Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 175176177178179 215>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2017 at 04:54
The Evil Within (2017) Directed by Andrew Getty

The Evil Within - 2017 film.jpg

Grandson of one of the richest men in history makes a horror film. That's gotta suck right? Well no. This is not the work of some bored dilettante but a perfectionist's labour of love that was 6 years in production and took a total of 15 years to bring to the screen. Writer and Director Andrew Getty was the grandson of oil tycoon J Paul Getty and died in 2015 aged aged just 47 years old. The movie was finally completed by producer Michael Luceri and is based loosely on a series of nightmares Getty suffered from in childhood that were sufficiently traumatic to have him believe their source to be an external entity. There is a danger that the gestation of Andrew's lovechild will eclipse its birth but that would be a shame as there is much here to savour and enjoy. I'm not however, entirely convinced that The Evil Within works as a plain vanilla horror flick but see it more as a very successful psychological thriller with horror undertones. The 'special-needs' (read retarded PC retards) adolescent who is looked after by his older brother is brilliantly played with a delicate mixture of comedy and pathos by Frederick Koehler. There are glimpses of body and possession horror in places but you never feel that the Director is merely paying homage to his formative influences (see: Tarantino) Given the time-frame of this whole endeavor there are the inevitable continuity lapses and jarring segue-ways from one section to another but these rarely spoil the pace and flow of the action or narrative. What's particularly noticeable and innovative is a carefully cultivated miasma that has a febrile, hallucinogenic, spectral flavour I haven't seen exploited before so well from this genre. Like all good horror it doesn't take itself too seriously, is mordantly amusing, frightening and just plain daft in all the right spots.
A cult classic still in its wrapper y'all.

Edited by ExittheLemming - December 06 2019 at 20:52
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2017 at 23:06
Spiderman: Homecoming

Set two months after Captain America:Civil War, Spiderman:Homecoming is an adolescent if affectionate portrayal of young Peter Parker as he takes on his nemesis, Michael Keaton's oily Vulture.   Reminiscent of '80s youth-ploitation films as Weird Science or Karate Kid, 'Homecoming' exercises these beloved Marvel characters about as much as can be expected while still keeping a straight face.   Frankly if they don't reboot the character next time, Spidey is doomed to eternal puberty.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2017 at 00:05
Churchill

Very decent depiction of the British Prime Minister just before D-Day played with affection and little nonsense by Brian Cox largely from Churchill's perspective.   Missing is Winston Churchill the true person, the illusory, all-too-human individual who was as much a survivor as he was a leader.   Would've probably worked better as a television series.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2017 at 22:54
Good Time

Unusual crime drama about a low-level criminal and his mentally impaired brother who get busted after robbing a bank.   The unlikely events are realized by Robert Pattinson's chilling performance and as the two brothers spiral out of control through one depraved circumstance after another, the sad reality of lives lost increasingly weighs upon the characters and the audience.   Troubling story about the paths of real people in unreal conditions, and what personal destruction looks like.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2017 at 04:00
Birth of the Dragon

Straightforward, old-fashioned telling of the kung fu master who visited San Francisco in 1964 to challenge a then unknown Bruce Lee to an infamous fight in Chinatown over Lee's teaching of Chinese martial arts to Westerners.   More myth than reality, the story is a Bay Area legend and exists between shadow & truth as it struggles to fully understand the life and teachings of the Little Dragon. 

Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larkstongue41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2017 at 08:51
I've slowed down in catching up with cinema a lot lately. Last few months:

Moonrise Kingdom - Wes Anderson (2012)
Fun, visually interesting. 7/10

The 400 Blows - Francois Truffaut (1959)
Expected a lot more. It's a classic but a pretty dull one if you ask me. 5/10

The Mirror - Andrei Tarkovsky (1975)
One of those difficult ones with no narrative structure. I'll have to come back with a clearer state of mind. 6(?)/10

Moneyball - Bennett Miller (2011)
Decent but nothing extraordinary. Only watch if you have interest in baseball or managing sports teams I say. 4.5/10

