Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 177178179180181 215>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2018 at 01:56
The Disaster Artist

Endearing if odd tale of Tommy Wiseau and Greg Sestero (James & Dave Franco) who after failing as actors in Los Angeles make their own movie.   Based on the book about the making of The Room, known as one of the worst films ever produced, both Francos are excellent in their respective parts as they struggle to figure out who they are as creators, people, and friends.   Indeed like watching a disaster unfold in slow motion, The Disaster Artist is a reasonable offering of tragicomedy, and all too human.

Edited by Atavachron - March 16 2018 at 03:01
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2018 at 01:27
Battle of the Sexes

The events leading up to the [in 1973] sociopolitically significant grudge match between tennis star Billie Jean King and hustler Bobby Riggs is what this film was supposed to be about.   In reality it is a portrait of King at her prime, by then a celebrity, and her then-secret life as a gay woman and though interesting, a closer look at King as a tennis player and the whole world of Pro Tennis would've been more compelling than the confined troubles of a woman facing a social stigma.   Both Emma Stone and Steve Carrel are first-rate and the recreation of early 70s America fairly good but things just kinda drag along as we keep waiting for something to happen, a twist, a shock, fated destinies to violently clash.   But this was real life, not melodrama, and mostly amounted to a tennis game two people played many years ago.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2018 at 02:52
Justice League

Shockingly adequate first DC team-up is fast paced and fun, liberally exploiting each archetype character.   I would've liked to have seen something a bit more original than yet another all powerful monster-god who wants to rule and/or destroy the Earth.   But that aside, though not quite on the Avengers level, Justice League was fine.   I hope the next one is even better.

MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2018 at 07:45
Lord of the Flies - 7.5/10
Thought this might be a 10 within 10 minutes, as it reminded me of "Ana-ta-had" and "Ladybug, Ladybug" .. Perfect story, themes, setting, but too much fat and not enough meat

Petulia - 7.5/10

Chloe in the Afternoon - 8/10
Probably the most accurate portrayal of the men/women game.

Claire's Knee - 7.5/10

The Man Who Fell to Earth - 4/10

Colors - 7.5/10
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2018 at 10:31
What We Do In the Shadows (2014) Directed by Jermaine Clement and Taika Waititi

The premise of four flatmates in New Zealand who are 21st Century vampires is probably the nadir of 'plausible' but a likeable cast, scalpel sharp script and a healthy respect for what is being lampooned somehow conspire to make this work brilliantly. New Zealand cinema has always punched above it's weight as evidenced by Deathgasm, Once Were Warriors, Stickmen and (early) Peter Jackson: Bad Taste, Braindead, Meet the Feebles etc. The success of the so-called 'Mockumentary' genre seems to rest entirely upon a familiarity with the target genre that often dwarfs that of it's most lauded exponents e.g. Spinal Tap. The only precedent I can cite from What We Do in the Shadows is maybe, Man Bites Dog from 1992 where a camera crew are invited to follow a Belgian serial killer around for the purposes of a documentary. That sounds grim, but the makers of What We Do in the Shadows clearly understand that getting shot in the head for the contents of your purse and having your blood drained by a fictitious predeceased predator are poles apart when it comes to taste.

Edited by ExittheLemming - December 06 2019 at 20:49
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2018 at 02:29
Atomic Blonde

Largely aimless and grating foray into the Revenge genre directed by John Wick fight/stunt coordinator David Leitch has Charlize Theron as a deadly spy in search of a list of counter-agents in Cold War Berlin.   Based on graphic novel The Coldest City, the film is almost there but not quite with cloying unoriginality, an at times glacial pace, and, ironically for Leitch, fairly blah fight scenes.   Only recommended to habitues of the genre.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2018 at 04:47
The Flight of the Phoenix -- I love these kinds of movies; characters, and how they react in certain situations. If anyone has any other classic (before 1980) movies like this, or "Ana-ta-han" or "Lord of the Flies" I'd appreciate it.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2018 at 03:56
Star Wars:Episode Vlll - The Last Jedi

Barely resembling anything related to what most people know as Star Wars, this second entry in the "Star Wars Sequel Trilogy" plays-out more like Jurassic Park (or even Jumanji), and that's not really what we want.   There are some genuinely good passages and details that make The Last Jedi not a total write-off ~ in fact the story shadows Episode 4 pretty closely with many references back to that classic bit of economic storytelling ~ but for the most part I don't think this is what George Lucas had in mind.   But he sold all his rights to a company that makes sentimental family films, didn't he.

ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2018 at 04:19
Watched Tarkovsky's Stalker, surprisingly, for the first time yesterday. What a beautiful film. Enjoyed all the psychological and phylosophical themes as well as the aesthetics and the visual symbolism. Will definitely be returning to this one many many times.
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larkstongue41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2018 at 09:18
^ I love Stalker. One of two perfect Tarkovsky flims (along with Andrei Rublev; I might add The Mirror in the future). There's such an aura of mystery throughout and the way he reduces colour in select scenes makes it one of the most visually appealing films I've seen.

Long post incoming. I really should do these more often and develop my impressions more extensively but I'll try to keep it short for this time.

Melancholia - Lars Von Trier (2011)
First Von Trier film. Liked it a lot. Best portrayal of depression in cinema ever? Also quite stunning visually and I loved how he plunges you straight into the picture, no introductory credits or anything, just the title of the film and the director's name straight after the prologue. Although a bit on the cliche side, I liked the broader message of the film. 7.5/10

La Grande Illusion - Jean Renoir (1937)
Such a pleasant film. As a native french speaker, I don't remember ever hearing the french language used in such a refreshing and playful manner. Quite funny, some insightful socio-political commentary, and flwless cinematography all make up for a very enjoyable experience. 8/10

The Graduate - Mike Nichols (1967)
One of those highly acclaimed classics. I found it good at best. Apart from a few interesting shots, it was fairly unoriginal. I love Simon & Garfunkel but what was the director thinking in using "The Sound of Silence" in a scene that is supposed to show the protagonist having accomplished something  and then using "Scarborough Fair" 3 damned times in a row. That last one got me frustrated honestly. 5.5/10

Fanny & Alexander - Ingmar Begman (1982)
Decided to watch what many call the Bergman masterpiece after a long wait. I was disappointed. Bergman is one of those directors who had difficulty transitioning to colour imo (along with Fellini and Kurosawa). It serves the purpose of the film well in this case, but the colors in many of the shots make life seem bleak and dull. I've never seen a movie tackle the concept of imagination quite as skillfully as this one but I feel like it could have been developed in clearer and more meaningful way. I also can't wrap my mind around how Bergman intended this to be a series; four hours were more than enough. 6.5/10

Antichrist - Lars Von Trier (2009)
Again no introductory credit. The plot is nothing new, stories such as this one have been around for centuries but Von Trier has the skill to make it such an awful and troubling experience (which is entirely his purpose). He was able to make me look away from the screen in disgust which is enough for me to say that he is a very good director when it comes to convey emotion. Didn't like it nearly as much as Melancholia. 6/10

City of God - Fernando Meirelles (2002)
Very entertaining account of life in the Brazilian favelas. Not much to say other than it was engaging. 6/10

Nashville - Robert Altman (1975)
I guess this is one of those movies that need context or a certain nostalgia to fully appreciate and I wasn't around in 1970s America so I didn't get too much into it. Gotta give props to it being the only musical I've seen in which the music happens contextually.

City of Lost Children - Jean-Pierre Jeunet (1995)
With Amelie, Delicatessen and then this one, the Jeunet/Caro collaboration never ceases to amaze me. Just like the other two, this film is a lot of fun and it is quite inventive visually. 7/10

La Strada - Federico Fellini (1954)
A totally Felliniesque film. This actress is a real ray of sunshine. 7/10

Breaking the Waves - Lars Von Trier (1996)
It seems like Von Trier likes to divide his films in specific parts. The movie as a whole works relatively well but the choice of music during the transitions from one chapter to the next was highly questionable. You are plunged in rural Scotland in a very modest and ecclesiastical setting but then you have the climax of Deep Purple's Child in Time running on a fix image for a complete minute? Not effective and totally out of place in my mind. I also would have loved to see the protagonist communicating with God in a better way than her just changing voice to indicate whether it's her or God who's speaking. I prefer Melancholia but I have to say this is a more ambitious and accomplished film. 7.5/10

Three Colours Trilogy - Krzysztof Kieslowski (1993-94)
First entry, Blue, was disappointing. It has some strong artistic features but they are not effective at all imo. I get the intention behind the long fade-outs interrupting dialogues but the desired result (representing time standing still for the main character) was not achieved in my experience. White was good but not very memorable but Red was extremely engaging and insightful. Blue - 5/10 White - 6/10 Red - 8/10 Whole - 7/10

