Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 189190191192193 215>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2021 at 17:43
La casa del fin de los tiempos (2013) - A movie from Venezuela!!! Sort of interesting, but I was expecting better. Durante la tormenta (2018), as a similar movie, was a tad more enjoyable. 6.5/10
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2021 at 14:38
The Tall Man (2012) - France/Canada

From the director of Martyrs (2008), but this movie is in English.

An atmospheric movie with a dreamy plot, or rather like a nightmare with a loose plot. That is not an outright negative thing, as it makes the movie very easy to watch. Flows nicely, even when there occurs some bewildering plot twists. 

Martyrs really disturbed me, and this also affected me mentally; albeit not negatively.

Hard to rate it, really. 7/10 seems OK.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2021 at 14:52
Upgrade (2018) - Watchable sci-fi. Overrated, methinks. 6/10
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2021 at 16:50
Frequency (2000) - As American as it can get. I grew up with such movies, so no complaints for my part. It was doomed to be rated between 6 and 8 by me (I decided on this after watching about its half.), and it gets a well-deserved 7.5. Pretty engaging film with a very good ending.

Edited by Shadowyzard - September 11 2021 at 16:51
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2021 at 19:34
Disturbia (2007) - As American as it can get (2). This one is mostly for teens and young adults. Well, even as a kid, I was watching far more "horrocious" movies; nevertheless, some of its scenes can be "disturbing" for most teens and the younger ones. Hmm... There are lots of films that bore me to death so that I cannot finish them. This one was not one of them. So, even if it was kinda lame, I'll rate it with 7/10.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2021 at 14:50
In the Shadow of the Moon (US/Canada - 2019): Hmm... A disputable movie... I'll not delve into its "political" side. A nice Netflix movie. Nothing too impressive though. 6.5/10

The Lodgers (Ireland - 2017): I really liked this movie unlike many. I'd guess 

The Brontë Sisters

would be intrigued by it. I love the atmosphere in such Irish films. A somewhat niche taste, for sure. 7/10

Cargo (Switzerland - 2009): A promising effort by the Swiss... Non-American sci-fi always interests me. It provides a breath of "fresh" air. Though I couldn't say that they delivered their promises that impressively. Fingers crossed for the next "cargo"! 6.5/10
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2021 at 14:46
Tau (USA - 2018): A better than average Netflix sci-fi. I liked the climax, really. It was so natural. 7/10

Nirvana (Italy/France - 1997) - Flatly out (if this is grammatically correct): A masterpiece. Like a big VVS alexandrite gemstone (colour changing Wink). One of the best movies I've ever seen. VR fans shouldn't miss it. But others should also give it a chance. Yet, I must say that this is purely a '90s film. Mind you, I'm not extravagant in using the word masterpie... See? I'm not. Tongue 10/10
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2021 at 17:49
Idiocracy (US - 2006): Well it is quite like The Truman Show, in that there's a victim in a quasi-real world. Yet, conversely, in this movie, everybody but the protagonist (and his "partner, but her role is not that important here) is "clueless". Also their endings are just the opposite, regarding the protagonists' ultimate decisions to escape or stay. This movie also reminded me of Wall-E, in more than one way. Also, the crowd pleasing (did I say please?) sick scenes are like those in Stephen King's The Running Man. If this weren't a comedy film, the protagonist might be turned into a Jesus Christ figure too... Imagine the climax was tragic, instead.

Anyway, I've finally watched this movie, which I've been hearing about for aeons. It was a good watch, though not great. 7.5/10

Edited by Shadowyzard - September 19 2021 at 17:53
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2021 at 07:34
I already mentioned the movie in my poll about weird movies, but I would like to say a few things about it that I only noticed on second watching: "Něco z Alenky" ("Something from Alice") by Jan Švankmajer.

on first view it appeared to be obvious that the villain in the movie is the white rabbit. however, on second view I came to the conclusion that the real "villain" (I will get to why I put the word in quotes) is Alice herself.

now how and why did I come to this conclusion? well, throughout the whole movie the rabbit keeps looking at his watch muttering that he is late (or rather it is Alice who mutters it for him). at one point he says "she will have my head off" (the subtitles at this point say "he will have my head off", but this may be a translation mistake or a typo). and at the end of the movie Alice says about the white rabbit: "he is late as usual. I think I'll cut his head off"!

so the white rabbit is in fear of having his head cut off by Alice. now this does of course explain why he is hostile towards her all the time.

so is Alice the villain? is she vicious? I tend to say "no". I am of the opinion that the moral sense of children of the age of Alice (remember, the original story takes place on her 7th birthday) is not fully developed yet; they are truly "amoral" in this way. so technically she is the villain, but morally she is not.