Love & Mercy - Bill Pohlad (2014)
Not too bad. Seems like a relatively accurate portrayal of a slim part of Brian Wilson's life. Questionable choice of actors and the movie felt cheap and artificial throughout but enjoyed the scenes of the recording of Pet Sounds. 4/10

The Killing - Stanley Kubrick (1956)
I've had this one ready to watch for months but never really wanted to see it because I didn't want to be done with Kubrick's movies as I've closely watched every other including his shorts. Not quite as masterful as Paths of Glory but still technically flawless. Surprisingly thrilling plot, great camerawork and what a delight it is to watch Sterling Hayden act. Only Fellini is able to use lighting in a way that renders black & white more beautiful and elegant than Kubrick. Clearly Kubrick did not yet have too much of a grip on his actors as at least one or two (especially Coleen Gray) are not very convincing. Apart from that, absolutely nothing disappoints. 8/10

Edited by Larkstongue41 - December 07 2017 at 09:43
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2017 at 03:45
Blade Runner 2049

The problem with the original Blade Runner is that it was tons of atmosphere with little plot.   The 1982 film began as a simple idea loosely based on the Philip K. Dick novel ~ there are dangerous humanoids running around future L.A. and secret police who stop them ~ and that has remained unchanged through all the adulation and examination.   A remarkable exercise in world-building but often cold and unfulfilling in the end, not to mention the unending parade of alternate versions with retroactive suggestions, allegories and ambiguities.  

Blade Runner 2049
suffers from the same notion that you can capture an audience with such sights, smells, sounds, flavors and textures that it doesn't matter what actually happens or that there be any consistency.   It's sci-fi after all, and you can do whatever you want.   Consequently writers Fancher & Green and director Villenueve missed a chance to make us believe all of this could happen in some plausible yet-to-come (though 2049 is too soon to make the film's ecologic disasters believable).   At least with all its faults, all of its cultural trappings and erotic retardation, the original Blade Runner had a palpable realness that made it compelling.   Here we get far more fantasy than credible future-shock, and that's a shame.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2017 at 15:43
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Though it walks a fine line between reality and fiction, Martin McDonagh's story of a murdered young woman and her mother who refuses to let the local cops off the hook for solving the crime, is taken from real events McDonagh observed while traveling through the southern U.S.   It is a painful but fascinating submersion into backwater country where nothing happens until it does and no one does anything until they have to.   Good performances from Frances McDormand and the always compelling Sam Rockwell, Three Billboards is a refreshing change from the typical human drama.

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2017 at 21:03
Logan- 2017 Hugh Jackman, Patrick Stewart...
Decent story of the waning days of the mutants where Wolverine takes care of Dr Xavier while avoiding nasty military types after him and a young mutant. The action and story are pretty good for the first half but when they finally reach their goal of finding the other young 'new mutants' the story falls down for me.
If you are an X-Men or Marvel fan it's worth the watch....and Jackman and Stewart are good.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2017 at 21:47
^ Liked it.   There's an all black & white version called Logan Noir ,  BTW

mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechanicalflattery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2017 at 23:02
The Hateful Eight:

Sick, pointless, irredeemable, and utterly beautiful. I loved it, a few flaws aside. My favorite Tarantino since the era of Jackie Brown and Pulp Fiction. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2018 at 22:22
Brad's Status

Ben Stiller as a mid-lifer reflecting and regretting the direction his life has taken and lamenting his missed opportunities as his successful college friends all seem to be living perfect lives.   When he and his son (played beautifully by Austin Abrams) visit Boston for a Harvard admission interview, Stiller's character begins to find some stride in reconnecting with the world.   Not a bad little human drama that highlights Ben Stiller's less comedic side as an actor.