Les Regles du Jeu - Jean Renoir (1939)
Another fun Renoir film but I was a lot less engaged with this one than with La Grande Illusion. 7/10 

Spirited Away - Hayao Miyazaki (2011)
Only my second Japanese Anime viewing from acclaimed director Miyazaki and another disappointment for me. I keep hearing from trustworthy sources how great Anime is but I can't seem to appreciate it too much. I probably would have marveled at this as a child though. 5/10

L'Avventura - Michelangelo Antonioni (1960)
Awesome visual experience. I felt like a tourist in Italy the whole time. The film is quite enigmatic throughout but it suffers from a complete lack of resolution which could have been handled more comprehensively. 7.5/10

Satantango - Bela Tarr (1994)
Definitely a top 5 director for me after this one. There are a lot of immensely skillful cinematographersbut Bela Tarr is in a league of his own. Who else can make a 8 hour long film with only 150 shots (way less than most 90 minutes flick today), each as enthralling as the next, and manage to keep the viewer completely immersed and insensitive to distractions? It was quite a profound experience. Eerie, hypnotic, philosophical. A true work of art. 9/10

Edited by Larkstongue41 - June 11 2018 at 12:54
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2018 at 15:36
The Post

Decent journalistic drama that documents military analyst Daniel Ellsberg who leaked the secret Pentagon study on the Vietnam War and its findings that the war was unwinnable with Meryl Streep just fine as Washington Post publisher Katharine Graham and Tom Hanks typically unconvincing as her chief editor.   Labelled a "historical political thriller", it is neither very thrilling nor very political and is more centered on the legal battle and Constitutional crisis these events caused, and in that sense is a pretty good if slowly unfolding depiction of a national emergency no less serious than Watergate.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2018 at 15:43
The Commuter

Completely ridiculous plot has the ever-present and increasingly bottom-barreling Liam Neeson trapped into setting up a crime witness who's to be murdered on the commuter train he rides daily.   Reaches entirely new levels of absurdity and not worth the time.

Edited by Atavachron - April 22 2018 at 16:08
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2018 at 17:57
Hostiles

Vivid depiction of the American plains circa 1890 as a bigoted cavalry captain (Christian Bale) and a small group of ragtag soldiers lead an imprisoned Cheyenne warcheif and his family back to their Montana homeland.   Written and directed by Scott Cooper, the story moves along without too much nonsense and though is both hyperviolent and ultra-realistic, does address some interesting themes of racism and intolerance.   However, character development is not what it could be and the film seems a bit clipped at times, letting the audience fill-in its own rationale instead of illustrating it properly, detracting from what otherwise could have been a great film.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2018 at 19:05
Black Panther

With the enormous popularity of this film, maybe my expectations were a bit too high.   Or perhaps I like something more in my superhero movies--  a well thought-out plot, complex characters, unexpected events, compelling outcomes.   Black Panther has some of that but not enough to prevent it from being what felt very much like a kid's flick.   They had the right idea ~ a highly advanced African nation struggling with whether to reveal their technology to the world and a hero-king with the powers of a panther and tech magic to back it up tasked to retrieve stolen vibranium, the fictional metal that is so central to most Marvel films ~ but the production is so busy with visuals and story so filled with unanswered questions that we're left with something that just doesn't hold up to, say, the Iron Man series (or even Avengers).

I get why Black Panther is so appealing and liked much of what it has to offer, but in the end I was reminded why depth of character and complex storytelling is so important.   Especially in fantasy cinema.

Edited by Atavachron - May 18 2018 at 19:07
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2018 at 17:59
Originally posted by Larkstongue41 Larkstongue41 wrote:

^ I love Stalker. One of two perfect Tarkovsky flims (along with Andrei Rublev; I might add The Mirror in the future). There's such an aura of mystery throughout and the way he reduces colour in select scenes makes it one of the most visually appealing films I've seen.

Long post incoming. I really should do these more often and develop my impressions more extensively but I'll try to keep it short for this time.