Kristýna Kohoutová, the girl who plays Alice, is absolutely perfect in her role. throughout the whole movie she maintains an alert curiosity. sometimes she is amused, sometimes she is afraid, sometimes she is angry, sometimes she is just inquisitive, but she brings all these emotions across in a wonderful way. it is totally believable that she is experiencing all these strange and sometimes frightening things, albeit in a dream only.

or is it really just a dream? the rabbit being late in returning apparently calls for another explanation.

here a link to the movie; click on the CC button to switch on subtitles:

Edited by BaldJean - September 20 2021 at 16:12

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2021 at 18:28
Ghost in the Machine (US/1993): Too horrible that it is awesome! Far funnier than most comedy films, even though it is a horror movie. How can I rate it? It is a terrible movie but immensely fun. Hmm... 0.9/10, or 10.1/10
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2021 at 15:54
Spider (Canada/UK/France - 2002): I've just finished watching it. Been planning to watch since its release. Big smile

I had zero info about the movie, BTW, till watching; except that I knew it was a "serious" film.

Again from the year 2002: The mysteriously bizarre year for me.

Very quality film. Excellent cast, very good acting. Cronenberg... Also many credits go to Howard Shore. 9/10
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2021 at 18:31
Aterrados (Argentina - 2017) - As sh*tty as the Paradumbass Dungtivity. Oh crap! 1/10
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2021 at 16:00
Radius (Canada - 2017): Gotta watch till the end. I found it quite original in many ways. A friendly remark: Don't read anything about its plot before watching. 8/10

Edited by Shadowyzard - September 24 2021 at 16:01
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2021 at 18:27
Anon (UK/Canada/US/Germany - 2018): Elegant... Andrew Niccol did it again! A very classy film. Like an average Black Mirror episode. And an average BM episode corrsponds to 8/10 rating in my book.
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2021 at 12:15
Old - 2021. The latest from M. Night Shyamalan. I really enjoyed it, despite the indifferent reviews. Like all his movies it has a good ending that explains what's been going on. 8.5/10
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2021 at 16:37
Freaks (US/Canada - 2018): One of the better "kid with super powers" type of movies I've watched. This has a good background and story, together with some decent drama. CosmicVibration would love this. Perhaps he (or she, cannot be sure) is a freak too? Tongue 7.5/10
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2021 at 15:10
Carnival of Souls (US - 1962): Should be groundbreaking at the time. Lots of good (& creepy) music, haunting (& comedic - especially the ones with the courting guy) scenes, suspenseful events, and an ambiguous ending. It could have been a masterpiece, if it had been filmed in the '70s. Still very good. 8/10
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2021 at 15:57
^ Great classic, clearly influential on the student-grade horror flicks to come.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2021 at 17:16
Pontypool (Canada - 2008): OMG, the worst movie ever. I never thought I could watch a worse Canadian movie than The Void (2016); but they had already done that. I respect intelligent madness, but not idiotic insanity. Filming such a "thing" is an affront to cinema. 1/10
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2021 at 10:08
I haven't been able to watch movies in the last couple of years... Mostly because there's nothing that interests me that I haven't seen. I also have a very slow laptop, a slow connection, and won't watch movies on cable that have commercials... So if I'm going to watch stuff I've already seen, it's going to be Mort Sahl stand-up, and any old interviews, documentaries, and found a good one.

American Playboy: The Hugh Hefner Story

There's about 8 episodes of this on Amazon Prime.. I'm almost halfway through, but wanted to let you all know this is very good.
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 189190191192193 215>