Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 158159160161162 216>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2015 at 08:48
Harry Potter: The Deathly Hallows, part I and 2.

Slow night at home on the tv so...watched the last 2 installments of the Potter series.
Do I need to review them..?   Wink
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zravkapt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2015 at 10:15
Behold...the greatest film ever made:

Magma America Great Make Again
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2015 at 10:33
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Slow night at home on the tv so...watched the last 2 installments of the Potter series.
yes
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2015 at 10:56
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

yes
Last in a series that proved to be two episodes too long, lots of inevitable and predictable things happen to people who were neither more nor less interesting and engaging at the end of the saga than they were at the beginning, there's a obligatory battle of good-CGI verses evil-CGI and some people get hurt to the point of actual death but fortunately in the knicker-time Frodo Potter destroys the magic hor-ring and under the guidance of the ghostly Gandalf the White (in  a perfunctory performance by that tired old British actor Sir Alec McKellbon) uses the Force to save the day and defeat the evil Darth Sauronmort. In the epilogue some people got married though you do wonder why. Frankly, the franchise never recovered from the death of Richard Harris. Lot of stars, none of them of merit.
What?
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2015 at 11:12
I recently watched Apocalypse Now, after postponing it for years. Next up is 'the making of' for that one, which is apparently just as good.
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2015 at 13:12
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

yes
Last in a series that proved to be two episodes too long, lots of inevitable and predictable things happen to people who were neither more nor less interesting and engaging at the end of the saga than they were at the beginning, there's a obligatory battle of good-CGI verses evil-CGI and some people get hurt to the point of actual death but fortunately in the knicker-time Frodo Potter destroys the magic hor-ring and under the guidance of the ghostly Gandalf the White (in  a perfunctory performance by that tired old British actor Sir Alec McKellbon) uses the Force to save the day and defeat the evil Darth Sauronmort. In the epilogue some people got married though you do wonder why. Frankly, the franchise never recovered from the death of Richard Harris. Lot of stars, none of them of merit.

That about sums it up.........
though I have to say I do like Gambon better than Harris as Dumbledore.
Harris seemed too frail to me and not really engaged in the role at times.
Haquin
*frinspar* View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *frinspar* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2015 at 16:00
My wife and I were recently doing movie nights each Saturday out on the back porch, until we finally hit 100 degree days this past Saturday. Now it's back inside. Unhappy

We've been going through 80s thrillers, movies she hadn't seen and that I've forgotten. LOL

So far we've watched:

"Jagged Edge" from 1986. I'd give this one a 5/10. It seemed better in my memory than in actuality. Bridges gave a great performance, but it was just too easy and unrealistic that staying in the story was hard. The drive by studios to make the next great thriller of the decade was high and so many were churned out that even great casts couldn't make them shine.

"The Mean Season" from 1985. This is a solid 8/10. Kurt Russell did very well, and Mariel Hemingway was also good. I appreciated the fair, but not heavy-handed, commentary on the sometimes-blurred line by journalists between reporting the news and making the news. Great tension and atmosphere built to a satisfying conclusion.

"The Hitcher" from 1986. 10/10 One of my all-time favorites, starring the guy in my avatar, and some kid from "The Outsiders". Wink John Ryder is one of the most menacing and relentless bad guys in film history. He makes the Terminator look like a pussycat. Such great intensity and building towards the finale. What a fun ride.

"Cruising" from 1980. I'm still undecided on this one. But I give it a tentative 7/10. Stars Pacino as a young cop sent undercover to find a serial killer who finds his prey among the seedy gay and leather stud bars and public meeting places. The transition Pacino's character goes through is very nicely portrayed, and there are some memorable characters. The ending, however, leaves you with some pretty major questions. Particularly about if what you've just watched is actually what happened. By that I mean, the way it ends makes you wonder exactly who Pacino really was the whole time.

"Blow Out" from 1981. Easy 10/10. Travolta's performance is one of the greatest of his career. It's a shame to think that, after seeing this movie, how he phoned it in in so many later movies. He's got talent. Has great character development and a gripping story. And the last 15 minutes or so just leaves you feeling cold.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2015 at 01:18
Originally posted by Angelo Angelo wrote:

I recently watched Apocalypse Now, after postponing it for years. Next up is 'the making of' for that one, which is apparently just as good.

Hearts of Darkness ?   Yeah good doc.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2015 at 19:00
Terminator Salvation

After the mostly forgettable Rise of the Machines it was a pleasure to get a competent and well-scripted final episode in the series.   Even Christian Bale keeps his profile low so as to highlight the story which moves along with keen sci-fi skills and affection for the series without losing its own identity.   In fact this one emulates the first film more than the other two sequels and though finishes a bit weak, is intelligent, original, and doesn't take anything for granted.   We'll see how the reboot is later this year, though I don't expect much from anything that features Schwarzenegger for more than a few minutes.

Edited by Atavachron - June 07 2015 at 01:19
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2015 at 00:11
Flight

Though promoted as an airplane flick, Flight is more about addiction and the struggle to overcome than it is about being a pilot.   Circumstances force Denzel Washington to face his dependency on alcohol and cocaine when a near-disastrous crash landing is blamed on him instead of the mechanical failure that caused it.   Full of good insights into both the life of pilots and of addicts, the story illustrates the wrenching and oh-so-human reality of being blamed for something that is not your fault but is your responsibility.

