Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 155156157158159 215>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2015 at 12:41
Grosse Point Blank mentioned on the previous page is definitely one of my favorite John Cusack dark
humor movies. It is a good story with a great cast and some very funny scenes.
The post reminded me of how much I liked another Cusack film with a similar plot about a professional
assassin starting to doubt his career choice.
That film is War, Inc. again with a great cast including Marisa Tomei, Ben Kingsley, Hilary Duff with
sister Joan and a little bit of Dan Aykroyd. Montel Williams is the voice of Cusack's on board navigation
system and has some great lines.
If you liked Grosse Point and haven't seen War, Inc. you might want to give it a shot.

I wonder, if you take The Numbers Station (a more serious film with an assassin who fails to eliminate
an eye witness) would these three films be considered as Cusack's Assassin Trilogy ?
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2015 at 10:31
Originally posted by TeleStrat TeleStrat wrote:

Grosse Point Blank mentioned on the previous page is definitely one of my favorite John Cusack dark
humor movies. It is a good story with a great cast and some very funny scenes.
The post reminded me of how much I liked another Cusack film with a similar plot about a professional
assassin starting to doubt his career choice.
That film is War, Inc. again with a great cast including Marisa Tomei, Ben Kingsley, Hilary Duff with
sister Joan and a little bit of Dan Aykroyd. Montel Williams is the voice of Cusack's on board navigation
system and has some great lines.
If you liked Grosse Point and haven't seen War, Inc. you might want to give it a shot.

I wonder, if you take The Numbers Station (a more serious film with an assassin who fails to eliminate
an eye witness) would these three films be considered as Cusack's Assassin Trilogy ?

Thanks for the heads up...I'll definitely ck out War Inc and Numbers Station.
Have you seen his film The Raven..?
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2015 at 11:16
^^ I've pretty much seen most his films including The Raven (which I enjoyed).
A must see film for a Cusack fan is The Ice Harvest with Billy Bob Thornton, Connie Nielsen, Oliver Platt and 
Randy Quaid.
Another good one is Frozen Ground with Nicolas Cage and also the thriller 1408 with Cusack as an author
of books about ghost sightings.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2015 at 20:40
^ That last one is a Stephen King story, I think
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2015 at 21:01
^^I did a quick Wiki check and it is a Stephen King story.
The movie started out a little slow but once things began happening in the hotel room
the pace picked up quickly. 
It was not quite on the same level as The Shining but it definitely had it'e moments.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2015 at 02:46
Annie Hall

Hallowed legend it is, and well deserved; each scene meticulously crafted and lighted, Allen's preference for first take only shots barely discernible from a well-labored day of retakes, and sprinkled with the innovations the film was so important for like sudden breaks in narrative and direct-to-camera speaking.   But as poster child for the mid 1970s, it actually hasn't held up as well as many of Woody's later pictures.   Perhaps the film's overexposure and popularity as "the Woody Allen movie to watch" has rendered it lame.   Or maybe, as Norman Mailer liked to point out, society has changed so much that much of the material is, well, immaterial.   Frankly Zelig, Radio Days, Broadway Danny Rose, Hannah and Her Sisters, and Crimes and Misdemeanors are all superior.   It was his period after Annie that he peaked.   Annie Hall is still a damn fine flick, very funny, and surprisingly modern, but in hindsight is clearly far from his best.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2015 at 05:22

Saw the Werner Herzog remake way before the 1922 original. Even more so than the 1979 remake, it is peculiar how Nosferatu can take a loose adaptation of a novel written by an Irishman and make it so characteristically German. I'm starting to wonder how much of the nightmarish visual style characterizing German Expressionist horror films of that era, from the grotesquely caricatured performances over creative use of lighting/shadow to the exaggerated makeup/prop/set design, are results of having to work around the extreme technical limitations of the era making any relative realism difficult in the fantastic genres. Even then, there's some photography I imagine must have been very impressive on a technical level for the 1920s, and the result being that it's one of the most genuinely eerie old horror films I've seen in a long, long while... and horrifying on some profound level of modern civilized humanity's consciousness.

I think it's how it plays up Count Orlok as the personification of everything modern civilization presents itself as having conquered: Feudal tyranny, epidemic diseases like the black plague, occult superstitions that here are presented as turning out to be true... this film really plays like some half-remembered hazy nightmare.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
mithrandir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mithrandir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2015 at 14:12
Nothing Bad Could Happen -  frustrating, hard to feel sorry for this dumb ass as he had all the opportunity in the world to leave and not come back, 7/10

Real Steel - corny, predictable, robots were neat, okay middle of the road fodder - 5.5/10

Horns - different, but kind of lack luster, and overly long, was expecting something more quirky, 5.5/10

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2015 at 11:05
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Mr Turner.

