Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 147148149150151 215>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2015 at 07:29
The Spy Who Loved Me

I have a soft spot for this one - Saw it with my first love and she bought me the soundtrack shortly after - I still have it.

This is where the movies completely veered off from the source material.
The book (in my opinion) is the worst in the series .. it was an interesting idea (it's told first person by a woman who ends up being saved by Bond in some remote cabin - by a couple of thugs) but it was awful.

Bits of other novels are popping up here and there .. if I remember correctly - the scene where Bonds fish knowledge was challenged was from the Dr. No novel.

There were obvious references to the Jaws craze at the time - demonizing the poor fish once again as a manic killer, and the name of the popular villain

There's the usual dumb stuff ... really dumb (bond watching as 'triple x' gets the gun kicked out of her hand while trying to pick up the microfilm - just to mention one) that smacks of lazy storytelling,
but overall its still entertaining..
"I know one thing: that I know nothing"

- SpongeBob Socrates
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2015 at 07:36
Fury

Satisfying immersion into the living Hell of tank life during the final days of WWII as the US entered Germany, then a cornered and mechanically superior animal defending its territory, Fury is filled with intimate textures of filth, agony and crunching steel, a good young cast, and a fresh take on the utter chaos of combat.   A nice surprise, this one, spoiled only by passages of unnecessary melodrama. 
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2015 at 08:01
Yeah I really liked Fury too. The only real negative were the ridiculous star wars laser beam effects applied to shots. I figure it's done so the audience can tell who is shooting, but damn that really annoyed the crap out of me. I mean, everything else about the movie feels authentic, why on earth include a sci fi element?
Sorta like sticking E.T. in a Jane Austen flick.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Walton Street View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2015 at 08:03
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Yeah I really liked Fury too. The only real negative were the ridiculous star wars laser beam effects applied to shots. I figure it's done so the audience can tell who is shooting, but damn that really annoyed the crap out of me. I mean, everything else about the movie feels authentic, why on earth include a sci fi element?

aren't those tracers? so that the shooter can see the trajectory of their fire at night?

(I haven't seen the film yet)

- SpongeBob Socrates
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2015 at 08:13
They sure do fire off a lot of tracers then....but you could be right. It just doesn't jive with the movie. Like I said, to me it looks like someone decided to mix a bit of Star Wars into the mix.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2015 at 09:00
Originally posted by Walton Street Walton Street wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

aren't those tracers? so that the shooter can see the trajectory of their fire at night?

(I haven't seen the film yet)
I have not seen the movie but it is tracer rounds that you're seeing. The bullets in these rounds have phosphorus tips that glow when fired. They are used in belt loaded machine guns where every fifth round is a tracer.
Their purpose is (as Walton Street said) to let the gunner know where his rounds are going so he can adjust his aim. They are intended for night use because the gunner can't see where his rounds are hitting. They can also be helpful during the day depending on the situation.
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2015 at 09:03
I should add that a lot of gunners don't like tracer rounds because they give away their position at night. The machine gun position always draws enemy fire.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2015 at 06:58
The Judge

Robert Downey Jr. as a slick defense lawyer who finds himself representing his dad, Robert Duvall, a respected smalltown judge accused of murder.   Genuine and funny, poignant at times, grade-A human drama.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2015 at 07:16
Conan the Barbarian

I remember being fairly apologetic the first time I saw it - I've always been a an of the books and mags, and I like the first Conan film a lot, but this one - it's an awful movie.

It looks great - the ingredients for some fun escapism heroic fantasy were all there, but it was horribly cast and the writing is atrocious. So many poor choices.

- SpongeBob Socrates
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2015 at 07:34

Conan the Barbarian

I remember being fairly apologetic the first time I saw it - I've always been a an of the books and mags, and I like the first Conan film a lot, but this one - it's an awful movie.

It looks great - the ingredients for some fun escapism heroic fantasy were all there, but it was horribly cast and the writing is atrocious. So many poor choices.

