Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 165166167168169 216>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2015 at 01:15
Originally posted by *frinspar* *frinspar* wrote:

Replace "Star Wars" with "prog" and everything you wrote still works. Wink 

Don't know if you hoped to get a rise out of me with that but I am not really much of a dyed-in-wool prog fan and happen to think anyway that much of it today is just a nostalgia trip for an age that's long gone.

This is both condescending and a little elitist. Why is having simple fun something to be frowned upon, or at the very least, compartmentalized as something you feel you should "lower" yourself to enjoy?  
It is my case that the way superhero movies are made today seem to frown upon the idea of having, as you call it, 'simple fun'.  What's wrong if a superhero movie is just simple and straight up anyway? I am driving at something else, which is that trying to make it look complicated and intelligent seems to be necessary to make the viewer think they are watching something worthwhile, when in fact it is just fantasy.  Superheros don't exist anyway, so trying very hard to build a logic of realism for it seems like a futile exercise.  

Why shouldn't a superhero movie challenge the viewer anyway?

I didn't say they can't but I am also allowed to react to it as a viewer.  I am not going to mince words just so that the target audience of such films may feel good about it.  

Comic books and comic writers tried to handle a lot of taboo and fringe topics long before any other mainstream outlets over the years.
Green Arrow and Captain America dealt with junkies long before it was "safe" to do so.

Not familiar with either so will pass on this.

Also, the superhero movies aren't really heavy and dense. They're packed with info because they're trying to pack in several big event stories into a handful of movies, but they're not terribly challenging.

I meant heavy and dense more in the sense of lacking a sense of humour and an acknowledgment of the suspension of disbelief that goes hand in hand with the genre.  I have the Nolan-Batman films in particular in mind.  As Joker would ask, why so serious? Speaking of which, I did enjoy Dark Knight for the irreverence Ledger brought to the role but the next one was way too heavy with a very boring villain.

And, "serious films" these days can be just as vapid and bloated, and subjective, as any obvious popcorn movie. Usually more so.

Sure, but that depends on which film.  I just don't think re-running half century old franchises is a terribly original exercise to begin with.  Even less so than Flower Kings.

Cool. I just watched and let it happen, and had fun. I didn't try to make myself feel better than everyone in the theater by overthinking things and sitting back with smug smirk of satisfaction by figuring out the plot devices in a kid's movie before they played out on-screen. Tongue

So somebody's clearly offended.  I can't help it if the film is that predictable.  It's great that you didn't find it so, congrats but the film followed the template of sci-fi fantasy to the book.  It takes an extreme degree of wonderment to not know that there's going to be a bomb/weapon that the enemy camp will set off which, miraculously at the last minute is defused by the heroes.  

You know what, I don't care if you think my views are elitist and condescending and whatever else you may wish to attribute to those.  They are what they are and I am not going to back down.  This is not a Star Wars appreciation thread, so there's no obligation on me to be nice just for the sake of it. I described my own reaction to the film without imposing it on anybody else but apparently some people are thin skinned enough to take offence to even that.

Edited by rogerthat - December 27 2015 at 01:21
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2015 at 01:19
We had a SW Appreciation thread that I started waaay back in '06--  closed now, no doubt due to lack of interest  Tongue
http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=30381&PN=7

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2015 at 08:15
Star Wars - The Force Awakens...
...but the audience snoozes.

So my son (23) and I went to see this highly hyped piece of cinema yesterday. I have to admit to being a little disappointed. Mostly with the thin writing and dull plot progression. I've been a SW fan, more or less, since the first one came out in '77, but J.J. kinda missed the mark IMHO. Sure, there were lots of action(ish) sequences and the cinematography was impressive, but it seemed completely lacking any suspense or engaging plot development. I could easily sum up the entire move in probably two or three sentences.

No spoilers here...if you want to go see it, have at 'er. But be forewarned, this is an unsatisfying story that takes a back seat to the visual dressings of the franchise. Characters and plot should be the core of a movie, not an inconvenience.

I'm not even sure where to place this movie in the SW hierarchy, but it's not in the top 5 as far as I'm concerned. They better step up the game for Episode Vlll.

Live long and prosper!
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2015 at 20:57
Interstellar.

When I started watching this movie I was expecting some kind of a logical plot to it. I really don't know what kind of a powerful cocktail the Nolans were on when they decided to lump together theoretical sci-fi, whacky sci-fi (a la Space Odyssey and Solaris), and drama. And it felt like those three were getting in each other's way. However, the soundtrack is effective, if limited, and the visual effects are spectacular.

