Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 179180181182183 215>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2018 at 03:17
Mission:Impossible - Fallout

Nicely woven sixth chapter with surprisingly smart (if typically absurd) action, dialog and plotting has the IMF after a cache of plutonium and a phantom menace.   Lots of movement and twists without being too much to take in, this may be the best of the series so far with buff Henry Cavill an effective foil to Tom Cruise's lean-mean-machine and Liang Ying in a great bathroom fight scene.   Best action film right now in a sparse and disappointing movie season.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2018 at 03:30
^ This one came as a surprise..excellent indeed. As good as the first one.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2019 at 23:39
First Man

Ryan Gosling as a brooding and grim Neil Armstrong during his preparations for the Moon landing in 1969 featuring excellent photography, atmosphere and effects.   Unfortunately more than half the film centers on his domestic problems and though Claire Foy is very good as his wife, Armstrong's marital issues are not really what we are interested in and most of it feels like filler as we pine for the actual NASA training, spaceflight and eventual voyage to the lunar surface.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
florahope35 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote florahope35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2019 at 09:13
I have so many gems to share but I will start with these 3:

My top:
1. Game of Thrones = watching 
2. The Walking Dead = just awesome! ​​​​​​​
3. The Flash 2014 = watching 

Also I like Star Trek Discovery and The Big Bang Theory
florahope35 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote florahope35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2019 at 09:32
I posted about my favorite Shows. Now recently watched movies...

1) Venom
PLOT: When Eddie Brock acquires the powers of a symbiote, he will have to release his alter-ego "Venom" to save his life. more

Really enjoyed this. It was great seeing Venom and Riot. Although the movie deviates a lot from the comics. 8/10

2) Aquaman 
PLOT: Arthur Curry learns that he is the heir to the underwater kingdom of Atlantis, and must step forward to lead his people and be a hero to the world. more

I loved this movie. I watched it with my son and we had fun. It is a bit on the long side so we took a 10 minute break but we both think that the special effects were awesome. 8/10

3)The Predator
PLOT: When a young boy accidentally triggers the universe's most lethal hunters' return to Earth, only a ragtag crew of ex-soldiers and a disgruntled science teacher can prevent the end of the human race. more

Very good movie. They really went all out with the budget. 7/10

------

These are my favorite of 2018. Enjoy :)

Edited by florahope35 - February 16 2019 at 09:39
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2019 at 11:35
Bohemian Rhapsody

Deeply moving, heartbreakingly honest, wonderfully human and musically spectacular rendering of Freddy Mercury and Queen from their beginnings through to the end of Freddy's amazing life & career that blows the roof off the place (like the band did at LiveAid in '85).   If Rami Malek does not win the Academy's Best Actor, I'll never watch that sh*t show again.

Oh, Freddy, we love and miss you, and your and Queen's music will be a light for all to follow.   God bless you.

MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2019 at 14:16
Death in Venice - 7.5/10
Last Chants For a Slow Dance - 8/10
Made For Each Other - 9/10
Lovers and Other Strangers - 8/10
On The Bowery - 8/10
A Thousand Million - 8/10
His Days Are Numbered - 8/10
The Straight Story - 9/10
Something Wild - 8/10
The Sign of the Leo - 9/10
The Forest For the Trees - 8/10
Coup de Tete - 8/10
A Bad Son - 8/10
Series Noire - 8/10
Mr. Klein - 8/10
The Face of Another - 9/10
Cairo 30 - 8.5/10
The Outfit - 8/10
Chitchat on the Nile - 9/10
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2019 at 01:01
The Girl in the Spider's Web

Superb action-drama with chameleon Claire Foy as vigilante Lisbeth Salander in the followup/reboot to Girl with the Dragon Tattoo as she tracks down her sister's sinister spy ring while protecting a child.   Classy stuff, best female-led action in years, well worth it.

Edited by Atavachron - February 22 2019 at 01:58
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2019 at 23:28
The Predator

Not reboot or sequel, The Predator is closer to a reiteration of the 1987 classic that is uninspired, frugal, derivative and dull even though it's filled with action.   It neither emulates nor improves on the original and takes the easy way at almost every turn.   Too bad.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2019 at 02:22
Widows

When their criminal husbands are killed, three widowed wives must find a way of returning a gangster's stolen money and exact some revenge in the process.   Done in an underground film style and with a foot in both the crime fiction genre and true-world reality, Widows spins a sordid but compelling tale of ordinary people pushed to the limit in an unfamiliar world of violence and corruption in Chicago's seedy underbelly.

Edited by Atavachron - February 25 2019 at 12:43
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2019 at 03:41
Can You Ever Forgive Me?

Has-been writer Melissa McCarthy who lives with her cat and drinks too much starts forging letters by famous literary authors to make ends meet.   Not entirely believable but fun and reasonably sympathetic, based on a real person and produced by people who've seen a lot of Woody Allen movies.

Edited by Atavachron - February 27 2019 at 23:22
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2019 at 23:19
Mary Queen of Scots

Well-intentioned but overproduced and self-serving melodrama about two sisters who both have a claim to the British crown, one a protestant and one a catholic.   Great costumes, lighting, sets and makeup, but little humanity, gravity or plot development.   Disappointing. 

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2019 at 01:26
The Favourite

Madly bizarre and grotesquely caricatured depiction of 18th Century British royalty during Queen Anne's reign and the scheming between a Duchess and Baroness close to her.   Taking place during the War of the Spanish Succession, the plotting and characters are so convoluted and repulsive it's hard to care much beyond watching this spectacle unfold into the twisted horror-play it is.   Certainly more interesting and innovative than the other recent period piece, Mary Queen of Scots, the film deserves some credit for its bold originality.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2019 at 01:46

• Picture 1 of 4

Edited by Atavachron - March 18 2019 at 01:47
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2019 at 23:43
Stan & Ollie

Affectionate and clever depiction of the comedy legends in the years after their heyday during a unstable time in their career.   John C. Reilley and Steve Coogan are brilliant and perfectly cast as the duo struggling to remain significant in a new age of television, Abbott & Costello, and postwar culture.   Engaging without being melodramatic, Stan & Ollie is a fine if incomplete tribute to two of the greatest physical comedians in cinema.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2019 at 17:50
Aquaman

What a piece of doo-doo.

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2019 at 10:36
Passengers, starring Chris Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence.

The trailer didn't impress me (at all), and I expected to not like this, but I did. The story itself isn't original, but it's well done and has very nice visuals. The sparse cast is a plus. 
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2019 at 06:15
^ I just watched Passengers last week. I enjoyed it also.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2019 at 01:35
Vice

Christian Bale is spellbinding as Dick Cheney in a film partaking of Oliver Stone and a tradition of American political biopics ~ a lot of handheld cameras, dramatic editing, rousing music, and a strong whiff of the ugly truth ~ Vice splays out the creepiest, smarmiest and most unethical of Conservative politics in the 1970s & '80s with Cheney always at the heart of power in Washington.   Flawless cast, innovative script, well paced, an excellent pairing with W. or Nixon .

BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2019 at 06:18
Friede and I just watched this:

somehow a fitting movie for us, though the aliens did have eyelashes. music by Tangerine Dream

Edited by BaldJean - April 04 2019 at 06:19

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 179180181182183 215>