Edited by Atavachron - January 07 2018 at 22:29
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2018 at 04:38
Life (2017) Directed by Daniel Espinosa
Life (2017 film).png

'Marvin' was a pretty lame name for a Martian but 'Calvin?' This unicellular tadpole nurtured from a soil sample on Mars aboard the ISS Pilgrim gets fed a steady diet of space rusks, lab rats and eventually several whole members of the crew. Calvin soon comes to resemble a hybrid 'jellyfish/octopus with the fuller figure' with an IQ in direct proportion to his prodigious calorie intake. As silly as all that sounds, it's actually great fun and if you ignore the clear debt the plot owes to Alien then a fast paced sci-fi thriller with a nice ending twist is waiting to be enjoyed (Can't say there is much horror hereabouts, save the spectacle of watching a main course being devoured while still inside its protesting organ donor)
It does seem however to be an odd choice of role for Jake Gylennhaal, who is coasting as ISS medical Officer David Jordan. Perhaps he just wanted a well earned break from depicting highly complex and nuanced characters like Donnie Darko, Adam Bell/Anthony Clair and Lou Bloom et al?  It's just a pity that they can't nominate Calvin for an Oscar (with him being completely computer generated and all) as his acceptance speech would have been a gas:

Ladies and Gentlemen, f*ck humanoids, the battle saucers are on their way and you are all my puddy
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2018 at 05:10
^ Caught that puppy, thought Ryan Reynolds stole the show

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2018 at 02:38
The Devil's Candy (2015) Directed by Sean Byrne

It's maybe only surprising how long its taken for horror inspired metal to flow in the opposite direction. This is the movie that Rob Zombie can only dream of making (and it ain't really that good regardless) Director Sean Byrne claims to have based his story on fellow Aussie Nick Cave's song 'Red Right Hand' together with a trace of the Crossroads/Faustian pact myth that permeates so much of the horror and supernatural genres. Throw in some referential nods to 'The Shining' and you have fertile soil for a decent pant-filler certainly. No-one however is going to forgive a plot hole where Mr & Mrs Hellman (yes really) purchase a desirable property at a rock-bottom price due to the previous occupants being violently murdered yet they DON'T change the locks? Key holder Pruitt Taylor Vince has long commanded the 'wall-eyed portly uncle you don't let enter a Scout hall unchallenged' role and he doesn't disappoint here. Ethan Embry seems hopelessly miscast as the hippy inked artist forced to sell his soul on cutesy bank foyer commissions (which is kinda ironic seeing as how banks are clearly more diabolical than the Belial art gallery depicted here) His wife (Shiri Appleby) is the least 'metal' of all the family but easily the most convincing. Daughter (Kiara Glasco) has the emotional range of a toddler and like most of the audience, I suspect we would happily accelerate her intended grisly demise just to stop her incessant screaming drowning out the (decent) soundtrack for 5 minutes. That said, this is one loud and unapologetic independent movie where the extremities of dynamics seem to mirror those found in the Metal  from which it derives so much of its inspiration. A metal horror movie that goes up to 11 but rarely registers above 5 for this reviewer.

Edited by ExittheLemming - January 14 2018 at 02:44
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larkstongue41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2018 at 16:04
Delicatessen - Jeunet/Caro (1991)
Extremely funny and masterfully shot. A very pleasant movie. 8/10

Tokyo Story - Yasujiro Ozu (1953)
Perfect in terms of cinematography but ultimately shallow and uninteresting (in my opinion on a first viewing). Perhaps I'll be able to better relate to this film in my old days... 6/10

Dunkirk - Christopher Nolan (2017)
I'd been eyeing this one for quite a bit. It seems historically sound and it contains breathtaking shots but it suffers from the lack of Nolan's usual narrative manipulation. 5/10

Life of Pi - Ang Lee (2012)
It looks great and it presents a captivating fantastic tale but it doesn't have much else to offer. I also felt the director tried to make the movie as culturally diverse as he could in a very poorly executed and forced manner. A few other such clichés ruined the experience for me. 4.5/10

Au Hasard Balthazar - Robert Bresson (1966)
Maybe I missed something here but I did not like this one. I get the fact that it rejects nearly all conventions of the time and I appreciate that but it goes nowhere. Even the acting was terrible which I usually don't complain about. 3/10

"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2018 at 19:13
Originally posted by Larkstongue41 Larkstongue41 wrote:

Life of Pi - Ang Lee (2012)
It looks great and it presents a captivating fantastic tale but it doesn't have much else to offer. I also felt the director tried to make the movie as culturally diverse as he could in a very poorly executed and forced manner. A few other such clichés ruined the experience for me. 4.5/10