When my two boys were young they watched this movie every time it came on Pay TV.
For some reason they didn't feel the same about the sequel Conan The Destroyer.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2015 at 07:37
Originally posted by TeleStrat TeleStrat wrote:

Conan the Barbarian

When my two boys were young they watched this movie every time it came on Pay TV.
For some reason they didn't feel the same about the sequel Conan The Destroyer.

I should have specified that I was talking about the 2011 reboot.

I still love the 1984 original

- SpongeBob Socrates
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2015 at 07:44
I had the same feelings about John Carter. Loved the books, especially the Princess of Mars book the film was based on but the film itself was a poor. Oddly, the Asylum mockbuster, John Carter of Mars, was a more enjoyable adaptation by comparison. 
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2015 at 07:49
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

I had the same feelings about John Carter. Loved the books, especially the Princess of Mars book the film was based on but the film itself was a poor. Oddly, the Asylum mockbuster, John Carter of Mars, was a more enjoyable adaptation by comparison. 

see, I LOVED John Carter.

it was just promoted so poorly.  It should have been called John Carter Warlord of Mars ... let the non readers know what the hell it was about.
Plus - the Disney tag these days turns off everyone but parents of small children.

but the content I thought was handled well .. I have no complaints.

another film that was good but rarely seen is Solomon Kane
great job on that one..

Edited by Walton Street - January 30 2015 at 07:55

- SpongeBob Socrates
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Garten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2015 at 09:51

The Spy Who Loved Me

I have a soft spot for this one

So do I - it's a bog in southern Ireland

Not a fan of the old Bonds at all...

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Garten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2015 at 09:52
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Fury
Satisfying immersion into the living Hell of tank life during the final
days of WWII as the US entered Germany, then a cornered and
mechanically superior animal defending its territory, Fury is
filled with intimate textures of filth, agony and crunching steel, a
good young cast, and a fresh take on the utter chaos of combat.   A
nice surprise, this one, spoiled only by passages of unnecessary
melodrama. 

Pretty much with you all the way on this one - Brad Pitt's finest movie for quite a while IMHO

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2015 at 10:00
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

The Spy Who Loved Me

I have a soft spot for this one

So do I - it's a bog in southern Ireland

Not a fan of the old Bonds at all...

i have no problem understanding why people wouldn't like them ..
they're ludicrous and dated as hell .. i think i'm amused by the audacity more than anything else

one thing i do love though - is the John Barry scores

- SpongeBob Socrates
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2015 at 22:52
I took a break this afternoon and put this on.
Great cast and story line.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 00:20
The Two Faces of January

Promising Hitchcock-style thriller with Viggo Mortensen and Kirsten Dunst devolves into an aimless and talkie soap opera stuck in the Greek isles.  The Talented Mr. Ripley  this is not.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 13:48
Collateral Damage

this is the Arnold film that was sensitively shelved for a couple of years due to the attack on the World Trade Centre.

At the time it was quite the departure for him as it wasn't over the top as most of his action films were - it was pretty low key and serious. 

Oblivion

Second viewing - i saw it in the theatre and recently bought it when i found the blu-ray selling for next to nothing. I really enjoyed this film, gorgeous to look at and the story held my interest. I don't think it did that well and i'm not sure why - solid entertainment.

Edited by Walton Street - February 01 2015 at 13:48

- SpongeBob Socrates
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 14:02

Collateral Damage

this is the Arnold film that was sensitively shelved for a couple of years due to the attack on the World Trade Centre.

At the time it was quite the departure for him as it wasn't over the top as most of his action films were - it was pretty low key and serious. 

Oblivion

Second viewing - i saw it in the theatre and recently bought it when i found the blu-ray selling for next to nothing. I really enjoyed this film, gorgeous to look at and the story held my interest. I don't think it did that well and i'm not sure why - solid entertainment.
I liked both of these movies and have them in my collection.
I especially liked Oblivion. It had a great cast and excellent visual effects. The script was well written and the continuity kept my attention to the end.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 147148149150151 215>