Perhaps I'm just not that large of a mind to be able to take it all in. As some of you can see, what I'm trying to say here is that the film was really hard to follow, especially since you can't hear what the characters are saying. The sound job was rather poorly done. When something blasts, it's way too loud, and when McConaughey speaks, you wish he enunciated (not his fault, of course!).

Don't watch the whole thing in one sitting like I did, or you will, in the words of Lewis Black, "jump in your shoe and drive away". And I just gotta say this: Damon and Chastain doing two space movies within about two years ... why? What happened there?

Edited by Dayvenkirq - December 28 2015 at 19:00
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2015 at 21:29
^^  I'm not sure when, or if, I will watch the new Star Wars but I saw today that it reached one billion dollars at the box office in twelve days.
Recently, Jurassic World reached one billion dollars in thirteen days.
I know this means nothing in regard to how good the movie is but I thought it was interesting.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2015 at 00:55
silver linings playbook 5 stars
grand Bucharest hotel 5 stars
gone girl 5 stars
Big smileApprove
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2015 at 04:28
^^^ The movie sounded great in 9.1, when I saw it on the theater, but we use subtitles here, so it was easier to follow Tongue

^^ I didn't see it with any expectations, Star Wars to me was always about entertainment, not the kind of movies I overthink about, and it was more entertaining than Phantom Menace LOL If I want less predictable plots and more complex characters, I'll read the comics.
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2015 at 23:52
Starman.

I have mixed feelings about this one. I wanted to like it, but I also had high expectations (and I can't help it with high expectations).

It's 1984. People have already seen Blade Runner and E.T. and were being spoiled with the seminal and suspenseful Terminator. Starman really pales in comparison.

On one hand you have the first half of the movie with thoughtful dialogue and funny exchanges. On the other hand there's the rest of the film, in which the plot gets more boring and the script does not always make sense. Starman, the alien protagonist, develops human feelings (huh), talks about his kind being civilized and savage at the same time, unlike humans (oh, yeah!), and comments that "[human beings] are at [their] very best when things are worst" (well, that's debatable, innit?).

Now, about the movie as a whole. Dumb ideas and moments are put in the script to push the story and subplots through, like asking a guy to blow up a gasoline canister for a distraction (that good ol'-fashioned American courtesy everybody speaks of). Moreover, the soundtrack is half-T1-style and half-orchestrated, but nothing spectacular. Lastly, something about Jeff Bridges' performance as an alien doesn't stick (though he got nominated for an Oscar anyway), and you'd wish the hot Karen Allen tried harder by not being so strangely temperamental.

Some people figured the film to be E.T. for adults (just make a mental note of it) if such a thing is possible. That means that I have to watch E.T. again.

I wanted to like Starman, but I also had high expectations (and I can't help it with high expectations). It's nice to see John Carpenter doing something different, but he's made it pretty clear that he could do sci-fi thrillers way better than he could do sci-fi dramas.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - December 30 2015 at 00:07
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2015 at 19:19
Star Wars: The Force Awakens

As I feared, Star Wars, for all intent and purposes, is over.  

At least the eccentric, brilliant, quirky, and creatively wondrous world given us by a quiet filmmaker named George Lucas has come to an end.   As any real fan will tell you, it isn't enough to look and sound like Star Wars.   It must, without question, feel like it, and this bland imitation does not seem to feel like anything other than a new sci-fi product meant to cash-in.   I kept asking myself why The Force Awakens felt like a Star Trek flick, and then it hit me: J.J. Abrams has done it again, except this time he's nearly wrecked a long-beloved saga and turned it into a mini-series with casting rejects from Game of Thrones.

I suppose it was inevitable.   Everything changes or comes to an end.   But before leaving the meeting with execs from Disney, George Lucas should have turned and said, "Oh one other thing; you have to hire Star Wars fans; people who deeply know and understand the Star Wars galaxy. Otherwise I'm taking me and my rights with me to the grave."   But he didn't, and now we'll probably have another decade of mediocre pabulum to choke down before someone comes along and says "Uh, yeah, let's do this series justice and lose the sentimental emptiness; the audience isn't stupid-- They're Listening.  Remember?"  

I hesitate to describe the story as there is none, and any highlights would spoil the plot.   Suffice to say if you love the SW Universe, be prepared to be left feeling empty and befuddled as you depart the theater in a confused haze muttering to yourself about how a once great legacy has become Battlestar Galactica.   Yeah, no thanks.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2016 at 05:21
Sicario

Visceral portrayal of a naive FBI agent and her immersion in the wet work quietly done by CIA/DoD at the U.S.-Mexican border.   Taylor Sheridan's acute script and the penetrating direction of Denis Villeneuve make for one of the most intimate and original thrillers in years rendered with mesmerizing suspense, tension and paranoia.

