Socrates
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2015 at 09:40
That was a great scene (Jeremy Piven was hilarious). I also liked the final shootout where Dan Aykroyd and his hit men came after Cusack at Minnie Driver's house. Cusack's in the kitchen beating a bad guy over the head with a skillet while trying to convince his former girlfriend that he can change and have a normal life.
I've been a Cusack fan since Better Off Dead.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 146147148149150 215>