Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 166167168169170 216>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2016 at 13:39
Originally posted by emigre80 emigre80 wrote:

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Truth

Absorbing if not terribly sincere telling of journalist Mary Mapes' 2005 memoir ~ Truth and Duty:The Press,the President, and the Privilege of Power ~ about the 60 Minutes story on George W. Bush's National Guard service and the controversial documents used to account for the special treatment he allegedly received.   Robert Redford is outstanding, giving a subtle performance as Dan Rather, and Cate Blanchett typically good as Mapes.   Taking inspiration from All the President's Men though not nearly as riveting, Truth echoes a continuity of integrity in news and journalists under fire during both Watergate and the Killian Documents Controversy.

sounds interesting, I will check this one out.  thanks for the tip.
That movie got a really bad rep in the press: http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2015/10/truth-a-terrible-terrible-movie-about-journalism/412036/

Its credibility was also questioned in a magazine (I think it's Entertainment Weekly, though I'm not 100% positive on that one). There's an article in which a group of people (a journalist and somebody else, whose names escape me) just made some critical remarks about it, calling it "half-truth".

Edited by Dayvenkirq - February 07 2016 at 13:40
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2016 at 15:39
The Sea Inside.

About Ramón Sampedro, a former sailor who was rendered quadriplegic in his prime. He lost his job and the ability to travel. He lost his independence. He lost opportunities. He lost interest. Ramón could do anything with his life, but all he had was "scraps" of himself (although he did manage to write a book). Having lost the will to live, he started what would become a 28-year-long fight for the right to die. Having been pressured to live for various reasons made those long years of incapacitation even less bearable. He would find himself experiencing physical and emotional discomfort on a daily basis, living a life of disappointment - a rather torturous way to live. Surprisingly, this is a concept that, after all these years, some of his family still could not comprehend. This strikes me as a kind of matter that is more about what is to be lost, not who. Needless to say, the film informs us that the right to die is a kind of freedom that comes with a great responsibility. It requires a lot of thought on the matter of the wages of such an act, but then again, you have to think about what a life like this can do to your mind. After all, as it was repeatedly stated in the movie, "life is a right, not an obligation."

The Sea Inside does not require much of thematic exploration as it manages to be quite concise with regards to its themes - the meaning of life, fear of death, poverty, codependence, and true love (and how love and death intertwine). (Does love mean being an emotionally codependent slave?) Some of the movie's content is just as I predicted, but that's not a bad thing at all. It only illustrates certain moments that I'm sure a lot of us can relate to.

On an additional note, at first it was unclear to me why Ramón at one time said "... this hell is worth living in if I can meet people like you." Then I figured that perhaps he still enjoyed some human connection, even after decades that could have left him (nearly) emotionally bankrupt.

Great acting, script, and camera work are the biggest merits of this movie, which won an Oscar for Best Foreign Film (Spain). There isn't a minute wasted as the main plot and the subplots are in full motion. However, I found the part about Ramón and Julia's (his first lawyer's!) fantasy moments in their relationship a bit unrealistic. Also, I'm not quite sure if the characters have been a bit too forthright to be credible, or maybe I'm just being picky. Hey, it's just a movie based on a true story.

Overall, I knew I couldn't go wrong with the movie. No matter how you feel about how the events in the film unfolded, you have to agree that it was well-crafted.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - February 11 2016 at 08:52
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2016 at 18:13
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

That movie got a really bad rep in the press: http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2015/10/truth-a-terrible-terrible-movie-about-journalism/412036/
Its credibility was also questioned in a magazine (I think it's Entertainment Weekly, though I'm not 100% positive on that one). There's an article in which a group of people (a journalist and somebody else, whose names escape me) just made some critical remarks about it, calling it "half-truth".

I got that impression as well when I saw it, hadn't even heard about the controversy.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2016 at 00:47
99 Homes

Terrific storytelling from Ramin Bahrani has Michael Shannon as a hardnosed real estate agent and Andrew Garfield his recently evicted and newly hired dirty-worker.   Painful, profoundly chilling and real, 99 Homes reaches to the core of true loss and genuine heartbreak.   Shannon rocks, Garfield is perfect, and Bahrani's script pops with authenticity.   Maybe the best drama of 2015.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2016 at 13:53
Deadpool

hysterticly fun, great action, acting and nice choreographic violence. Ryan Rynolds was fantastc. so many funny oneliners never been so mucvh spontanity fun since Robin Williams Genie preformance

10/10

Edited by Icarium - February 13 2016 at 13:54
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2016 at 14:20
^ I saw it last night, it was surprisingly great, the funniest movie I've seen in quite some time. Even Stan Lee's cameo was hilarious LOL
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2016 at 03:49
Grandma

Lily Tomlin is perfectly cast as a bitter retired poet who spends the day trying to raise the money her teenage granddaughter needs for an abortion in this little drama from Paul Weitz.   Simple, honest and funny, Tomlin absolutely shines and Sam Elliot and Judy Greer round out a first-rate cast.

Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2016 at 04:06
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

^ I saw it last night, it was surprisingly great, the funniest movie I've seen in quite some time. Even Stan Lee's cameo was hilarious LOL
you lookl like the inside of an avocado
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2016 at 02:48
Steve Jobs

Fiercely watchable and eminently entertaining rush through the last half of Mr. Jobs' life as he mops up the floor with every idiot who thought he was nuts.   Which of course he was, but he was also right, and Steve Jobs illustrates that in the same way Apple took people by the hand and made them want to own a computer.   Jobs was no saint but when you have a vision you know will work and everyone around you is telling you you're wrong, you can either knuckle under or you can fight back, and pay the price for either.   One comes away from Steve Jobs with perhaps a touch more respect than resentment for him, and with the impression that we are seeing a distorted and inaccurate but somehow insightful peek into arguably the most significant person of the last fifty years.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2016 at 22:37
Black Mass

The violent escapades of Boston mobster James 'Whitey' Bulger is caricatured by Johnny Depp and Scott Cooper chronicling Bulger's infamous Winter Hill Gang and its alliance with the FBI in 1975 to destroy the Italian mafia.   Taking its cues from mob classics as Goodfellas, the film is a good but not great depiction of Whitey Bulger's story, never really taking off and feeling a bit stale as Depp beats, shoots and intimidates his enemies and his friends into submission, evading the law for years after.   Black Mass is a sad story of a sad man who caused more suffering than he could ever repay.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2016 at 05:16
Secret in Their Eyes

Worthily crafted version of Juan Jose Campanella & Eduardo Sacheri's novel stars the excellent Chiwetel Ejiofor as a detective haunted by the murder of his colleague's daughter, driven to find the elusive killer.   Nicole Kidman and Julia Roberts lend their considerable skills to a tight script that, though doesn't improve upon the Argentine adaptation, does hold its own as a mainstream suspense thriller with a creepy twist.

dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2016 at 08:08
Kung Fu Panda 3

A wonderful movie, the trailers did not do it justice.  If you're familiar with the series this one is the best imo.  I thought it was going to suffer from 'third in the series, take the money and run syndrome', that absolutely DID NOT HAPPEN.  If you read the many reviews out there one of the most common comments stated is how visually stunning this one is, even for an animated movie.  I'd have to agree.  If you haven't seen any of the previous movies this one is till a good to see movie.  If you've seen the other two the developers did a great job in continuing the story without watering it down and there are a lot of little things making you hope for a fourth release.  This is my own opinion but I found this movie a lot more entertaining than the "The Force Awakens".

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2016 at 12:42
^ I keep hearing great things about that whole series
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2016 at 15:36
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

Deadpool

hysterticly fun, great action, acting and nice choreographic violence. Ryan Rynolds was fantastc. so many funny oneliners never been so mucvh spontanity fun since Robin Williams Genie preformance

10/10
An excellent diversion from the standard Marvel movie. I feel there were some moments that seem to drag a bit and so many missed opportunities for some other snap banter, especially by the Vanessa character. I so badly wanted her to say "We need to get some vitamin E on that" when Wade shows his face towards the end. Oh, and  SPOILER ALERT !! Sorry about that.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2016 at 22:17
Hey, BTW, when did Colossus become Russian?
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2016 at 23:51
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Hey, BTW, when did Colossus become Russian?
since 1975 he was Russian by birth.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2016 at 06:06
Really? I had no idea. I don't read the comic book and they certainly didn't portray him that way in the early X-Men movies, although admittedly he didn't really have a lot of speaking parts.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2016 at 09:03
Any thoughts on the Oscars?  Did anyone see any of the nominated films.?
When I do go to the movies I never seem to see the ones that get nominated. Embarrassed
Did Dicaprio deserve the win? What about Spotlight..?

I thought Chris Rock's jokes on black diversity in Hollywood went on  too long. I think everyone gets it Chris especially since some actors boycotted and talked about it weeks before the event. It seemed like his whole monologue and much afterwords focused on only that.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2016 at 09:37
^Based on the "Lack" of diversity this year the Academy needed to be assaulted with a reminder of just how out of touch they are.  I'll admit some of the 'jokes' were thin and not witty by any means, but I have no problem that he carried it through his whole performance.
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emigre80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2016 at 10:00
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Any thoughts on the Oscars?  Did anyone see any of the nominated films.?
When I do go to the movies I never seem to see the ones that get nominated. Embarrassed
Did Dicaprio deserve the win? What about Spotlight..?

I thought Chris Rock's jokes on black diversity in Hollywood went on  too long. I think everyone gets it Chris especially since some actors boycotted and talked about it weeks before the event. It seemed like his whole monologue and much afterwords focused on only that.

I didn't see the show -  all our TVs are out of action due to renovations, and in any case had no interest in watching - but will say that Spotlight's win was well deserved. It was a brilliant movie, wonderful script, compelling drama and very well acted. It's a pity there was no ensemble award because the cast surely deserved one. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 166167168169170 216>