Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 160161162163164 215>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2015 at 20:21
Trainspotting.

I liked the movie, ... but ... there's something missing.

"Choose life. Choose a job. Choose a starter home. Choose dental insurance, leisure wear and matching luggage. Choose your future. But why would anyone want to do a thing like that?"

You can choose a decent life or you can choose to become trash. But when everything in life has lost its meaning and you don't want to become trash, what do you become? Or what can you choose to become?

I think I know what the movie is missing. (Hint: a shrink's phone number.)

Choose a direction. Choose a place. See if imagination, talent, and tolerance of unsatisfying jobs choose you ... or not. Wink

Edited by Dayvenkirq - August 22 2015 at 20:42
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2015 at 21:37
The Cabin In The Woods

Joss Whedon co-directed and written film about a group of college students unknowingly used in an ancient ritual to appease the Old Gods. Interesting twist on the demonic horror film with pretty  good special effects...but ultimately turns into  your basic slasher film even with the different ideas involved.
For fans of Whedon.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2015 at 13:26

Italian 1980s horror movie about a mysterious cinema that while showing a strange horror film cause the audience to become possessed by demons and start attacking each other. It's not very long, but almost every scene is bursting with inventiveness in almost every aspect, and quite a bit of very morbid humour. Helps that like most Italian horror films it's very surrealistic in its entire sensibility and runs more on "dream logic" than traditional narratology.

Also, I love how damn 1980s it is right down to that soundtrack.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2015 at 14:29
^ I bet you are also into Lucio Fulci stuff.

Honestly, I didn't even find Demons innovative (aside from make-up, ... I think).

Edited by Dayvenkirq - August 25 2015 at 14:43
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2015 at 14:33
Haven't seen any of Fulci's movies as a matter of fact, but a friend of mine from college who's something of an expert on horror films as she's studied it academically (having majored in film/media studies) happens to be an admirer of his.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2015 at 02:59
In the weekend, I watched this:

Swedish comedy about a young man who has becomes hopelessly square and upright as a reaction against his dysfunctional bohemian parents, then has to be shocked into thinking for himself by several friends who want to enlist him in getting their new business started. Along the road, he gets tangled up in a bunch of con artists trying to scam each other out of their money.

It's not bad at all and quite witty, just somewhat darker and nowhere as goofy as the advertising promises often touching on some rather serious subject matter in some of the later plot twists.

Edited by Toaster Mantis - September 08 2015 at 03:00
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdtprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2015 at 04:13

This movie about a old rock star is hilarious at times mainly because of the Sean Penn character...
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infocat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2015 at 12:59
I tried watching The Big Lebowski for the first time last night.  I am generally a fan of Coen Brothers movies, but this one I could not abide.  I turned it off just over half way through.  It seemed to have no point, was not very funny, and I simply did not enjoy it.  Am I wrong?

(yes, there are some quotable lines  LOL.)
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ole-the-first Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2015 at 18:05
Targets (1968)
An exciting psychological thriller about a mass killing spree. Quite unusual role for Boris Karloff who portrays a retiring horror movies star. This might be one of his best screen performances ever.

Edited by ole-the-first - September 08 2015 at 18:06
This night wounds time.
ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ole-the-first Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2015 at 18:17
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

The Cabin In The Woods

Joss Whedon co-directed and written film about a group of college students unknowingly used in an ancient ritual to appease the Old Gods. Interesting twist on the demonic horror film with pretty  good special effects...but ultimately turns into  your basic slasher film even with the different ideas involved.
For fans of Whedon.

I believe this film was more of a spoof on slasher films, wasn't it? I found it quite funny.
This night wounds time.
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdtprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2015 at 03:38
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

I tried watching The Big Lebowski for the first time last night.  I am generally a fan of Coen Brothers movies, but this one I could not abide.  I turned it off just over half way through.  It seemed to have no point, was not very funny, and I simply did not enjoy it.  Am I wrong?

(yes, there are some quotable lines  LOL.)

This movie was not well received by all at first but it become a cult movie. I watched the whole thing 10 years ago and i remember that the story was a bit awkward, but there was funny moments as usual with the Cohen Brothers and the characters are interesting. It's a movie that you have to watch at least twice.

Emile M. Cioran

SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltyJon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2015 at 05:56
Went and saw A Walk in the Woods tonight. Had the entire theater to myself (maybe because I went to a 10pm showing on a Monday night?) which really just added to the effect. It was an enjoyable movie, lots of laughs throughout. As they are middle-aged/older men, Redford and Nolte pulled off the middle-aged/older guys well. The movie made me realise two things: one, that I still haven't read the couple of Bryson books I've picked up over the years, and two, that I need to get out and hike more often. One of my fave quotes from the movies so far was something along the lines of "books are TV for smart people." The ending was a wee bit abrupt, but apart from that it was well done. Kristen Schaal's role was...a bit odd, but then there's not a problem with odd.
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltyJon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2015 at 09:28
Saw Dragon Blade earlier this evening. I assume part of it was seeing it right after the delightful movie which was A Walk in the Woods, but...the fight scenes were just "okay" compared to several other Chinese historical (note: the "historical" in reference to this movie may or may not be a bit exaggerated) martial arts related films, none of the main actors seemed quite on top of their game (Jackie Chan, for example, played his part pretty much entirely straight, and for me one of his strengths as an actor is the silliness he brings), and the child in the movie...I'm sure he was intended to bring on some sort of emotional response, and he did...annoyance/anger. I think they were aiming for more of a pity or something along those lines. He (and several other characters) seemed to have a bit of an issue with the audio of what they were saying and what their lips were saying matching up. The music was typical bland grandiose music you can associate with this sort of film, the special effects were sometimes pretty suspect...meh. Very mediocre movie overall, and to top it off I wasn't alone in the theater tonight (two others showed up right as the previews were starting and didn't shut up until the movie had been playing already for a few minutes).
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2015 at 14:10
Originally posted by SaltyJon SaltyJon wrote:

Chinese historical (note: the "historical" in reference to this movie may or may not be a bit exaggerated) martial arts related films

The word you're looking for is wuxia.
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdtprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2015 at 14:24
A rare movie with no violence, no silly jealousy and romance. A good road movie in Iceland, funny, joyful...
Land Ho! (2014) Poster

Emile M. Cioran

SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltyJon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2015 at 23:57
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

Originally posted by SaltyJon SaltyJon wrote:

Chinese historical (note: the "historical" in reference to this movie may or may not be a bit exaggerated) martial arts related films

The word you're looking for is wuxia.

Yeah, I'm familiar with the term. I just don't know if most readers of the forums are or not, so I figured I'd just post it as a 'historical' film.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2015 at 18:01
Temple Grandin.

If you've done some cursory reading about this woman, then it's pretty much like seeing the film (though the optical illusion and the door-to-the-new-world parts are the ones I would have missed if I haven't seen it). It was pretty good. It gives an interesting and clear insight into the mind of an autistic person. Claire Danes did a very good job. Ditto for David Strathairn.

Too bad I couldn't rent it on iTunes, so I bought it for $14.99 + tax.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - September 19 2015 at 18:06
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2015 at 18:15
^ It is pretty good, though the real Temple Grandin is far less eccentric than Danes portrayed her.  But that's showbiz I guess.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2015 at 23:11
^ I suppose the young Temple Grandin is different from the old Temple Grandin. Could medication have something to do with that?
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2015 at 23:44
Not sure, but today's Grandin definitely has little of the squeaky gesticulations of Claire Dane's version.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 160161162163164 215>