Melancholia - Lars Von Trier (2011)
First Von Trier film. Liked it a lot. Best portrayal of depression in cinema ever? Also quite stunning visually and I loved how he plunges you straight into the picture, no introductory credits or anything, just the title of the film and the director's name straight after the prologue. Although a bit on the cliche side, I liked the broader message of the film. 7.5/10

La Grande Illusion - Jean Renoir (1937)
Such a pleasant film. As a native french speaker, I don't remember ever hearing the french language used in such a refreshing and playful manner. Quite funny, some insightful socio-political commentary, and flwless cinematography all make up for a very enjoyable experience. 8/10

The Graduate - Mike Nichols (1967)
One of those highly acclaimed classics. I found it good at best. Apart from a few interesting shots, it was fairly unoriginal. I love Simon & Garfunkel but what was the director thinking in using "The Sound of Silence" in a scene that is supposed to show the protagonist having accomplished something  and then using "Scarborough Fair" 3 damned times in a row. That last one got me frustrated honestly. 5.5/10

Fanny & Alexander - Ingmar Begman (1982)
Decided to watch what many call the Bergman masterpiece after a long wait. I was disappointed. Bergman is one of those directors who had difficulty transitioning to colour imo (along with Fellini and Kurosawa). It serves the purpose of the film well in this case, but the colors in many of the shots make life seem bleak and dull. I've never seen a movie tackle the concept of imagination quite as skillfully as this one but I feel like it could have been developed in clearer and more meaningful way. I also can't wrap my mind around how Bergman intended this to be a series; four hours were more than enough. 6.5/10

Antichrist - Lars Von Trier (2009)
Again no introductory credit. The plot is nothing new, stories such as this one have been around for centuries but Von Trier has the skill to make it such an awful and troubling experience (which is entirely his purpose). He was able to make me look away from the screen in disgust which is enough for me to say that he is a very good director when it comes to convey emotion. Didn't like it nearly as much as Melancholia. 6/10

City of God - Fernando Meirelles (2002)
Very entertaining account of life in the Brazilian favelas. Not much to say other than it was engaging. 6/10

Nashville - Robert Altman (1975)
I guess this is one of those movies that need context or a certain nostalgia to fully appreciate and I wasn't around in 1970s America so I didn't get too much into it. Gotta give props to it being the only musical I've seen in which the music happens contextually.

City of Lost Children - Jean-Pierre Jeunet (1995)
With Amelie, Delicatessen and then this one, the Jeunet/Caro collaboration never ceases to amaze me. Just like the other two, this film is a lot of fun and it is quite inventive visually. 7/10

La Strada - Federico Fellini (1954)
A totally Felliniesque film. This actress is a real ray of sunshine. 7/10

Breaking the Waves - Lars Von Trier (1996)
It seems like Von Trier likes to divide his films in specific parts. The movie as a whole works relatively well but the choice of music during the transitions from one chapter to the next was highly questionable. You are plunged in rural Scotland in a very modest and ecclesiastical setting but then you have the climax of Deep Purple's Child in Time running on a fix image for a complete minute? Not effective and totally out of place in my mind. I also would have loved to see the protagonist communicating with God in a better way than her just changing voice to indicate whether it's her or God who's speaking. I prefer Melancholia but I have to say this is a more ambitious and accomplished film. 7.5/10

Three Colours Trilogy - Krzysztof Kieslowski (1993-94)
First entry, Blue, was disappointing. It has some strong artistic features but they are not effective at all imo. I get the intention behind the long fade-outs interrupting dialogues but the desired result (representing time standing still for the main character) was not achieved in my experience. White was good but not very memorable but Red was extremely engaging and insightful. Blue - 5/10 White - 6/10 Red - 8/10 Whole - 7/10

Les Regles du Jeu - Jean Renoir (1939)
Another fun Renoir film but I was a lot less engaged with this one than with La Grande Illusion. 7/10 

Spirited Away - Hayao Miyazaki (2011)
Only my second Japanese Anime viewing from acclaimed director Miyazaki and another disappointment for me. I keep hearing from trustworthy sources how great Anime is but I can't seem to appreciate it too much. I probably would have marveled at this as a child though. 5/10

L'Avventura - Michelangelo Antonioni (1960)
Awesome visual experience. I felt like a tourist in Italy the whole time. The film is quite enigmatic throughout but it suffers from a complete lack of resolution which could have been handled more comprehensively. 7.5/10

Satantango - Bela Tarr (1994)
Definitely a top 5 director for me after this one. There are a lot of immensely skillful cinematographersbut Bela Tarr is in a league of his own. Who else can make a 8 hour long film with only 150 shots (way less than most 90 minutes flick today), each as enthralling as the next, and manage to keep the viewer completely immersed and insensitive to distractions? It was quite a profound experience. Eerie, hypnotic, philosophical. A true work of art. 9/10

(not quite finished yet)

"La Strada" is my #2 all-time, but I think Fellini ditched the neo-realism unfortunately..

