Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 161162163164165 216>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2015 at 09:13

So here in the weekend I watched the last attempt at a Western version of Godzilla, the 1999 one I haven't seen but heard it's apparently quite bad. This one does a very good job at combining both the lumbering cataclysmic dread of the Japanese 1954 original with more conventional Hollywood disaster action, right down to balancing the mythical allegory for humanity meddling with forces they cannot control with a more involved plot and realistic perspective. (two filmmaking traditions that are decidedly different)
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2015 at 23:43
Ip Man.

Fantastic. This is an excellent mix of drama and action. The acting is great, and the camera work and script couldn't be better. Well known as a mentor to Bruce Lee, this man must be a symbol of solidarity to the Chinese people. When the people of Fo Shan needed strength, he gave it to them. Indomitable spirit commands admiration.

Now, when you make a movie set in a time of war, you don't want to make it about the nations warring against each other, opening up arrogance. I believe it has to be about fighting malice. However, in that same movie Master Ip did say: 

Quote Although martial arts involves armed forces, but Chinese martial arts is Confucius in spirit. The virtue of martial arts is benevolence. You Japanese will never understand the principle of treating others as you would yourselves, ... .

I don't know if he meant all the people of Japan or just the soldiers. I guess we'll never know.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - September 21 2015 at 23:48
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2015 at 21:29
The Blind Swordsman: Zatoichi.

A movie about a blind masseur who has a fuzzy moral code by which he stands by for the innocent and takes revenge on behalf of a couple of siblings. On his way he meets a swordhandle-happy ronin who takes care for his woman (probably his wife) that he actually leaves in what seems to be denial of romance.

Overall, the movie was quite good. However, it could really do with shorter music and dance numbers and without the sound overdubs that I found rather distracting. I mean: this is a samurai movie, not a musical. Some of the soundtrack could also use some work. But, like I said, the film was pretty enjoyable.
mithrandir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mithrandir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2015 at 22:27
Green Inferno - eh 4/10
King Only View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King Only Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2015 at 13:21
Somewhere. Directed by Sofia Coppola.

This film got a lot of bad reviews but I really enjoyed it.

Almost no 'plot', just a month in the life of the main character. 

Reminded me of Brett Easton Ellis's novels but a bit more restrained.

Edited by King Only - October 02 2015 at 13:29
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2015 at 14:21
That's almost a contradiction in terms, that comparison... isn't it?
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ole-the-first Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2015 at 14:42
Only God Forgives. Kinda disappointing flick by Nicolas Winding Refn. It's just like Fear X, just a bit more visually stylish.

Mćnd & hřns. Dark & pervert but very smart and funny grotesque black comedy by Anders Thomas Jensen. This might be his finest direcror's work. At least it's no weaker than Adams Ćbler.

Edited by ole-the-first - October 02 2015 at 14:45
This night wounds time.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2015 at 21:47
The Martian.

Matt Damon's character Mark Watney is left on Mars for hundreds of sols, or Martian days (1 sol = 24 hours, 39 minutes, and 35.244 seconds), with some living space, equipment, a rover, and limited food supplies. So, he has to "science the s#!t out of this". The cast, especially Damon, nicely deliver the script (mainly because it's excellent), and no one was overly dramatic. And Kate Mara (of the much-hated recent Fantastic Four) with Kristen Wiig (of SNL) get a serious career boost.

Thoroughly engaging. Why would you not watch it? Points for Ridley Scott.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - October 03 2015 at 21:50
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2015 at 06:11

Feels like Michelangelo Antonioni's Blow-Up re-interpreted as an overt horror movie. Even starts the same main actor, this time playing a pianist who becomes the only witness to the murder of a psychic medium, and several key scenes are structured as explicit homages to that film. As usual for Italian horror movies, it plays more on "dream logic" than traditional narrative rules as the labyrinthine plot makes most sense as allegory involving multiple layers of metaphors for the struggle between esoteric occultism and Roman Catholic Christianity, changing gender roles in the 1970s as well as the existential alienation and spiritual atomization of the individual subject inherent in modern civilization.