It began, the wife made a pot of tea, we watched some paint dry, <span style="line-height: 18.2000007629395px;">I ate a portion of lemon soufflé,</span><span style="line-height: 18.2000007629395px;"> the wife fell asleep, Timothy Spall grunted and gruffaloed, I </span><span style="line-height: 1.4;">fell asleep, the end credits rolled, we woke up. </span>

Remove the wife and lemon soufflé from the above post and you have my exact opinion of Mr. Turner.
Wow....and to think that I had such high expectations for this flick. One of my fave British painters - one that foresaw impressism by quite a few years, and it still had nigh on zero excitement throughout it's running time. Instead the focus was on everyday life, awkward sex with the maid and all the dull info on painting.
What a disappointment!!!

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2015 at 05:34
Max (2002)
The movie is trying to raise the question had Hitler succeeded as an artist, would he have ever started politics and become the leader of Germany and you know the rest.
Max Rothman is a fictional character, an art dealer that took young Hitler after WW1 ended under his wing and encouraged him to be a better painter. The movie focuses on the friendship of the two and Hitler's early days in politics.
The movie is historically inaccurate as it's a fact that Hitler was no longer interested in painting after he came back from the war.
The movie caused a bit of a scandal as some thought the story tried to humanize Hitler.
Anyway, it was worth a watch, great acting and a good direction.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2015 at 14:11

This was supposedly seen as one of Hitchcock's lesser films when released back in 1958, but there's a reason why this is so revered today: Everything from the film obviously has a lot of work, from the camerawork and performances to the plot developing the characters as well as its use of central themes. Even small details things like the juxtaposition of the nature scenes with modern city life, the possibility of one character having inherited an ancestor's neuroses and small visual details or the constant references to characters' and locations' historical past... you really get a sense of insanity, violence and past sins bubbling up to the surface beneath the fragile surface of modern civilized humanity. This is something that again is incorporated in how the protagonists' personalities break down, as well as the final twists that keep piling up after the halfway mark following that central pattern in structure.

If there's one issue I have with this film, it's how abrupt the climax resolves the story's central conflicts and in some cases leave hanging but I think in some cases that might be part of the point.

Edited by Toaster Mantis - April 03 2015 at 14:12
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ole-the-first Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2015 at 16:32
^ Vertigo is perhaps my all-time favourite Hitchcock movie. Absolute masterpiece.
This night wounds time.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2015 at 16:35
I've been thinking of catching up to the rest of the Hitchcock canon, but after that one and Nosferatu I feel like taking a break from any movies too disturbing.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ole-the-first Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2015 at 16:46
^Well, try something less disturbing from Hitch Smile The 1934 version of The Man Who Knew Too Much is almost a comedy thriller, especially in the second half of the movie, with lots of fun British humour amongst a kidnapping & spy story.
This night wounds time.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2015 at 16:52
I've already seen that one a long time ago. It's more The Birds or perhaps Rope that I wanted to see next. (with Strangers on a Train I'd prefer to read the book first)
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2015 at 16:57

Vertigo is also my favorite Hitchcock film........though Rear Window and North By Northwest are close for me.
Haquin
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2015 at 17:05
Has anyone seen The Grand Budapest Hotel? I found it delightfully twisted. Great performance by Ralph Fiennes, as usual.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ole-the-first Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2015 at 17:11
^Ralph Fiennes was great indeed. A nice movie, but, talking of Wes Anderson, I prefer Fantastic Mr. Fox a tad more.
This night wounds time.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2015 at 03:27
The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

Somehow one expects wonder and magic in a Tolkien adaptation.   But the affection Peter Jackson showed for the material and characters in the Rings films and vaguely seen in the first two Hobbits, is noticeably missing here.   And after years of other high fantasy flicks of varying quality, this one just sorta fades into the background leaving little residual flavor.   Five Armies has its moments now & then but not enough to salvage the ponderous pace.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2015 at 12:31
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Has anyone seen The Grand Budapest Hotel? I found it delightfully twisted. Great performance by Ralph Fiennes, as usual.

The performances were very good by the cast and the 'look' of the film was nice , but I didn't really get all that excited about  the plot of the film.

Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 155156157158159 215>