Edited by Atavachron - January 16 2016 at 05:36
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2016 at 04:37
The Martian

In what could've amounted to Castaway on Mars, this movie refreshes that motif as stranded astronaut Matt Damon uses all his scientific skills and resources to survive on the Red Planet.   The Martian doesn't have the soul of Moon, human aloneness of Gravity or historic truth of Apollo 13 and is largely a populist flick, but the pace is clean and the script doesn't dillydally with typical sci-fi plot points.   Solid entertainment.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2016 at 02:19
Everest

Low energy if mildly effective mountaineering drama about the '96 Everest disaster with Jake Gyllenhaal good as an earthy veteran climber and Jason Clarke a by-the-book leader.   But the tone is so easygoing and cast so wan that the film pales when compared to the tense action portrayed in the trailers.   A moving tribute in the end but disappointing overall, often just dull, and not the epic mountain thriller we've been waiting for but no one seems able to make.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2016 at 08:49
I watched two Vietnam war movies in the past week:
- Full Metal Jacket: it seems like two completely different movies in one, the first one being the best. D'Onofrio's acting is great, as always.
- Apocalypse Now (expanded version): much better than FMJ, it didn't seem twice as long. It's interesting how the movie gets darker and darker throughout the journey.
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2016 at 09:38
^  You're right about FMJ being like two movies in one with the first half being about training and the second half being "in country". 
Interestingly, R. Lee Ermey was the technical adviser and wanted the role of Gunnery Sergeant Hartman but Kubrick had someone else in mind until he saw the barracks audition scene where Hartman gives everyone their nicknames. After that the role was his.

There's quite a bit of (behind the scenes/the making of) information about Apocalypse Now that is very interesting. Do a search sometime and look into it. 
I've always preferred the original version to the extended version though.

If you haven't seen Platoon you should give it a try.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2016 at 10:15
^ At least the second part has Adam Baldwin in it. He always does the same kind of role but it's always funny Tongue
I can't imagine anyone else doing that role.

It sure looks like a very difficult movie to shoot. I saw that the longest part they added was the one with the French, which I think gave another perspective to the story... and the French lady is prettier than the playmate of the year Embarrassed

Thanks, I'll keep it in mind.
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2016 at 10:32
^  Adam Baldwin (Animal Mother) did a great job.
(I was in all three places that were named in the movie but it was two years later)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2016 at 05:12
Irrational Man

Woody Allen's clever 2015 drama has a womanizing college professor who decides to turn to murder in order to bring meaning back to his life.   Twisted, sardonic, grimly amusing, Woody lends his sharp eye for human psychology and the line between morality & reality to a strong script.   Reminiscent of his Crimes and Misdemeanors from '89, Irrational Man, though far from his best, is superior to anything he's done in at least five years.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2016 at 05:46
Truth

Absorbing if not terribly sincere telling of journalist Mary Mapes' 2005 memoir ~ Truth and Duty:The Press,the President, and the Privilege of Power ~ about the 60 Minutes story on George W. Bush's National Guard service and the controversial documents used to account for the special treatment he allegedly received.   Robert Redford is outstanding, giving a subtle performance as Dan Rather, and Cate Blanchett typically good as Mapes.   Taking inspiration from All the President's Men though not nearly as riveting, Truth echoes a continuity of integrity in news and journalists under fire during both Watergate and the Killian Documents Controversy.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2016 at 03:14
Bridge of Spies

A script about simple human dignity is not what one normally expects from the Coens but with the help of Matt Charman and Steven Spielberg, unsung hero James B. Donovan's amazing story is condensed into dramatic form.   It's 1960 and the Cold War is about to blow up into a hot one as Donovan struggles to exchange one Soviet spy for a CIA pilot and a college student while being thwarted at every turn by both the KGB and U.S., all posturing to win release of the men on their own terms.   The standout here is master thespian Mark Rylance (Wolf Hall) in a fascinating and nuanced portrayal of Soviet spy and British national Rudolf Abel.   Recommended.   

emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emigre80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2016 at 07:33
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Truth

Absorbing if not terribly sincere telling of journalist Mary Mapes' 2005 memoir ~ Truth and Duty:The Press,the President, and the Privilege of Power ~ about the 60 Minutes story on George W. Bush's National Guard service and the controversial documents used to account for the special treatment he allegedly received.   Robert Redford is outstanding, giving a subtle performance as Dan Rather, and Cate Blanchett typically good as Mapes.   Taking inspiration from All the President's Men though not nearly as riveting, Truth echoes a continuity of integrity in news and journalists under fire during both Watergate and the Killian Documents Controversy.

sounds interesting, I will check this one out.  thanks for the tip.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 165166167168169 216>