Hérésie!
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2018 at 20:24
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

The Devil's Candy (2015) Directed by Sean Byrne

It's maybe only surprising how long its taken for horror inspired metal to flow in the opposite direction. This is the movie that Rob Zombie can only dream of making (and it ain't really that good regardless) Director Sean Byrne claims to have based his story on fellow Aussie Nick Cave's song 'Red Right Hand' together with a trace of the Crossroads/Faustian pact myth that permeates so much of the horror and supernatural genres. Throw in some referential nods to 'The Shining' and you have fertile soil for a decent pant-filler certainly. No-one however is going to forgive a plot hole where Mr & Mrs Hellman (yes really) purchase a desirable property at a rock-bottom price due to the previous occupants being violently murdered yet they DON'T change the locks? Key holder Pruitt Taylor Vince has long commanded the 'wall-eyed portly uncle you don't let enter a Scout hall unchallenged' role and he doesn't disappoint here. Ethan Embry seems hopelessly miscast as the hippy inked artist forced to sell his soul on cutesy bank foyer commissions (which is kinda ironic seeing as how banks are clearly more diabolical than the Belial art gallery depicted here) His wife (Shiri Appleby) is the least 'metal' of all the family but easily the most convincing. Daughter (Kiara Glasco) has the emotional range of a toddler and like most of the audience, I suspect we would happily accelerate her intended grisly demise just to stop her incessant screaming drowning out the (decent) soundtrack for 5 minutes. That said, this is one loud and unapologetic independent movie where the extremities of dynamics seem to mirror those found in the Metal  from which it derives so much of its inspiration. A metal horror movie that goes up to 11 but rarely registers above 5 for this reviewer.

Sounds like a must see.  I'm stoked!  Excellent descriptions "Exit the Lemming".
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2018 at 00:49
The Snowman

Effective if familiar and prosaic crime drama focusing on a down & out detective (played just right by Michael Fassbender) who attempts to revive himself by going after a gruesome serial killer in Norway during the first snowfall of winter.   The frigid grey moods and atmospheres affect good suspense and keep us watching, occasionally even caring about the characters, but in the end I couldn't shake the feeling I was watching a BBC mystery special... albeit a very good one.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2018 at 20:53
Shortwave (2016) Directed by Ryan Gregory Phillips

A real slow burner this one so stick with it as after 65 minutes of torturous fasting the ending is 'everything you can eat' in 20. Josh and Isabel Harris have lost their infant daughter by some sort of mysterious disappearance/alien abduction which is never really explained save some momentary back story jump-cuts to imply the latter.
As to how at least 6 inquisitive children and one supervising adult simply evaporate into thin air from within a nursery school library without so much as a protesting shush!, in the time taken for Mrs Harris to visit the rest room is anyone's guess. The other yawning chasm in the plot is the lack of any Police presence at the house after the same Mrs Harris viciously attacks her husband's boss with a (very large) knife stabbing him repeatedly (but not fatally, we learn almost by way of a casual shrugging rejoinder in the aftermath)
As the grieving couple, the performances of both Juanita Ringeling and Cristobal Tappia Montt are portentously overwrought to the point of 'method' slapstick and although I wouldn't dare pretend I know what it feels like to lose a child, it's clear the actors don't have the first clue either. The ending is extremely violent and on the cusp of gratuitously gory but as to why an alien species would resort to Grand Guignol slayings of these pesky humanoids in their midst is a question the Director needs to reverse engineer for his promised sequel. The art-house cinematography reminded me in places of Lars von Trier's obliquely hallucinatory Antichrist which is considerably more pretentious and also centered around a couple mourning a lost child. The radio transmissions that Josh Harris and his assistant (Kyle Davis) have identified as being of extraterrestrial origin makes for an intriguing story but apart from the aforementioned transparent artifice of setting up the inevitable sequel, no attempt is made to explain the events that are depicted.  Intelligent movies don't need to continually remind us of the fact and Phillips has yet to learn that if you take the sex out of horror you're left with just forensics.

Edited by ExittheLemming - January 20 2018 at 20:56
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 175176177178179 215>