Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 186187188189190 216>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2021 at 17:17
The Italian Job 1969 (Original)
A bit of a family tradition here, my son will watch a movie with me for my birthday. I try and pick movies he's never seen but are fabulous movies from a different time. Today was the original Italian Job with Michael Caine. He loved it, I loved it. A good time was had by all.
8/10
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2021 at 09:32
Zenith (2010)

Well, my mind surely doesn't bend to the mindsets of the conspiracy theorists. So it was not a mind-bending movie for me. 

Not an awesome watch like the Zenith ones, but a decent one still. 7/10
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2021 at 22:54
Withnail & I - Cult classic. Bleak comedy. Or is it tragedy actually? I love Richard Griffiths. 
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2021 at 06:32
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2021 at 23:00
Silent Running - excellent sci-fi dealing with environmental issues (among other things). Title is probably influenced by Rachel Carson's book?

Easy Rider - quote from a friend: "if I could watch only one film for the rest of my life, it'd be Easy Rider." 
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2021 at 13:05
The Father

Dazzling performances flesh-out the perceptions of a man with dementia as he struggles to comprehend the incomprehensible, and faces the increasingly terrifying moments of his daily life.   Told from his point of view, Anthony Hopkins' character gives us a profound taste of what losing one's cognition really feels like, and though disturbing to watch, The Father masterfully puts us right there with him in the middle of the storm.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2021 at 23:15
Nosferatu (1922) - this was I think third or fourth time I saw the film, and for whatever reason I've never got much out of it. I appreciate the way it looks and there are some absolutely beautiful scenes, but in the end it leaves me more or less cold. The version I watched now had the Art Zoyd soundtrack. The music as such was excellent, but often felt too modern for the film. 
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2021 at 00:26
Dr. Strangelove - A classic that I like to see every now and then. Superb work by Peter Sellers. I saw this first time as a kid in mid 80s and was freaked out bad. 

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - It's good that they divided the last book into two films, even though they still had to leave many things out, although not as bad as with previous films. Very satisfying end to the saga. Haters can go on hating as much as they want, but Harry Potter rules. 

Jesse James Meets Frankenstein's Daughter - You know how some films are so bad that they're good? This is not one of them. This is just seriously bad. 
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2021 at 06:26
Roma (1972) - 6/10
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2021 at 20:25
Watched 'Wonder Woman 1984'....bad sequel to the first one which was mildly entertaining.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2021 at 00:58
^ can't say I enjoyed the first one that much Smile

Watched Il Camino (the ''Breaking Bad Movie'') at the weekend , literally following on from Season 5 which I binged in a week. Actually really good considering there is virtually no plot to speak of. I think it tied up most of the loose ends well and gives a possibility of a sequel. 8/10
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2021 at 05:02
We watched "La ragazza nella nebbia" ("The Girl in the Fog") by Donato Carrisi featuring Toni Servillo, Alessio Boni and Jean Reno. The plot of the movie was very convoluted; I will quote from Wikipedia (with a few additions of my own):

Anna Lou, a 16-year old girl, disappears in the remote town of Avechot, in the Italian Alps. The expert investigator Vogel (Servillo) is called in to lead the case. Vogel is famous for creating sensational media coverage around the cases he investigates. Dr. Flores (Reno), a psychologist, is called in to help with the investigation.

In fact, Avechot newspapers and television stations bear down relentlessly on Loris Martini (Boni), a local school professor who is charming but deeply in debt, and who becomes the prime suspect. But the truth turns out to be more convoluted: Martini is later cleared when it is revealed that Vogel falsified evidence, putting the professor's blood on the girl's backpack. Once cleared, Martini is granted compensation of 1 million euros.

Meanwhile a journalist proposes the theory that the latest crime is the work of a past serial killer, known as the man of the fog. In the end, it is revealed that Martini did kill Anna Lou in a copy cat crime of the Fog man serial killer. He deliberately planted self-incriminating clues but without ever leaving concrete evidence, in order to spur Vogel to take action, licitly and otherwise, to frame him, as Vogel had done in a famous earlier case thereby winning the 1 million dollars in a suit against the police. It is revealed at the end in a discussion between Vogel and Dr. Flores that Vogel murders Martini so he cannot benefit from his crime. In a final twist it is revealed in the last scene that Dr. Flores is the man in the fog.