The cinematography, while not quite as overtly surrealistic as the other film of Dario Argento's I've seen, is also still quite something. He makes extremely well thought out use of the geometric symbolism in the architecture filmed on as the backbone of the visual compositions, as well as chiaroscure colour contrasts puncutated by red and green complimentary highlights.

Edited by Toaster Mantis - October 05 2015 at 06:15
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2015 at 23:48
A Song to Remember

Beautiful old charmer from '45 on young Frédéric Chopin, almost completely fictitious, photographed in glimmering Technicolor by the great Tony Gaudio and brought to life by the cast, particularly Paul Muni's Józef Elsner, Chopin's eccentric teacher and manager.   If you enjoy sentimental oldies as Houdini or The Adventures of Robin Hood, this one is worth a look.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2015 at 09:44
Rush.  Nice one.  A lot more engaging than the typical bland sports movies and brought out the clash of personalities between Lauda and Hunt very well.  My dad doesn't like F1 (hates it, more to the point) and he sat down to watch the film, finding it to be interesting.  
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2015 at 15:14

Finally got around to watching this. I love how that in JL Godard's films the complexity in how they're put together (both technically and thematically) are mostly invisible until you start thinking about them. This one is a very simple store of two young men stuck at dead ends in their lives, planning a heist when one of them discovers that his girlfriend's landlord is embezzling from the clients, just using masterful visual and creative use of music it really conveys the mood and atmosphere of their situation and show every facet of their existence. Then there's how I've seen few other films which balance comedy and drama anywhere as well as this. Also serves very well as a time capsule of France in the early 1960s, not just in terms of fashion/decor but culture and sociology too.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2015 at 17:34
On The Waterfront.

It was OK, but I think it would still work without the romantic sub-plot (which, I feel, adds nothing to the main course of the film). Maybe it's supposed to be some kind of a breather from all the union-related business. Plus, the main story does not appear to have much detail. A very simple and short story.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2015 at 14:23
Jupiter Ascending

Earth girl ,Mila Kunis, discovers she is an alien princess. With the help of a modified human, Channing Tatum,  she fights the evil space lords and wins ownership of earth.
For sci-fi fans only....good special effects but weak tale.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdtprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2015 at 16:43
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Jupiter Ascending

Earth girl ,Mila Kunis, discovers she is an alien princess. With the help of a modified human, Channing Tatum,  she fights the evil space lords and wins ownership of earth.
For sci-fi fans only....good special effects but weak tale.

Yes only for sci-fi fans which i am not, but i watched it... I found Mr. Tatum kind of funny with his look.
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2015 at 16:55
'Gone Girl'.......with Ben Affleck and Rosamund Pike, based on the novel of the same name.
Affleck's wife of 5 years  goes missing- presumed dead ,and he gets the blame.....the tale unfolds with several twists. A decent murder mystery /drama....though I didn't particularly care for the ending which might be the same as the book but I didn't read it.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2015 at 17:42
^ Completely depraved story and characters, no sympathy for any of them.   Repugnant film.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2015 at 19:08
^ Same here. How can one relate to any of the characters? Plus, I found the story to be rather unrealistic, and that scene where the wife cuts Desi's throat ... while sc%&wing him ... I personally found that laughable.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - October 25 2015 at 19:12
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2015 at 21:12
Avengers: Age of Ultron

Surprisingly undisappointing sequel with James Spader perfectly cast as an angry but brilliant AI android unleashed by a mind-altered Tony Stark.   Perhaps not quite as entertaining as the first but a decent script was proffered and the visual effects are well-rendered.

TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2015 at 22:19
^ I thought it was interesting that James Spader's android had s similar personality and sense of humor as Raymond Reddington. I didn't pick up on it at first but it became more obvious as the movie progressed.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 161162163164165 216>