Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 156157158159160 215>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2015 at 12:35
Frequencies

Strange little sci-fi film about romance and human frequencies in an alternate reality.
I liked it even though at times it 'lacked heart and soul' as one reviewer pointed out.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
mithrandir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mithrandir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2015 at 12:57
Cheap Thrills - haha 6.5/10
Willow Creek - eh, I think Exists was a lot better 5/10
Only God Forgives - one of those love it or hate it things, I liked, the first few minutes I thought it was going to be a bunch of bs, but I ended up getting invested in the film as well as immersing myself in the little Bangkok world they created with the low camera shots, weird lighting, the background interior designs and architecture, kind of reminded me of Blade Runner in a way, ...and that Thai police chief was bad ass! 7.5/10

Edited by mithrandir - April 05 2015 at 12:58
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2015 at 05:36
I got the impression that Only God Forgives was meant as a perspective flip of the "cop on the edge" genre as inspired by Bullitt and Dirty Harry, twisting its tropes around by telling the story from the nominal bad guy's viewpoint. There's also a bit of riffing on the differences between Western and Eastern action movies.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2015 at 22:44
Interstellar

An elegant take on a classic science fiction theme ~ the future of humanity in space ~ from the Nolan brothers, once again proving their understanding of the realities of the physical world but with a keen eye toward the fantastic, Interstellar washes away tired habits of trad sci-fi and replaces it with actual drama that we can believe in.   McConaughey does a fine job as the pilot of a crew tasked to manipulate time and recolonize a dustbowled Earth and though at times things do get sentimental, it's not enough to derail an admirable effort.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2015 at 22:52
^^ I watched it a couple of nights ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. Probably my favorite interstellar film
since Contact.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2015 at 00:59
This Island Earth

Among the more overrated of the 1950s science fiction thrillers, this one evidently had "Special effects of the most realistic type"; Maybe for '55, but this vacuum-tubed, big-foreheaded and poorly cast teenage drive-in excuse for a makeout session is talkie, cheesy, garishly colored, and is best for a good laugh at vintage cinema.  

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2015 at 08:57
The Homesman
Directed and co-written by Tommy Lee Jones
This is a film about the harshness of prairie life in the Nebraska territory. 
Three women have gone insane and are a threat to themselves and their families and a local
preacher (John Lithgow) arranges to have them taken back east to Iowa where they can be cared for.
A single woman working her farm alone (Hilary Sw**k) takes on the responsibility of transporting the 
women. She is given an enclosed wagon and a team of mules and sets out to collect the women.
She comes across a man (Tommy Lee Jones) sitting on a horse with his hands tied and a rope around his
neck. Some locals had accused him of squatting on a deserted farm and left him to hang.
Sw**k cuts him loose only after he agrees to help her transport the women.
The rest of the movie is about the many problems the two experience along the trail and the changing
relationship between the two main characters.

Jones does an excellent job of directing and he and Sw**k give top notch performances. 
I enjoyed the movie from beginning to end and recommend it .
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mithrandir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2015 at 14:32
The Driver (1978) - a big influence on Drive, different kind of story but you can definitely see it, big city noir setting, gritty atmosphere, minimalistic plot, an amoral cast of characters, a good balance between dialog and action, and the car chase scenes were loud and wild! I really like these kind of lesser known B-grade crime thrillers... 7.5/10
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2015 at 03:25
Glory

An unashamed crowd-pleaser and about as close to perfect as wartime drama gets, this opera of U.S. history is as moving as it is briskly paced.   I don't know how accurate the film is or was intended to be but somehow that hardly matters considering the love and respect shown to the subject, careful attention to detail, sublime score, and dream team of a cast, Glory deserves every bit of credit it has gotten.  

ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ole-the-first Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2015 at 22:44
In the Soup (1992) & Living in Oblivion (1995). Two different views on a filmmaker's life, both starring the magnificent Steve Buscemi.

Both are stunningly excellent. Living in Oblivion is more straightforward comedic, In the Soup is a bit oddball and tragi-comedic, but also soulful, both films are funny, light-hearted and wise at the same time. Jim Jarmusch did a cameo appearance in the latter.