So at the end there were three different murderers.

Edited by BaldFriede - June 23 2021 at 05:07

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2021 at 05:10
Originally posted by Hiram Hiram wrote:

Silent Running - excellent sci-fi dealing with environmental issues (among other things). Title is probably influenced by Rachel Carson's book?

Easy Rider - quote from a friend: "if I could watch only one film for the rest of my life, it'd be Easy Rider." 

Both movies are favourites of Jean and me.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2021 at 07:09
Good taste you guys got. Thumbs Up

I've had plenty of spare time lately, so watched a few things again:

Woyzeck - to me the least interesting of Herzog/Kinski collaborations. Still very much worth seeing if you're a fan of either of them or 70s European art cinema in general. 

Batman - classic tv series aside, Tim Burton's take on Batman is my favourite. Good combination of gothic feel, humour and sense of wonder. I remember the second film he made was even better and I have it on DVD, so that might be tomorrow's viewing. 

Fascination - artsy euro-sleaze that doesn't make much sense but has plenty of atmosphere. 
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2021 at 08:04
Down By Law - cool little early Jim Jarmusch film. Great actors. 

Long Good Friday - gangster film elite. One of the best films I've seen for a long time. 

Cannonball Run - one of the most stupid and most entertaining comedies ever. Highly recommended!

Burn After Reading - I saw this at cinema when it came out and didn't like it much. Now I got the DVD for small change and liked it a lot better this time. Very existential and absurd little film. Not the best work of the Coen brothers, but even their lesser films are excellent. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2021 at 02:30
The Devil's Carnival (2012) - A carnivalesque film. Relatively short, about 56 minutes. Nice! I'd notmally give it a 7/10, but I'll give it a 8/10 because it was an engaging musical for a person, like myself, who is not normally fond of such movies.

Vampire Circus (1972) - Another good and lesser known vampire movie from the English. It was very promising for some time, but gradually became rather bland. Still, some of its scenes were astonishing. 7.5/10

The Pagemaster (1994) - Who wouldn't like or love Macaulay Culkin? Aimed at the kid and teenager audience, but still decent enough for a mature person like myself. 7/10
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2021 at 15:08
A Quiet Place II. It wasn't too bad as a sequel, but didn't have the same level of tension of the first film. It could have been longer for me too (only 90 mins) and felt more like a longer TV episode. Cillian Murphy was excellent as always and the child actors were surprisingly good too.
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2021 at 12:45
Demons - silly but entertaining horror trash. 

Sleepy Hollow - Tim Burton's take on the classic tale. Looks great and doesn't have a dull moment. Great actors all around. 
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2021 at 04:54
The Tomorrow War (2021)

Very enjoyable, albeit generic, sci-fi action film from the director of The Lego Movie, starring the likeable Chris Pratt and featuring an excellent supporting cast. Billy Gilpin (Glow) and Yvonne Strahovski (The Handmaids Tale) help massively to add some much needed emotional resonance that lifts this a bit above the usual big budget production of this kind. I also liked the CGI generated alien creatures that are loosely based on the raptors in Jurassic Park (Aliens and Independence Day are also points of reference) 7/10
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2021 at 10:46
The Whisperer in Darkness (2011) - Well... I didn't like it for some reasons, the foremost of which is that it doesn't look like a movie shot in black-and-white, but rather the colouration (or the lack thereof) seems like it was applied via a programme. It would be better in full color, I think. The Color Out of Space (2019) was excellent, and this one would be better with a similar colouration IMO. Secondly, the protagonist is too annoying... Not a bad movie, I appreciated the effort and details, but still didn't like it. 5/10

P.S. Cool Air (1999) was the best Lovecraft adaptation that I've watched in B&W.

Edited by Shadowyzard - July 06 2021 at 11:34
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 186187188189190 216>