Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 174175176177178 215>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larkstongue41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2017 at 09:31
The Gospel According to St. Matthew - Pier Paolo Pasolini (1964)

Brought to us by the same guy who directed the monstrosity that is Salo or The 120 Days of Sodom, this film is an accurate and relatively complete depiction of the Gospel of Matthew from the birth to the resurrection of the Christ. The dialogue is apparently faithful to the actual text of the Bible and is integrated in the film most fluidly. Acting is more than decent especially for the characters of Jesus and Judas considering the actors were non-professionals. Music was a real surprise. From Bach to Odetta, the score creates a somewhat eerie feeling that I haven't yet been able to assess as being effective for the purposes of the film or not. Jesus is crucified to Blues music which is somehow both the best and worst choice of music for such an iconic scene.

Overall, I expected the film to go beyond the obvious events of the gospel and I was disapppointed that it did not. But the real value of this film lies in the manipulation of camera angles and movements as well as unusual framing and at that it does an impressive job.

7.5/10
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2017 at 11:37
Originally posted by Larkstongue41 Larkstongue41 wrote:

True, cinema has not aged well compared to music or other art forms. Maybe due to its direct reliance on technology. Still I personally find very little gratification in recent movies. There are of course exceptions (The Grand Budapest Hotel and The Tree of Life I really loved from the past few years) but generally recent cinema feels uninspired and downright mediocre. I firmly believe that 9 out of 10 recent movies cannot be labelled as "art" whatever that means.

Anyways I'm just now finding out about this thread and I might start to post regularly here. 

i completely disagree. today's youth want instant gratification; they want the car chases, the explosions and the FX, but they are unable to see how shallow all that is.

there are so many great old movies - "Rashomon", "M", "Nosferatu" (the black-and-white one), "Don't Look Now!", "World on a Wire", "Silent Running", "Week End", "El Topo", "Arsenic and Old Lace", "Rear Window", "Repulsion", "The Tin Drum".... I could go on and on

Edited by BaldJean - September 17 2017 at 11:39

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larkstongue41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2017 at 11:52
^ I don't get it. What is it you disagree with? I basically have the same point of view as you. If I were to make a top 100 of my favourite movies, at least 90 of them would be pre-2000 and probably about 30 of them would be before 1960 which is what I consider to be "old" in cinema.

Edited by Larkstongue41 - September 17 2017 at 11:58
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2017 at 11:55
I disagree with "cinema has not aged well"

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larkstongue41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2017 at 11:58
What I mean when I say that cinema has not aged well is not that it was of poor quality back then but rather that it is less appealing to a younger audience than say, an album of the same time because of the  technological gap between now and then. Technological advancements don't show that much in music but it does show a lot in cinema.

EDIT - Take the early 2000's. An album from 2002 sounds like it was recorded yesterday but a movie from 2002 you can clearly identify as being 15 years old.

Edited by Larkstongue41 - September 17 2017 at 12:15
Frankh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2017 at 01:29
Yep. I'm old. And they don't make 'em like they used to.
(I, too just found out about this thread. And I, too will be back.)
For now. Just one word for you all. Hitchcock.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2017 at 01:47
^ just rewatched Shadow of a Doubt
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Frankh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2017 at 02:36
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ just rewatched Shadow of a Doubt

Just discovered he was known to have said this was his finest work. Up to that point, at any rate.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2017 at 02:53
Sometimes his show ain't bad either ~

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Frankh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2017 at 02:58
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Sometimes his show ain't bad either ~

Gasp
Choke
"Good evening..."
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2017 at 03:23
I remember something very funny Hitchcock once said, word for word. he said this: "the ugliest sound in the world is the sound of a hand smacking against the bottom of a tomato ketchup bottle, because as a result of this smacking an ugly red glue comes out of the neck of the bottle and lays itself over some very innocent French-fried potatoes". he said this in his usual extremely precise manner of speaking, and it was absolutely hilarious

Frankh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2017 at 03:26
He was...
ahm
eruhm
Very tough on his leading ladies...
Frankh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2017 at 03:53
Personal favorite Hitchcock films
Rope
Frenzy
The latter the critics did not like.
Do not listen to critics. Always judge for yourself.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2017 at 04:11
Originally posted by Frankh Frankh wrote:

Rope
Frenzy

I love the scenes with the inspector's wife and her French cooking in "Frenzy". and of course the potato truck scene

Frankh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2017 at 09:01
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

Originally posted by Frankh Frankh wrote:

Rope
Frenzy

I love the scenes with the inspector's wife and her French cooking in "Frenzy". and of course the potato truck scene

You do not want to laugh. Innocent women are being brutalized.

Yet, there is this bleak humor taking place. It's like forbidden laughter, which George Carlin said correctly was the best kind ( "...like kneeling alongside the casket..." ). It somehow amplifies the humor.

mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechanicalflattery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2017 at 09:11
It seems odd for Hitchcock to proclaim Shadow of a Doubt his best film when he had already made The 39 Steps and Rebecca (two of his three best in my eyes, alongside Vertigo) by then, but artists always have a unique relation to their own works. Marnie and The Wrong Man are both dreadfully underrated as well. The man made a lot of great films... and a lot of steaming garbage. 
Frankh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2017 at 10:11
Originally posted by mechanicalflattery mechanicalflattery wrote:

It seems odd for Hitchcock to proclaim Shadow of a Doubt his best film when he had already made The 39 Steps and Rebecca (two of his three best in my eyes, alongside Vertigo) by then, but artists always have a unique relation to their own works. Marnie and The Wrong Man are both dreadfully underrated as well. The man made a lot of great films... and a lot of steaming garbage. 

Got the impression from my reading that he made this assertion not long after the film. Or, long before his career came to it's conclusion.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larkstongue41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2017 at 17:19
Samsara - Ron Fricke (2011)

This guy gets it. Visual storytelling. What cinema should be like. This movie has no narrative. It's really only beautiful images of (1) the planet in all its splendor and (2) urban life and its most perverse attributes. With shots of Terrence Malick caliber (see The Tree of Life), the film manages to illustrate the human race in a way more complete and sadly accurate than any other work of art (or documentary for that matter) I know of.

8/10. What keeps it from being a 9: the inclusion of 2-3 cheesy scenes. What keeps it from being a 10: a movie of such ambition is essentially impossible to make perfect. Too much emphasis on certain aspects of humanity and modern life and not enough (or not all) on some others.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2017 at 01:45
Wonder Woman

Somehow they've managed to take an opportunity to do something really good with a beloved character and instead put her in a box stuck in WW II with a bunch of idiotic men, too much sentiment, and an almost TV-like tone and pace.   Director Patty Jenkins and writer Allan Heinberg did the best they could under the circumstances and the movie is not without fun, but I'm afraid this Wonder Woman is not too far from either her pulp beginnings or the cheesy television version, and if it's one thing an old superhero needs it's a fresh start and new approach (e.g. the Nolan's Batman or Robert Downey's Iron Man).   Pity.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2017 at 23:53
Baby Driver

Potentially captivating thrill ride comes-up empty as a young, skilled getaway driver starts to have second thoughts about a life of crime.   Spellbinding driving sequences are far & few between and the rest plays like a barely passable caper flick.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 174175176177178 215>