Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 170171172173174 215>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2016 at 12:57
Originally posted by BunBun BunBun wrote:

The Color of Magic - I am a pretty big Terry Pratchett fan and have read a few of his books thus far. I first came across the discworld series when I stumbled on Going Postal, another 2 part mini series based on a discworld book. Anyways, the cgi is nothing special but it is throroughly fun and hilarious in some spots. I really enjoyed it.

Le Diner de Cons (The Dinner Game) - Absolutely hilarious film. It is a french film so be prepared to read subtitles but i loved my ass off during this film. The pace never lets up and it is clever and smart from start to finish.

I LOVE Diner de Cons. One of my favourite comedies, actually. Thumbs Up
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2016 at 15:49
The Shallows

Drawn-out and unlikely thriller about a woman trapped on a reef by a shark during a day of surfing.   Tense but largely unclever, with an atmosphere somewhere between Jaws and Castaway but with little of the style or personality of either.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
BunBun View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BunBun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2016 at 10:16
Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

Originally posted by BunBun BunBun wrote:

The Color of Magic - I am a pretty big Terry Pratchett fan and have read a few of his books thus far. I first came across the discworld series when I stumbled on Going Postal, another 2 part mini series based on a discworld book. Anyways, the cgi is nothing special but it is throroughly fun and hilarious in some spots. I really enjoyed it.

Le Diner de Cons (The Dinner Game) - Absolutely hilarious film. It is a french film so be prepared to read subtitles but i loved my ass off during this film. The pace never lets up and it is clever and smart from start to finish.

I LOVE Diner de Cons. One of my favourite comedies, actually. Thumbs Up

Yep, it is now one of mine as well :)

astrowhiz View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote astrowhiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2016 at 17:27
In the past few nights I watched -

The Hunt For The Wilderpeople - A quirky comedy by Taika Waititi (What We Do In The Shadows) about a young city lad who's a bit of a rebel and misfit being adopted by a new family in the countryside. It has some funny and also poignant scenes, but doesn't really add up to very much in the end. The setup and how the story plays out is quite clichéd, but the acting is mostly excellent. Beautiful scenery of New Zealand and good cinematography. NZer's are going mad for this movie cos I think they get the in-jokes, which are a bit lost on a Brit like myself.

The Witch - A period horror set in 17th century puritan New England. It's not a typical horror movie though (like teens going to a cabin in the woods etc) more like a meticulously researched psychological family drama with supernatural elements. I loved this movie. I was brought up in a very  religious family and the tensions, fear, psychosis about demons and isolation felt very real and truthful. Great acting and good Yorkshire accents too. The director made a particular decision about the denouement of the movie, which I found interesting (and maybe not as clear cut as some people make out imo)
Borko View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2016 at 15:26
Watching The Conjuring 2 now. Halfway thru.

I could   sh*t   a more interesting film after 10 minutes on the can.

aMITYVILLE hORROR WAS  NOTHING-sh*t AND SO IS THIS.
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2016 at 17:57
I watched the new Independence Day last night and to me the plot was too much like the original. I really think they should have shaken things up a bit or maybe approached it from a different angle.
The earthlings did have an alien ally this time and the end of the movie left the promise of an immediate sequel.
Almost all of the original characters returned (20 years older) but Will Smith didn't even appear in a cameo.

Two nights ago I watched the new Tarzan and enjoyed it quite a bit. Samuel L. Jackson and Christoph Waltz 
were both excellent.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2016 at 18:36
^ Besides ID4 was basically a remake of War of the Worlds
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2016 at 18:45
^ The next one will have a different story line as Earth will join their new ally and take the fight to outer space.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2016 at 23:34
Café Society

A gravel-voiced Woody Allen narrates his 2016 entry which follows a young man to 1930s L.A. where he falls for his boss's secretary.   Classic Woody, nothing special but light and lively and romantic and funny in the manner of Radio Days or even Annie Hall.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2016 at 01:56
Lights Out

David F. Sandberg turns his 2013 short film into a feature about lights and the fact that they occasionally go out.   Playing on base fears of childhood, darkness and isolation, Lights Out does an okay job of scaring but a not so okay job of making us care about the characters (or anything else) and goes on endlessly.   Confused, erratic, distended, and poorly acted, a movie entirely worth missing.

Edited by Atavachron - October 27 2016 at 01:59
BunBun View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BunBun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2016 at 22:44
A few more movies i have watched over the past few weeks.

On Guard (Le Bossu) - A French Swashbuckling film that came out in 1997. Overall, it was a fun film, nothing great though. The swordfighting was a lot of fun and the story overall reminded me of Alexandre Dumas' stories like the Count of Monte Cristo, but the love story in the second half seemed a bit forced.

F for Fake - A fabulous documentary by Orson Welles that takes a look at how artists trick their audience and at who exactly decides the value of art. Why some pieces of art are worth so much while others are worth nothing at all. Very fun watch and while it is a documentary, it seems to be one in a very loose sense of the term.