I was born in the 80s, but I can say a few things about Nashville... First of all, I'd keep in mind what had just happened -- Watergate, Nixon's resignation, and we were technically still in Vietnam while filming... So it starts with a man running for President in a time of apathy.. Notice the "Queen" of Nashville cares about nothing, "Except the Kennedy boys, but they were different."

I also think the story with 24 characters is there to show how our lives have an affect on other people, and in this case, directly... Notice how Kenny (soldier) is the only real nice guy, while everyone else has motivations that are superficial at best. When Mr. Green finally is fed up that his niece not only paid a 2-second visit to her aunt, but doesn't show up to the funeral, and Kenny goes after Mr. Green, and might have contributed.

I think it's to show how we basically destroyed ourselves with Vietnam.. (e.g., Keith Carradine asking how many babies the other solder killed, Scott something). Of course, he's the other soldier who stopped Kenny from killing more.

I think the movie is an inventory sheet, to see where America is at, and it doesn't look good. Men didn't go to Vietnam because they had a grudge against the Vietnamese, they went because they were ordered to, and it was the first time people said, "This is wrong, this is a lie, and I don't want to go." (Read about The Gulf of Tonkin - the lie that threw us in.... same tactics work today somehow, no memory).

If you have any questions, I'd be more than happy to answer them.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2018 at 18:13
The Cat (1971) -- 9/10 -Imagine a more naturalistic (and better) "Whose Afraid of Virginia Woolf" - with one of the great international actors ever - Jean Gabin.

Les Mepris -- 8/10 - I couldn't stand Godard's first movie, but this was great. I liked Jack Palance very much as well.

La Caza - 8/10 - I don't see many Spanish movies, but this has been the best. I love movies where men are in somewhat isolation, facing tension together, from the past and onto the present.

The Hill - 8/10 - Sean Connery and other soldiers trying to survive under an outdated penal system led by a sadistic man.

Cobra Kai (The Karate Kid series) -- 10 episodes, and boy I was surprised. The first 2 episodes on YouTUbe are free, but if you search, you can find the rest.

Harlan County USA - 10/10 -- amazing documentary on labor.

Jimmy Hoffa BIO - 10/10 -- greatest man from Michigan.. When Jimmy lost his rights, so did the working-people in a way.

American Dream - 9/10 --- Another fine documentary on the labor struggle.

Room 666 - 10/10 - Wim Wenders has questions for independent directors.

Milius - 10/10 -- Made some fine movies, good writer, too. I liked that wasn't stereotypical Hollywood.

Ingrid Bergman: In Her Own Words - 9/10 -- Didn't know much about her until this.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2018 at 21:02
Originally posted by MortSahlFan MortSahlFan wrote:

Cobra Kai (The Karate Kid series) -- 10 episodes, and boy I was surprised. The first 2 episodes on YouTUbe are free, but if you search, you can find the rest.

Watching it now, shockingly good -

Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2018 at 06:13
Saw Deadpool 2 yesterday. It was good thrill and some realy cool unsuspected twists, hilleriously funny, sad and a heavy hitting suprise. One of the toughes hitters in comics makes an enter, i will not spoil.

Edited by Icarium - May 20 2018 at 06:14
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2018 at 15:28
A Quiet Place

If you can get past the completely non-credible premise that people must remain silent or be attacked by an enormous homicidal monster, John Krasinski's treatment of a script by Bryan Woods & Scott Beck is generally entertaining and interestingly done, and is certainly an original take on the Wet Horror flick.   But the threshold one must pass to accept that a family can't make a sound, can't sneeze, drop something, make noises while asleep, or any other human eventuality, is a bit too much to accept as plausible.   Even in science fiction.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2018 at 15:37
Borg vs. McEnroe

Nearly compelling depiction of the rivalry between tennis greats Björn Borg and John McEnroe, with Shia LaBeouf typically excellent and perfectly cast as the obnoxious & cantankerous McEnroe and Sverrir Gudnason doing a good job playing Borg.   But not much is revealed about either the game of tennis or of the close friendship the two athletes eventually formed, two things that would've made the film much more engaging.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 177178179180181 215>