If you're a fan of Steve Buscemi, you must see these films. Even if you're not, they still can offer you at least a great entertainment.
This night wounds time.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mithrandir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2015 at 14:46
Fight for Your Life (1977) - wow, haha.... this was crazy! home invasion film with the longest stream of racial epithets I've even seen in a flick, you'd never get away with this kind of stuff nowadays, also E.B. Farnum (Deadwood) as the main villain is also a plus! 8/10
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2015 at 05:19

Jim Jarmusch's take on the prison break movie. It's probably the best way to introduce people to his early independent movies, since I quite appreciate how he kind of takes apart that entire outlaw bohemian outsider modern mythology apart at the seams with still confirming why we find that entire mystique interesting, and ends up reconstructing it in the end. Then there's an eye for sociological detail and interesting use of the geographical setting (contrasting the urban decay of New Orleans with the swamp landscapes surrounding it) I didn't really pick up on first time I watched. Plus it's pretty damn funny.

I don't watch this kind of film very often, but I found this entertaining and interesting. It takes the kind of eccentric optimistic quirky woman who's usually the brooding male outsider's love interest and not only tells a story from her point of view, but also tackles that character type from an in the end more realistic angle than I've seen elsewhere. Then there's the plotline of her taking driving lessons from a misanthropic instructor, I get the impression that's meant as a commentary on two different and opposed sides of the British national character. (the "keep calm and carry on" side vs. a certain kind of world-weary cynical pessimism I find very specific to the UK)

I'm a huge fan of the manga this is based upon, so it's kind of a mystery I haven't gotten around to watching the film until now. Just like the source material, it happens to take some extremely well-thought out and genuinely provoking meditations of technology's role in not just the development of social structure but the very definition of the human condition itself, then extrapolating into an vision of the posthuman future... and places it in the context of a tightly plotted exciting crime/espionage thriller with a very interesting main character. The visuals are also gorgeous, managing to preserve the atmosphere of the comics despite being much more realistic in style.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ole-the-first Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2015 at 05:56
^Down by Law is superb. Tom Waits acts just as good and charismatic as he sings and Roberto Benigni adds some humour.
This night wounds time.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2015 at 08:50
Seven Psychopaths, also with Tom Waits in a small role. Quirky fun movie with lots of big star power. I like that Colin Farrel played a character that had little control over what was really going on. A bit of a movie within a movie.
My Rating...6-7 by IMDB standards (actual rating by IMDB 7.2)
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2015 at 10:32
I really enjoyed Seven Psychopaths and have watched it three or four times since buying the DVD.
Christopher Walken was excellent, Sam Rockwell was hilarious and Woody Harrelson nailed it.
It also included Olga Kurylenko (briefly) who has been a favorite since the movie Hitman.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2015 at 11:50
I enjoyed the same director's In Bruges, even if it was very different from what I had expected as the advertising had promoted something much less serious in substance.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mithrandir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2015 at 14:55
The Snowtown Murders - kind of wish this movie would have been a little more direct at times, a few decent scenes tho 6/10

\/ continuing my Home Invasion spree, if you got any recommendations let me know!

The Aggression Scale - tried to mix a bit of Home Alone and Rambo with a Home Invasion/Hitman scenario, kind of funny kind of meh, was hoping for something a bit darker/more serious, but nice to see some old Twin Peaks alumni - 6/10

Them (ils) - never quite had any those scenes that disturbed or made me feel anything really, as they slowly revealed their "tormentors" didn't really come as a any surprise, maybe I'm just being jaded or wasn't in the mood, eh 5.5/10
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2015 at 15:25
The Killer Shrews

Ha! A shlocky old 1959 Horror "It's so bad it's great" film. A lot of fun, really.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ole-the-first Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2015 at 18:25
In Bruges was a bit stronger movie than Seven Psychopaths, methinks, though both are great.

But actually I prefer even more what films the brother of this director, i.e. The Guard and Calvary, both starring Brendan Gleeson.
This night wounds time.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mithrandir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2015 at 18:05
The Strangers (2008) - eh, this was kind of like that movie Them "Ils" I watched from last week, I kind of don't like these type of Home Invasionsploitation movies, where all the "Invaders" do for the most of the movie is make scary noises in the background and play with their victims by moving things around the house 6/10

Kidnapped (2010) "Secuestrados" (original title) - ah, now we're talking! this is what I was hoping to discover during my recent Home Invasionsploitation kick; realistic, unforgiving, visceral and nihilistic! they do some split screen action that really amps up the intensity, wish they did that more! 8/10
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 156157158159160 215>