L'Emmerdeur (A Pain in the Ass) - A 1973 french film starring Lino Ventura and Jacques Brel. A very funny movie I stumbled upon. It is probably more of a black comedy. Anyways, Ventura is a hired hitman who checks into a hotel to kill an important witness that day. Brel also checks into the same hotel and ends up being Ventura's neighbor and things go from bad to worse because Brel is suicidal, which threatens Ventura's assignment because if the police come over to take Brel away, Ventura won't be able to complete his assignment. A very fun movie.

Kiss Me Kate - Honestly, I didn't even finish this movie. I used to be a big fan of musicals but I find that more and more often, I have a hard to watching them. I still have a few favorites like Band Wagon and My Fair Lady, but this one was just average. However, I really did enjoy some of the choreography in some of the numbers.
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2016 at 03:33
Aguirre, the Wrath of God

A pretty difficulat watch. The narrative of the movie was quite indifferent at the face of death, which built a weird type of tension. The acting is also quite unusual. Now that I'm reading about it, there are quite a few hidden details I haven't noticed. Very interesting film.
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2016 at 04:14
So I watched a zero-budget 80's sci-fi/horror film called `Time Walker', which sort of had a group of archeology students digging up the sarcophagus of a long buried mummy. It had these rare jewels on it which some of the students steal, only to discover that the mummy reawakens to hunt them down and get them back....oh, and it turns out that the mummy is actually an alien, and these five jewels are all nescessary to power his sarcophagus, which is actually his spaceship or something. Also, for an alien mummy killer, he's actually kind of a decent guy, because he's leaves anyone alone who simply gives him back the jewel they took. Pretty reasonable of him, really!

I won't lie, I'm convinced it might be the greatest movie ever made. EVER.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2016 at 19:27
Doctor Strange

Benedict Cumberbatch does his best American accent as Stephen Strange, brilliant surgeon who is taught the astrodimensional arts by an ancient mystic after suffering a career-ending accident.   Tilda Swinton is perfectly cast as the mysterious Ancient One and Mads Mikkelsen never better as evil Kaecilius.   Filled with spectacular Escher-like visuals and a powerful score, Doctor Strange may be forgiven its fairly simple plot and is among a handful of films I would recommend seeing in 3D (if not IMAX).   Easily the best fantasy-adventure of the year, maybe the best thing from Marvel Studios so far.

HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2016 at 20:00
Oh, Dr. Strange was a real pleasure. I saw it in IMAX 3D. His origin story from the comics was always pretty simple and straightforward. No doubt the sequels will have more complicated plots, I expect. They are clearly interested in integrating him into the rest of the Marvel movie world, I'm happy to say. I won't reveal why I say that for the sake of those who haven't seen it. I'm always a sucker for fantasy magic, and Dr. Strange was the last comic book I continued collecting (until an unacceptable change in the creative team). I really do recommend the movie though, even if one hadn't shared my nerdy history.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2016 at 21:11
^ Yes I expect there to be a continuous pairing of Marv characters until it's just one big endless VR film

BunBun View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BunBun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2016 at 17:22
Dark Star:H.R. Giger's World - So I just finished watching it. I was looking after my neighbor's dog so I was browsing through netflix to see if anything interested me and stumbled upon this one. His artwork is fascinating and so detailed that I was just in awe of his works. His work is dark and completely other-worldly. The documentary itself was okay but not particularly immersive. The good news is that you get to look all of his weird works over the years. Overall, an interesting one-time watch for anyone interested in his work.

Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2016 at 02:07
Nightmare Sisters (1987) - Three dorky girls invite three geeky guys around for a blind date, they hold a séance and the girls get taken over by soul-sucking Succubus demons that turns them into sex vixens! A trashy but fun 80's horror/sex romp starring sleaze icon Linnea Quigley that also has moments of a cute and likable heart, total guilty pleasure territory, made on the cheap and even more amusing because of it. The recent Blu-ray of it looks terrific, and the film has probably never looked so good.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2016 at 02:12
Jason Bourne

Formulaic and unimaginative, the new Jason Bourne entry is a disappointment, especially compared to the Jeremy Renner 2012 paraquel which put things back on track nicely (though highly altered from the book and not featuring the main character).   If all we wanted from a Bourne picture is him chased around the streets of Europe we'd probably have stopped watching after the first one; I mean Audis and Ducatis whizzing down cobblestoned alleyways with horrified couples and fruit vendors looking on as our cooler-than-cool hero gracefully avoids the raindrops is always fun but it's not enough.   A good script is never forfeitable, and here both the characters and actors ~ including a clearly bored Tommy Lee Jones ~ are wasted on one redundant scene after another scooped up from the writers' reject pile.   Pitty.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2016 at 22:14
Hell or High Water

Spirited 1970s-style buddy flick about two brothers [Ben Foster,Chris Pine] raiding branches of the bank foreclosing on their family's farm.   Jeff Bridges is superb as a grizzled old Ranger on their trail and with a precise ear for Texas patois, writer Taylor Sheridan delivers sensitive, convincing dialog, the glaring, dusty midday depression of West Texas recreated perfectly by director David Mackenzie.   Partaking of the Coen Brothers' quirky portrayal of mid-America but with one foot firmly in the real world, Hell or High Water is a love letter to a disappearing part of American culture embedded in the neo-Western genre.  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 170171172173174 215>