Edited by Atavachron - June 11 2015 at 01:43
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2015 at 04:08
Shutter Island

Scorsese's jumbled but ultimately effective old fashioned mystery based on the novel improves as it goes with Ben Kingsley and Mark Ruffalo making up for DiCaprio's ham-fisted presence as a U.S. Marshal looking into strange events at an island mental facility.

mithrandir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mithrandir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2015 at 19:39
All That Jazz (1979) - I was expecting something completely different than what this was.  I remember this movie as far back as when I was a little kid, and for whatever reason I thought it was going to be like A Chorus Line or something, haha.  Instead it turned out to be a pretty artsy, gritty, sometimes funny, sometimes sad tale of a man dying of his excesses.  The final number was both sad and cathartic. 8/10
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2015 at 20:32
^ One of my favourite Roy Scheider films along with 52 Pick Up and 2010

Sorcerer 1977 (aka The Wages of Fear remake) I'll be watching the original 1953 one shortly.
I have had the soundtrack LP (Tangerine dream) for this for decades so I decided it was time to watch the flick. Once the transition to the jungles is made this film is full of tension. It's typical production for a 70's flick so I may find that the original is better as is sometimes the case.

Thank you for supporting independently produced music
ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ole-the-first Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2015 at 12:24
La Pianiste & Benny's Video

Watching Michael Haneke's movies is a very disturbing and uneasy experience. Sometimes you plainly don't want to see what happens next. Although most of the violent scenes are left on viewer's imagination, it makes his stories even more troublesome. But Haneke is a great filmmaker and deep-thinking philosopher, and that makes his movies something bigger than just cinematic equivalent of John Zorn's Naked City.
This night wounds time.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2015 at 08:34
Not really a movie, but a Netflix produced series, I am just finnished with the Daredevil series.

This was a really intence trip of a series, April 10, 2015, and I saw it all in 2-3 days, and it was an intence moment. Series is really dark and gritty, but also got humor, and witty dialoge, drama, suspence and neusiating scenes. Splendid fight scenes, brutal vissual violence, insane scenes sometimes, that will shake you to the core. Matt Murdock is a very complex character with lots of mysticisme surrounding him, hes quest to save "HIS" city, "HIS" Hells Kitchen, is very captivating and intence ride. Wilson Fisks thinks hes doing the good work in building upp his nighbour hood without realising hes the cause of all the toxity in Hells Kitchen, hes twisted personality, is so nervthrilling and hes monumentual size and brutal outbursts, will shake your inner core, to rubbel.  Very good sidecharacters, and the plot is ever so captivating and intruiging as it could be, crime, gore, pulp-fiction, vigialnte; all the good stuff goes hand in hand with an overall atmospher that have so many facetts you sit on the tip of your chair in exietment, waiting for season 2.

its a strong 9/10
ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ole-the-first Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2015 at 10:23
Cría cuervos

Ana Torrent's essential performance. I've never seen kids who could play that terrifically good before. Although the director Carlos Saura cited Luis Buñuel as major influence, I see a lot of Bergman-esque existential family drama in this picture. Especially in the scenes where Ana, grown up, performed by Geraldine Chaplin, reads the monologues about her childhood impressions — I easily can imagine Liv Ullmann on her place.
This night wounds time.
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2015 at 08:40

So what is it exactly with French people and underwater documentaries? This is a very interesting take on the format, being more about the almost transcendental spiritual experience of descending into the deeps from which life sprang originally. Not really a documentary as we know it, but a nice way to unwind and even be disturbed a bit. (man, octopi are weird... as are sea snakes in motion) Though there are times where Eric Serra's music soundtrack doesn't quite fit the images on screen.

The occasional dodgy special effects shot aside, this is every bit as effective as back in 1954 because of how serious it takes the entire atomic monster concept. Like I say there seem to be a good deal of repressed collective guilt and trauma about WW2 informing Japanese exploitation film, which you can see here in one of the most famous manifestations. Not just is the monster an obvious allegory for the nuclear bomb, but you can see that in how the monster is defeated with a biological weapon designed by a guilt-wracked WW2 veteran while it's peacefully asleep. For those who don't know their Asian history, Japanese war crimes during WW2 include the use of biochemical weapons on the Chinese (including on civilians). Notice that director Ishiro Honda served with the Imperial Japanese Army during the occupation of China...

Interesting to watch the film so short after reading the book. It's curious how well French filmmakers took to American hard-boiled crime fiction, treating the genre with way more respect than it received in its country of origin... perhaps on account of there being a strong spiritual kinship between French existentialist authors like Albert Camus and US crime novelists like Cornell Woolrich? It's curious to see how many scenes from the book are there almost verbatim, but in a different order. The narrative structure also spends more time getting inside the title character's head, and adds a distinctly Roman Catholic obsession with guilt and justice to the story's central themes. (something there wasn't in the book) As usual for Francois Truffaut, there is of course some of the best use of visual/music synchronisation and grammatical structuring of camera movement and editing I've ever seen. The way he structures picture composition around architecture is also a sublime sight to behold.

"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2015 at 12:10
'Transcendence' with Johhny Depp......sci-fi 'thriller' about AI with Depp as a scientist who's brain gets uploaded into a computer network. Mediocre acting...mediocre script...mediocre special effects.
Haquin
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2015 at 13:08
"Maggie"
Arnold Schwarzennegger
Abigail Breslin

This is a zombie movie that is not really about zombies in the traditional sense.
It takes place in a rural farming community during a global zombie epidemic.
Arnie plays the father of a teenage girl (Breslin) that has been bitten and will continue
to turn and become a threat.
In this film it takes a few weeks to turn so the story is really about the relationship
between father and daughter as he watches her slow transition. 
I liked the way Arnie handled a role that was not typical for him and I thought Breslin
did an exceptional job as the daughter.
mithrandir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mithrandir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 14:01
The Raid: Redemption - total video game movie, I do appreciate the minimal plot and straight into the action within 5 minutes, the choreographed fighting was impressive, really no different than Kung Fu movies of the past just more modern and slick, lot of cool tense moments too, by the end it was all getting a little tedious but I really enjoyed it, 7/10
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 158159160161162 216>